[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Advantages of long arm players
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/27/2004  2:48 AM
I don't understand why teams are just now realizing that it is a vital part of the game. They have spent so many years trying to go for tall players with no lateral movement, while forgeting the importance of wingspan. I can't believe that it had to take Detroit winning the championship to highlight that point. I don't know if you all can remember this, but during the Chicago years as champion, Scotty, Rodman, and Jordan anchored the defense mainly because of their reach. They had long arms and always had an advantage on whomever they were garding. Tall players use a lot of energy specially when it comes to speed. However, when you are a little shorter with a gigantic wingspan, you can still be fast, but very agile with the hands.

I am so glad that Isiah has taken the time and begin to invest on players with long arms. One reason why Anderson is such a poor defender is because his reach is not that long. For a player that gambles as much as he does defensively, his reach should be a very vital part of his game.

Can someone please tell me how much of a wing span that TT has? Perhaps that is the reason why he is not such a good defender/rebounder.

Sweetney has excellent wingspan, great rebounder, decent defender for now.

That new guy (TA) we just drafted will be a very good defender/rebounder.

I hope that this philosophy is retained by Isiah when looking for the FAs that we may get a crack at. Another thing that I hope that he will also consider is ability to palm the ball.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/27/2004  3:53 AM
Phil Jackson was one of the early players who possessed that physical trait. Holzman used him to guard the inbound pass, and obviously it's an aid in rebouding and post defense.
TheSage
Member: #386
6/27/2004  7:06 AM
Most of you aren't old enough to remember but the knx once drafted Jim "Bad News" Barnes over Lucious "Luke" Jackson because Jackson had short arms. BTW their their second round pick was a kid from a small "black" school in Ruston Louisiana-believe his name was Willis Reed. Guess his arms were long enough.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/27/2004  7:49 AM
Long arms: wing span, is important but they can only be used if a player is talented enough to use them. Talent is always more important than physical attributes.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
6/27/2004  4:06 PM
[b]. One reason why Anderson is such a poor defender is because his reach is not that long. For a player that gambles as much as he does defensively, his reach should be a very vital part of his game.
I am by no stretch of the imagination a Shandon Anderson fan, but he is not a poor defender. He is a very good defender off the ball and an above average defender on the ball. He is terrible offensively, but he is probably our best perimeter defender.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
kNYks342
Member: #466
6/27/2004  4:32 PM
I am by no stretch of the imagination a Shandon Anderson fan, but he is not a poor defender. He is a very good defender off the ball and an above average defender on the ball. He is terrible offensively, but he is probably our best perimeter defender

i beg to differ penny showed me something last year....i think he is a better defender than anderson
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/27/2004  4:42 PM
Anderson is just flat out stupid
nyballer
USA
6/27/2004  5:16 PM
Posted by kNYks342:
I am by no stretch of the imagination a Shandon Anderson fan, but he is not a poor defender. He is a very good defender off the ball and an above average defender on the ball. He is terrible offensively, but he is probably our best perimeter defender

i beg to differ penny showed me something last year....i think he is a better defender than anderson

i think penny is our smartest defender, he is very good at overplaying the passing lanes/sensing his opponent's moves, etc,the things that come with being in the league and being a star player at one point. but against more athletic 2's and 1's, i think anderson is better. he has better lateral movement than penny and is quicker to getting to his defender. but i do agree with you to some extent, if the game was on the line id probably rather have penny guarding the go-to-guy than anderson on the last play.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/27/2004  6:58 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Anderson is just flat out stupid

I'll second that....

Shandon likes to run and he's quick to get outand lead the fast break and he always screws up te play. I thought the rule was find your point guard.

During the playoffs he was on the break with Sweetney Sweetney had his man beat but Shandon passed him the ball when Sweetney was slowing down because he was too close to the basket. Sweetney made a great catch but he now had to make a awkward shot instead of in stride. Number one rule on the fast break is never let the big man put it on the floor. At the point when he passed it to Sweets Shandon should have taken the shot.

At the same time Shandons strenghts are supposed to be the fast break.

Yeah man this dude has got to be the stupidest player in the league, right along with Clarence "try to dunk everything" Weatherspoon.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
diderotn
USA
6/27/2004  11:02 PM
I can't believe that after all that we have been through this year, we still have people saying that Shanndon fvking Anderson is a great defender. That in my opinion is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. Shandon is garbage.
nyballer
USA
6/28/2004  1:28 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I can't believe that after all that we have been through this year, we still have people saying that Shanndon fvking Anderson is a great defender. That in my opinion is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. Shandon is garbage.
he is a terrible offensive player and i dont think he should be out on the floor - his defense is better than most of the knick guard defenders (marbury and penny are good perimeter defenders, frank is tough but hes not big enough). i dont think his defense makes up for his terrible offense and i am all for getting rid of shandon, but to say that he is a terrible defender isnt fair. hes not a good player, but he can defend better than most of the knick perimeter players.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/28/2004  9:52 AM
He's such a great defender than Isiah's phone is ringing off the hook with people who want to trade for him.
diderotn
USA
6/28/2004  9:57 AM
Bruce Bowen is a defender. please stop while you are ahead about Anderson.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  10:15 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Long arms: wing span, is important but they can only be used if a player is talented enough to use them. Talent is always more important than physical attributes.

i agree 100% Anthony Bonner had long arms, so what?...you need talent to go w/ur physical attributes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyballer
USA
6/28/2004  2:11 PM
Posted by franco12:

He's such a great defender than Isiah's phone is ringing off the hook with people who want to trade for him.

he's grossly overpaid, that's why nobody wants him. i'm sure that if he was at a much more reasonable price (he's probably worth about 2mm a year) then there would be some (albeit slight) interest. he's not a great defender, but hes an above average one, especially compared to houston.
Advantages of long arm players

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy