[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The big question about Jamal Crawford...
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/30/2004  6:22 PM
Do you offer him the full MLE for 6 years and pray that Chicago doesn't match or do you just pursue a sign and trade? If Chicago doesn't match, that would be the best scenario because you still have Kurt and the expiring contracts to use in a trade. However, if Chicago does match, that's the worst possible scenario because it guarantees that he won't become a Knick this summer. I'm a risk-averse person; so, I'd say pursue a sign and trade.
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/30/2004  7:06 PM
it depends on what our assets can get elsewhere- if you sign him to the MLE and Chicago matches- we're out nothing, still have the MLE and the assets to make a trade.

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/30/2004  7:18 PM
he is well worth the full MLE, but i'd prefer getting him via sign & trade using KT & saving the MLE for a frontcourt player(s) if possible.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/30/2004  7:57 PM
With the sign and trades, the signing team almost always tries to get the player to sign a deal first. The team losing the player than looks for something in return rather than offering him more money. It'll go like this...we make the offer to Craw, if he takes it, the Bulls then say "hey, we'll match it unless you give us KT etc," and then we make the deal.
VDesai
USA
6/30/2004  8:04 PM
That's the big concern here. THe Bulls are in a big leverage position because Craw is a RFA. They can hold out for the 15 days or w/e they have to match and try to extract more than what we want to give up in a deal. Of course they may just play poker with us and they might not want to match at all and just want to see if we show our cards. If we do get Crawford to sign an offer sheet its gonna be a tense time untill we find out whether or not we can get him.
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2004  8:16 PM
Posted by franco12:

it depends on what our assets can get elsewhere- if you sign him to the MLE and Chicago matches- we're out nothing, still have the MLE and the assets to make a trade.
No, we're not out nothing; we lose out on Crawford, which would really suck
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/30/2004  8:25 PM
Posted by VDesai:

With the sign and trades, the signing team almost always tries to get the player to sign a deal first. The team losing the player than looks for something in return rather than offering him more money. It'll go like this...we make the offer to Craw, if he takes it, the Bulls then say "hey, we'll match it unless you give us KT etc," and then we make the deal.

yeah, so? you would still have your MLE if you did that anyway, no?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2004  8:31 PM
Yeah, but odds are your can get a better player with a package of Kurt and expiring contracts plus taking back a bad contract than you can with the MLE. That's why it would be ideal to use the MLE on Crawford and save those trade assets
VDesai
USA
6/30/2004  8:45 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by VDesai:

yeah, so? you would still have your MLE if you did that anyway, no?

It would seem so, since its essentially a trade of contracts. Of course then we'd then have to sign Crawford for more than the MLE...
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/30/2004  10:15 PM
first thing you have to do is actually get him to sign one. i think when all is said and done he will either get a knockout offer over his head from left-field or he will sign a deal perhaps a bit more than the MLE with his own club with a smaller term and or opt outs. there is not going to be any sign and trade with the Knicks and he is NOT going to be a Knick--lets put the odds at 1%

i do believe the knicks have a solid 30-40% chance at Dampier.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2004  10:24 PM
If you can be an all-star in NY (and I bet Jamal has the kind of self-confidence to think he can be), you'll come out ahead after endorsements if you have a $5 mil salary than you would in a place like Utah or Atlanta with a $7 mil salary

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/30/2004 22:24:55]
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/30/2004  11:23 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

first thing you have to do is actually get him to sign one. i think when all is said and done he will either get a knockout offer over his head from left-field or he will sign a deal perhaps a bit more than the MLE with his own club with a smaller term and or opt outs. there is not going to be any sign and trade with the Knicks and he is NOT going to be a Knick--lets put the odds at 1%

With all the talk about Crawford coming to NY and virtually nothing said about Dampier even looking here AND asking for 10 mil, you think there is a 30%-40% chance of Dampier being here and a 1% chance of Crawford being here?!?
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2004  11:34 PM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by BRIGGS:

With all the talk about Crawford coming to NY and virtually nothing said about Dampier even looking here AND asking for 10 mil, you think there is a 30%-40% chance of Dampier being here and a 1% chance of Crawford being here?!?
This is actually great news. I usually think the exact opposite of what Briggs says is true, which would mean there's a 99% chance of Crawford coming to the Knicks and a 60 to 70% chance of Dampier coming! This should be an even better offseason than I could have imagined
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/30/2004  11:40 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by BRIGGS:

This is actually great news. I usually think the exact opposite of what Briggs says is true, which would mean there's a 99% chance of Crawford coming to the Knicks and a 60 to 70% chance of Dampier coming! This should be an even better offseason than I could have imagined

I see.....
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
6/30/2004  11:54 PM
It would be great if Briggs would say that there's a 0% chance of Kobe or Rasheed coming
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/1/2004  12:40 AM
Briggs knows his stuff. He may be negative about the Knicks, and may not be right about the direction the org. is going, but he knows talent, and he knows the business.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/1/2004  2:17 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17667.htm

KNICKS SET TO POUNCE ON CRAWFORD

By MARC BERMAN

July 1, 2004 -- Aaron Goodwin, the newly minted super-agent, told The Post yesterday the Knicks will strongly be in the running for his client Jamal Crawford if the Bulls drop the ball today when free-agency begins.

"I will tell you Jamal's initial interest is to stay in Chicago, but he'd love the opportunity to play in New York," said Goodwin, the subject of a Sports Illustrated feature last week that crowned him the NBA's top agent after netting LeBron James. "He's Chicago's to lose. Isiah [Thomas] likes his style of play and the thinking is he will fit in well. He was interested in Jamal in Indiana, too."

At midnight last night, Thomas was permitted to begin calling free agents. He planned on ringing the two biggest fish — Kobe Bryant and power forward Rasheed Wallace. Bryant told The Post during the Finals he would make a recruiting visit to New York if the Knick president invited him, saying, "I'll be there."

However, Thomas can only get Bryant via sign-and-trade, which is unlikely. Thomas has a better chance with Wallace, who has repeatedly said his decision is not based on basketball but the comfort level of his wife, Fatima, who is from Philly, and their four children. His wife, according to sources, wanted to see a trade to the Knicks last winter.

So it is, armed with the mid-level exception worth a little more than $4.9 million, that Crawford becomes the Knicks' best hope at landing an impact player — at the position they need help. He can play shooting guard and point guard and the Knicks need another perimeter scorer with Allan Houston's arthritic knees and Shandon Anderson exposing himself as the NBA's most overpaid player.

The Bulls drafted point guard Ben Gordon with the third pick and guard Chris Duhon in the second round, seemingly bracing for Crawford's departure. The Bulls can match any offer, but Chicago is expected to be scared off if Thomas offers the maximum long-term mid-level deal — six years, $37 million. At that point, they may want to do a sign-and-trade with the Knicks.

"I can only go by what their people tell me," Goodwin said. "They called me the day before the draft to tell me who they were taking. It was a sign of respect. They said they wanted to do a three-guard offense. But at the end of the day, talk is cheap. [Today], we'll see if it's just grandstanding. If Chicago decides not to be a player, the doors are open."

With the mid-level, the Knicks have little chance at top free-agent centers, Marcus Camby, Erick Dampier and Stromile Swift. Camby loves Thomas, who drafted him, and loves New York, but Denver says it will go higher than the mid-level exception to retain him. Camby's agent said he won't consider teams over the cap.

Thomas has some interest in Detroit big man Mehmet Okur, but he's expected to receive offers higher than the mid-level from under-the-cap Phoenix and Utah. Memphis GM Jerry West said he will match any offer to Swift.

The Knicks' best hope at a big man is ex-Knicks Michael Doleac or Antonio McDyess. They might be able to get either of them for the smaller exception, which, according to union attorney Ron Klempner, has risen to $1.6 million. Problem is, only a two-year deal can be offered.

The Knicks will play wait and see with their two free agents, Vin Baker, who never became a low-post offensive force and struggled on defense, and swingman DerMarr Johnson. Johnson will play on the Knicks' summer league team in Long Beach, Cal., his fate to be determined there.

Interestingly, Goodwin represents Baker, too. Package deal?

"It won't be a package deal, but it will be a package conversation," Goodwin cracked.

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/1/2004  3:02 AM
Posted by Rich:

Interestingly, Goodwin represents Baker, too. Package deal?

"It won't be a package deal, but it will be a package conversation," Goodwin cracked.

it is getting interesting.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/1/2004  3:56 AM
It's getting very interesting. I have a feeling we might end up getting Crawford for the MLE, but you think we might end up getting Camby via sign and trade? Thomas and Camby really seem to like eachother, but who knows?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/1/2004  4:03 AM
no way denver trades him. We have nothing that could help them more than him.

the best that could happen would be to get crawford via a s&trade to keep the MLE to get a guy like dampier.

again with all the talks from chicago that they would keep crawford, fact is giving him the full MLE (x2 cause of the luxury tax) would be awfully expensive for a team that is switching direction. a sign and trade makes a lot of sens provided we sen d them a guy like KT and a bunch of expiring contract. In that way they could get rid of bad contracts.

don't forget, very soon they'll have to deal with curry and chandler.
next yr, they're unrestricted and they have to think about that. Signing crawford to absurd numbers will take them further in luxury tax land.
The big question about Jamal Crawford...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy