Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/29/2004  6:30 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Fantastic article.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/24003.htm

I remember last year Vitale, killed the Knicks for choosing Sweetney at 9 over Collison. It was very similar to what he did with Jackson and Igudala. The man is a complete moron. I have absolutely zero respect for the man. Last year it was sweetney's turn to shine and feel good about his accomplishment for being drafted and this lunatic come out and ridicules the Knicks and Sweetney calling him everything in the book just cause they didn't take Collinson. Its a good thing the Knicks didn't take him he missed the whole season. For me that was the first sign that the Knicks were finally going in a better direction.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/29/2004  8:28 PM
good point about that Sweetney/Collison thing.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/29/2004  9:14 PM
Sweets really made our season! Collison might be the man?

Vitale is a PERSONALITY, not an authority. Kind of like Rush Limbaugh, no substance just noise.

Dickie V. is obnoxious and was out of his mind at the draft. He build a studio in his basement (I have seen the plans, its a great house) in Sarasota FL.

Steve A. is becoming a personality also, but he has some legit things to say. I miss Hubie Brown this year!
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
6/29/2004  9:25 PM
Steven A Smith is a moron. How many times can you pronounce elnogated nams of players, and make face while at it? He is beyond awful. I don't understand how they pick the analysts NBA shows. Most of them are so bad.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/29/2004  11:46 PM
Posted by simrud:

Steven A Smith is a moron. How many times can you pronounce elnogated nams of players, and make face while at it? He is beyond awful. I don't understand how they pick the analysts NBA shows. Most of them are so bad.

I look at Steven Smith and say...."This is what would happen if Stu Scott had an evil clone"....I hate his schtick, the way he talks, his "I know I am right attitude"...he is the definition of schmuck...
~You can't run from who you are.~
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
6/30/2004  10:46 AM
Then again, Vitale is correct in one regard: The sanctity of college basketball. Over the past 25 years, not one institution has sunk to hiring him.

That's pretty good stuff from Vecsey. LOL!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/30/2004  11:27 AM
who the hell is Vescey to criticize anyone to that matter? He is the biggest MORON that I have knowned as a writer. He needs to criticise himself before talking bad about anyone.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
USA
6/30/2004  12:55 PM
they're all morons...it's just funny listening to 1 rag on the others.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/30/2004  1:06 PM
excellent article, vescey did rip vitale a new one..LOL...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/30/2004  1:24 PM

I like Vescey. He is entertainment, not a source.

We fans eat rumors up, so these kind of guys will continue to spew the nonsense. Steve A. is like a young black DIckie V. Lots of energy and opinion!

But Vescey is very funny and obnoxious at the same time.

The only one who really bugs me is Bill Walton! The funny thing is he was one of greatest centers of all time before his injuries. But he can really be awful!
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
6/30/2004  2:56 PM
I'll agree that Vecsey is less credible than even Bush. But his ripping into Vitale was fine with me.
JesseDark
Member: #467
6/30/2004  4:12 PM
...and Mark Cuban, owner of the the Dallas Mavericks rips a new you know what for Vescey. I got this from another Knick site but it is originally from Cuban's blog. http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Mishegaas….again
Posted Jun 28, 2004, 9:13 AM ET
It’s been crazy, sleepless and fun the past few days.

Listening to everyone speculate about what the Lakers might do is always entertaining.

Listening to everyone speculate about what the Mavs might do is fun when it comes from fans. Love or hate what we do, might do, or have done, as long as fans have an opinion, that’s always a good thing. It shows passion, and Mavs fans are certainly passionate about our team.

Which leads to a question: In the Entertainment biz, they have very honest job descriptions. Someone who creates and reports gossip is called a gossip columnist. Joan Rivers, Page Six, Cindy Adams, etc. don’t pretend to be reporters. They get paid well to dish out gossip.

Can we please start calling the Sam Smiths and Peter Vesceys and Norman Chads of the world what they really are? Sports Gossip Columnists. They don’t have regard for the truth. Why pretend that they do?

It’s always these old favorites that seem to slime their way to the top. I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show and they had Sam Smith on, my buddy from the Chicago Tribune. Let’s just hope the accountants for the Tribune Company have a higher regard for accuracy in reporting than Sam the Sham does.

Perfect example of Sam in action is Jerry West going on the air during the draft saying the Grizz can’t afford to trade for Shaq. Then Sham chimes on the show saying Shaq is going to Memphis. Sam then does his daily rip on the Mavs and, in particular, our new draft pick, Pavel who he calls a stiff.

How about this for a challenge Sam the Sham Smith?...I will donate 10k dollars to the charity of your choice if you can prove that you have ever seen Pavel play in person or on tape — excluding the footage on the ESPN draft shows. Two minutes of ESPN tape doesn’t qualify as scouting. If you lose, you change your business card title and Tribune byline to “Sports Gossip Columnist”. I will even pay for the cards.

Doesn’t the Tribune Company realize that you are a blight on the entire company? I brought this up to an exec I met who works at the company. He told me they knew it, but that you were like the crazy old uncle they had learned to live with. Great support from your company, Sam.

If they only knew how many times I have told brokers and possible investors that they shouldn’t buy Trib stock because if they can’t get simple details on their sports pages right, how can you trust their accountants? Corporate culture either values accuracy or it doesn’t. The Tribune Company obviously doesn’t.

******** Stop The Presses ********

No lie: After I wrote this blog entry, I sat down to read the NY Times and there in the business section is an article accusing (among others) the Tribune Company for inflating audited subscriber numbers…Maybe the company encourages Sam to lie…who knows…Is lying pervasive at the Tribune Company? Corporate culture is amazingly powerful…

******** We now return to our regularly scheduled blog entry ********

Then of course there is Joan Rivers Vescey. Joan is wrong so often its hard to keep up. This week he wrote (calling it reporting would be so wrong…) that Steve Nash was mad at the Mavs because we hadn’t made an offer to him…Where in Europe did your “sources” talk to Steve? He has been on vacation since the end of the season, but I’m sure he is talking to your ”sources” instead of visiting the Eiffel Tower. I guess I should ignore the emails he has sent me and believe what you wrote instead, Peter.

Where do you get this stuff? And why are you stupid enough to write it as fact? Why are you so lazy that you have NEVER EVER called or emailed me to confirm a single thing you have written? Could it be that you don’t care about the truth? Aren’t you embarrassed that Page 6 in the Post has a better track record than you do?

And while we are on the topic of fantasy masquerading as fact, let me set everyone straight. The Mavs will not trade Dirk. We have never discussed a trade with Dirk or Steve for that matter.

As far as making additional trades, it’s no secret that we have discussed trading Antoine Walker. Walk did everything we asked of him this past year. He played every single position on the court — from point guard to center. He defended guys twice his size. He changed his game to fit our needs. He is an amazing talent.

While other players might have gotten upset or complained, Walk went to war for us. I can’t tell you how much respect I have for Walk, and what a positive he has been in the locker room and in representing the Mavs organization. It’s because he went to the wall for us that we told him that we would see if there was a better fit on another team. His flexibility was a big plus for us, but he would excel even further if he could find a specific role and focus on it.

We also told him that we wouldn’t just trade him just to move him. Guys who work as hard as Antoine — and are as versatile — aren’t easy to come by.

I’m off to see our new guys workout. We play against China this week. I can’t wait to see Pavel against Yao!

One last thing: If comments on the blog get personal and aren’t on topic, they will be removed. If policing comments becomes a hassle, I will just turn them off.

Bring back dee-fense
TMS
USA
6/30/2004  4:23 PM
that was posted already btw.

http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=5065
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/1/2004  3:17 AM
maybe but that one from a cuban is so good that it's worth being posted twice !
Vescey Tears into Vitale

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy