[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

THE 2015 NBA playoff thread
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

6/17/2015  11:49 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:Lin would never have the ball in Cleveland. A pass 1st PG is a waste with Lebron because he would never have the ball

I think you are right...LeBron is showing his physical limitations and they need a player who can get into the lane consistently if they are running that offense(Woody's offense)..It's the only way Love, JR and Shump can get off..

AUTOADVERT
holfresh

6/17/2015  11:51 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Have not seen enough of Wiggins this year, but an interesting theory. Love did help to spread things out a bit, and Irving would have taken a lot of offensive pressure off James.

Always a tradeoff with players- not always easy to get a player who is great on both ends.

Let's try this, for example.

Remove the Cavs bizarre trades for Luol Deng and Spencer Hawes, which cost them three valuable draft picks in an ill fated attempt to make the playoffs the year before LBJ came back.

IF LBJ had simply committed to Cleveland early in free agency and was willing to leave money on the table ( Sadly, seeing some of the press at the time, he equated the amount of money he makes to how much respect he gets ) , then the Cavs could have kept another draft asset and kept Sergey Karasev and Tyler Zeller, two former first rounders, young guys with upside and nice pedigree, they might not be stars, but they might have been far more useful than old roster churn like James Jones and Shawn Marion.

Trading Wiggins ending up being a triple hit. First, Wiggins, plus Bennett, were young rookies on COST CONTROLLED CONTRACTS. They would have gotten elite play out of Wiggins, plus his prime, plus him outperforming his contract over and over exponentially for years. Instead, they traded him for the lesser defender but, in theory, the better scorer, who would need a massive contract extension to justify the move. It was adding a poor fit, far less defense and avoided the issue that LBJ needed help on the defensive perimeter ( hence the Shumpert trade) That's the three hits, they lose the value of Wiggins and a superior fit, they add a poor fit and a massive amount of cap flexibility and they had to spend more valuable assets to replace Wiggins with a lesser situation ( Shumpert) to make up for the defensive issues.

LBJ, as de facto GM of the Cavs, could have still made a deal for Mozgov, never spent money on Varejao ( that's like burning money) and feeding his old buddy Mike Miller ( totally shot at this point) and never had to spend what will be soon a massive extension for Love ( or risk him leaving)

The Cavs could have then traded Irving ( simply cannot have another ball dominant player fit with LBJ) and maybe Waiters for other assets.

The Cavs could have been LBJ, Wiggins, all those draft picks back, and massive cap space plus Mozgov, Zeller and Karasev and what is now Delladova and whatever return they could have gotten on trading Irving, Waiters and maybe Thompson.

The Cavs could have picked up a Jimmy Butler or a DeMarre Carroll in free agency plus all the assets they didn't burn, maybe they grab a nice young rookie in this draft too.

Instead, now he's on a team that's stuck. They gave up a lot for Mozgov and Love, so they have to extend them. Varejao and Miller are dead weight. And over time, injury and poor fit will slowly erode Irvings' overall trade value.

LBJ could have won this year's ring and the next four. But he's a lousy GM.

Thats a good post. Its so true--when the players act as de facto GM its almost always they get it wrong. I said the Wiggins trade would backfire on him--look back on this site to how many fans thought it was a good trade. It was AWFUL just moronic traded the number 1 pick +++ for K Love who is hurt every year has padded stats and looks like he did not get along with his teammates same as Minny?

Don't you want Melo to play GM in another thread??

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/17/2015  12:27 PM
Ha, poetic justice as their owner was one of the chief leaders of the lockout and helped construct this cba to thwart super teams like Miami:

The Cleveland Cavaliers are facing an exploding payroll in 15-16 that could be between $100 million and $110 million.

Kyrie Irving's five-year, $90 million extension represents a huge increase and Tristan Thompson is expected to sign a max or near max contract in restricted free agency.

Iman Shumpert and Matthew Dellavedova will also be restricted free agents, while LeBron James, Kevin Love and J.R. Smith will all also become free agents.

With that type of salary, Dan Gilbert and the Cavaliers could face $75 million in luxury tax payments.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238229/Cavs-Luxury-Tax-Bill-Could-Hit-$75M-In-15-16.

They likely need to chose between Love and Thompson, though they may be willing to take the one year cap hit before the cap explodes

JesseDark
Member: #467
6/17/2015  12:43 PM
I think this is going to be a more frustrating off season for LeBron than others when he has not won the chip. It's not like he can say I need to get stronger or I need to improve my handle in order for us to win it all. He just needs better players around him.
Bring back dee-fense
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2015  1:06 PM
Paul Coro: The 2010 Suns’ GM (Steve Kerr), coach (Alvin Gentry), president (Rick Welts), players (Leandro Barbosa & Jarron Collins), video asst. (Nick U’Ren) and scout (Bruce Fraser) get a ring.

Ethan Strauss: Victorious Gentry: “Tell Mike D’Antoni he’s vindicated! We just kicked everyone’s ass playing the way everybody complained about!”

Suns had bad matchups going against power teams. GS got great opportunity

holfresh

6/17/2015  1:36 PM
Nalod wrote:
Paul Coro: The 2010 Suns’ GM (Steve Kerr), coach (Alvin Gentry), president (Rick Welts), players (Leandro Barbosa & Jarron Collins), video asst. (Nick U’Ren) and scout (Bruce Fraser) get a ring.

Ethan Strauss: Victorious Gentry: “Tell Mike D’Antoni he’s vindicated! We just kicked everyone’s ass playing the way everybody complained about!”

Victorious Gentry: “Tell Mike D’Antoni he’s vindicated! We just kicked everyone’s ass playing the way everybody complained about!”[/Tweet]

MDA beat you to it..He was on the wire taking credit for GS success already...Basically giving Gentry the credit for GS..
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/17/2015  1:46 PM
Nalod wrote:

Praise for MDA...

All about the players.

There's a reason MDA coveted Curry in that draft.

The big issue is that GS, for the most part, has two way players usually out on the court. That's why Lee played so little, this year, and why they eventually took Bogut out.

Every guy in their starting lineup the last 3 games could hit 3s if open, were unselfish, and were willing to play D.

MDA had stars like Anthony and Amare- basically one way players, other players who could play well offensively, OR defensively, but not both.

You are right about the power teams.

Also heard Magic on the radio this morning. I think he was asked about GS's standing in terms of other champions. He said the Bird Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, and his Lakers would have killed them in the post.

I think this will be an issue for teams in the West who want to beat GS. Do you try to beat them at their own game, or do you go big and try to make them pay in the post.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Nalod
USA
6/17/2015  2:00 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Praise for MDA...

All about the players.

The big issue is that GS, for the most part, has two way players usually out on the court. That's why Lee played so little, this year, and why they eventually took Bogut out.

Every guy in their starting lineup the last 3 games could hit 3s if open, were unselfish, and were willing to play D.

MDA had stars like Anthony and Amare- basically one way players, other players who could play well offensively, OR defensively, but not both.

Also heard Magic on the radio this morning. I think he was asked about GS's standing in terms of other champions. He said the Bird Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, and his Lakers would have killed them in the post.

I think this will be an issue for teams in the West who want to beat GS. Do you try to beat them at their own game, or do you go big and try to make them pay in the post.

The NBA has a parity thing going on and no super teams at the moment. GS was the best this year and has the regular season record to prove it. I read and posted months about it months ago that the training table would determine who comes out. Not an originl thought but you had about 10 good teams out west and maybe 3 in the east.

Okc with recent MVP superstar Kevin durant going out could not even make it. GS had it easy as most teams guard play was injured. if GS had to contend with Ibaka and Westbrook it would have been much harder let alone Durant. Fact is Curry really didn't have to guard anyone.

For all the praise on Draymond they left him open for 3 games. Really, him and Iggy won the series as they tried to contain Klay and Curry. there are no Power guys in the post and in all actuality on paper GS should have swept Cavs with the Knicks parts bin all that was left to feast on. Lebron was that good.

DOn't get me wrong, IM not knocking the GSW and PHil was going by historical measure when he said the 3 was unstainable thru the playoffs. THis year he was wrong, maybe it was the lack of power mixed with the speed of GSW. In past years teams would be more physical with a finess team like SAS did with suns when they broke Nash's nose.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/17/2015  2:08 PM
Nalod wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Praise for MDA...

All about the players.

The NBA has a parity thing going on and no super teams at the moment. GS was the best this year and has the regular season record to prove it. I read and posted months about it months ago that the training table would determine who comes out. Not an originl thought but you had about 10 good teams out west and maybe 3 in the east.

Okc with recent MVP superstar Kevin durant going out could not even make it. GS had it easy as most teams guard play was injured. if GS had to contend with Ibaka and Westbrook it would have been much harder let alone Durant. Fact is Curry really didn't have to guard anyone.

For all the praise on Draymond they left him open for 3 games. Really, him and Iggy won the series as they tried to contain Klay and Curry. there are no Power guys in the post and in all actuality on paper GS should have swept Cavs with the Knicks parts bin all that was left to feast on. Lebron was that good.

DOn't get me wrong, IM not knocking the GSW and PHil was going by historical measure when he said the 3 was unstainable thru the playoffs. THis year he was wrong, maybe it was the lack of power mixed with the speed of GSW. In past years teams would be more physical with a finess team like SAS did with suns when they broke Nash's nose.

Maybe you're not knocking GSW. But it sounds like you at least think they were one of the weakest championship teams ever.
Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:11 PM
I don't think their path was particularly weak. For starters, they're in the west, and they had to beat 3 50+ win teams. How about the 1999 Spurs? They had to beat a barely .500 team that was missing its top player in the finals.
I'm thinking people just don't like Golden State's roster/approach and are looking for any reason they can come up with to minimize what they've achieved.
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/17/2015  2:19 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:I don't think their path was particularly weak. For starters, they're in the west, and they had to beat 3 50+ win teams. How about the 1999 Spurs? They had to beat a barely .500 team that was missing its top player in the finals.
I'm thinking people just don't like Golden State's roster/approach and are looking for any reason they can come up with to minimize what they've achieved.

3 +50 teams missing vital players

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/17/2015  2:23 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:I don't think their path was particularly weak. For starters, they're in the west, and they had to beat 3 50+ win teams. How about the 1999 Spurs? They had to beat a barely .500 team that was missing its top player in the finals.

It requires a change in the way people approach the game and think about it to embrace GSW. GSW reminds me a LOT of D'Antoni's early Suns teams with Nash as MVP and Marion playing the Draymond Green role. They had some bad luck with injuries and had to face a Spurs team still near Duncan's peak, as well as Kobe near his peak from 2005-2009. But those MDA teams showed a way and GSW capitalized on that.

No shock that Kerr was in the front office of the Suns for the latter part of that run and Alvin Gentry who was on D'Antoni's staff and coached that Suns team to the conference finals after MDA left even said it last night: "Tell Mike D'Antoni he was right!"

Too bad MDA can't even get a job now.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:

3 +50 teams missing vital players

3 teams? I'm pretty sure you're too bright to think that is a truthful statement.
holfresh

6/17/2015  2:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:27 PM

Not really..You aren't looking at the entire picture...Cavs gave them all they could handle with 2 all start missing...Houston was missing Beverly their best perimeter defender..They had two almost 38 yr olds chasing Curry..Then they faced Memphis where Conley and Allen were hurt...

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/17/2015  2:28 PM
holfresh wrote:

Not really..You aren't looking at the entire picture...Cavs gave them all they could handle with 2 all start missing...Houston was missing Beverly their best perimeter defender..They had two almost 38 yr olds chasing Curry..Then they faced Conley and Allen who were hurt...

Bottom line for me is that the best basketball I saw all playoffs was the first round Clippers / Spurs series.

Clippers won that and I thought it would propel them to the WCF at least. They, as always, disappointed.

Funny how Chris Paul's credentials never get questioned. He's the same age as Bron and Melo and I don't think he's ever even gotten past the second round.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:29 PM
holfresh wrote:

Not really..You aren't looking at the entire picture...Cavs gave them all they could handle with 2 all start missing...Houston was missing Beverly their best perimeter defender..They had two almost 38 yr olds chasing Curry..Then they faced Conley and Allen who were hurt...

If you're going to say that a series win is invalid or even diminished because a guy at the level of Patrick Beverly was out, you're basically invalidating 90 plus percent of NBA playoff series.
Nalod
USA
6/17/2015  2:35 PM
crzymdups wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Bottom line for me is that the best basketball I saw all playoffs was the first round Clippers / Spurs series.

Clippers won that and I thought it would propel them to the WCF at least. They, as always, disappointed.

Funny how Chris Paul's credentials never get questioned. He's the same age as Bron and Melo and I don't think he's ever even gotten past the second round.

That series Clippers were depleted after them and spurs duked it out hard.

Bonn, GSW had faced teams with injuries in vital areas that made them more suseptable. Memphis Perimeter defense suffered with Conley and Allen hurt and they ran them off the court. Grizz power game needs perimeter defense.

Houstan, Dwight's hurt his knee and they had the grampas playing guard. GSW best tadem backcourt in the country. Harden and JSmooth not enough. Sorry, Im not knocking GSW but not putting them up there with all time great teams. Lets not forget they damn near went down 0-3!

I give credit where its due and all champions need luck. Even Kerr is on record to say they had it and good fortune to be healthy. Thats good planning, good staff, smart coaching, great shooting, etc etc!!!

holfresh

6/17/2015  2:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:40 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

If you're going to say that a series win is invalid or even diminished because a guy at the level of Patrick Beverly was out, you're basically invalidating 90 plus percent of NBA playoff series.

Not at all..Injuries are part of the game..Don't forget DHow just came back from injury as well...He was out almost half the year..But if you are classifying them as an all time great team, well you have to look at it through another lens..

Bonn1997
USA
6/17/2015  2:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:42 PM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Not at all..Injuries are part of the game..Don't forget DHow just came back from injury as well...He was out almost half the year..But if you are classifying them as an all time great team, well you have to look at it through another lens..

It depends on what you mean by all time great. I think the article in the other thread showing them statistically to be a top 15 team is about right.
Dwight wasn't exactly just coming back. He played the final 11 regular season games and next 17 playoff games. He was almost 30 games back.
holfresh

6/17/2015  2:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2015  2:44 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

It depends on what you mean by all time great. I think the article in the other thread showing them statistically to be a top 15 team is about right.
Dwight wasn't exactly just coming back. He played the final 11 regular season games and next 17 playoff games. He was almost 30 games back.

He was on minutes restrictions like Amare..20 mins per game..Even continued in the playoffs..

THE 2015 NBA playoff thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy