Expansion Tid Bits
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/23/2004  2:06 PM
A couple things....

- Why didn't Q. Woods get picked in the draft? Is he that bad?

- Looks like Detroit couldn't convince the Bobcats to take a salary (Cambell) off of their hands so they could free up space to sign both Rasheed and Okur. After the playoffs Sheed has to be expecting Max $ from Detroit. I wonder if the reason Isiah is saying that he will not be pursuing Sheed and Detroit is the best place for him is because the Knicks plan to go after Okur.

- Looks like the NY papers got eveyone into a frnezy over the possible vets coming this way via Charlotte. Typical NY paper selling stories.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/23/2004  2:17 PM
I was surprised Woods wasnt taken, but he has a lot of character questions and when your building a new franchise you don't necessarily want to be burdened with that for PR reasons. I think there was also a glut of pretty good SF/SG's (they got Wallace, drafted Pavlovic although they dealt him, Slay, Kapono, etc.), so they could afford to not take him. They also took Desmond Ferguson from Portland because he is an RFA, so they obviously made their choice based on money.

As far as Okur, I agree, not being able to dump Campbell is gonna make things tougher for them. I'd love to go after Okur, but I believe he'll get at least a couple of offers greater than the MLE.

And the NY papers have to get us interested. I'm sure there were discussions, but they always get us hyped up for nothing. There's nothing better do in the offseason anyway.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/23/2004  2:35 PM
This is HUGE for Det. Unless something changes they have 7 players under contract and are only $11mm under the cap. Unless they get someone with cap space like Utah, Atl, Pho, Cha... to take Cambell out of the goodness of their hearts there is no way they are resigning Okur and Sheed. They cant resign Okur at all for more than the MLE unless they renounce Sheed's Bird rights. What they can do is get Okur signed w/ the MLE and Sheed for about $9mm a year, but most seem to laugh when I mention Okur signing for MLE type money.

Woods is a pothead and Bernie wanted to avoid that I guess.

NY papers are so full of smoke its funny. All the big deals in the last 3 years werent even on thier radar except the KVH trade. Nothing was even hinted regarding Layden being fired, the MArbury trade, the McDyess trade or the TT/KVH trade. Oh, they did say Mike Fratello was going to coach.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
6/23/2004  4:00 PM
Fish, Detroit doesn't have an MLE to use. Only capped out teams get MLE's, right? That makes it even tougher on the Pistons.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/23/2004  4:40 PM
Fishmike, do you really believe 90% of the NBA don't smoke weed on a regular basis? Its a cultural thing along with the tatoos and the hip hop. I, for one, know guys who have smoked with NBA players. The League even waited till MJ was out of the league to start testing for weed since he's such a known "pothead". To say pot is a character issue when 40% of the league has a criminal record and most of those for violence against women is just ignorant.
fishmike
USA
6/23/2004  6:47 PM
a cultural thing? Why dont you just say nigaz love the herb? Please... you have been watching to many afroman videos. Do I think AI, Odom and all the trailblazers light up? Yes. Do I think most of the NBA are regular (more than 5x a week) pot smokers? No I dont. What you are talking about is a pot loving lifestyle, and if you telling me most NBA players of a certain culture live like Snoop dog your not in reality. For every pothead in the NBA there are 3 that never even get high. For crying out loud there's probably more Jesus lovers that potheads.

There is a a difference between a guy that gets high in the summer on his boat, and I guy that gets arrested because he's driving 80 with a pound of dope in his gym bag.
Chico
6/23/2004  11:34 PM
Of course your last statement is true, but there's such a world in between that where do i start? should we mention the quotes from Halberstam's book on the Trailblazers (probly the best bball book ever written) where Bill Walton gets permission from Dr. Jack to smoke weed after games. There are certainly not 3 jesus freaks for every pothead. Jesus freaks don't have rap sheets (40% of the NBA), jesus freaks don't have tatoos and record rap albums...and plenty of nba players who don't have rap sheets, tatoos or record rap albums smoke weed several times a week. you seem to think the only ones who smoke are the ones who get caught by cops. how could you be a fan and be so far removed from the league? incidentally i know two guys (who i specifically confirmed this with today) who have between them smoked with five guys and smelled two others. none were trailblazers, none was iverson. What about MJ? Seems smoking weed regular didn't affect his game...
Chico
6/23/2004  11:36 PM
and oh yeah..."nigaz, love the herb."
fishmike
USA
6/24/2004  9:35 AM
your right.. my bad
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/24/2004  10:52 AM
Posted by Chico:

What about MJ? Seems smoking weed regular didn't affect his game...

What makes you so sure MJ was lighting up daily? If you keep smoking regularly it will definitely start to effect your game. Maybe not in your 20's but in your 30's it will. These guys play at a level we cant even comprehend - you have to keep your body in top physical condition and smoking destroys that. Bill Walton played in a different era, smoking was different back then too. I am sure a lot of players light up on a regular basis but I wouldnt say it was the majority of the league - or at least the superstars.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/24/2004  11:03 AM
since we're on the topic, a NYC guy I work with smoked with no other than Phil Jackson back in his playing days (late sixties I guess).

We can see where his zen philosphy came from!
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/24/2004  11:50 AM
different time. At that time, guys were smoking and drinking glasses of alcohol on TV in France. eigthies were even worst.
Expansion Tid Bits

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy