[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah did well giving the circumstances...
Author Thread
JayNYC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #682
USA
6/25/2004  8:26 AM
Knowing that the draft wasn't as deep... And that there was a significant drop off in talent from those players outside the lottery; trading the #1 for Steph didn't hurt us.

In fact, I think Isiah's selection of Trevor Ariza @ #43 was still a pretty promising pick. He's 19, and although was a second round pick.. is arguably the top defensive wingman in the Pac 10. Aside from being an above average defender.. He handles the ball extremely well for a kid his size. Can get up with the best of him.. mad hops, and has a high basketball IQ. Contrary to belief.. he can shoot the ball, although he isn't consistant. In fact I think he could have just as easily went in the low 1st rd.. if teams were not scared off by his asthma related medical history. Its my opinion, he and Dorell Wright are neck and neck in terms of potential.. and I believe he was taken at #19 to Miami.

Another positive, was Isiah's signing of Andre Barrett. For real, I don't know how he went undrafted>>> Its crazy, The kid can ball for real! Teams quote unquote draft experts get so caught up in size, that they'll sacrifice talent for height. Look at the downward spiral of Jameer Nelson, case in point!
Andre Barrett is a BX native... can shoot, and is a excellent uptempo player. He passes the ball well and is a true playmaking point guard in every sense of the game. I have no doubt that he'll stick with the Knicks come next season, and should benefit from playing under Isiah, Lenny and even Steph!

Moreover, I think his arrival will spell the departure of either Moochie Norris or Frank Williams soon. Look for that to go down!
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/25/2004  9:18 AM
I agree he did pretty well. Ariza is a gamble on greatness kind of pick. There is a world of upside there. I don't think he's as good as Dorell Wright. Ariza may never be a great shooter. But he can be a guy who can D it up and handle and play a significant role down the line. He's definitely like taking a HS kid.

I agree with you on Barrett. I didnt want to draft him at 43, but getting him as an undrafted FA is good deal. He's tiny, but he's tough and can definitely play. If he plays with the same kind of heart and effort there may be a spot for him somewhere in the NBA. At this point I'd rather have him at 3rd PG than Moochie.

The next thing Isiah should do is sign Herve Lamizana to the summer league team, unless some other team already has...
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/25/2004  9:41 AM
if Isiah can sign Lamizana i'll be perfectly fine w/the Ariza pick...i wanted a frontcourt player 1st & foremost, so as long as we pull out of this offseason getting one, i'll be happy.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
USA
6/25/2004  9:45 AM
TMS, I think the reason Herve went undrafted was because he measured out at only 6'9 215. He can block shots and can really jump, but everyone thought he was 6'11. I still think he can play, and an athlete like that shouldn't have went undrafted. I've seen him play for 3 years now and I'm sure he can play and get better on this level.
TMS
USA
6/25/2004  9:59 AM
well, in that article i quoted on the other thread, they say Isiah was calling other local guys who didn't get drafted to gauge their interest in joining the Knicks' summer league team...maybe 1 of them was our guy? i hope so...i think he can really help this team w/his shotblocking & athleticism off the bench.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/25/2004  9:59 AM
Trevor Ariza is fine with me cuz if the guy sucks and can't make the team no skin off our backs cuz second round picks don't get guranteed money.

6'8".....7' wing span? With Shandon Anderson on the team he should make the squad. I'd love to see him. Guys like Sprewell were drafted in the second round.

I'm a little bored with the off season. I wanna see blood.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
6/25/2004  10:02 AM
Sprewell was a 1st round pick btw...he was taken 24th by Golden State
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/25/2004  10:28 AM
it's funny, nobody on these boards ever mentioned ariza yet we're all defending him and talking about his potential like those fools on espn about every euro-guy out there.

isiah didn't even interview the guy. what this tells me is that isiah didn't like anybody he brought in and he doesn't really value this pick so he just picked up the best guy he read about. i think he was intrigued by his age and length. he may not make the team, very low risk and the definition of a 2nd round pick so isiah didn't and couldn't have botched it.
VDesai
USA
6/25/2004  10:37 AM
I personally wasn't all that interested in him before the draft because I thought he was really, really raw, wasn't a great shooter and was more of a true SF than a swing. Since Zeke has said that he didnt expect him to be there where we picked, and that he thinks Ariza can make the roster I'm a little more excited because I trust his talent evaluation. There are plenty of things about Ariza to like, and hey, with a 2nd round pick why not take the high upside guy if you're not in love with the guys who might be more ready.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/25/2004  9:57 PM
the kid almost avgd a triple-double in high school. 20pts 14rebs 9asst 3blks and 3stls. how about we all look at other players freshman years in college and rate him that way. then take into consideration a collapsed lung at the start of the season.
good pick, even if he does'nt make our roster. you gotta like zeke's eye for talent. even though he might've had some help from kareem this year.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/25/2004  11:07 PM
This may have also caused Lamizana to slide out of the draft:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/06/10/monter.rumors4/

Herve Lamizana of Rutgers became the camp's second fallen player when he suffered a sprained left ankle in the opening minutes of Tuesday's night's workout. He will not able to participate in remainder of the camp. Lamizana bypassed the Portsmouth Invitational and was hoping a good showing would raise his stock. He is a long, athletic, big man but is still very raw and needs to add bulk to his 210-pound frame.
___

It would be kind of ironic if the Knicks sign him to the SL team, in that he probably expected he would play with Barrett at Seton Hall for four years.

[Edited by - Rich on 06/25/2004 23:08:24]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/26/2004  4:12 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/108823505220380.xml

Rutgers forward Herve Lamizana also was invited to the Knicks camp, but he told the team he wanted more time to think it over. Lamizana has not returned several messages over two days since going undrafted.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/26/2004  8:19 AM
Posted by TMS:

Sprewell was a 1st round pick btw...he was taken 24th by Golden State

oops.....

well, van exel and voshon were second rounders I'm sure of it.

can't believe I screwed that up. the guy is one of my all time favorite players.....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/26/2004  10:58 AM
It's good to see Isiah going out and trying to get local guys to play for the summer league team. Who knows, maybe this guy from Rutgers is a better player than Ariza. Good to see he's active.
#Knickstaps
VDesai
USA
6/26/2004  1:17 PM
Posted by Rich:

Rutgers forward Herve Lamizana also was invited to the Knicks camp, but he told the team he wanted more time to think it over. Lamizana has not returned several messages over two days since going undrafted.

He's probably devastated. He's a real quiet guy. I'm pretty sure there is an issue where he has family in Africa and he needs the money for them to come over. It sucks that he got hurt in the camp.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/26/2004  2:45 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by Rich:

Actually, if he didn't get hurt, the Knicks would have had no chance of getting both Ariza and Lamizana.
How serious is the ankle injury??? I'm surprised it caused teams to pass on him, unless the injury is so serious that they think he won't fully recover.

He's probably devastated. He's a real quiet guy. I'm pretty sure there is an issue where he has family in Africa and he needs the money for them to come over. It sucks that he got hurt in the camp.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/27/2004  11:33 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

it's funny, nobody on these boards ever mentioned ariza yet we're all defending him and talking about his potential like those fools on espn about every euro-guy out there.

isiah didn't even interview the guy. what this tells me is that isiah didn't like anybody he brought in and he doesn't really value this pick so he just picked up the best guy he read about. i think he was intrigued by his age and length. he may not make the team, very low risk and the definition of a 2nd round pick so isiah didn't and couldn't have botched it.

I personally didn't even hear of this kid until he was drafted.....I did research and ESPN had him ranked the 7 or 8 SF in the draft....but every source says if he went to colleve, he may have been a lottery pick in a year or two...this is the outside the box thinking Zeke is doing....
~You can't run from who you are.~
Isiah did well giving the circumstances...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy