[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

THE 2015 NBA playoff thread
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/19/2015  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  10:27 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Flu Tyson is gone. 11 pts, 18 rbss. That Rondo trade killed the Mavs though.
Harden showed how important versatility is on offense. Even when his shot isn't falling, he scored in the 20s and had double digit assists. Holfresh, do you think they would have won the game without him last night or are you just nit-picking?

I'm nit-picking for sure and no, I don't think the Rockets could have won without his efforts...Did you see the game???..Don't seem so...But he didn't do anything that dozens of other players could have done in that game..It wasn't very Harden-like that we have become accustomed to, or maybe it's the playoffs again...Harden padded his stat with a series of intentions fouls to stop the clock at the end of the game..The Mav's, Ellis and Rondo, were brilliant keeping him from going left and out of the lane..Add to that the flops and you know the rest..But the guy who set the tone of the game was DHow whose defense propelled the Rockets twice to double digit leads..Harden's defense was the worse I had seen of any player this season in the NBA...And I'm not just saying that...He ran away from plays, literally, I saw it twice...Ran out of the way of a player driving...Hubie Brown once commented Harden, ah come on...I just found it fascinating that advanced stat guys might be drooling at his numbers from this game...

Parsons not being healthy did in the Mav's not Rondo..Flu Tyson got his numbers off Rondo getting to the cup where he had put backs...Brewer put the game away hitting 3 threes down the stretch, assist from Harden...

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/19/2015  10:28 AM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Flu Tyson is gone. 11 pts, 18 rbss. That Rondo trade killed the Mavs though.
Harden showed how important versatility is on offense. Even when his shot isn't falling, he scored in the 20s and had double digit assists. Holfresh, do you think they would have won the game without him last night or are you just nit-picking?

I'm nit-picking for sure and no, I don't think the Rockets could have won without his efforts...Did you see the game???..Don't seem so...But he didn't do anything that dozens of other players could have done in that game..It wasn't very Harden-like that we have become accustomed to, or maybe it's the playoffs again...Harden padded his stat with a series of intentions fouls to stop the clock at the end of the game..The Mav's, Ellis and Rondo, were brilliant keeping him from going left and out of the lane..Add to that the flops and you know the rest..But the guy who set the tone of the game was DHow whose defense propelled the Rockets twice to double digit leads..Harden's defense was the worse I had seen of any player this season in the NBA...And I'm not just saying that...He ran away from plays, literally, I saw it twice...Ran out of the way of a player driving...Hubie Brown once commented Harden, ah come on...I just found it fascinating that advanced stat guys might be drooling at his numbers from this game...

Parsons not being healthy did in the Mav's not Rondo..Flu Tyson got his numbers off Rondo getting to the cup where he had put backs...

Tyson doesn't need Rondo to average double digit scoring. He's done that for years. The Mavs winning percentage dropped almost .200 points after the Rondo trade. That trade did kill them.

holfresh

4/19/2015  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  10:33 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Parsons not being healthy did in the Mav's not Rondo..Flu Tyson got his numbers off Rondo getting to the cup where he had put backs...

Tyson doesn't need Rondo to average double digit scoring. He's done that for years. The Mavs winning percentage dropped almost .200 points after the Rondo trade. That trade did kill them.

BS...We saw it with here what Felton getting into the lane did for Tyson...Same thing happened yesterday, Without Rondo missing layups, Tyson had zero put back opportunities..

holfresh

4/19/2015  10:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  10:37 AM
dk7th wrote:
holfresh wrote:Dk7..Here are 7 shooting guards who are better defenders than Harden using my eye test...Tony Allen, Dwayne Wade, Shumpert, JR Smith, Thabo Sefolosha, Klay Thompson, Avery Bradley...

i said among starting shooting guards, meaning 30 minutes a game or more. yes there are bench players who end up playing starters minutes so i use 30 minutes to erase the problem. among all guards who play 30 minutes or more a game he is 9th this season. his net impact on defense is just a little above zero, meaning he does not hurt his team on defense this season. last year he posted a -2.84 and was 20th so you would have had a viable argument a year ago.

that was then this is now:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2

sefalosha is a small forward, avery bradley is a point guard.

Bradley came in the league as a PG..Remember Doc switching him to the 2 and Bradley starting ahead of Ray Allen where he also defended 2s...Thabo is a SF but defends both position..H

Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2015  10:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  10:42 AM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

BS...We saw it with here what Felton getting into the lane did for Tyson...Same thing happened yesterday, Without Rondo missing layups, Tyson had zero put back opportunities..

Of course he's going to be dependent on having an NBA level backcourt player who can get into the lane, and it's obvious that sometimes those shots will be misses. If a team doesn't have an NBA level backcourt member who can penetrate, it has even bigger problems than anything related to Tyson though.

holfresh

4/19/2015  10:48 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Of course he's going to be dependent on having an NBA level backcourt player who can get into the lane, and it's obvious that sometimes those shots will be misses. If a team doesn't have an NBA level backcourt member who can penetrate, it has even bigger problems than anything related to Tyson though.

The game is moving away from players who penetrate and to those who shoot threes...You should be happy...

Bonn1997
USA
4/19/2015  11:07 AM
There are more 3s but that's because mid-range shots, not layups, are decreasing
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/19/2015  11:22 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Man Dantoni said the Knicks wouldn't have minutes for brewer. Walsh/Dantoni was awful.

We had decimated our roster in the Melo trade and had no bench- we then let a serviceable player go for no reason whatsoever because we couldn't find minutes for him?! We were playing billy walker!

holfresh

4/19/2015  11:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  11:26 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:There are more 3s but that's because mid-range shots, not layups, are decreasing

I see Curry pull up at the three on fast breaks time and time again...Check out Penny Hardaway highlights on youtube when u get time, he would have been a three point shooter in today's game..The game was so much better aesthetically during his time as apposed to what's happening now...Yet Lebron and Tim Duncan of the world keep winning Championships shooting twos and mid-range jumpers..Our failed front offices haven't been able to get one decent healthy offensive player to help Melo...Not one...It' like Ewing all over again..I've witnessed it but I can't believe it's happening, again...

Here is what's interesting tho with advanced stats...Harden has been told to take threes or layups to be efficient..Teams are shutting down his penetration in the playoffs..Offensively he looks lost because he hasn't worked on his mid-range game all year...He missed a few threes to start the game and loses confidence...I hope it's Houston's undoing...

smackeddog
4/19/2015  11:25 AM
As usual, most of the teams I was rooting for lost! Only win was Wiz vs Raptors, and I'm only hoping they win to avenge all that crowing and trash talking DJ was serving earlier this season.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/19/2015  11:29 AM
Nets/Hawks should be interesting. I think that series goes at least 6 games.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/19/2015  11:30 AM
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

The game is moving away from players who penetrate and to those who shoot threes...You should be happy...

Holfresh, I agree with most of what you are saying in terms of the Mavs/Rockets game (I acrtually watched the game as well). With that said, I disagree with the game is moving away from guards who can penetrate. The game has actually turned into a drive and kick league. Guys might not be getting all the way to the cup like in years past, (Save for the elite like Kyrie, Tony Parker, etc), but guards are needed to get into the paint, draw the help defender and kick it out for a three.

The new thing now, or at least the last several years is for the guard to penetrate on the strong side to the baseline, almost under the basket and out of bounds, and whip a pass across the court (under the basket) to the baseline weakside for a corner 3. This is an actual play that a lot of teams run to stretch the floor. As a coach, I have dozens of recent coaching clinics on dvds where I study skills, drills and plays and they are doing this even in HS.

smackeddog
4/19/2015  12:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Nets/Hawks should be interesting. I think that series goes at least 6 games.

Although I'd prefer the Hawks to win, if they lost it would make their free agents more obtainable, giving us more options.

holfresh

4/19/2015  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2015  12:28 PM
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Holfresh, I agree with most of what you are saying in terms of the Mavs/Rockets game (I acrtually watched the game as well). With that said, I disagree with the game is moving away from guards who can penetrate. The game has actually turned into a drive and kick league. Guys might not be getting all the way to the cup like in years past, (Save for the elite like Kyrie, Tony Parker, etc), but guards are needed to get into the paint, draw the help defender and kick it out for a three.

The new thing now, or at least the last several years is for the guard to penetrate on the strong side to the baseline, almost under the basket and out of bounds, and whip a pass across the court (under the basket) to the baseline weakside for a corner 3. This is an actual play that a lot of teams run to stretch the floor. As a coach, I have dozens of recent coaching clinics on dvds where I study skills, drills and plays and they are doing this even in HS.

True, MDA made it a drive and kick league but remember the days when 2 guards and SF used to go hard to the hole..Now only PGs go hard if they do at all..

But take a look at Harden..Dallas took away his left hand penetration and he struggled offensively...This is an MVP candidate..Your offensive game should to be more versatile in this 3 ball era..He can't post and he doesn't have another spot where he catches the ball other than the top of the key...I think if he had a mid-range game his numbers would have been better..But they won and a win is a win..But that's why I love the playoffs, all these flaws are exposed...

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/19/2015  1:00 PM
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

True, MDA made it a drive and kick league but remember the days when 2 guards and SF used to go hard to the hole..Now only PGs go hard if they do at all..

But take a look at Harden..Dallas took away his left hand penetration and he struggled offensively...This is an MVP candidate..Your offensive game should to be more versatile in this 3 ball era..He can't post and he doesn't have another spot where he catches the ball other than the top of the key...I think if he had a mid-range game his numbers would have been better..But they won and a win is a win..But that's why I love the playoffs, all these flaws are exposed...

I remember Garden's midrange game being more prominent in OKC. The
at's shifted in Houston. Im not sure how much success Houston will have with this system in the playoffs, especially with McHale as coach. I think teams have to at least give the illusion of being threats from every position on the court.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
holfresh

4/19/2015  1:08 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

I remember Harden's midrange game being more prominent in OKC. The
at's shifted in Houston. Im not sure how much success Houston will have with this system in the playoffs, especially with McHale as coach. I think teams have to at least give the illusion of being threats from every position on the court.

Agreed, but if you don't use it all year then you are out of practice..

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/19/2015  1:18 PM
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Kevin Durant got exposed in the playoffs as well because he does not have a post game.

Lebron was exposed until he developed a post game.

Kobe and MJ developed post games.

Harden needs development just like the rest of them. Nobody is perfect and therefore, will get exposed and be forced to address the issue(s)

so here is what phil is thinking ....
holfresh

4/19/2015  1:33 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

Kevin Durant got exposed in the playoffs as well because he does not have a post game.

Harden needs development just like the rest of them. Nobody is perfect and therefore, will get exposed and be forced to address the issue(s)

The point being made is that their front office is against this...It's not regarded as an efficient way to score...

mreinman
Member: #3189

4/19/2015  1:55 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

The point being made is that their front office is against this...It's not regarded as an efficient way to score...

everyone is pretty much against long 2's and its ROI at this point.

Nobody is against having a post game.

Duncan, Wade and Parker are players who just can't shoot 3's yet they do a good enough job in the mid range game to still be efficient.

The premise that you can't win with a system that avoids mid range shots, the jury is still out on that.

Houston, Cleveland, SA, GS, Atlanta and Toronto are all in the bottom 10 in shots attempted between 16 feet and the 3 point line with GS taking the most of this group at 15.4% of their FGA's. Curry is an excellent mid range shooter which is not the norm. This shot is not efficient now and it never was yet of course there are exceptions now just like there were always exceptions.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/19/2015  1:56 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Uptown wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
holfresh wrote:

you may have a point here. add dirk to that list, and wade was not bad either. then again, some of these so-called post games end up being fadeaway step-backs in the dreaded midrange. and as i recall you may have an issue with the midrange shot?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
THE 2015 NBA playoff thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy