[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Read between the lines
Author Thread
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/24/2004  2:54 PM
When Zeke came here, all my friends said he's a snake in the grass, he's only out for himself yadda yadda yadda all this crap. at least i thought it was crap. it now becomes clear he's clearing house on a major level. he moved out layden's picks. he moved out layden's coach. while moving chaney was a necessary change for change sake, he replaced him with an equally barely competent coach, while bringing in "his boy" mark aguire, grooming him to take over when the team becomes competitive in a few years. it became clear we'd never ever have a high profile riley, jackson, nelson type coach while zeke was here, becuase he has to be the star. that's fine. plenty of good workhorse coaches who don't demand the spotlight. But now within a week now the knicks getting rid of marv and willis reed...you gotta read between the lines. You gotta see Zeke's hand in here somwhere. He doesn't want anyone from the old regime in here whether they're competent or not. While I still trust his vision and talent, his ego is beginning to concern me. I'm still behind him, but I'm starting to get nervous. Its just like George Bush and Condie Rice moving Richard Clark out of the loop all the while he was screaming about Al Queda and they were all concerned about Cuba and China. And before you all jump on me by saying that its all dolan, you have to understand that there's absolutely no correlation between whats reported in the papers and what really happens behind the scenes. You must use your own deduction and analysis to read between the lines and get to the truth... (yeah right, George Tenet really resigned to spend more time with his family, yeah right, when Cheney steps down in August in favor of Giuliani they will say its health and not polls. One can go on and on, but realize the news is just a jumping off point for the real truth...and the truth is Isiah's ego has more to do with the knicks changes than anyone wants to admit...now if those changes result in us winning a championship, great, but if they're just changes for change sake...well its been 31 years, get ready to wait another 31...
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/24/2004  3:06 PM
Zeke probably does have a big ego but I can't agree with some of your reasoning.
he moved out layden's picks.

Yeah...2 of his 2nd round picks, but he also kept 2 of his picks.
it became clear we'd never ever have a high profile riley, jackson, nelson type coach while zeke was here, becuase he has to be the star.

Lenny is a high profile Hall of Fame coach from NYC.
Getting rid of marv and willis reed...

Willis wants to leave, and do yo really think before the draft Zeke is making decisions on who is announcing Knick games? How come he added Kareem?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Chico
6/24/2004  3:11 PM
The newspapers are saying Willis wants to leave. That doesn't make it so. You have to look at the bigger picture. Maybe its true maybe its not. We'll never know...though I'll give you that that was the weakest argument in my post. The weakest argument in yours though is Lenny Wilkens. Come on, its crystal clear the game has passed him by completely. No one, not even Lenny thinks he's gonna even be here at the end of the season...he's still living out of suitcases. He's an empty name. Even he was totally shocked anyone would pull hm out of retirement. He's said he never expected to be back. He's a stopgap until the team can be competitive and Zeke puts Aguire or some other figurehead in there. Lenny was a name to bring casual fans back to the garden which was hemmoraging.
Chico
6/24/2004  3:13 PM
I absolutely think Zeke has a hand in who's announcing games. He even said he goes home and watches every game on MSG rewind. Why? because he knows perception is important and he wants to know how we're being presented and perceived on a nightly basis. Come on, first thing he did was institute uniforms for coaches during practice. I'm not saying that's bad, but if you think this guy isn't a micro managing steinbrenner type (again not necessarily an all bad thing), you're totally wrong.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/24/2004  3:18 PM
He is fixing what Layden did, and to do that you have to clean house. Showing up to practice in shorts and sandels is rediculous. Keeping a Euro on the radar who clearly doesnt want to play in NY is retarded. Don Chaney sucked too. Whats your point? Of course he has his own agenda, thats why he was hired - to take the team in a different direction then the one Layden had it going.

I dont understand the point of your argument - to make us all aware that Isiah is actually doing some work instead of sitting there and doing nothing?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/24/2004  3:20 PM
I never said Lenny was a good coach....just a high profile one.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Chico
6/24/2004  3:21 PM
no the point is more the motive. Is Isiah doing things that promote Isiah? or is he doing things to promote the knicks? much of the time, you can do both at the same time, but given the choice, does he pick isiah over the knicks?
OasisBU
USA
6/24/2004  3:25 PM
We'll see if he can fix the roster and get Phil Jackson here, that should be the goal - and it is very possible. If he takes the team in a different direction then it is about Zeke. Jackson would be key in terms of success...however I dont see him showing up unless the Knicks have a much improved roster.
Chico
6/24/2004  3:30 PM
Ahhh but that's exactly my point. What if we can never get Phil Jackson, not because he doesn't want to, not because of money, but because Zeke doesn't want to share the spotlight. An article within the last week said just that, that Zeke and Phil couldn't coexist. If Phil Jackson is the right move for this team, which he very well might be, and Zeke doesn't get him for personal reasons, than he is putting zeke above the knicks that's what i'm saying.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
6/24/2004  3:31 PM
Phil Jackon is a horrible coach. He is a joak. The one time he had the chance to caoch, he got schooled by Larry Brown. The only way Jackson comes here if we somehow have the best player in the game, or maybe the best 2 players in the game. Then this clown will comm knocking on the door.

As for all of the Iseah crap, you gusy are just nuts. Dolan is behind this 100% just like Dolan had Spree shipped out. Dolan is the reason for all evil that happens to the Knicks. The best thign to happen to the Knicks would not be to get Shaq, it woudl be to be sold to a human bing rather then a son of cable vision, no talent, no brain, looser, pathetic moron, Dolan.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
OasisBU
USA
6/24/2004  3:35 PM
Posted by simrud:

Phil Jackon is a horrible coach. He is a joak. The one time he had the chance to caoch, he got schooled by Larry Brown. The only way Jackson comes here if we somehow have the best player in the game, or maybe the best 2 players in the game. Then this clown will comm knocking on the door.

As for all of the Iseah crap, you gusy are just nuts. Dolan is behind this 100% just like Dolan had Spree shipped out. Dolan is the reason for all evil that happens to the Knicks. The best thign to happen to the Knicks would not be to get Shaq, it woudl be to be sold to a human bing rather then a son of cable vision, no talent, no brain, looser, pathetic moron, Dolan.

I agree with you 100% on Dolan, but I disagree with you on Jackson. I think he would be a great PR boost for NY and his coaching is good enough to win 9 rings....even with great players that is still a lot of gold on the fingers. I do agree he wouldnt come here unless we had some of the best players in the game though - and as long as Thomas is GM I dont see him moving to pull in a high profile coach that could eclipse his own star - he did mention he was interested in getting Pat Riley back however showtime sat down with the lakers to discuss that vacancy and never sat down with NY.
Chico
6/24/2004  3:56 PM
I agree with both of you. clearly, dolan is a major villain of epic proportions, no doubt (and i can't believe i'm saying this) way worse for the knicks than scott layden. the zeke thing was more something that has been discussed alot between me and other basketball fans, some of whom are knicks fans and some aren't. the zeke ego thing, being in it for zeke not the knicks has been a major theme since he got here. i have always been in a position defending zeke, but i wanted to throw it on the boards to see what people thought. i've never agreed with other criticisms i've seen of zeke on the board, so i thought this topic was ripe for discussion among knicks fans.

as for jackson, he's certainly not a "joak", however his shocking lack of adjustments and just plain not showing up in the finals was pretty outrageous. most of the games weren't even competitive and the only reason the lakes weren't swept was because of kobe's hail mary. he was outcoached in the finals similarly to the way i would be outplayed by marbury in a one on one.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/24/2004  4:01 PM
this is silly. Anytime a high profile executive comes in to a disasterous situation there is always a huge house cleaning. Thats what you are seeing, and that what most would expect. The first thing anyone in Isiah's position is surround himself with his guys and people he trusts. Considering all the blame will lie on him I think this is understandable.

As for the egomaniac stuff I actually like that. Briggs called him a used car saleman, and thats very much what we need. We need to sell this to the fans, players, league, free agents... This is been a black hole for a long time. The reality will take some time to change, but the perception can change quickly, and thats not unimportant, as perception is key in getting good players to come here.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/24/2004  4:05 PM
it takes a great salesman to sell a broken down heap of junk like the Knicks were when Isiah came in...so far, he's done a great job of it...last year was the first time in years that the Knicks were being talked about on national broadcasts on a regular basis.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Chico
6/24/2004  4:17 PM
i'm not sure being talked about on a national level as a joke, which is still how we're perceived and how we're talked about, is better than not being talked about at all is better for the team or the fans. i could give a shot about dolan or his pocket book. they were able to justify raising the prices of tix, beer and hot dogs based on being talked about on a national level, that's for sure. so far dolan is the biggest benificiary, not the team or the fans. all we have is a potential we didn't have with layden or tapscott.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/24/2004  4:23 PM
come on, this season is the first time in years that the Knicks weren't being made fun of in the national media...they actually had some positive things to say about this team...you can't say that wasn't part of Isiah's influence here.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Chico
6/24/2004  4:28 PM
on that we'll have to agree to disagree, i haven't read anything i'd call positive about the knicks in the national media...just a higher profile of what's called "bashing" on the boards.
bernard
Member: #475
6/24/2004  5:03 PM
I'm more w/ Chico on this than most of this thread's posters. Do think Isiah is awfully full of himself and seems to be driven by self interest and ego more than commitment to team/teammates. He seems like he has to be "the man" more than most GM's, and that could cause him to pass on/clash with some good coaches down the line.

All that said, the only place this is likely to have an impact is with coaches. I like all his player personnel choices so far, and, as the cliche goes, it's a players' league. Plus, his salesmanship has already and will continue to help us, IMO.

Much as I root for Lenny, agree the game's passed him by. But there are plenty of good coaches who are happy to do the X's and O's and won't try to take credit for turning around the team. Look at Lawrence Frank, for example.

End of the day, best thing about Isiah is competitiveness and drive. He won't look good unless the Knicks look good and I trust hill bust his ass making it happen.
Chico
6/24/2004  5:15 PM
that's been my major argument defending isiah to b ball fans who just call him a snake in the grass (most of my offline bball friends)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/24/2004  5:26 PM
the cynical view is Dolan needed a boost and isiah was a nice high profile name.

Its about product recognition. The fact he is being argued proves the point.

Laydog gets too much blame, and Isiah too much praise.

Isiah just finished what Laydog started and gets the glory for bringing in Marbury. Isiah can lay good influence on the guards. Him being at practice and mentoring is the coach in him coming out.

Isiah did this week what most new CEO's do at times: Blame the guy before you for the current troubles. Its a fair technique and useful to move forward. Fans want it all, and this week a big trade or a cool draft pick.

PS: I hope they chant "fire Layden" tonite, it would be funny!

What is lost on alot of blame on Layden is that Checketts sold us down the river many times. Houstans max deal was orchestrated long before Laydog got the job, and its dolans call on that one!

Dolan is the bad egg.
Read between the lines

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy