Nets desperate to deal Kerry Kittles?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  11:46 AM
http://nypost.com/sports/nets/23958.htm

Unless the Nets find a taker for Kerry Kittles and his $10 million salary — and quickly — the team's Big Three could quickly become the Big Two.

Nets CEO Rod Thorn acknowledged holding "conversations regarding every player on our team over the past month" but insisted the team is not openly shopping anybody. Several team sources, however, insist the chances of returning Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin and Richard Jefferson are dim unless the club can clear some money. And that clearing comes back to Kittles.

"I can't put a percentage on it," Thorn said of returning the Big Three intact. "Obviously, we'll do everything to keep our team as competitive as we possibly can."

If the Nets can't find a taker for Kittles' salary — and the hope is to bring back two or three players who would form the core of the bench — alternatives include trading Kidd to match whatever offer Martin is sure to get in free agency or letting Martin walk as a free agent.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  12:17 PM
i've also been hearing rumors that the Nets are shopping Jason Kidd...

what do you guys think about a Kidd to Dallas trade? i think it's a good possibility if they can get Nash to sign for around $10 mil per...that should free up enough cash to sign RJ to a max extension next season.

maybe Nash, Najera & Howard for Kidd?...if Dallas could trade Dirk & Walker for Shaq in another deal & then do this one, they'd be the odds on favorites to win it all next season:

C - Shaq / Bradley
PF - MLE (Malone?) / Fortson / Laettner
SF - Stackhouse / Daniels
SG - Finley / Wahad
PG - Kidd / Delk / Stefansson
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/28/2004  1:04 PM
I told Briggs the Nets had major issues regarding salary and got a big whatever. Simple fact is look at how Kittle's salary is impacting their plans. Imagine HAVING to let Kmart walk because you have Kittles signed to $9mm. This is what Briggs and some dont understand. Memphis and other teams are in exactly the same boat, and they watch closely the position that other teams find themselves in. THIS is why we have a good chance of getting Swift for the MLE, or Crawford, or Dampier, or Jackson... because a 40mm contract is a huge decision for the Grizz, especially for an 18 minute a game Stro Swift.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/28/2004  1:35 PM
If GMs were smart they should stay away from Kittles and force them to trade Kidd or let Martin walk. That = to Nets no longer being a threat which is more than Kittles would get u if u traded for him.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
USA
6/28/2004  1:54 PM
I would take Kittles...

Kittles for Shandon and Othella's expiring deal. That will save the Nets significant $$ and get us a perimeter player that can actually do something. If we need to include TSki's expiring deal to make the $$$ work than so be it.

Then the 2 for one or 3 for one clears up some roster space for a couple prospects.
fishmike
USA
6/28/2004  1:57 PM
Kerry's in his walk year also... nevermind, I thought he had a longer deal.
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  2:20 PM
i would trade for Kittles too, but it will take expiring deals or players who have reasonable deals who can play a significant role on their team next year.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/28/2004  2:27 PM
The only thing the Nets can do is trade Kittles to a team under the cap. How else can the Nets save money on Kittles unles they trade him for expiring deals worth less than what he's making? I think you can salary match within 20%, but that would only save them a couple million or so. The easiest way would be to do what Phoenix did with Gugliotta...make Utah take his money and give them a first round pick as compensation. The Nets already dealt this year's first for cash...
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/28/2004  2:39 PM
If I was SA or Denver I would be very interested in Kittles. He can really shoot the ball and defend+ he has an expiring contract. Of course I would pigeonhold the Nets for an extra 3mm + 2 first rounders, but Kittles for 6mm and a couple of 1st rounders is a good deal. I think thats what they will do. They can move Luscious harris to starter and use the LLE on a back up like Ron Merecer or Rodney white.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  2:50 PM
if i were SA i would much rather re-sign Manu Ginobili than go after Kittles...i'd pursue a trade w/the Warriors for Dampier before i approached the Nets for Kittles.

& i thought you said the Knicks would have little to no shot of signing Rodney White w/the MLE...why do the Nets have a shot at signing him to the LLE? does that make any sense?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/28/2004  3:05 PM
Kittle's money comes off at the end of the year- if they can't afford to pay Martin and let Kittles walk at the end of the year, this Nets franchise will quickly be the old Nets franchise by the time they move to Brooklyn
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  3:12 PM
1 deal i can see that would save the Nets millions of dollars going forward is this:

trade Kerry Kittles to DEN for Rodney White in a sign & trade at midlevel dollars...that would save the Nets about $10 mil next season if you include the luxury tax, & then after next season, Rodney Rogers & Lucious Harris' contracts can be allowed to come off the books, w/Rodney White taking on their roles & making reasonable salary for the next several years...DEN is under the cap so they can make this trade happen if they want Kittles.
BRIGGS
6/28/2004  3:26 PM
rodney white doesnt deserve nor will he get an MLE. i wanted the knicks to acquire white for doleac a long time ago. i would still take him on the cheap as a back up 2-3, but its not likely we go in that direction. Kittles is a good compliment to Duncan and is better than anyone Denver has at 2. I dont know what Ginobli will fetch on the open market??? but its feasible he could be over paid making Kittles and a 1 year deal very attractive.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  3:46 PM
come to think of it, why would DEN do anything to help the Nets re-sign K-Mart when he's the guy they want in the 1st place?
BRIGGS
6/28/2004  3:58 PM
nets still hold the cards. IF denver did something like frontload the contract on max dollars--it sure would make things interesting, but the nets still hold the right to match. they could tie up denver for 15 days and match the contract as other vital FAs get picked up.
i think that ultimately the Nets will retain Martin and give up Kittles in a deal similar to what I said kittle + 2 number 1s +33m$ in cash. with that type of deal you will get atlanta utah +charlotte into the bidding.
You could also offer jefferson and kittles together in a package to a team like Clev and take back Luke Jackson Wagner and Diop + next years #1 because it would keep clev under the cap.

there are ways out but the guy i wouldnt want gone is martin.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  4:14 PM
Nets aren't trading RJ...he's the last guy they would trade at this point...the reason they're hedging on signing K-Mart to a max deal is because they're worried they will lose RJ to free agency next season...otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

i think NJ is in a bind, & i really can't see them keeping their big 3 together past next season because of the budget constraints being put on them by their new ownership.
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/28/2004  7:12 PM
I really think this is a potential big opportunity to move houston and shandon. a full third of the nets salary is tied up in mutombo and mourning...that's twenty million next year and another five or six per over the following two (NOT counting lux tax) in players who will never play a minute. the one thing every one agrees is that this team needs someone who can hit an outside shot.

This deal works on paper: kittles, mourning and mutombo's fifteen mill owed next year for houston, kurt and anderson. why?

nets can use houston's outside shot and anderson can come off their bench and run. kurt provides a tough guy to replace kenyon who they might very well have to let walk.

We can stomach the fifteen mill for one year for mutombo if it means not having to deal with houston's grotesque last two years (18.5, 20 mill respectively), we have the dough to buy out alonzon and we can let kittles walk or trade him at the deadline.

This addresses the nets lack of an outside shooter, their shallow bench and the fact that they might lose kenyon for nothing...

With us, it addresses our two worst contracts (shandon and houston) and our longest contract (kurt) this allows Sweetney to start with othella coming off the bench and tt possibly seeing some time at the 4. This also puts us under the cap in two years when penny, nazr and tim's contracts are up.

Chico
6/28/2004  7:17 PM
While my deal doesn't help the nets financial situation, it does replace a player they're trying to move and two non playing contracts with two starters and a sixth/seventh man. Can they really turn this down? This also opens up 2 roster spots and allows us to literally rebuild on the run... the more i think about this, the more i think this works well for both teams (taking into account the nets flux sit-- moving, new ownership etc) and our unique revenue stream...
TMS
USA
6/28/2004  7:29 PM
i don't think you have any shot at all once you involve Houston's contract in the deal...they would then have both Kidd & Houston's max deals on the books for the next 3 years...there would be no possible way they could sign K-Mart OR RJ for that matter to an extension.

the idea to take on Zo & Deke's salary remainder is intriguing, but forget about them taking on Houston or Shandon's contracts, cuz they'd probably rather have those other contracts on the books doing nothing.
Chico
6/28/2004  7:44 PM
Your point about RJ is well taken...I didn't factor that in, but my premise assumed they were going to have to let KMart walk...anyway, the point is, I think we have an advantage over other teams because of our revenue stream (re: ridiculous tick prices and our own network...and now no ushers) we can take non playing contracts like pippen, mutombo, mourning, the guy on memphis (michael dickerson???) in exchange for our absurdly overpriced contracts (houston, hardaway, anderson and tt)
Nets desperate to deal Kerry Kittles?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy