[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Will Okafor's game translate in the NBA????
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/8/2015  10:53 AM
Too bad it will take up 5 years to know who is the better player.
Can't really base a decision on the few tournament games most of you watched.
As mentioned Tyus Jones was golden because the inside threat that was oka4.
Some of you want a high cheekbone chistled Dwight Howard looking dude and find an easy comparison.

Boozer was taken in the second round. I don't recall why his stock fell. Contract he got when he opted out (nasty business!!) aside, that was a hell of a pick for Cleveland!
Dude worked hard on his body and became a very good NBA player. He did not live up to his contract.

Towns physically looks like an 19 year old Alonzo Morning.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/8/2015  11:19 AM
Nalod wrote:Too bad it will take up 5 years to know who is the better player.
Some of you want a high cheekbone chistled Dwight Howard looking dude and find an easy comparison.

Boozer was taken in the second round. I don't recall why his stock fell. Contract he got when he opted out (nasty business!!) aside, that was a hell of a pick for Cleveland!
Dude worked hard on his body and became a very good NBA player. He did not live up to his contract.

so you look at red flags, mitigate risk and decide how best to set that player up for success. Also you need to be prepared to wait. There are a looooot of factors in motion there. Will be interesting to see what Phil does
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/8/2015  11:52 AM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I prefer Towns and Russell... but one thing about Okafor - I think his offensive game will definitely translate in the NBA. You space the floor right around him with shooters and he will be unstoppable in the post. There's a lot more room to operate in the NBA paint. Then again, Brook Lopez looks unstoppable at times and I don't feel he impacts the game in other areas all that much.

why would he be more unstoppable than Al J?

more skilled and bigger and longer for starters. I mean if Al Jefferson was an inch taller and his wingspan was 4 inches longer that would translate to a better player no?

size does not necessarily make you better. Barkley was a monster post player at 6 4.

You can't assume that being bigger will make him better.

I would take Ok4 in my top 2 but I am not gaga over him.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
mreinman

4/8/2015  11:55 AM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I prefer Towns and Russell... but one thing about Okafor - I think his offensive game will definitely translate in the NBA. You space the floor right around him with shooters and he will be unstoppable in the post. There's a lot more room to operate in the NBA paint. Then again, Brook Lopez looks unstoppable at times and I don't feel he impacts the game in other areas all that much.

more skilled and bigger and longer for starters. I mean if Al Jefferson was an inch taller and his wingspan was 4 inches longer that would translate to a better player no?

I'm hoping for Towns, but I would be very happy with OK4 as well. I'm just shocked that people seem to be assuming that Okafor at 19 is all he's going to be. This kid has a LOT of upside regardless of what some think. He's going to get the time to add to his skills and get Pro level Training and Conditioning. My take is that he's a kid that works hard to improve and wants to be great. Dude is studying Hakeem and Duncan on his own. I just think some people are selling him short talking about Al Jeff. I see his potential as well north of Al Jeff.

You are assuming that his game will blossom in the NBA based on hard work and NBA conditioning. It does not work like that. Some players blossom and some dont.

fishmike
USA
4/8/2015  12:06 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:

size does not necessarily make you better. Barkley was a monster post player at 6 4.

You can't assume that being bigger will make him better.

I would take Ok4 in my top 2 but I am not gaga over him.

Size alone? No... but if Barkley was 6'10 instead of 6'4 (I think he's closer to 6'6) dont you think he would be better?

Physically what jumps out at my for OK4 is the 7'6 wingspan. You have a guy with impeccable footwork, great hands, great court vision and a 7'6 wingspan (Towns is very long also). I believe Al is 7'2, which is good but OK4 would be one of the longer players in the league. Brook Lopez is a 7'6 guy. Anthony Davis is 7'4. Length matters...

fishmike
USA
4/8/2015  12:11 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:

I'm hoping for Towns, but I would be very happy with OK4 as well. I'm just shocked that people seem to be assuming that Okafor at 19 is all he's going to be. This kid has a LOT of upside regardless of what some think. He's going to get the time to add to his skills and get Pro level Training and Conditioning. My take is that he's a kid that works hard to improve and wants to be great. Dude is studying Hakeem and Duncan on his own. I just think some people are selling him short talking about Al Jeff. I see his potential as well north of Al Jeff.

You are assuming that his game will blossom in the NBA based on hard work and NBA conditioning. It does not work like that. Some players blossom and some dont.

This is actually my MO for OK4 over Towns. Town's game would need to blossom in the NBA. OK4's needs to translate. To me I see one path being much easier (OK4's) than the other. OK4 has been practicing NBA post moves and footwork since he was in 8th grade. For him its more learn the league, build up your body and stamina and do what you have been doing. It takes some of the unknown out.
mreinman

4/8/2015  12:33 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:

This is actually my MO for OK4 over Towns. Town's game would need to blossom in the NBA. OK4's needs to translate. To me I see one path being much easier (OK4's) than the other. OK4 has been practicing NBA post moves and footwork since he was in 8th grade. For him its more learn the league, build up your body and stamina and do what you have been doing. It takes some of the unknown out.

I don't disagree with this. I think that OK4 is more NBA ready and the Towns is a bit more of a reach.

However, I love towns' potential and range on his shot. I don't really see ok4 as ever being able to shoot with range. His FT shooting may not get much better either.

So unless he turns into shaq which I don't see since he is not nearly as athletic then I have a hard time getting excited about a guy who can't do much out of the post and also looks like he will struggle defensively.

Towns certainly has bigger bust potential and also more upside.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/8/2015  12:42 PM
Nalod wrote:Too bad it will take up 5 years to know who is the better player.

Boozer's stock fell because he bulked up to like 270lbs to play center for Duke and scouts held it against him, labeling him as undersized. He lost the weight in Cleveland, showed better mobility and athleticism and suckered the Cave into releasing him out of is his rookie deal early.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

4/8/2015  12:44 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Goes both ways for Towns. We're also assuming he will get stronger, extend the range on his J and develop better awareness offensively.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
mreinman

4/8/2015  12:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Goes both ways for Towns. We're also assuming he will get stronger, extend the range on his J and develop better awareness offensively.

yeah ... of course it goes both ways.

I just think that Towns has higher blossom potential and can develop into the more modern type NBA player.

OK4 is much closer to what I think he will be in the NBA though I am sure can blossom as well but IMHO with a much lower ceiling.

I don't have much use for guys who can only score in the paint. The NBA is far passed that. And again, if you are shaq in the paint then I could definitely deal with that.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/8/2015  1:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2015  1:40 PM
Yea the nba is past those 1 skill players.

OK4 will probably end up playing in Greece like Sweetney one day. Sweetney also had a gigantic wingspan which is why we drafted him despite being only 6'8

Knicks1969
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5915

4/8/2015  2:23 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Yea the nba is past those 1 skill players.

OK4 will probably end up playing in Greece like Sweetney one day. Sweetney also had a gigantic wingspan which is why we drafted him despite being only 6'8

Bottom line is that the game has changed tremendously; whoever we decide to draft with that once in a lifetime lottery pick must be able to adapt and change his game to fit in. If Shaq were a me to shoot the ball from 10 feet out, he probably could have had a much bigger impact in the game. As you age, you lose athleticism and have to rely on other facets of the game to be effective. I love Shaq, but I sure as hell wish he had a lot more range with his shots.

Can Okafor add range to his game? I think he can, he just has to put in the Time in the gym to develop it. Either kid would be a blessing for the Knicks.

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
mreinman

4/8/2015  9:38 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:

Bottom line is that the game has changed tremendously; whoever we decide to draft with that once in a lifetime lottery pick must be able to adapt and change his game to fit in. If Shaq were a me to shoot the ball from 10 feet out, he probably could have had a much bigger impact in the game. As you age, you lose athleticism and have to rely on other facets of the game to be effective. I love Shaq, but I sure as hell wish he had a lot more range with his shots.

Can Okafor add range to his game? I think he can, he just has to put in the Time in the gym to develop it. Either kid would be a blessing for the Knicks.

first of all, shaq did not need to improve his game other than FT's. He was great at what he did and he did not need to be a stretch.

And, if all you need to do is go to the Gym to fix your shooting then why don't all bad shooters just go to the Gym? I hate this logic.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/8/2015  9:44 PM
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

first of all, shaq did not need to improve his game other than FT's. He was great at what he did and he did not need to be a stretch.

And, if all you need to do is go to the Gym to fix your shooting then why don't all bad shooters just go to the Gym? I hate this logic.

Seems reasonable to suggest that a college freshman could evolve and add to his game.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
mreinman

4/8/2015  9:50 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

Seems reasonable to suggest that a college freshman could evolve and add to his game.

of course he can but you can't assume these things.

It seemed reasonable to assume that Shaq would learn how to shoot free throws or that D Jordan would be able to figure out how to shoot a lick.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/8/2015  10:24 PM
Chris Broussard on what NBA front offices are saying about OK4...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12636256
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

4/9/2015  2:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2015  2:13 AM
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

It seemed reasonable to assume that Shaq would learn how to shoot free throws or that D Jordan would be able to figure out how to shoot a lick.

I believe on giving everyone a chance to prove me wrong; specifically, a young 19 year old kid. The bad thing is that these kids are not allowed to stay in college and develop. It is easier to judge a young dude who stayed in college for at least three years; you at least would have a much bigger sample to see progress. However, I do believe it is different when you have a player who is superb at more then one facet of the game; I.e: Shaq and DJ, they are great defenders, superb above the rim scorers, decent passers, and tremendous rebounders. They are or were great at three out of four areas if the game.

Okafor on the other hand is only known for his post up game and passing ability. Where Towns is known for defense, shooting the ball with range, shot blocking,rebounding, etc. IMO, a much better investment

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
BigDaddyG

4/9/2015  2:43 AM
Knicks1969 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

I believe on giving everyone a chance to prove me wrong; specifically, a young 19 year old kid. The bad thing is that these kids are not allowed to stay in college and develop. It is easier to judge a young dude who stayed in college for at least three years; you at least would have a much bigger sample to see progress. However, I do believe it is different when you have a player who is superb at more then one facet of the game; I.e: Shaq and DJ, they are great defenders, superb above the rim scorers, decent passers, and tremendous rebounders. They are or were great at three out of four areas if the game.

Okafor on the other hand is only known for his post up game and passing ability. Where Towns is known for defense, shooting the ball with range, shot blocking,rebounding, etc. IMO, a much better investment

Okafor is known for his post scoring, passing and rebounding. Towns is known for his rebounding and shot blocking. Towns hasn't really shown much shooting range and he shot less 30% from the college 3 this year. Okafor has shown signs of developing a Duncanesque bank shot while Towns has shown signs of a post game. They're both 19 with room for improvement. I think Okafor is the better guy based on what brings and his age. I can see the argument for Towns, but they are both unfinished products. Just like I'm sure OK4 will probably never turn into a defensive stopper, I'm not sure Towns will ever become a primary or secondary scoring option.
fishmike
USA
4/9/2015  9:07 AM

Think he's good enough for Greece?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/9/2015  9:37 AM
fishmike wrote:

Think he's good enough for Greece?

ive known guns personally a long time - it amazes me how he's talking about ok4 to be honest. i don't get it.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Will Okafor's game translate in the NBA????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy