[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Crawford or Thomas?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/26/2004  11:04 AM
With the team as it is now, and the Knicks only having one mid-level exception, who would you rather see them sign (and this means that, for argument's sake, neither the Bulls or Wiz match the contract): Jamal Crawford or Etan Thomas?

Do you get the guard for the future in Crawford or go with a nice, young frontcourt player in Thomas? Which one do you think is more important? Of course it'd be nice to see one obtained via sign-and-trade (with expiring contracts maybe?) and one with the MLE, but I don't think that's realisitic.

My thinking is if you trade Kurt Thomas, you have to go with Etan Thomas to get that defensive minded big man back. Would you trade Kurt Thomas in a sign-and-trade for Etan Thomas? Would the Wiz? I think these are the type of questions Isiah's dealing with before the FA period. I'd target just these two guys, I think Dampier and all those other names are mentioned. Etan is waiting to break out in my opinion, just like Ben Wallace was. He's athletic, active around the basket, a great rebounder and a good shotblocker (something the Knicks don't have with exception to Mutumbo, who will probably be traded.) Crawford could play 1 or 2 for the next 6 years with Houston, providing a devastating backcourt. He also fits the description of a guy who can bring the ball up, something Isiah said he wanted when the Antoine Walker rumors were going around.

Crawford or Etan if you can only get one?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/26/2004  11:49 AM
I haven't seen ALOT of Crawford, but from what I have seen, and heard, he is pretty inonsistent. I wouldn't mind signing him, especially for the MLE, but out of those two guys, my first choice would be Etan.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/26/2004  1:22 PM
Tough choice. Crawford probably has more upside. He's a chucker right now with horrible shooting percentages, but his biggest issue is consistency. He can definitely run hot and cold. He's the kind of play Isiah is looking for. He can handle the ball and take pressue off of Marbury, can play both guard spots, can be energy off the bench and can start if Houston is still hurt.

I love Thomas' defensive intensity and rebounding and would certainly welcome him.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/26/2004  1:28 PM
there is no way that we will get either player. no way crawford walks unless someone offers him ungodly sums of $$$ and Etan Thomas the same. i really do think we have a chance right now at erick dampier--i think our chances went up considerably once he opted out. i would put our chances up at 33% or so unless someone comes up with an enormous pot of gold. i dont think dampier will play in the west unless its for denver[who can pay him big and has a winning team] and in the east its between IMHO the Knicks Heat Pacers possibly the Pistons Boston or Washington.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
USA
6/26/2004  1:33 PM
You think the Bulls are gonna match 6 years 37.5 mil for Crawford with Gordon, Hinrich, Duhon and some of their other swing men? I think there's definitely a chance they won't match if they want to keep their cap under control. Most teams would not pay that much to a backup player.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/26/2004  1:42 PM
I would definitely welcome Thomas because I love his intensity and this team desperately needs that but if I had to choose between him and Crawford I would have to go with Craw. Jamal has enough raw talent to become a superstar and him and Marbury would cause havoc when on the court together. I wouldn't mind at all if we could get Etan but he's a PF and we already have a couple of those that can play well, Jamal on the other hand is a scoring guard that we really need especially if Houston ever gets injured again. If Etan was just a little taller I would take him and play him at C but he is most useful as a PF. I don't want to go off topic but I really hope Isiah is going to go hard at Dampier because a lot of other teams are suddenly becoming interested in him. Dampier has said before that he would love to play here so I would try to get him here as quickly as possible before the Mavericks or Lakers convince him to play for them. IMO acquiring Crawford and Dampier would be the perfect offseason for us.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/26/2004  2:39 PM
The writing was on the wall for Crawford when the Bulls took him out of the starting lineup last year. And the writing became even clearer when they drafted Gordon. He realizes that he's not part of Chicago's plans and I'm sure he doesn't want to be stuck on the bench there. The only two questions are, will the Bulls match a 6 year 38 mil contract just so that they don't lose him for nothing (and then they're stuck with him through at least December--the earliest they could trade him)? and will some team with cap room give him more than the MLE? I think he'd still take the MLE with NY even if some team offered him slightly more because he's said he'd like to play for Isiah and if he becomes a star, he'll make a lot in endorsements in NY.

I'd love to get both Etan and Jamal--one in a sign and trade and the other with the MLE. That would be ideal.

If you trade Kurt, you have to obtain a good low-post defender this summer.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/26/2004 14:40:58]
VDesai
USA
6/26/2004  3:10 PM
Would Washington consider a sign and trade, Etan and filler for Kurt? I'm not sure what their timetable is but they could use a veteran considering all the 2nd and 3rd year guys they have. I believe Etan could produce as much as Kurt next year. Or is getting Craw in a sign and trade more likely?
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

6/26/2004  4:12 PM
we need frontcourt help more than we need back court help

steph/frank and houston/penny can get it done, its the rest im worried about
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/26/2004  4:31 PM
this is a moot subject. go look at their roster they are very thin at 1-2-3 positions. there is NO way they are giving crawford up for 5-6 mm a year--they cant afford to give away a player like that. if a team comes in with a dramaticly over priced cost--then i can see them letting him go. but they have no back ups at 1-2 they have no one at 3. My guess is they go hard after stephen jackson and bring in deng and gordon as back ups. chris duhon IMHo will have a hard time making this team even as thin as it is.
same thing with etan thomas wash is not in position to just give this player away and from what I read they arent.

young restricted FA with talent are hard to get with what we have when there is also 10-12 other teams with actual cap room. etan Thomas and crawford are top 6-7 FA they will be retained unless someone over pays--we are not even in this game.

on the other hand we are a legitimate contender for dampier -there is no doubt about that.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
6/26/2004  5:03 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

this is a moot subject. go look at their roster they are very thin at 1-2-3 positions.
Very thin?? They have lottery picks at both backcourt positions. I'm sure Isiah would give them Frank in a sign and trade too to get Crawford.
RonRon
Member: #246
6/26/2004  5:37 PM
briggs is right, the bulls can just match the offer and trade him a couple months later for ATLEAST a first round pick and expiring contract from a weak team. Its a no brainer for bulls to match a 5-6mill per year. we have no shot at crawford unless we trade for him. Remember the whole thing when golden state wouldnt let danny fortsan walk and they matched the offer and made him sit on the bench for 2 years. And about odom, he totally got fed up with the organization and requested them not to match. And that was for a whole lot more than the mid exception
Bonn1997
USA
6/26/2004  6:34 PM
Posted by RonRon:

briggs is right, the bulls can just match the offer and trade him a couple months later for ATLEAST a first round pick and expiring contract from a weak team. Its a no brainer for bulls to match a 5-6mill per year. we have no shot at crawford unless we trade for him. Remember the whole thing when golden state wouldnt let danny fortsan walk and they matched the offer and made him sit on the bench for 2 years. And about odom, he totally got fed up with the organization and requested them not to match. And that was for a whole lot more than the mid exception
GMs don't like to commit themselves to big, long-term contracts on players they don't want. That's why the Clips didn't match Odom's offer (even though they bluffed and said they would)

Also, if the Bulls dotch the MLE offer, you're right they can trade him in December, but it would mean taking on a player making around $5.5 mil, which they might prefer not to do.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/26/2004 18:36:05]
RonRon
6/26/2004  9:44 PM
the difference is the knicks can only offer the midlevel exception. Odom was offered about an avg of 10mill a year, double the exception. Also, odom only performed his first year, then got injured EVERY year after. The clippers questioned if he was worth the money. Now I know we are all knick fans but u see the potential in Crawford and hes definatly worth atleast the midlevel exception. Bottom line is that the bulls will match because they atleast want compensation, even if crawford isnt part of their future plans or not
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/27/2004  12:57 AM
What if the Bulls trade Crawford now? You're telling me they wouldn't want a deal: Crawford and Jerome Williams for Kurt Thomas and Othella Harrington. They get rid of their longest contract, bring in a good PF and a guy with an expiring contract, both of whom are hardworkers and could smack Curry and Chandler around in practice.

The Bulls aren't idiots, they aren't going to sign Crawford to a 6 year deal when in 2 years he's going to be a backup at $5 mil per. With this deal they get two vets who are similar to what Scott Skiles wants and get to deal Crawford, they won't get a better deal in December where teams are willing to take on a huge contract like Williams. They can sign Stephen Jackson and have him at 2/3, Deng at 3, Gordon at 1/2, Hinrich and Duhon at 1, and the have a young core of players at those positions. They still have Dupree and Johnson for depth reasons at those positions and very cheap. With their cap situation now (they have to re-sign Curry and Chandler next year), that's their best bet.

Same thing with Washington, they're going to sign Etan Thomas at 6 years and $37 million, then have to re-sign Jared Jeffries and Juan Dixon next year and possibly re-sign Kwame Brown? All this for a guy who's going to play the same position as a player you just traded for and have money committed to over the next 4 years in Jamison?

It's okay to be pecimmistic, but let's not be unrealistic. If Chicago is offered KT and an expiring contract for a re-signed Crawford and JYD, they do that. If Washington is faced with matching Etan Thomas at 6 years, $37 million, they won't. They haven't made the playoffs in years and need to start re-signing their younger players, they're going to match that big of an offer? I don't think so.

#Knickstaps
RonRon
6/27/2004  4:14 AM
calm down bro, what i said was that the chances of the bulls letting crawford go for the midlevel exception is about as great as kobe coming to New York. Even if crawford has no future with the bulls, the knicks would be helping the bulls gain a great contract with jamal crawford locked up for 6 years at midlevel pay. Paxson would be able to keep crawford and trade back for a good value.

However,You bring good points. If we are willing to take junkyard and crawford for expiring players it sounds quite reasonable for paxson to make, although he will try to maxamize whatever value he think he can get out of crawford.

Bonn1997
USA
6/27/2004  9:47 AM
Those are good points Bigsmooth. That's why I'm optimistic that Crawford and a good PF/C (maybe Etan) can be added to the roster.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/27/2004  11:18 AM
If I had to pick one, right now, I pick Etan....we still have Houston and we are getting alot of guys that can play that 2 or the 3 spot (Trev, Herve, Dermarr and Dawkins all can play the 2, if they make the team IMHO....) Also I don't like the fact the Crawford has no physique and he is mainly a jump shooter....I'd prefer someone who slashes a little more...
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  9:59 AM
KT, Harrington & Deke for Crawford & JYD might work.

C - MLE / Nazr
PF - Sweetney / JYD
SF - Thomas / Penny / DerMarr or Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford
PG - Marbury / Frank / Moochie
IR - Shandon / Trybanski / Lamizana?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/28/2004  10:01 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

there is no way that we will get either player. no way crawford walks unless someone offers him ungodly sums of $$$ and Etan Thomas the same. i really do think we have a chance right now at erick dampier--i think our chances went up considerably once he opted out. i would put our chances up at 33% or so unless someone comes up with an enormous pot of gold. i dont think dampier will play in the west unless its for denver[who can pay him big and has a winning team] and in the east its between IMHO the Knicks Heat Pacers possibly the Pistons Boston or Washington.

you think the Knicks have a legitimate shot at signing Dampier, who just opted out of a 2 year at $16 million dollars, for the MLE, but don't think they have a shot at signing Etan Thomas?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Crawford or Thomas?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy