[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Will Okafor's game translate in the NBA????
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/9/2015  10:10 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
fishmike wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Yea the nba is past those 1 skill players.

OK4 will probably end up playing in Greece like Sweetney one day. Sweetney also had a gigantic wingspan which is why we drafted him despite being only 6'8

Think he's good enough for Greece?

ive known guns personally a long time - it amazes me how he's talking about ok4 to be honest. i don't get it.

There is absolutely no objectivity, guns is running a smear campaign against Okafor. You would think he is Towns agent or family member.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/9/2015  10:40 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
fishmike wrote:

OK4 will probably end up playing in Greece like Sweetney one day. Sweetney also had a gigantic wingspan which is why we drafted him despite being only 6'8

Think he's good enough for Greece?

ive known guns personally a long time - it amazes me how he's talking about ok4 to be honest. i don't get it.

really doesnt matter. I like them both for different reasons. Both will be nice players to have, and we would be lucky to have either. I like hearing about what people see and what they think these guys project too. OK4 being the next Mike Sweetney and maybe being good enough to play in Greece isnt really inspiring much discussion. Guns mentioned he cant see OK4 playing well next to Melo so based on that he's decided under no circumstances should OK4 be drafted by the Knicks and he's kinda passionate about Melo so there I guess?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/9/2015  11:46 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Bottom line is that the game has changed tremendously; whoever we decide to draft with that once in a lifetime lottery pick must be able to adapt and change his game to fit in. If Shaq were a me to shoot the ball from 10 feet out, he probably could have had a much bigger impact in the game. As you age, you lose athleticism and have to rely on other facets of the game to be effective. I love Shaq, but I sure as hell wish he had a lot more range with his shots.

Can Okafor add range to his game? I think he can, he just has to put in the Time in the gym to develop it. Either kid would be a blessing for the Knicks.

first of all, shaq did not need to improve his game other than FT's. He was great at what he did and he did not need to be a stretch.

And, if all you need to do is go to the Gym to fix your shooting then why don't all bad shooters just go to the Gym? I hate this logic.

Seems reasonable to suggest that a college freshman could evolve and add to his game.

of course he can but you can't assume these things.

It seemed reasonable to assume that Shaq would learn how to shoot free throws or that D Jordan would be able to figure out how to shoot a lick.

I believe on giving everyone a chance to prove me wrong; specifically, a young 19 year old kid. The bad thing is that these kids are not allowed to stay in college and develop. It is easier to judge a young dude who stayed in college for at least three years; you at least would have a much bigger sample to see progress. However, I do believe it is different when you have a player who is superb at more then one facet of the game; I.e: Shaq and DJ, they are great defenders, superb above the rim scorers, decent passers, and tremendous rebounders. They are or were great at three out of four areas if the game.

Okafor on the other hand is only known for his post up game and passing ability. Where Towns is known for defense, shooting the ball with range, shot blocking,rebounding, etc. IMO, a much better investment

Okafor is known for his post scoring, passing and rebounding. Towns is known for his rebounding and shot blocking. Towns hasn't really shown much shooting range and he shot less 30% from the college 3 this year. Okafor has shown signs of developing a Duncanesque bank shot while Towns has shown signs of a post game. They're both 19 with room for improvement. I think Okafor is the better guy based on what brings and his age. I can see the argument for Towns, but they are both unfinished products. Just like I'm sure OK4 will probably never turn into a defensive stopper, I'm not sure Towns will ever become a primary or secondary scoring option.

Towns shot 8 3 pointers this season so its impossible to say if he can shoot the 3 based on that.

I have seen clips of his knocking down many consecutive 3's in shootouts.

I would love to see a clip of Ok4 hitting 7 consecutive 20 footers.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
4/9/2015  11:52 AM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I prefer Towns and Russell... but one thing about Okafor - I think his offensive game will definitely translate in the NBA. You space the floor right around him with shooters and he will be unstoppable in the post. There's a lot more room to operate in the NBA paint. Then again, Brook Lopez looks unstoppable at times and I don't feel he impacts the game in other areas all that much.

why would he be more unstoppable than Al J?

more skilled and bigger and longer for starters. I mean if Al Jefferson was an inch taller and his wingspan was 4 inches longer that would translate to a better player no?

size does not necessarily make you better. Barkley was a monster post player at 6 4.

You can't assume that being bigger will make him better.

I would take Ok4 in my top 2 but I am not gaga over him.

Size alone? No... but if Barkley was 6'10 instead of 6'4 (I think he's closer to 6'6) dont you think he would be better?

Physically what jumps out at my for OK4 is the 7'6 wingspan. You have a guy with impeccable footwork, great hands, great court vision and a 7'6 wingspan (Towns is very long also). I believe Al is 7'2, which is good but OK4 would be one of the longer players in the league. Brook Lopez is a 7'6 guy. Anthony Davis is 7'4. Length matters...

Barkley is 6'4 with shoes on....I don't care what the stats say. I took a picture with him (hanging on my wall now) and I play with 6'6 guys or taller all the time. But Barkley is a great example of size is not everything.

Also the fact that we have so many threads about OK4 or Towns.....Some even say Russell....and there are some hiding in the closet who rather have Mudiay as the number 1 pick. If it was up to BRIGGS, he would pick the best Euro guy as the #1.

All of this back and forth stuff just proves my point. This draft is mid section heavy. It's like the pop belly of all drafts. The players that will impact the NBA right away are the mid picks. The top and the bottom are all prospects. Which is why a trade out of the top for two mid picks might be the best option. Just my opinion...But lets entertain keeping the pick for this thread!

We can go on and on about OK4 vs Towns.....The problem is they are both freshmens with only 40plus college games under their belt. They were both seniors in HS last year....SENIORS. Both need another year or two in college. At least Towns needs it. OK4 is ready now, but if he stayed in college, he would be a beast in a few years. OK4 is definately more NBA ready than most, because he has a defined skill set.

But for us, I don't want Melo taking all 3 pointers all day, which will be the case if we draft OK4. Melo is not a guard like T.Jones....He's a forward getting slower with age. That means he will be in the post more and more as he gets older.

But OK4 and Towns are both great players, and any coach would find a way to make it work. So I'm over the Town vs OK4 debate. I say it's a draw. I just assume neither will make any huge noise next year, so there's no point. It's the free agents that will drive the most impact. OK4 might, since he demands a double team.

Towns is like your Mothers favorite cake.....And you just want to open the oven to eat it, but she keeps telling you it's not done. Towns entering the NBA is like eating your Mothers favorite cake before it's done. So do you still eat the rest of it because it still taste good? Or do you put it back in the oven, until it's done because you know it will taste even better? The problem is cooking time is not on Phils side. I don't think Phil can afford to take a project, unless he can see his immediate impact combined with long term cornerstone impact.

Both players fill a need....But Towns fills major need(s) that has been missing since we had Chandler, Camby, Sheed, Ewing.....You see what happens when those guys are not on your team. It's like having layup drills as your defense. And I don't see any bigs in free agency that has better rim protection skills / potential as Towns....If I did, then I can see passing on him for OK4. But the bigs I see are scoring bigs. Why would Phil draft a scoring big, pickup a scoring big in free agency, and give max money to a scoring big in Melo? Phil might not be the best GM, but he knows how to assemble a balance roster. Adding two high profile scoring bigs means all three bigs must get major playing time. Below is my high level breakdown of the type of balance we have and what we are lacking...and how OK4 vs Towns will fill those voids......

You need a balance of two way players - Zero
You need a balance of 1 trick pony's - Melo (scoring), Jason Smith (mid range), etc.....
You need a balance of rebounders - Melo? Cole Aldrige?
You need a balance of shot blockers - Zero
You need a balance of low post scorers - Melo?
You need a balance of 3 pt shooters - Melo? Gallo? Shved? Ledo?
You need a balance of assist leaders - Calderon? Shved?
You need a balance of mid range shooters - Jason Smith?

The areas OK4 would fill is mostly where you see Melo's name, except for 3 pt shooting.

The areas where Towns would fill is where you see Zero.

Phil is no dummy ....He will build a balance team. He's only added D leaguers because thats all he can do right now.....Take a shot in the dark and hope he hits something. When the draft begins and free agency is open, thats when Phil will shoot in the light. Thats when all the pessimist can come out from hiding, if they still remember their UK password!

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/9/2015  11:55 AM
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Bottom line is that the game has changed tremendously; whoever we decide to draft with that once in a lifetime lottery pick must be able to adapt and change his game to fit in. If Shaq were a me to shoot the ball from 10 feet out, he probably could have had a much bigger impact in the game. As you age, you lose athleticism and have to rely on other facets of the game to be effective. I love Shaq, but I sure as hell wish he had a lot more range with his shots.

Can Okafor add range to his game? I think he can, he just has to put in the Time in the gym to develop it. Either kid would be a blessing for the Knicks.

first of all, shaq did not need to improve his game other than FT's. He was great at what he did and he did not need to be a stretch.

And, if all you need to do is go to the Gym to fix your shooting then why don't all bad shooters just go to the Gym? I hate this logic.

Seems reasonable to suggest that a college freshman could evolve and add to his game.

It seemed reasonable to assume that Shaq would learn how to shoot free throws or that D Jordan would be able to figure out how to shoot a lick.

I believe on giving everyone a chance to prove me wrong; specifically, a young 19 year old kid. The bad thing is that these kids are not allowed to stay in college and develop. It is easier to judge a young dude who stayed in college for at least three years; you at least would have a much bigger sample to see progress. However, I do believe it is different when you have a player who is superb at more then one facet of the game; I.e: Shaq and DJ, they are great defenders, superb above the rim scorers, decent passers, and tremendous rebounders. They are or were great at three out of four areas if the game.

Okafor on the other hand is only known for his post up game and passing ability. Where Towns is known for defense, shooting the ball with range, shot blocking,rebounding, etc. IMO, a much better investment

Okafor is known for his post scoring, passing and rebounding. Towns is known for his rebounding and shot blocking. Towns hasn't really shown much shooting range and he shot less 30% from the college 3 this year. Okafor has shown signs of developing a Duncanesque bank shot while Towns has shown signs of a post game. They're both 19 with room for improvement. I think Okafor is the better guy based on what brings and his age. I can see the argument for Towns, but they are both unfinished products. Just like I'm sure OK4 will probably never turn into a defensive stopper, I'm not sure Towns will ever become a primary or secondary scoring option.

Towns shot 8 3 pointers this season so its impossible to say if he can shoot the 3 based on that.

I'very seen clips of Joakim Noah knocking threes on practice. He don't take them in game for obvious reasons lol Let me put it this way, three point shooting was a weakness for Kentucky. I know Cal's coaching ability is questionable, but don't you think he'd have Towns a king more threes if he was confident he could make them at a decent clip?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
USA
4/9/2015  11:56 AM
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Why? he shoots 65% from close. Isnt a 20 footer the ultimate anti-metrics shot? Havent you said a 1000 times that is the worst shot in the NBA? And you want a guy with a FG% better than Shaq shooting from there? I dont follow...

Towns 100% has a good jumper. Excellent form and very fluid. I have seen OK4 nail that 12 footer off glass like he's shooting in his driveway, so its not like a paint move or bust.

I see Towns as very Aldridge like. I could see him having a good career simply shooting that jumper over other frontcourt players with ease.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/9/2015  12:06 PM
OK4 = the new Melo.

Hope someone can just talk the kid into taking a selfie with a flak jacket on, then the comparison would be complete. A slow footed, defensive liability, one-way player.

guns, dtkf7...just need Bonn to jump on board. Somebody have Splat's home phone number?

I'm just hoping we get Dekker in the second round with the picks some shmuck GM gives us for Bargs.

mreinman

4/9/2015  12:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Why? he shoots 65% from close. Isnt a 20 footer the ultimate anti-metrics shot? Havent you said a 1000 times that is the worst shot in the NBA? And you want a guy with a FG% better than Shaq shooting from there? I dont follow...

Towns 100% has a good jumper. Excellent form and very fluid. I have seen OK4 nail that 12 footer off glass like he's shooting in his driveway, so its not like a paint move or bust.

I see Towns as very Aldridge like. I could see him having a good career simply shooting that jumper over other frontcourt players with ease.

Yes. The 20 footer is a horrible shot. I want to see clips of Ok4 shooting it just to see if he has potential range.

Ok4 should only be shooting near the basket with his limited range and that is why I would want towns who has the potential to shoot from anywhere on the court just like ADavis and LAldridge.

One of the reasons why Al Jeffs is capped is that he is very one dimensional in his scoring. So again, if he can turn into shaq and shoot 65% from the floor in close (which very few of us believe that he can be) then I still can't figure out who is a good upside comparison other than Al Jefferson (who is one of the best (strictly) low post scorers in the game).

Towns has such a fluid shot and he can potentially be unguardable. LA was a good comparison though I think Towns can be a far better passer and low post player.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/9/2015  12:27 PM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I prefer Towns and Russell... but one thing about Okafor - I think his offensive game will definitely translate in the NBA. You space the floor right around him with shooters and he will be unstoppable in the post. There's a lot more room to operate in the NBA paint. Then again, Brook Lopez looks unstoppable at times and I don't feel he impacts the game in other areas all that much.

why would he be more unstoppable than Al J?

more skilled and bigger and longer for starters. I mean if Al Jefferson was an inch taller and his wingspan was 4 inches longer that would translate to a better player no?

size does not necessarily make you better. Barkley was a monster post player at 6 4.

You can't assume that being bigger will make him better.

I would take Ok4 in my top 2 but I am not gaga over him.

Size alone? No... but if Barkley was 6'10 instead of 6'4 (I think he's closer to 6'6) dont you think he would be better?

Physically what jumps out at my for OK4 is the 7'6 wingspan. You have a guy with impeccable footwork, great hands, great court vision and a 7'6 wingspan (Towns is very long also). I believe Al is 7'2, which is good but OK4 would be one of the longer players in the league. Brook Lopez is a 7'6 guy. Anthony Davis is 7'4. Length matters...

Barkley is 6'4 with shoes on....I don't care what the stats say. I took a picture with him (hanging on my wall now) and I play with 6'6 guys or taller all the time. But Barkley is a great example of size is not everything.

Also the fact that we have so many threads about OK4 or Towns.....Some even say Russell....and there are some hiding in the closet who rather have Mudiay as the number 1 pick. If it was up to BRIGGS, he would pick the best Euro guy as the #1.

All of this back and forth stuff just proves my point. This draft is mid section heavy. It's like the pop belly of all drafts. The players that will impact the NBA right away are the mid picks. The top and the bottom are all prospects. Which is why a trade out of the top for two mid picks might be the best option. Just my opinion...But lets entertain keeping the pick for this thread!

We can go on and on about OK4 vs Towns.....The problem is they are both freshmens with only 40plus college games under their belt. They were both seniors in HS last year....SENIORS. Both need another year or two in college. At least Towns needs it. OK4 is ready now, but if he stayed in college, he would be a beast in a few years. OK4 is definately more NBA ready than most, because he has a defined skill set.

But for us, I don't want Melo taking all 3 pointers all day, which will be the case if we draft OK4. Melo is not a guard like T.Jones....He's a forward getting slower with age. That means he will be in the post more and more as he gets older.

But OK4 and Towns are both great players, and any coach would find a way to make it work. So I'm over the Town vs OK4 debate. I say it's a draw. I just assume neither will make any huge noise next year, so there's no point. It's the free agents that will drive the most impact. OK4 might, since he demands a double team.

Towns is like your Mothers favorite cake.....And you just want to open the oven to eat it, but she keeps telling you it's not done. Towns entering the NBA is like eating your Mothers favorite cake before it's done. So do you still eat the rest of it because it still taste good? Or do you put it back in the oven, until it's done because you know it will taste even better? The problem is cooking time is not on Phils side. I don't think Phil can afford to take a project, unless he can see his immediate impact combined with long term cornerstone impact.

Both players fill a need....But Towns fills major need(s) that has been missing since we had Chandler, Camby, Sheed, Ewing.....You see what happens when those guys are not on your team. It's like having layup drills as your defense. And I don't see any bigs in free agency that has better rim protection skills / potential as Towns....If I did, then I can see passing on him for OK4. But the bigs I see are scoring bigs. Why would Phil draft a scoring big, pickup a scoring big in free agency, and give max money to a scoring big in Melo? Phil might not be the best GM, but he knows how to assemble a balance roster. Adding two high profile scoring bigs means all three bigs must get major playing time. Below is my high level breakdown of the type of balance we have and what we are lacking...and how OK4 vs Towns will fill those voids......

You need a balance of two way players - Zero
You need a balance of 1 trick pony's - Melo (scoring), Jason Smith (mid range), etc.....
You need a balance of rebounders - Melo? Cole Aldrige?
You need a balance of shot blockers - Zero
You need a balance of low post scorers - Melo?
You need a balance of 3 pt shooters - Melo? Gallo? Shved? Ledo?
You need a balance of assist leaders - Calderon? Shved?
You need a balance of mid range shooters - Jason Smith?

The areas OK4 would fill is mostly where you see Melo's name, except for 3 pt shooting.

The areas where Towns would fill is where you see Zero.

Phil is no dummy ....He will build a balance team. He's only added D leaguers because thats all he can do right now.....Take a shot in the dark and hope he hits something. When the draft begins and free agency is open, thats when Phil will shoot in the light. Thats when all the pessimist can come out from hiding, if they still remember their UK password!

Good post. The main reason I prefer Towns is he will fill those holes and compliment Melo

fishmike
USA
4/9/2015  12:37 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Yes. The 20 footer is a horrible shot. I want to see clips of Ok4 shooting it just to see if he has potential range.

Ok4 should only be shooting near the basket with his limited range and that is why I would want towns who has the potential to shoot from anywhere on the court just like ADavis and LAldridge.

One of the reasons why Al Jeffs is capped is that he is very one dimensional in his scoring. So again, if he can turn into shaq and shoot 65% from the floor in close (which very few of us believe that he can be) then I still can't figure out who is a good upside comparison other than Al Jefferson (who is one of the best (strictly) low post scorers in the game).

Towns has such a fluid shot and he can potentially be unguardable. LA was a good comparison though I think Towns can be a far better passer and low post player.

I dont have a big Al Jefferson comparison beef, but OK4 is bigger and longer and more skilled. So while Jefferson is a nice post scorer, OK4 is post scorer you can build an offense around. The style of play may be similar but one is far more effective than others. MJ and Kobe have similar styles, but one is much more effective than the other. Same with Amare/Karl Malone, or Barkley and Clarence Weatherspoon, or KG/Sheed. Similar styles, varying degree of effectiveness. Al is only around 50%, often lower and thats not very good considering where all his offense comes from. If OK4 was that I would say he's fell well short of expectations.

There is nothing wrong with saying OK4's style will be similar to Jeffersons, it will be and is. It doesnt mean he will only be as good as Al. With superior physical skills and much superior BB skills I would expect OK4 to be a much higher impact.

mreinman

4/9/2015  12:57 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

I dont have a big Al Jefferson comparison beef, but OK4 is bigger and longer and more skilled. So while Jefferson is a nice post scorer, OK4 is post scorer you can build an offense around. The style of play may be similar but one is far more effective than others. MJ and Kobe have similar styles, but one is much more effective than the other. Same with Amare/Karl Malone, or Barkley and Clarence Weatherspoon, or KG/Sheed. Similar styles, varying degree of effectiveness. Al is only around 50%, often lower and thats not very good considering where all his offense comes from. If OK4 was that I would say he's fell well short of expectations.

There is nothing wrong with saying OK4's style will be similar to Jeffersons, it will be and is. It doesnt mean he will only be as good as Al. With superior physical skills and much superior BB skills I would expect OK4 to be a much higher impact.

he may be better than Al but he may be worse. People don't realize how hard it is to be a great low post scorer in the NBA.

As I have said, bigger is not always better.

Hakeem shot 51.4 percent for his career.

Ok4 also is a terrible FT shooter and that will not help his overall TS.

Ok4 can end up being better than Al Jeff but there is no way of knowing. And even if he ends up better, I still believe that he has a more limited upside. We still can't find an upside comp.

Also, you can't use his duke numbers to prove skill and efficiency since we can look at Boozer and Sheldon Williams who did just as good. Ok4 is bigger? Not sure if that will translate to much better.

Again ... its a crap shoot and if its a crap shoot then I want to shoot for more upside.

I am not trying to kill Ok4. I would be happy if we got him but if we had the choice (and we probably won't), then I go for towns. 50% chance we don't get either.

fishmike
USA
4/9/2015  1:14 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

he may be better than Al but he may be worse. People don't realize how hard it is to be a great low post scorer in the NBA.

Ok4 can end up being better than Al Jeff but there is no way of knowing. And even if he ends up better, I still believe that he has a more limited upside. We still can't find an upside comp.

Also, you can't use his duke numbers to prove skill and efficiency since we can look at Boozer and Sheldon Williams who did just as good. Ok4 is bigger? Not sure if that will translate to much better.

Again ... its a crap shoot and if its a crap shoot then I want to shoot for more upside.

I am not trying to kill Ok4. I would be happy if we got him but if we had the choice (and we probably won't), then I go for towns. 50% chance we don't get either.

Sheldon Williams doesnt touch OK4... he was a 4 year CBB player. At 19 Sheldon wasnt in the same stratosphere. Boozer is a more fair comparison and most of what he did at Duke translated to the NBA. Good scorer, good rebounder. Boozer's real issue was between the ears and he got hurt a lot and missed huges chunks of seasons. I would say Boozer's skills translated nicely.
Knicks1969
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5915

4/9/2015  6:44 PM
Let's pray that we get lucky and end up with the top pick; and, let's also hope that Phil makes the right choice with the pick.
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/9/2015  7:21 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Sheldon Williams doesnt touch OK4... he was a 4 year CBB player. At 19 Sheldon wasnt in the same stratosphere. Boozer is a more fair comparison and most of what he did at Duke translated to the NBA. Good scorer, good rebounder. Boozer's real issue was between the ears and he got hurt a lot and missed huges chunks of seasons. I would say Boozer's skills translated nicely.

boozer has sucked-- SUCKED-- as an nba player but you'd never know it from how much he has been paid. to the degree that okafor resembles boozer that right there is troublesome. guess what-- okafor resembles boozer.

"translated nicely" mmmffffnnnncchh

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
fishmike
USA
4/10/2015  8:38 AM
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

boozer has sucked-- SUCKED-- as an nba player but you'd never know it from how much he has been paid. to the degree that okafor resembles boozer that right there is troublesome. guess what-- okafor resembles boozer.

yup... and Frank Kaminsky is a small forward. What else ya got?
dk7th
USA
4/10/2015  1:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2015  1:13 PM
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/24/jahlil-okafor-duke-blue-devils-ncaa-tournament

looks like his father chucky is a bit of a "stage-parent" lowlife, what with getting kicked off of three teams as a young guy and then becoming an assistant coach for his son. something a bit too meal-tickety and exploitative about that, and it could cause problems in the young man's head. not that i expect a 20-year old to articulate that, but the conveyor belt to the nba that this young man has been on is not going to develop his values and work ethic. and then the apple does not fall far from the tree, either. again, this is NOT to say that okafor has exhibited character issues or will exhibit character issues... but there are several red flags that a front office has to look for in their vetting process.

meanwhile there is this on karl anthony towns' parents, who look to be happily married and are stable:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/08/14/karl-anthony-towns-parents-separable-kentucky-games/14053695/

as splat has said: "character = destiny"

so far as kaminsky, we shall see. i think he'll be able to play the 3 if asked or required of him.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
gunsnewing
USA
4/10/2015  1:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2015  1:23 PM
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/24/jahlil-okafor-duke-blue-devils-ncaa-tournament

looks like his father chucky is a bit of a "stage-parent" lowlife, what with getting kicked off of three teams as a young guy and then becoming an assistant coach for his son. something a bit too meal-tickety and exploitative about that, and it could cause problems in the young man's head. not that i expect a 20-year old to articulate that, but the conveyor belt to the nba that this young man has been on is not going to develop his values and work ethic. and then the apple does not fall far from the tree, either. again, this is NOT to say that okafor has exhibited character issues or will exhibit character issues... but there are several red flags that a front office has to look for in their vetting process.

meanwhile there is this on karl anthony towns' parents, who look to be happily married and are stable:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/08/14/karl-anthony-towns-parents-separable-kentucky-games/14053695/

so far as kaminsky, we shall see. i think he'll be able to play the 3 if asked or required of him.

Wow DK nice job digging that up. Those are the little things that people overlook on the surface. Strong parenting is key. That's not to say that it works every time but most of the time it produces great character, professionalism & accountibility. Derek Jeter's parents are a prime example.

Question was OK4 raised by both parents?

The parents who push their kids to be pros and butt heads with coaches often do more damage than good. Good coaches help players reach their full potential with a focus on every aspect of the game. Offense, defense and character and drive.

I heard about Towns coming from a strong family but have t heard anything about OK4 until this

fishmike
USA
4/10/2015  1:35 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Wow DK nice job digging that up. Those are the little things that people overlook on the surface. Strong parenting is key. That's not to say that it works every time but most of the time it produces great character, professionalism & accountibility. Derek Jeter's parents are a prime example.

The parents who push their kids to be pros and butt heads with coaches often do more damage than good. Good coaches help players reach their full potential with a focus on every aspect of the game. Offense, defense and character and drive.

I heard about Towns coming from a strong family but have t heard anything about OK4 until this

Can you guys post the part about OK4 coming from bad parenting? I seemed to have missed that. All I saw was how he's the best post player at his age possibly ever, that his father played and was a nigerian immigrant, and put together youtube vids of Ewing, Hakeem, Duncan, etc since 8th grade and OK4 was so good so fast he was getting offers in 8th grade. I read about his dad helping him practice.

Coach K calls him one of the highest character guys he's EVER coached. Dk you have ZERO, ZILCH knowledge on this guy's family life and Guns you have even less... but sure, add "poor upbringing" to your lists of OK4 negatives. Why not?

gunsnewing
USA
4/10/2015  1:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2015  1:38 PM
I'm only asking about his background. I already know about Towns background. Thank you for answering
dk7th
USA
4/10/2015  1:45 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

well there's this, which clearly is a piece about redemption and a son's love for his mother and the father and son helping each other in the wake of tragedy. it certainly might mitigate some character issue concerns but as i said, a front office has to practice due diligence.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/duke-s-jahlil-okafor-his-father-rose-together-from-tragedy-022315

but then again there chuckwudi's twitter name : Daddyofapro.

not a fan of this-- just kind of reinforces the exploitative parent thing

Will Okafor's game translate in the NBA????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy