[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Info on Lamizana's injury?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/26/2004  11:19 PM
How bad was Lamizana's ankle injury? It's strange that the reason teams passed on him in the 2nd round was his ankle injury. Ankle injuries are very common in basketball. But full recoveries are also very common. I wouldn't expect a team to pass on a player due to an ankle injury unless it was an extremely serious injury and a full recovery was *not* expected. Anyone know the details of his injury? Was it a sprain (if so, what level?) or a fracture?
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
6/26/2004  11:30 PM
Well here's a little info

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_basketball/20040324-1852-bkc-nit-villanova-rutgers.html
Lamizana, who twisted his right ankle in practice Tuesday and was a game-time decision, equaled his career high in blocks and added two steals.

Apparently he injured his ankle in March and is still having problems

Another article:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/report/RUT/6196601

Herve Lamizana sprained his right ankle in the loss to West Virginia. Lamizana returned to the game, but there is concern over the extent of the injury because it's the same ankle Lamizana broke in high school.
This article was back in February. I guess he broke the ankle in high school, re-injured it in February, re-injured it in March, and still couldn't work out with teams in June.

June 2004 article

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_chicago_camp_impressions_060904.html
Lamizana, who ranked eighth in the nation in blocks this past season, suffered a sprained ankle as players went through an intense session of drills and scrimmaging. He’ll likely miss Wednesday’s session and could be sidelined for the remainder of the camp, which could affect his draft status.

Now I'm beginning to understand why teams passed on him

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/26/2004 23:40:23]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/26/2004  11:51 PM
He was bothered by it late in the season, but no one ever considered a serious injury. I have no idea whether they were hiding anything. I think more than anything he wasn't drafted because he really didnt show improvement last year. I blame a good deal of that on the coaching, but I think a lot of NBA scouts question his attitude. But Gary Waters offense was very perimiter oriented, rarely attacked the basket and didn't really do much to help Herve develop an inside or post game.
Bonn1997
USA
6/26/2004  11:57 PM
Posted by VDesai:

He was bothered by it late in the season, but no one ever considered a serious injury. I have no idea whether they were hiding anything. I think more than anything he wasn't drafted because he really didnt show improvement last year. I blame a good deal of that on the coaching, but I think a lot of NBA scouts question his attitude. But Gary Waters offense was very perimiter oriented, rarely attacked the basket and didn't really do much to help Herve develop an inside or post game.
If there's only one roster spot available, would you rather Ariza or Lamizana got it?
VDesai
USA
6/27/2004  12:21 AM
I am biased. I go to Rutgers, am a huge Rutgers fan and have covered the team occasionally for the student radio station. I've seen a ton of Lamizana and only a couple games from Ariza. I know Lamizana has a lot of athletic talents and can at least play a role on the NBA level. I really think he can benefit from NBA coaching and become a better player than he was in college on this level. He can be an outstanding shotblocker from the forward position and he can really leap. However there are no guarantees with him. He is still raw (even after 3 college seasons) and maybe he will never get it. He's not exactly a natural for the game. I'm rooting for him though.

Ariza's probably a more of a natural. He seems to have the court sense, is probably a better one on one defender and can certainly handle the ball better. I don't know if he's as good an athlete as Lamizana or if he's more ready to contribute this year than Lamizana. But his upside is great and he's younger. Perhaps he's more likely to be a solid NBA guy. Maybe that gets him the spot.

Bottom line is both guys are no locks for anything. I'd love to get a look at both of them and see who shows more in the summer league. I think one thing we have to be happy about is Isiah seems to be bringing more talented young guys into the summer league roster than we've had in previous years. Don't count out Barret either. IF we can open up a spot for a PG (buy either moving Moochie or Frank) he may very well take it. I'd be he would've been the 2nd round pick if Ariza wasn't on the board.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/27/2004 00:22:59]
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/27/2004  1:05 AM
I love how teams question Lamizana's attitude and heart when he plays on a hurt ankle for a few years and injures it and goes back in the games. Just because he doesn't showboat or act like a jackass doesn't mean he doesn't have heart. I'm interested in him, hopefully he's on the summer league team.
#Knickstaps
VDesai
USA
6/27/2004  10:56 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I love how teams question Lamizana's attitude and heart when he plays on a hurt ankle for a few years and injures it and goes back in the games. Just because he doesn't showboat or act like a jackass doesn't mean he doesn't have heart. I'm interested in him, hopefully he's on the summer league team.

I think more or less he's a quiet guy...it's not that he lacks heart. But I do tend to agree he hasn't completely been serious about the game and getting better yet. He can take it a step further.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  9:55 AM
1 possible solution would be to unload Shandon & Deke for a Raef LaFrentz, which would open up the roster spots for both Ariza & Lamizana to join the team next season...LaFrentz has a horrible enough contract to make that trade seem feasible imo...but Ainge & Thomas don't really like each other, so it might take another team getting involved to make it work.

C - Nazr / LaFrentz
PF - KT / Sweetney
SF - Thomas / DerMarr / Ariza
SG - Houston / Penny
PG - Marbury / Frank / Moochie
IR - Harrington / Lamizana / Trybanski
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Info on Lamizana's injury?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy