[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trevor Ariza
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/24/2004  11:20 PM
From what I hear this kid is very young, athletic and has a ton of upside, was a McDonalds all American, and plays great defense.. here is the link

http://www.draftcity.com/trevorariza.htm
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
subzero0
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #410
6/24/2004  11:29 PM
I thought he was a PF. He's listed on that draftcity site as a sg/sf. Whats going on here, another sf would suck , a sg would be great if Houston is still gimpy and clog up that 2 spot if he's healthy. But at 6-8 i dont know if he's goin to be able to play the two. Maybe this indicates a trade is coming soon to ship either someone else out to make room for this guy, or ship this ariza guy out in some sort of package.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/24/2004  11:30 PM
From ESPN:

Notes: A former McDonald's All-American. Ariza withdrew from classes at UCLA and informed the NBA that he would be available for the June draft. He has since hired an agent and is now in the draft for sure.

Upside: Has good, but not great, athleticism and quickness for his size. He's got excellent court vision who has the potential to be a point forward in the pros. He's more comfortable in transition or playing on the baseline. Is very long with a great wing span. His jumper extends out to about 18 feet. His defense is still ahead of his offense at this point.

Downside: Strength and his overall perimeter game. Ariza, like many kids his age needs another 20 pounds of muscle to play in the NBA. His three point shot is very suspect.

Insider Projection: Scouts think he's a big time talent, but think he's making a major mistake coming out this year. He hasn't done enough at UCLA to prove that he's worthy of high pick. So far he's been unimpressive in workouts and did just so-so in Chicago. A likely second round pick at this point.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
6/24/2004  11:39 PM
From NBA.com
http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/TrevorAriza.html
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

6/25/2004  12:12 AM
according to the scouts... he sounds similar to Tayshon Prince... im not mad at the pic, we need perimiter D
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/25/2004  12:26 AM
yeah I was think Tayshaun too. But he can play SG I think at 6'8'' 195 lbs. I like the pick. This was the first draft I missed in the past 8 years because I was at work. We could've had one of the high schoolers like Josh Smith or JR Smith if we still had our 16th pick but well coulda woulda should've
Rich
Member: #511
USA
6/25/2004  12:34 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7447281

43. New York: Trevor Ariza, SF, UCLA

Ariza left UCLA prematurely -- honestly, before learning how to play. He's a fabulous athlete who excels in transition but can't shoot. Someone gave him bad advice.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/players/draft/495906

SportsLine's Analysis

NBA comparison: Ansu Sesay. Ariza came out a few years early, jumping the gun and probably costing himself significant money in the process. He's got some skills, but his jumper is nowhere near pro material and he's still excessively raw. Some team may see enough of him to acquire his rights in round two. Scouting Report

DOB: June 30, 1985. Entering the draft after just one season with the Bruins. Suffered a collapsed lung in late November, and didn't play his first game until Dec. 13, but still made the Pac-10's all-freshman team. Started 23 of 25 games and was the Bruins' No. 3 scorer with 11.6 points per game, and No. 2 rebounder at 6.5 per contest. Led UCLA in steals, averaging 1.68, and shot 42.6 percent - 23.7 percent from 3-point range. In 2002-03, averaged 21.0 points, 14.0 rebounds, 9.0 assists, 3.0 blocked shots and 3.0 steals in leading Westchester HS (Calif.) to the Division I state title, a 32-3 overall record and a No. 5 USA Today national ranking. His father played college basketball at Florida in the late 1980s. Is expected to be a middle to late second-round selection. - AP
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
6/25/2004  1:16 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2004/draft/players/16667.html

TREVOR ARIZA
Position: SF
Class: Fr
School: UCLA
Conference: Pac-10
Ht., Wt.: 6'8, 200

Selected by New York Knicks
Round 2, pick 14 (43 overall)
BIO: Ariza is an early-entry candidate who entered the draft after just one season at UCLA. Ariza averaged 11.6 points and 6.5 rebounds for the Bruins, who struggled as a team. Ariza has virtually no outside game, but knows how to use his athletic frame to his advantage on the interior. The Miami-born Ariza played his high school ball in Los Angeles and had a notable game as a senior in which he guard LeBron James and had little success. Ariza is a developing talent whose game may have retarded in college and could flourish with proper tutelage in the NBA.

ANALYSIS: Ariza is an excellent athlete who was a College Basketball News’ first team All-Freshman. He is a good ballhandler for his size but needs to improve his outside shot. Ariza is a bit of a “tweener” in that he lacks the bulk of a power forward and does not have the outside game of a small forward. He put his name into the draft and signed with an agent, ending his college eligibility. Ariza had just a middling showing at the Chicago pre-draft camp and is a likely second-round selection.

POSITIVES: Ariza has the lankiness clubs crave at small forward. He stands 6-8, has a long wingspan and a physical build manufactured for athleticism. Scouts believe he can be a defensive stopper with his combination of length and mobility. Ariza is a great ball thief who can key the transition game. He thrives offensively in up-tempo settings and should develop into a solid rebounder.

NEGATIVES: In the half-court game, Ariza will have trouble putting points on the board. His shooting skills leave a lot to be desired and he lacks NBA-caliber strength. Ariza likely will have to pay his dues in the minor leagues or Europe before he can stick. If he is persistent in chasing his dream, he will prevail. If such a journey causes him to lose confidence, he will be yet another phenom who made the jump too soon.

PROJECTION: Reserve
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/25/2004  2:01 AM
So basically, he's running right along side DerMarr right now, except DerMarr has a better J.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/25/2004  2:23 AM
I think DerMarr and this guy are two different animals; Ariza being a guy who will specialize in defense and ballhandling and I'm not too sure what DerMarr specializes in?

I wonder if he'll be brought back. If this guy turns out to be anywhere near as good as Prince I'll be satisfied.
#Knickstaps
Rich
USA
6/25/2004  2:41 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17618.htm

SECOND CHOICE: KNICKS TAB UCLA'S ARIZA

By MARC BERMAN

June 25, 2004 -- More than three hours into the draft, with three-quarters of the crowd at the Garden's Theatre departed and the lottery picks gone from the VIP area, it was finally Isiah Thomas' and the Knicks' turn.

Laying in the background for a change, Thomas, in his draft debut as Knicks president, selected, with the 43rd pick, Trevor Ariza, a 6-7, 194-pound freshman small forward from UCLA who turns 19 later this month. Ariza, out of L.A., averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds for a horrendous Bruins team.

The Knicks needed perimeter shooters and Ariza shot less than 30 percent from 3-point land. But Thomas, who likes his wingspan and defense, thinks Ariza can make the team. He'll get a chance near his hometown when the Knicks play their summer league at Long Beach, Calif.

"We liked his athleticism," said Thomas, who did not work out Ariza because the player's agent thought he'd be going in the first round. "He's got a potential for a big upside. He could possibly play three positions. I think he has a chance to make the team. . . . We didn't think we'd get a player such as him at 43."

Thomas didn't talk to the media until midnight, because he was busy signing Seton Hall point guard Andre Barrett to the summer-league team.

Thomas was content to remain out of the first round after making the Jan. 5 blockbuster trade for Stephon Marbury that sent four futures — this year's first-round pick, a 2006 protected first-rounder, Serbian point guard Milos Vujanic and 6-11 Maciej Lampe of Poland — to Phoenix.

Thomas will make his mark during the free-agency period that begins July 1, though he's continuing to downplay his chase of the two biggest fish: Kobe Bryant and Rasheed Wallace.

"We'll be actively trying to improve our team," Isiah said. "Whether it be through trade or free agency. That's the time we'll be most active. I don't think it will be a lot of the bigger names in the market, but there are pieces floating around that we can acquire; they will make our team better."

With the Bulls taking UConn guard Ben Gordon last night with the third pick, the chances of Chicago letting restricted free agent combo guard Jamal Crawford go are stronger. He could be had for the $5 million exception. But Thomas said, the Bulls "still say they intend to keep" Crawford.

Ariza has chronic asthma, but Thomas said he's not worried since Dennis Rodman played with the same condition.

When Utah made its selection last night at 16, another piece of what the Knicks could have had was revealed — UNLV junior shooting guard Kirk Snyder. Utah gained the Knicks' 16th pick from Phoenix. The Knicks would have been in position to draft 7-4 Russian center Pavel Podzokline.

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/25/2004  3:00 AM
Posted by Mac:

POSITIVES: Scouts believe he can be a defensive stopper with his combination of length and mobility. Ariza is a great ball thief who can key the transition game. He thrives offensively in up-tempo settings and should develop into a solid rebounder.

That's no so bad. we get what we miss. I don't always like how IT handles things, but I trust his eye to find hidden talent.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/25/2004  3:01 AM
I never heard of this guy.....

If Isiah though he was good then I'm happy he's a Knick. He seems like a guy that has alot of skills.

I'm still trade happy.....I wanna see some heads fly.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Rich
USA
6/25/2004  3:24 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1088147770105160.xml

Knicks take UCLA forward
Undrafted Hall star Barrett invited to summer camp

Friday, June 25, 2004

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- If you were wondering how detached the Knicks might be from this draft, this should clarify it: They actually chose a player they never interviewed or worked out.

For now, Trevor Ariza is little more than a GM's cliché.

"We like his athleticism, there's potential for big upside," Isiah Thomas said of the 18-year-old UCLA forward, whom the Knicks selected with the 43rd pick in the NBA draft last night. "I think he'll get bigger. He can handle the basketball, he can play possibly three positions for us."

What those positions are remain to be seen, because at Ariza's size -- he's 6-8, 194 pounds -- you'd expect him to be a wing shooter. Small problem: He shot 42 percent in his only year at UCLA, and 23 percent from 3-point range.

"When you're drafting at 43, you can't always get what you're looking for in terms of putting it in the basket," Thomas said. "Again, we think he has the ability to defend and grow in our game. He's 6-8, with a 7-foot wing span. He has the potential to become a pretty good defender. And also he's a ball mover, a ball distributor."

About 75 minutes later, Thomas met the press and had perhaps more interesting news: He made phone contact with undrafted Seton Hall point guard Andre Barrett, who tentatively agreed to come to Knicks summer camp.

The Knicks, who had traded away their first-round pick for Stephon Marbury back in January, made their only pick at around 10:56 last night, after three quarters of the crowd at The Theatre at Madison Square Garden had already gone home. Some diehards stuck around to cheer the selection of Ariza, who most probably had never heard of.

As for Barrett, Thomas said, "He will probably come to training camp, and we were trying to call other players locally, to see if they are interested."

The Knicks don't really need another point guard, unless Frank Williams is used as trade bait. Then again, they don't need a teenage small forward, either. But Thomas claimed that Ariza has a chance at making the team.

"He does," he said. "We have to be really lucky, but I didn't think we'd get a player such as him at 43. He's a young player, and with his size and length he can do some things for us. Then he can continue to grow into his body and his game."

The fact that Ariza suffers from asthma didn't dissuade the Knicks from taking him, either.

"There are a lot of athletes that played with asthma," Thomas said. "When we were in Detroit, I remembering we drafted an athlete who played with asthma named Dennis Rodman, who had a pretty good career."

Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/25/2004  7:57 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

yeah I was think Tayshaun too. But he can play SG I think at 6'8'' 195 lbs. I like the pick. This was the first draft I missed in the past 8 years because I was at work. We could've had one of the high schoolers like Josh Smith or JR Smith if we still had our 16th pick but well coulda woulda should've
He is a better SG than allan houston is right now.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/25/2004  9:12 AM
Ariza has potential. He definitely needed more time because he's as raw as sushi. He could never develop or he might eventually be a cheaper, better ballhandling version of Shandon Anderson, or who knows, maybe even better. He's gotta work on shooting consistency and shot selection. It's a good 2nd round pick. If he makes the team than we know he's already improving.

I sorta wished we got Tim Pickett or Herve Lamizana (who I can't believe wasnt drafted).
Andrew
USA
6/25/2004  9:31 AM
Chad Fords Grade on the Pick:

Ariza is a very nice second-round pick. Many scouts feel he would've been a lottery pick in two years. This is the type of kid you have to find in the second round.

Grade: A-
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/25/2004  9:41 AM
Andrew, Chad Ford mentioned Ariza yesterday on his chat as a second round sleeper. I agree with him on the fact that Ariza had a chance to be a lottery pick with continued improvement. It was not a good idea for him to enter the draft after an inconsistent, so-so freshman year. He's the kind of guy that you watch, and wonder when its gonna be when he gets it because he has some obvious talent. He's got a long way to go, but Zeke thinks he has a chance to stick and I trust his evaluation...

[Edited by - Vdesai on 06/25/2004 09:43:01]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/25/2004  9:57 AM
As for Barrett, Thomas said, "He will probably come to training camp, and we were trying to call other players locally, to see if they are interested."

i hope 1 of those players he was calling was Lamizana.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Member: #87
6/25/2004  10:09 AM
when they played Arizona Ariza was guarding that Igudola cat or however you spell his name and Ariza held him to 2/11 shooting, the kid I heard can play defense well and is good at anticipating the passing lanes, a guy who post on another site works near UCLA and have seen him play live. This kid has loads of upside and the thing is that he can already defend, this is the same thing I like about frankie..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Trevor Ariza

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy