[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

how about KT for aaron mckie and phillys 2005 #1 pick
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/28/2004  11:19 PM
philly wants to win now and i think they will part with the pick for a quality big. i dont think we are going to get anything great for KT+his contract and aarons are identical. the pick gives us two very nice assets, one that we could use this year if needed. we cant use the other 1 because we traded last year.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/28/2004  11:24 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

philly wants to win now and i think they will part with the pick for a quality big. i dont think we are going to get anything great for KT+his contract and aarons are identical. the pick gives us two very nice assets, one that we could use this year if needed. we cant use the other 1 because we traded last year.
I don't want McKie and a 2005 pick is too far away to interest anyone who wants to win this season; no thanks. I'd rather keep Kurt and play Penny as backup PG. I actually am not too keen on rebuilding through the draft; I'd rather rebuild by using expiring contracts to pull off more Marbury type trades and by using the MLE each year

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/28/2004 23:26:43]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/29/2004  12:57 AM
I don't think Philly would give up an unprotected 1 for 2005 for Kurt.
BRIGGS
6/29/2004  9:27 AM
a trade like that usually you get top 5 protection. we almost traded KT for malik rose and their pick. malik is about 6-5 has much more money than KT had on his contract and played a position that was clogged. Philly has a need for a good big man. We have a need for a back up 2 who could start. Its a much better deal than that malik rose blah, it opens up some space, fills a need and gives us a nice asset we can hold on to. you cant keep spending with where we are at payroll wise trying to improve the team. you cant take on 50mm+ in contracts each year. we need a different avenue where we can acquire assets--looking for a team that is desperate for a big man who would be willing to give up a reasonable shooting G and a pick would be the way to go IMHO.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/29/2004  9:30 AM
It's better than that crappy Malik Rose deal, but this deal is no good either IMO unless we get a top 15 pick from Philly.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/29/2004  9:34 AM
the problems w/ the 2 position were magnified because both Allen and Tim were out. When TT is in back it gives you another shooter and a guy that can score from anywhere as well as handle the ball. I dont see why giving Penny, Frank or Dermaar minutes at the 2 hurts us.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VDesai
USA
6/29/2004  9:38 AM
Unless we get a really nice offer, I'd hold onto Kurt until we can land another big man, be it at PF or C. Right now KT is probably the best C on our roster, and that's including Nazr.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/29/2004  9:39 AM
That would mean having a future asset? That does not create a buzz.

THen we would have to draft a player, sit them on the bench, then release them, or throw them in a trade.

Actually, if Sweets is stepping up to start and Isiah believes he is the one then its a nice trade. It gives us a nice backup, and a future asset.

Good teams, no-Great teams do this all the time. Draft a player, develope them, than get a missing piece and a future draft pick. Trade old players when they still have value and have young'ins replace them. Its keeps payroll down and inventory good.

We have a long way to go, but that is a smart move for the organization. We still make the playoffs and build a future.

If I am Isiah, I keep making the playoffs, say we are committed to winning, keep interest up, but have a long range plan of moving out bad contracts and bloated players. This takes time and patience. Sometimes you have to pay up first to get a decent team on the floor (phase 1), then stay away from adding years and contracts unless you get SOME future considerations.

I love the idea of that trade. It does not put us over the top, but thats not really in the cards either.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/29/2004  9:49 AM
when the season starts, Aaron McKie will be 32.

the only 32 year old the knicks should trade for or sign is Shaq.

McKie's best years are behind him.

so we get Philly's #1 pick next year- it could be a mid round pick- any where from 12-17. maybe the Sixers stink and we get the #1 overall pick- the chances of that happening are just too unlikely.

BRIGGS
6/29/2004  10:05 AM
you dont understand the concept. while we may be trading for a 32 year old player --we are giving up a 32 year old player with the same exact $$$$$. We are NOT winning any CHAMPIONSHIP with KT as a starter, not even close. If we can get a deal similar to what Portland did with Bonzi wells--top 5 protection, it makes tremendous sense. It becomes a valuable asset., one we can hold on to all year and figure out a plan after the season or if opportunity knocked--use it this year. But you are NOT going to find a 24 year old player for KT. And its either you hold on to KT let him age and falter --letting his value plummet to nill--or you look for a team that wants to win now and has a dire need for a big man who would be willing to give up a 2 G + the pick. If you read, many of these teams want a big man and there is not enough--supply demand etc... We have to many guys in the post and we need to make more time for Sweetney--we have NO clue about H2O and we dont have a guy who can play 2G and guard to G except andersen which is not acceptable anymore. Holding on to aging players is what F this organization in the first place. Yes we would be getting a 32 year old back BUt we get a VERY valuable asset. The more chips you have to work with, the more you can get done.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/29/2004  10:19 AM
i'd make that trade BRIGGS...getting a potential lottery pick in '05 would be well worth it for me to give up KT...but do you think they would be interested in KT enough to give up McKie & a 1st round pick?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/29/2004  10:24 AM
Posted by TMS:

i'd make that trade BRIGGS...getting a potential lottery pick in '05 would be well worth it for me to give up KT...but do you think they would be interested in KT enough to give up McKie & a 1st round pick?
I'd rather use Kurt to get a player who is young and can contribute this year--Jamal Crawford, Flip Murray, or some other players. I pick around fifteen next year isn't that appealing. I'm not particularly interested in rebuilding through the draft. I'd rather get guys who have shown they can already play in the NBA.
TMS
USA
6/29/2004  10:31 AM
if Philly misses the playoffs, which is distinctly possible (you never know, an injury to AI or something else), that pick turns into a lottery pick...i think owning an extra #1 next season could be VITAL in this team getting an impact player...Isiah can package both to move up, or he can trade them for an already established player...we all saw the moves that were made at this year's draft...i'd like to be a player in next year's draft if possible.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
6/29/2004  11:07 AM
anything from the chicago tribune espn insider or various NY papers--namely the post and news is hogwash 90% of the time. I guess it is possible to get Jamal Crawford if we take back jerome williams contract for KT Frank and Deke. It is a possibile scenario, but I dont think it will come to fruition. I think Chicago learned atleast a partial lesson from their past mistakes and will hold on to their pieces. If Seattle wants to offer Ray Allen for Crawford and Robinson, I would look into it, but I still would likely stay with Crawford. Im not trading Crawford if Im Chicago and I would match any reasonable offer. If someone wants to give him a max contract--then ce la vie.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
USA
6/29/2004  11:18 AM
Okay Crawfords young, good and has a lot of potential, but the fact of the matter is he's still a 37-38% shooter, has a selfish rep, and doesn't play much D. He's still a combo guy (though he's becoming more a of a two). There are lot of question marks with him and he's gonna have to be a bench player for Chicago. Considering all this I have a hard time believing Chicago matches any big money long term deals for him. He's not 6'11 so he's not gonna get Odom's deal. The 6 year 37.5 mil he can get with the MLE is a pretty big contract and he could get a little more. If I'm Chicago I try work a sign and trade with this guy, but I'm not gonna pay him a whole lot, let him sit on the bench and make him turn into someone who whines for playing time while he's hurting my cap. Knowing Skiles' hardass rep, and the fact that they clashed last year, this doesn't exactly seem like a great situation for him.

Of course with the Knicks he may not even start with Houston back, but you know he can get at least 25 minutes behind Allan and Steph, and would likely be a spot starter and future starter. The change of situation is also something he's probably looking for. I don't know if we're the one who'd get him, but I'm not sure that I see Chicago keeping him unless he gets lowballed in the FA market.
metra
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #473
6/29/2004  11:27 AM
Briggs, who are we gonna get that fills in the PF? I love Sweets and his OR-ing but he cant fill that void. We have too many SF's and guards.. Trading a PF/C isnt gonna help. I would take this deal in an instant if theres a PF that we can get who can fill the void.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/29/2004  11:33 AM
The answer is IF sweets had developed enough to take that spot. It happens on other teams!

I do think we will do a sign and trade with Detroit for RashWeed.
TMS
USA
6/29/2004  11:49 AM
Posted by metra:

Briggs, who are we gonna get that fills in the PF? I love Sweets and his OR-ing but he cant fill that void. We have too many SF's and guards.. Trading a PF/C isnt gonna help. I would take this deal in an instant if theres a PF that we can get who can fill the void.

how about Etan Thomas? you can sign him for the MLE...or even if you can't, why can't Sweetney simply step in & do the job? you think he's incapable of 11 & 8 type numbers?

[Edited by - TMS on 06/29/2004 11:50:05]
BRIGGS
6/29/2004  11:51 AM
Posted by metra:

Again the deal is about being pro-active towards the future. If you believe that KT is the difference between the Knicks not winning the championship, then hold'em. I se it differently. I think the Knicks have a very good shot at either Dampier or Mihm-possibly Swift and Doleac at the lower case exception. This would allow Nazr or Sweetney to start 4. Is it possible we could pick up both Dampier and Doleac--it is possible and we will see very soon. I really believe Nazr is much more of a 4 than a 5--although he can move to 5.

Even if we walk away with just Doleac--KT IMHO is gone. The whole key is getting value while their is value to be had UNLESS you feel the player is a difference maker.

KT as a starter the last 4 years has produced an average of 36 wins.
RIP Crushalot😞
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
6/29/2004  12:49 PM
I like this deal and would do it. My only concern: we'd be concentrating almost all our bad contracts (H20, Penny, Shandone, McKie) at the wing positions, which I think hurts our flexibility a bit.
how about KT for aaron mckie and phillys 2005 #1 pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy