[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Any Suggestions on your preferred NYK's Summer Plan?
Author Thread
LarrythaLeo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #71
USA
6/30/2004  6:05 PM
Here's mine:

First off I believe no matter what the Knicks accomplish this off-season they appear to be turning the corner as a franchise, and will hopefully be fielding a more competitive team in the future. However here is what I would do if I were in IT's shoes.

1. Offer Jamal Crawford the entire MLE for 6 years (37 million)

2. Offer Michael Doleac the LLE for 2 years (3 million)

3. Offer Dallas a trade

NY receives:
SF Antoine Walker
PF Danny Fortson
SG Tariq Abdul-Wahed

Dallas Receives:
PF Kurt Thomas
SF Tim Thomas
C Dikembe Mutombo
PF Othella Harrington

Why NY Does this: the versatility of Walker is a huge benefit, and should be able to play the three which will allow the knicks to ffind more playing time for Sweetney, Fotson can provide some backup big man help, while Wahed is solely cap filler, while he does play a position the Knicks need help with.

Why DAL Does this: Dallas needs an additional banger even if they do get Shaquille, Dikembe can still provide great defense, most nights out, while he and Harrington have very attractive contracts, Tim Thomas is a throw in albeit he can still provide a scoring punch and before last season had a rep for being a solid post season player.

Projected Line-up
C Nazr Mohammed
PF Mike Sweetney
SF Antoine Walker
SG Allan Houston
PG Stephon Marbury

6th PG/SG Jamal Crawaford
7th SF Penny Hardaway
8th C Michael Doleac
9th PG Frank Williams
10th PF Danny Fortson
11th SG Shandan Anderson
12th SF Demarr Johnson
IR Trevor Ariza
IR Moochie Norris
IR Csezary Trebansky

Feel free to post your off season ideas and suggestions

AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/30/2004  6:12 PM
with that line up, I'd like to see shandon on the IR
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/30/2004  6:15 PM
My first option would be to go after some big men with the MLE. (IE. Sheed, Dampier, Camby, Etan, etc.)
Most realistically would probably be to sign Dyess to the MLE, and as you said, Doleac to the LLE.
If we can't get a big man, I would like to see us wave the MLE at either Crawford or Stephen Jackson.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 06/30/2004 18:52:06]
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/30/2004  7:00 PM
If we do get Antoine Walker, you start him at PF not SF. As much as I want Walker here there is no way I do that deal you came up with. We would be getting Antoine along with two horrible contracts while they get KT, Tim, and 2 of our expiring contracts. That would be a very bad deal for us.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/30/2004  9:07 PM
1) Sign and trade...something like KT/Deke/Othella/Tryb/FW for Crawford/Eddie Robinson/Jerome Williams (I'm not sure how the money works out here...RealGm is malfunctioning for me right now for some reason).

Bulls clear a ton of cap space, get a good replacement for Craw for their 3 guard rotation and a solid veteran PF/C who they can trade again for more assets if they wish to.

Knicks get the versatile guard Crawford, a nice hustling/rebounding backup (and fellow Hoya) for Sweetney and athletic SF Robinson who's a good defender. The last two guys might have bad contracts but they would be actually be good role players for the Knicks. We'd have a ridiculous glut of wing players if we add Robinson.

2) Split the MLE between Michael Doleac and Keon Clark or Adonal Foyle. Doleac would give us a nice pick and role shooting option, and either Clark or Foyle can be the shotblocker off the bench.

So that'd give us...

PG: Marbury, (Crawford), (Penny)
SG: Houston, Crawford, (Penny)
SF: Thomas, Penny, Eddie Robinson
PF: Sweetney, Jerome Williams, (Clark)
C: Mohammed, Doleac, Clark
IR: Anderson, Norris, (Lamizana, Ariza, Chan or Barrett).

Seems like a decent scoring lineup with defensive help off the bench.

My plan will probably change tommorow...

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/30/2004 21:09:44]
VDesai
USA
6/30/2004  9:09 PM
Actually, I just realized, isnt there some sort of archaic rule on teh sign and trade where you can't deal the newly signed player as part of a package, or something like that?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/1/2004  1:38 AM
1) KT, Othella, and Cezary for a re-signed Jamal Crawford and JYD.
2) Sign Etan Thomas to the full MLE (6 yrs, $37 million)-according to DAldridge, the Wiz won't match Thomas and I think he'd want to play in his hometown NY.
3) Sign Mike Doleac LLE.

PG: Marbury, Williams
SG: Houston, Crawford
SF: TThomas, Penny, Ariza
PF: Sweetney, Mohammed
C: EThomas, Doleac, Mutumbo
IL: Norris, Anderson, Chan

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/01/2004 01:39:17]
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/1/2004  9:45 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

2) Sign Etan Thomas to the full MLE (6 yrs, $37 million)-according to DAldridge, the Wiz won't match Thomas and I think he'd want to play in his hometown NY.
3) Sign Mike Doleac LLE.

If all that happened, that would be an awesome offseason!
VDesai
USA
7/1/2004  9:51 AM
If we can get Etan Thomas for the MLE I'd almost want to go for him instead of Crawford. But if we don't make a play at signing Craw what's there to precipiate Chicago making a sign and trade with us?

If we can work a KT for Craw sign and trade, I have no problem taking back Jerome Williams contract and making him a hustling backup to Sweets. But again, isn't there an archaic rule that says you can't package other players with a newly signed one in sign and trade deals. I remember reading this somewhere.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/1/2004  10:01 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

3) Sign Mike Doleac LLE.

That is, mr bigsmooth, a very valuable plan. especially if the bulls don't want to loose craw for nothing.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/1/2004  1:32 PM
All these things are OK to me. If I could make one realistic trade it would be to get Webber. If I could somehow package Shandon, KT and Deke it would save the Kings about $40 mill in future salary for a player they were essentially better without. This would also free up KT and Shandon's long term deals and make room for younger players. You would then have for TT, Marbury, Webber, Penny and Houston with mega deals, but it would free up multiple spots for younger players over the next couple years.

Think this sets us up for the most success. Rather than always trying to trade expiring deals for longer contracts and getting further and further into insane payroll land, we are setting ourselves up by replacing those crazy deals with young players that have been around a winning core for some time.

Frank, Sweetney, Ariza, Chan, DJ... whoever. These guys can play a role, get better and be a part of a true rebuilding process. Also, no more giving up picks.. even if its for HS kids that have to sit for 2-3 years, at least now we have the roster spaces.

Just a thought... personally I'm not dead set on any approach. I think Isiah has a good eye for talent and he's serious about improving the team every way he can. I also see him favoring younger more athletic players than the Spoon/Harrington/Eisley types Layden seemed to like.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Any Suggestions on your preferred NYK's Summer Plan?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy