[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

i subtracted Ariza's 3pt shooting from his 2pt shooting %
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/25/2004  10:36 PM
and he was a 53% shooter from the field.

IMHO, what the Knicks need to do with him is
A. Instantly get him on a strength and conditioning program with nutrition to move his weight into NBA range of 6-8 215 or so.

B. Make sure he works with a Knicks shooting coach on fundamnetals and reps ASAP

C. If he shows true bonafides, if he shows willingness to work and shows real signs in the summer leagues sign him to a two year deal with an option for year 3 so we maintain Bird rights. To many cases of teams making brutal mistakes by not signing a guy to a contract where at th minimum you can keep him at your discretion.

To make this team, IMHO he has to show that hes willing to work hard and he has to show skill right away in the SL's or else Im not willing to sit on him. He's not a ready player--thats OK if he shows hard work habits -but with a player taking off after just his frshmen year-that could be problematic????
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/25/2004  11:02 PM
From the article Andrew linked on the other thread:

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2234061,00.html

"...But the good thing about Trevor going to New York is we knew that they were excited about Trevor and willing to guarantee him something for three years by trying to take him in the first round."

In view of that, one would think that if Ariza shows something in the SL, that the Knicks may well consider giving him a multi-year contract.

btw, Nice observation re: his shooting percentage.
turtle33
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #537
Canada
6/25/2004  11:24 PM
B. Make sure he works with a Knicks shooting coach on fundamnetals and reps ASAP

never mind the shooting coach, make houston earn some of his money and teach this kid how to shoot.
tkf
Member: #87
6/26/2004  12:11 AM
what impresses me is this kids defense and his length as well as his athleticism, I like young players who can defend, if anything he will never be a liability on the floor...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
USA
6/26/2004  1:55 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17629.htm

Meanwhile, the newest Knick, the 6-7, 195-pound Ariza, doesn't lack for confidence. Yesterday he told The Post from his Inglewood, Calif., home: "All I needed was the opportunity to get in. I'll take care of the rest. I know I was good enough to be in the first round. It don't matter where you go. It matters what you do once you're there."

UCLA coach Ben Howland said Ariza needs to increase his "strength" and wished he had stayed in Westwood. "I thought if he came back for one more year, he would've been a first-round pick with a three-year guarantee instead of the 43rd pick," Howland said.

Ariza, who shot 23 percent from the college 3-point stripe, is reminiscent of a poor man's Tayshaun Prince, with his wingspan.

"I could see if the Knicks are looking to run, he'd really fit in," said George David, director of scouting for the Pistons. "Running the floor is his strength."

RonRon
Member: #246
6/26/2004  2:37 AM
so let me get this straight, we can avoid a gilbert arenas and sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal if we want now?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/26/2004  2:39 AM
oh no!!!!!!!!!!

Lavar is back!
Rich
USA
6/26/2004  3:53 AM
Posted by RonRon:

so let me get this straight, we can avoid a gilbert arenas and sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal if we want now?

Yes, the Knicks did that with Lampe.
RonRon
Member: #246
6/26/2004  4:22 AM
nice point briggs but 53% is at college where the 3pt line is quite close, cant really compare stats like dat, just look at jay williams. He was awesome in college but playing in another level at nba, he never showed he can be a dominant player like he ever was in college. But I like the direction this pick is heading. I always thought defense was needed on our team. It seems everyone is Hot on Dampier, Sheed, and Kobe. We probably have about 1% to sign either one of em.
I think we need great help in the center position, and a shot blocking PF would be nice.

Adoyle Foyle
Chris Anderson
Keon Clark

are some of the player we should be looking at with a realistic chance of signing
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/26/2004  8:12 AM
Trevor has Shandons role....period.

[Edited by - enyspree on 06/26/2004 08:12:18]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/26/2004  9:18 AM
Posted by RonRon:

nice point briggs but 53% is at college where the 3pt line is quite close, cant really compare stats like dat, just look at jay williams. He was awesome in college but playing in another level at nba, he never showed he can be a dominant player like he ever was in college. But I like the direction this pick is heading. I always thought defense was needed on our team. It seems everyone is Hot on Dampier, Sheed, and Kobe. We probably have about 1% to sign either one of em.
I think we need great help in the center position, and a shot blocking PF would be nice.

Adoyle Foyle
Chris Anderson
Keon Clark

are some of the player we should be looking at with a realistic chance of signing
I'd rather get Etan Thomas than those players you listed.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/26/2004  10:41 AM
well it just shows what part of his game he needs to work on, and what he can be successful at right now. A lot of times gaining strength is important for some people to improve their outside shooting, especially in the trunk area. But if he makes the team and get some minutes, his best bet is likely taking the ball inside or on the break until he dramatically improves the poor shooting from the outside. It looks like they need to start with him shooting 500 FT a day and getting the fundamanetal shot down. All Uconn players have to shoot 500 a day during practice 250 before practice 250 after. Thats why you have seen some really good shooters hamilton ray allen ben gordon khalid amin etc... even okafor who still hasnt shot them well, has a nice fundamental shot which improved his baseline jumper.
RIP Crushalot😞
i subtracted Ariza's 3pt shooting from his 2pt shooting %

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy