[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2004 NBA Draft
Author Thread
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
6/24/2004  1:10 PM
Waited for this day for a long time, because the Knicks can maybe trade down...Who knows? I liked the idea of them getting the #12 spot and Jerome James for Kurt Thomas and #43 pick, but is that even realistic? I have Vescey is right, or hopefully the Knicks get lucky and make a good trade. Any thoughts of what might happen tonight?
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/24/2004  1:15 PM
i have a gut feeling KT will be traded for Stack, but that the deal will also include Frank Williams...i don't know why i feel that way, but i hope i'm wrong...KT & Trybanski for Stack or another package where the Knicks unload a bad contract is the deal i'm hoping for.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/24/2004  1:16 PM
yea... nothing for the Knicks. My guess is Isiah just didnt like the offers that were bouncing around and he's waiting for the post draft trades. Alot of team will select a player they didnt think would be available at that spot, or get screwed because they thought someone would be at a spot and wasnt, and get stuck drafting a player by ranking that they didnt really want.

After the draft you will see a lot of logjams and teams looking to complete rosters. I think if we are going to trade thats out best bet.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but I kind of have the feeling this is the Knicks for the next year. Isiah's plan will be to get Sweetney, DJ and Frank playing at a higher level, then go into next offseason with a cleaner roster, a full compliment of picks, and TT, Penny and Nazr entering their walk years.

I would much rather see this than make some suspect desperation move that will get us 3 more wins this year and kill (even more) of our future flexibility.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/24/2004  1:19 PM
My gut feeling is that J.R. Smith will be headed to NY....maybe as a result of a KT trade.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/24/2004  1:27 PM
Posted by Andrew:

My gut feeling is that J.R. Smith will be headed to NY....maybe as a result of a KT trade.

God I hope so...
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/24/2004  1:29 PM
yes he could be the next Deshawn Stevenson
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/24/2004  1:42 PM
I have no idea what's going to happen tonight. I'll make the assumption that we keep the 43rd pick. And who's gonna be our pick?

Taking into account who might be there and our needs, I have a real hunch our pick is going to be Tim Pickett of Florida St, a well built 6'4 SG. He was mentioned prominently in one of the papers today. He's a streak shooter, an energy player. He's solid on D and can get steals. The player he reminds me most of is John Starks. The best thing about him is that he really picked it up in big games. He had 33 vs. Georgia Tech and 30 vs. UNC in big wins. He also had 20+ point games vs. teams like Maryland, Florida, Duke, NC State and Wake Forrest.

I'd love to get Herve Lamizana but I'd be very happy with Pickett.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/24/2004  1:56 PM
I have a feeling none of the rumors come to life, and we end up doing besides drafting someone with the second round pick, but who knows?

I kinda like Stack, but if we trade KT for him, our frontcourt is that much weaker, and he wasn't even that wonderful himself. KT that is. I have my last day of Summer class tonight. When I get home, I guess I'll see what new player is on the Knicks, b/c there will at least be one. I have a feeling it wont be much though. Who knows though, right?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/24/2004  3:06 PM
what do you like about stack? the fact that he's always injured, the fact that he's considered a lockerroom cancer, the fact that he's overpaid, the fact that he doesn't play defense, or the fact that teammates say he's hard to play with. with so much to like i can't believe zeke won't jump at this deal...oh i'm sorry those are scott layden's preferences.
TMS
USA
6/24/2004  3:09 PM
i like the fact that he's a way better player than Kurt Thomas...& the fact that he's younger, & has 1 less year remaining on his contract...combine that with the fact that the Knicks need a quality backup SG or else they can be in deep trouble again next year if Allan Houston's knees start acting up again.

you can easily replace KT's using the MLE on a guy like Etan or Blount.

[Edited by - TMS on 06/24/2004 15:10:48]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MX25
Member: #555
USA
6/24/2004  3:17 PM
No way do i want Stackhouse here. Every team he goes to he destroys them. He's a cancer and ego maniac. STAY AWAY FROM HIM!
Chico
6/24/2004  3:18 PM
We have 2 out of 15 defensive players on this team: Kurt and Frank. Since half our rumors involve Frank, you can't trade Kurt for a guy who doesn't play defense. We would have the most porous frontcourt in the universe with Tim Thomas (soft), Nazr Mohammed (foulprone, slow, poor footwork), Penny (partially disabled), Deke (slowest player in the league bar none), and possibly Vin Baker (who at least has awesome. You need someone to play defense. We'd be like the Mavs without the offense if we traded Kurt for Stack
TMS
USA
6/24/2004  3:24 PM
i just said you could easily replace KT's role w/a MLE signing like Mark Blount or Etan Thomas...both are gritty hard work type guys who can grab boards, block shots & finish around the rim...both are younger than Kurt, & both are alot more athletic...what's the big deal if you lose Kurt Thomas? you think he's the key to success next season?
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/24/2004  3:29 PM
What about the draft in 2005? This year seems extremly weak...does anyone have a heads up on next years prospects? Briggs? Caseloads?

The Knicks arent major players in it this year - and havent really been for the past few because their picks come after the great players have been chosen (although I like Sweets and FWill - its not like we picked Lebron or Melo though).
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Chico
6/24/2004  3:34 PM
my understanding was that a lot of teams were going to be competing for blount and thomas and they might even go for more than the MLE. I do agree with you completely that those guys would be better fits than Kurt, i just don't think they're lying around waiting to get picked up like a pair of sea shells on the beach. And no, I don't think Kurt has one iota to do with the future of the team and that his extension was all about making him more attractive for a trade (locking him up for a reasonable price, versus a team not knowing where he was going next year). dude, i'm all for blount or thomas on the knicks.
TMS
USA
6/24/2004  3:43 PM
they have just as much chance to sign here as they do on teams like Miami, Boston, NJ, etc...every team that's over the cap can only offer the MLE, just like NY...& any team that's under the cap have better options to pursue, like K-Mart or Dampier.

i'm not saying you can assume those guys would sign here, but i don't see why they wouldn't considering there won't be many teams offering them more than a MLE level deal.
Chico
6/24/2004  4:26 PM
i know. i was referring to the teams under the cap. the utahs atlantas, phoenix's etc. might throw down big bucks to lock down young proven shotblocking bigs. also, i think your overvaluing the knicks to assume anyone would want to sign here over miami. that team is way more up and coming than us at this juncture.
TMS
USA
6/24/2004  4:37 PM
let's consider what teams have cap space that can go after these guys...

ATL - who wants to play there? even so, they won't offer these guys more than a MLE contract...i bet they'd be happy to sign Stephen Jackson to an extension at this point.

UTAH - likely to go hard after Okur or Nash imho.

PHO - trying to get Kobe, or if not, rumored to be going after either Nash or Okur...could also use the cap space to help their chances of trading for T-Mac by taking on 1 of their bad contracts.

LAC - need to re-sign Q. Rich, & also want to make a play for Kobe or Shaq

SA - need to re-sign Manu & Turk - also want to make a play for Kobe or T-Mac, but would definitely be interested in K-Mart or Dampier.

DEN - need to re-sign Camby - also want to make a play for Kobe, or possibly K-Mart...also a candidate to make a play for Q. Rich or Dampier.

about the only real competition i can see for the Knicks for guys like Blount & Etan are the Wizards, Heat, Celtics & Nets, all of whom have the same MLE to offer as the Knicks...& to me, NY would be a more attractive place to play just for the exposure aspect alone...the Heat & Nets have better teams, but being a part of a Knicks team that makes a marked improvement over last year's team could be a very attractive aspect for guys like Blount & Etan who are trying to make a name for themselves in the NBA now.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/24/2004  4:57 PM
Posted by fishmike:

yea... nothing for the Knicks. My guess is Isiah just didnt like the offers that were bouncing around and he's waiting for the post draft trades. Alot of team will select a player they didnt think would be available at that spot, or get screwed because they thought someone would be at a spot and wasnt, and get stuck drafting a player by ranking that they didnt really want.

After the draft you will see a lot of logjams and teams looking to complete rosters. I think if we are going to trade thats out best bet.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but I kind of have the feeling this is the Knicks for the next year. Isiah's plan will be to get Sweetney, DJ and Frank playing at a higher level, then go into next offseason with a cleaner roster, a full compliment of picks, and TT, Penny and Nazr entering their walk years.

I would much rather see this than make some suspect desperation move that will get us 3 more wins this year and kill (even more) of our future flexibility.

yes. we have talked about this many times already and i keep repeating it but if we go into the season with the same roster, being healthy, and with a full training camp, we'll be fine and better than last season. deke and othella will become really valuable at the deadline and then next offseason is when we can make a major move. developing sweetney and frank and having the team win will only increase the value of EVERY player on the team.

would i like isiah to try to improve this team by signing someone? yes, but i'd rather it be with the MLE/LLE (for swift, crawford, doleac, someone of that nature)

do i think we need to make a trade? no, we don't have to do anything and we'll still win 45 games next season.

if re-building usually is accepted as having a 3 year plan, then year one, we made the playoffs. this will be year two, and we'll improve on our wins and hopefully get homecourt and advance a round. year three is when we make a run at the division. it seems to be playing out that way...
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/24/2004  5:02 PM
Posted by TMS:

about the only real competition i can see for the Knicks for guys like Blount & Etan...

forget etan. if kurt is still on the roster and with sweetney, there is no need for etan. even nazr is developing and working with aguirre. getting 10 and 8 from nazr is not farfetched and perfectly fine with me. only, and only if we trade kurt or nazr should we entertain the thought of either blount or etan.

we should go full bore after swift and crawford and that's it. offer either the full MLE and put the pressure on memphis/chicago to match. if they do, great, if not, we get our man. and we should do it sooner, rather than later.

you know, with cablevision losing money hand over fist, and the mets now leaving MSG, maybe dolan's crazy free spending days are coming to an end. there's also a rumor of a 200% luxory tax in the works. maybe isiah can't offer someone the full MLE. who knows? but it's something to keep in the back of your head...
2004 NBA Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy