[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The big question about Jamal Crawford...
Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/3/2004  11:37 AM
Absolutely- if Crawford comes to the Knicks, FW is going to have to get moved- and IT would have the luxury of moving him.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/3/2004  9:53 PM
Posted by technomaster:
Posted by franco12:

48 mins x 2 = 96 / 3 = 32 mins per

I think IT sells it to Crawford as he can take over for Allan at the 2- H20 has 2 creaky knews and in reality, if Crawford is here next year, I don't think he has to worry about playing time.

And Allan isn't going to be here forever- as someone mentioned in another thread- look at Reggie Miller- when these shooters get old, they get useless fast.

Yes, Crawford might not see as many minutes next year, but down the line, he'll be in a position to star on one of the bigger stages out there.

It's all feasible for us as Knick fans, but that would require Crawford sacrificing--- this is a young player who wants minutes. Why on earth would he sign on a team where he isn't slated to be a starter when tons of other teams can offer the same MLE and a starting spot w/ 35mpg?

You'd imagine that if a player signs for big bucks, he's going to want to play. I just don't see how this would be a good situation for him. Besides, what about Frank Williams... and Shandon? Yeah, Shandon and Penny can get some PT @ SF, but we're working on evolving Tim Thomas into the next Kevin Garnett, meaning he should be getting at least 32mpg. I thought we're under the impression that Penny can still play at least 25mpg. Frank Williams would absolutely need to be traded in a Crawford scenario, since he'll get absolutely no playing time.

I think the Knicks will have a hard time recruiting big name free agents--- we have a team stocked with solid to good, but not great players, all of whom are deserving of some playing time.

I think we can easily weed out the front court a little bit; it seems as if Baker/Mutombo/Harrington/trybanski are very expendable. Isiah has perhaps overvalued Kurt Thomas with his big 8x4 contract.

Any addition to the backcourt would require some sacrifices, most likely letting go of Frank Williams in a deal (Moochie's prolly too hard to trade).
Maybe Crawford will start and Houston will come off the bench for about 26 mpg.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/03/2004 21:53:34]
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/3/2004  11:59 PM
nothing like a $100 Million dollar bench player!
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
7/4/2004  12:08 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Isiah has perhaps overvalued Kurt Thomas with his big 8x4 contract.

KT's salary is more like 7mil per year for 4 years.
Next season KT only makes 5.9mil, so it's not a big contract really.

Imagine the trade deadline in febuary. There are a number of MAX players on the trading block making around 15-17mil. Isiah will have KT+Deke+Othella+Trybanski to trade which will be an enticing package for some team.
It's not an untradeable contract.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
7/4/2004  2:30 AM
So... who will want a 6'8" PF/C making more than the MLE as prime trade bait in a deal? The one saving grace of our stockpiled Knick players is their consistency. Teams looking for quality role players might find some value in Mutombo, KT, and Harrington, mostly because they're known quantities. For example, I think a team like the Nets would be able to use a player like Harrington's Gatling-like nose for the ball in the post off the bench. I think any number of teams could use a player like Mutombo, esp. w/ his expiring contract. Perhaps Penny Hardaway would even garner such attention with his deal coming off the books.

HOWEVER... since none of these players have upside nor are they truly top notch players, the only thing we'll be able to get are underachieving, highly paid players in return.

Yeah, our core market consists of underperforming, highly paid veteran players whose careers we could resurrect or turn around.

From that standpoint, perhaps realistic trade options might include some max or near max guys coming off sub-par seasons (statistically) like Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Antoine Walker, and perhaps to a lesser extent Rashard Lewis.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/4/2004  4:36 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/208862p-180061c.html

Knicks pursuing Crawford

The Knicks and the Chicago Bulls have held preliminary discussions about a possible sign-and-trade for guard Jamal Crawford.
The Knicks are one of several teams who have expressed interest in Crawford, a restricted free agent who is seeking a multi-year deal starting at $7 million.

The Knicks can only offer their $5 million exception, which is why team president Isiah Thomas - who tried to acquire Crawford prior to last year's trade deadline - is trying to orchestrate a sign-and-trade. The Bulls have interest in forward Kurt Thomas, and there is the possibility that the Knicks could trade Shandon Anderson for Crawford and take back one of Chicago's unwanted contracts, either Eddie Robinson or Jerome Williams.

The free-agent neogiating period began Thursday, but teams cannot begin signing players until July 15.

Frank Isola

Originally published on July 4, 2004
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
7/4/2004  10:56 AM
Knicks could trade Shandon Anderson

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/4/2004  2:35 PM
Posted by franco12:

nothing like a $100 Million dollar bench player!
The coach has to assign minutes based on what will help the team win, not based on salary. Jamison has far more money left on his contract than Houston and he just became the NBA's 6th man of the year.
The big question about Jamal Crawford...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy