[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

this year should be all about gearing up for 2005-2006 and beyond
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/1/2004  4:40 PM
i think we should make the playoffs almost by accident again with what there is in the east--and EVEN if we didnt--i wouldnt care.

The way I see us getting out of this nightmare is

A--having a nice lottery pick and perhaps another mid range pick

B-- Following Next year we have 34 mm in ending contracts

C-- if we dont sign any long term contracts, we will have multiple roster spots open

D--part of the goal this year has to be the advancement of FW MS and we will see with guys like demarr ariza and chan--if they can make a statement

E-If we spend money --spend it on youth. Steven Jackson is an unrestricted FA worth 20 mm for 4 years. Its very unlikely we will get any of these RFA's--if they think they really can get Dampier--well go for it with our payroll and really try to win--but we need a solid secondary plan if we cant get him. We dont want to be stuck in a position where we sign an RFA--stuck for 15 days to see many other guys get signed. Steven Jackson + Dampier are the guys URFA I would spend 5mm per on. Rodney White is a guy I would spend 2mm per for 2-3 years--something of that ilk.

try to win this season, but the goal for the knicks is to be a big time player next off-season. If we cant get a Dampier--we still need to get a young C and depending on the advancement of Mike S the 4 position as well.

When i look at our roster, im still not in love with anything. we have a shooting G who will be 34 with bad knees. Tim Thomas is just so questionable who lacks toughness--do we have a C? we still need a great deal of information on our younger players. the only staple is Marbury.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/1/2004  4:43 PM
Brigs why do you avoid the truth to always prove your points... Alan Houston will be 33, not 34, you do this all the time.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/1/2004  4:50 PM
i agree in that i'd like to build up our chips for next season's draft & trading period...another 1st round pick would be great to add w/the ending contracts of Penny, TT & Nazr.

i also agree that signing a young guy w/upside like Jamal Crawford would be ideal for the MLE...i don't see much of a shot at all at guys like Rasheed, Dampier or Camby anyway...Stephen Jackson is not needed imo, unless you were trading Tim Thomas in a deal for a bigman...i consider him as a SF anyway, so what's the point in signing another swingman when you already have a glut at the position now? that's a Scott Layden move.

if you can get Mark Blount or Etan Thomas w/the MLE, i wouldn't mind either, but i'd want to trade KT for JC in that case.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BigAppleStar3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #683
USA
7/1/2004  4:56 PM
Why are people so obsessed with 2006-2007? We are not clearing cap! Mark my words. Isiah Thomas will never ever lose Allan Houston or Tim Thomas without getting something back! I can almost guarantee he will trade H20 with a year remaining on his deal for an impact player.

TMS
USA
7/1/2004  5:01 PM
i said i want to have chips to make deals with for next season...that includes trades btw...i didn't mean to say i wanted to get under the cap...that's not happening regardless next year.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Ray15
Member: #668
7/1/2004  5:06 PM
Briggs,

We are not in the horrible situation you think we are in. Aside from Penny, Isiah has yet to bring in subpar players with huge contracts ala Layden. You think we are going in the wrong direction, constantly citing the Moochie Norris deal. However, we gave up Spoon who makes more than Moochie and bought out John Amechie. It appears Moochie has 1 more year than Spoon but there have been some reports saying that is a team option. I have not heard a final word on his contract status but we needed a change in the locker room. Spoon was not a good influence on Sweetney. He was fat and out of shape and did not have a good attitude, all the while taking minutes away from our rookie. Sweets solid play all happened after the Spoon deal. You also constantly complain about things Isiah hasn't done. The Malik Rose deal or the Aaron Mckie deal via expansion draft you (and I both) were opposed to. However, I will not blame Isiah until he actually makes a move that will hamstring us. The MLE is a valuable option for us. I see Chicago matching Crawford (but not if they can get Stephen Jackson). However, Washington has cap room and if they match Etan for the MLE they won't be able to go after the bigger names. Especially with Jamison and Kwame, I see them going after a center such as Okur or Dampier. We should not just tank this season or not worry about it -- the fact is we should use it to build team chemistry, enhance defense, improve from within, and get better, younger, and more athletic pieces to help us get to where we want to be.

I could definitley see a sign and trade where we get Crawford and JYD for KT, Frank Williams, and Mutomobo. The Bulls could then sign Bowen or S Jackson for the MLE and have a really tough starting 5, top to bottom.

If Wash gets Damp or Okur, i think we have the best shot at landing Etan Thomas. For the LLE I would go after Doleac or Mihm.

There are many ways to improve Briggs. You don't know what will happen and neither do I. However, you should make judgements after the transactions happen rather than before.
Defense and Toughness
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/1/2004  5:12 PM
People who were complaining about the knicks future were the ones with no forsight. We have draft picks, and we have 34dollars in ending salary. Along with prospects like DJ, Sweetney, Williams & hopefully Ariza &/or Chan &/or Barret &/or Herve. Plus guys in there prime right now like Marbury-Thomas-Muhammad. I strongly agree that we should be looking for young up and comers rather than older guys who have only a few yrs left. Whats really killing us is Anderson and if Houston isn't the same then Houston which could only heal with time so just got to be patient.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/1/2004  5:25 PM
Briggs... thats a good post and I agree. This is why I see no need for major changes unless it gives us a bigger piece to work with down the road or come feb (like Walker).

I do think you grossly underestimate our talent and depth and if healthy this is an easy 45 win team... if not more.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/1/2004  6:19 PM
I agree, except we definitely do need help with our interior game, on the defensive end. Sweetney is a great rebounder, but I am not sure if he is ready yet, defensively. I am sure he improves a little, but he wont be where we need a lot of help, yet. A guy like Dampier or even Camby would be a great help, and if they stayed healthy, we could be a 50 win team. That's if Houston remains relatively healthy as well. Someone posted an article that his knee is so tender that he can't touch rim. I am not sure if that's a bogus article though.

I agree we should be looking beyond these next 2 seasons as well. We wont be under the cap, but we will be getting rid of a ton of weight. We have to use the draft wisely, next year, and the year after as well. I like how IT used the pick this year.

Tim Thomas has a lot to show us these next couple of seasons. If he shows no commitment on defense, and proves to be just a 16 ppg scorer who will only grab 5 boards, I am not sure if I will resign him. He's so athletic, and he has a huge muscle mass. He should be able to do a lot better than that, especially with the defense. It's asking for a lot, but if he goes out and grabs 7 boards a game this year and ends up scoring like, 18 points (Houston or no Houston) and shows SOME commitment on D', then I will call this season a big success for him. he should be putting up Keith Van Horn's numbers, AT LEAST.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/1/2004  6:49 PM
Stephen Jackson is not needed imo, unless you were trading Tim Thomas in a deal for a bigman...i consider him as a SF anyway, so what's the point in signing another swingman when you already have a glut at the position now? that's a Scott Layden move.

What is Stephen Jackson? Is he a SG or SF?

If he can play SG- which I seem to recall he did, then its not a glut to have him and TT- I think it would be useful to have someone who can challenge TT for playing time- something that will bring out the potential in TT.

This team needs some scoring- and Jackson and Crawford bring it-

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/1/2004  6:53 PM
Posted by franco12:
Stephen Jackson is not needed imo, unless you were trading Tim Thomas in a deal for a bigman...i consider him as a SF anyway, so what's the point in signing another swingman when you already have a glut at the position now? that's a Scott Layden move.

What is Stephen Jackson? Is he a SG or SF?

If he can play SG- which I seem to recall he did, then its not a glut to have him and TT- I think it would be useful to have someone who can challenge TT for playing time- something that will bring out the potential in TT.

This team needs some scoring- and Jackson and Crawford bring it-

Stephen Jackson's natural position is SF, but he can play SG.

82games.com has a nice feature where you can see what proportion of his minutes a player played at each position. For Stephen Jackson, you can see that he plays nearly alll of his minutes at SF. He played occasionally at SG and even PF. (I don't think it's smart to play him at PF, though, but who said the Hawks were smart?)

Stephen Jackson's minutes by position:
http://www.82games.com/03ATL9C.HTM
TMS
USA
7/1/2004  7:24 PM
Crawford's a 10 times better choice imo, because he can play the PG as well as the SG...that's exactly what this team needs, another player who can run the offense & distribute when Stephon is playing off the ball who is well suited for an uptempo game...Frank is a good backup PG, but i think JC would fit what Isiah wants to do alot better...we don't need another swingman like Jackson when we already have Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway, DerMarr Johnson, Shandon Anderson & maybe Trevor Ariza on the roster already...if you're making a trade using 1 of those guys for a bigman, then i would have no problem w/signing Jackson...but i'd still much rather have JC regardless.

[Edited by - TMS on 07/01/2004 19:25:45]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/1/2004  11:19 PM
i also agree with briggs. this is only year 1 1/2 of the isiah era and it takes time to rebuild this thing. next season, we should see what you're saying - development of our OWN players, and that also includes nazr. if we sign someone, it should be someone young. you're right on point with that one BUT like others have said, you're way too pessimistic with the squad we currently have. without any changes, we will be challenging for homecourt in the east.
Bonn1997
USA
7/1/2004  11:36 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i also agree with briggs. this is only year 1 1/2 of the isiah era and it takes time to rebuild this thing. next season, we should see what you're saying - development of our OWN players, and that also includes nazr. if we sign someone, it should be someone young. you're right on point with that one BUT like others have said, you're way too pessimistic with the squad we currently have. without any changes, we will be challenging for homecourt in the east.
Agreed; and with additions like Jamal and Etan, the team can compete with anyone for the 1st seed in the east
BRIGGS
7/2/2004  12:28 AM
LOL we have NO NONE zero chance at getting either etan thomas or crawford. look at how the market has been set--these players are on the upper tier of FA and 5mm looks like bargain basement to retain. Is steve Nash worth 13mm and crawford only 5? Crawford might be a Knick when he is 30 like all the rest of the retreads.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/2/2004  12:38 AM
what market? Teams make silly moves plain and simple. Who's better? Nash at $13mm, Areanas at $10mm or Chauncy Billups at the MLE? I'm not saying Crawford is a Knick, but there is no market in the NBA, except for bigmen... which is equally retarded.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
7/2/2004  12:40 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

LOL we have NO NONE zero chance
Stop contradicting yourself! Earlier you said there was a 1% chance of getting Crawford

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/02/2004 00:41:12]
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/2/2004  1:12 AM
Phoenix overpaying for Nash doesn't really set the market. When it comes down to it Nash is more proven than Crawford, and what team is going to bowl Crawford over with money? He said he wants to play in NY, that's what matters. If he WANTS to come here, that's a big thing. Knicks can offer him a lot and still do a sign-and-trade, which is what most writers think will happen. If Crawford signs a 6 yr., $45 million contract and is traded to the Knicks with JYD for KT, Othella, Deke, and Cezary, I don't think it hurts the Knicks.

Briggs, you're a great analyst of basketball and college bball and the like, but you don't have a crystal ball, so stop with these percentages. Last year Sac-Town had a "zero, zilch, none" chance of getting Brad Miller, and they wound up giving up Scot Pollard to get him. I'm sure you saw that coming too.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
7/2/2004  1:18 AM
i would never ever do that deal if im chicago. this is the same jamal crawford that is 23 years old--went for 50 points 7 reb 7 assist in the last week of the season and can play both 1 and 2 with size and athletsicm. what kind of junk from the knicks do I want? 32 year old KT when I have antonio davis under contract for 2 more years? all so i can get rid of jerome williams? no way my man you can fantasize about it, the idiot writers can write about it, but reality is its not going to happen.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/2/2004  2:30 AM
The reality might be that, on paper, it doesn't look realistic, but this is a guy that John Paxson ROUTINELY called out in the papers for lack of a work ethic, a guy who's just going to stunt the Bulls' development and future by taking time for BenG and Hinrich, and a guy who has openly pined for playing in NY under Isiah.

If Paxson can get rid of the franchise problem child and get some wiggle room with the cap, I think he does it. You think he doesn't. The Bulls have a lot of FAs coming up, they aren't going to ruin their low total salary because they don't want to lose a promising player, esp. when they JUST DRAFTED a combo guard. You'll have Gordon doing almost as much as Crawford for fraction of the price. It just doesn't make sense, no way Crawford re-signs with the Bulls, zero none zilch 0% that happens. If they match a full MLE then they'll have to let either Curry or Chandler walk next year to avoid the luxury tax, re-sign Hinrich the year after that, and be right near the luxury tax threshold with three guards and a big man under contract and a team going nowhere.

Maybe they want to rebuild for the 4th time?
#Knickstaps
this year should be all about gearing up for 2005-2006 and beyond

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy