[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah is Extremely Overrated
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/23/2004  1:51 PM
Everyone seems to think that Isiah is some kind of genius. People on this board constantly refer to him as being able to do the impossible. However, Isiah has never done anything impressive. The Marbury deal was easy to do. Layden was in discussions for it before Isiah came. The Tim Thomas trade was a lateral move. he is extremely similar to Van Horn. Nazr is just like dozens of other big guys with marginal talent. Guys like him can be gotten for less than 5 mill a year. Isiah has been known to make bad business decisions before. He was an athlete not a successful business man. I think people are just happy that layden is gone but I don't think Isiah is anything special.
AUTOADVERT
Starks3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #211
USA
6/23/2004  1:55 PM
and who would you want as GM?
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/23/2004  2:00 PM
Isiah is not a genuis, but he has made moves to get the Knicks headed in the right direction.

I'm curious to know what guys you think Isiah could have signed for less that 5M that are equal to Nazr.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
6/23/2004  2:00 PM
Posted by Starks3:

and who would you want as GM?

I never said I don't want him as a GM but you shouldn't go around syaing Isiah has some magic up his sleeve. Isiah has done nothing to impress me.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/23/2004  2:06 PM
to me he has yet to prove one way or the other. I like a few things about him so far. The first (and biggest) is he clearly had an impact on the players right away. Under Layden there was no accountability. You stunk, the team stunk, everyone got extensions and "we love our roster." Isiah came in and started lighting fires under guys and they responded. The whole feel of the team changed.

Isiah didnt say "we love our roster" he said the team stunk, and he said the PLAYERS needed to take accountability for the results. Before we had no direction. The 3 prospects on the roster were Frank (stuck behind Eisley and Ward) and Lampe and Sweetney, who were stuck behind KT, Harrington, Spoon, McDyess, Doleac, KVH... whoever. Clearly a priority for Isiah was finding minutes for the #9 player in the draft.

If the Knicks do nothing else they will be at least a .500 team next year, probably better as I see guys like Frank and Sweetney getting better, guys like Marbury, TT and Nazr getting better together, and Houston and KT just getting healthy. I dont see this as a stretch.

The real hard part is next. No Isiah hasnt done anything genius by any stretch... only what ANY good GM should do. Trim some fat and inject some juice. Now he has to find ways to turn over the roster, keep up a good pipeline and stock some assets that will allow us to hit a blockbuster come next Feb or the offseason after that.

Time will tell, I can be a little patient, as I know this will take time. It makes me laugh that some would trade good players like TT for a draft pick and build around a couple HS kids... something the Bulls proved can take several years, but those same people cant be patient with a new GM for 6 months or a year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/23/2004  2:24 PM
he got rid of Spoon & Eisley...to me, those are miracles unto themselves.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/23/2004  2:38 PM
I agree with the post. People were saying in other boards that they would be upset at Zeke if he didn't trade Shandon Anderson for ending contracts & land Damper & Sheed.

The Marbury trade he gave a lot to get a lot. Tim for KVH I give a small edge to us because Muhammad is a better player than Doleac & Muhammad has more value than Doleac.

I love how he made the move to develop Sweetney & I am confident that his only goal is to win a championship which is y I put faith in him. And im willing to give him more than a couple of months to judge him. Zeke is excellent at developing within the organization. And just recently they added a guy in Surr(i think his name is) who is known for making the trades to build quality teams.

Players want to play for Zeke. O'neal, Harrington, Sheed, Dampier, Crawford are examples. He is well respected which is y in the long run I see things working out for the best.

[Edited by - newyorknewyork on 06/23/2004 14:39:37]
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/23/2004  2:51 PM
it's not Isiah's fault Houston, Penny and Shandon are on the team. The Knicks won't be true contenders until all 3 of those guys are gone. I'm so pissed right now that all these great players are out there who would've loved to play in New York for business reasons yet we can't have any of them because Layden overpaid for garbage The best we can do is get the Antoine Walkers of the world and how far is that gonna get us when other teams have Shaq, Kobe and Macgrady. I'm still hopefull that Isiah will get Shandon off the Knicks this year and hopefully we can get Cwebb or Rahim along wth Dampier because Nazr will not cut it as our starting center.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/23/2004  2:57 PM
isiah - so far so good

for the time he's been here, he gets an A.

but the overall grade is incomplete. i think we all will know what isiah has done for the knicks after this trading deadline and after the next offseason.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/23/2004  3:13 PM
I keep hearing how the Marbury deal was a"easy" deal to do.. I ask then, why din't layden pull the trigger? This could of saved his job? was he asking to be fired? come on man, Layden was probably holding out for some unrealistic add on, like marion for Shandon Anderson...LOL...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
6/23/2004  3:18 PM
i think what prevented him from making the trade was that he was holding out on his demand for Amare Stoudamire in exchange for Kurt Thomas.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/23/2004  3:33 PM
There is bits of truth everywhere.

Isiah really screwed up Chaneys dismissal. Very unprofessional.

Isiah has messed with Jordan and Mike had him excluded from the dream team which hurt him bad. Sports century did a whole progream on Isiah.

The Eye has his darker moments after his career.

Here is my perspective: The little SOB is a severe type A personality whom might be a sneaky backstabbing two faced hyped up dude, but he is doing it for us now. There was no miricle ridding of FatSpoon and Eisley when you take back in greater salary. I know all about Marbs and I think its a good trade, but Freaking Penny Sucks at the kind of money ticketholders are paying! But Isiah has put the team in a positive direction, somthing Laydog was doing. Isiah loaded up more salary to get the team better in the short run, but lengthed the time it will take to do this thing right. Call it progress, ok, but there is slimmers of hope where the garden was dying in despair.

Isiah grade: b+. Might be just as good as it can.

I am so over Laydog and no need to fret anymore. Just move forward and focus on the game. Its what is is all about.
TMS
USA
6/23/2004  3:41 PM
if someone were to ask you whether you thought a team would take Eisley in exchange for Penny, what would you have said this time last year? if you believed they would, what's to say any team wouldn't take Shandon for Raef LaFrentz straight up if they could at this point? to me, Isiah pulling off the deals to get rid of Eisley & Spoon & get players who at least could fill a role on this team were miraculous when no one ever thought those guys would be tradeable for any player...please, no one pretend they thought a trade of those guys was feasible at the same time last year.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/23/2004  3:46 PM
Isiah has messed with Jordan and Mike had him excluded from the dream team which hurt him bad.

I know this isnt the part i should be focusing on, but wasnt it pippen, not mj?
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
6/23/2004  4:10 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Isiah has messed with Jordan and Mike had him excluded from the dream team which hurt him bad.

I know this isnt the part i should be focusing on, but wasnt it pippen, not mj?

I think the bad blood between Isiah and MJ was carried over from the incident in the playoffs when the Bulls defeated the then defending champs the Pistons. Isiah rushed his whole team off the court at the end of the game refusing to shake hands with the Bulls. There was also an incident during an all-star game where Isiah alledgedly conspired to freeze Jordan out of the game in order to make MJ's performance look poor.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
Chico
Member: #666
6/23/2004  4:18 PM
Isiah's judgement of talent as Raptor's GM was pretty impressive. Layden's was pretty horrific. Isiah has charisma, Layden was the anticharisma (this is extremely important both as a leader/team president and in making trades...its pretty clear by the end, other GM's weren't even taking Layden's calls for Eisley for Kobe trades and such) Layden would've taken Spree's (perfectly well deserved) tirade with the same sick weak smile that Dolan gave, Isiah was clearly disgusted. As far as being a bad businessman; Depending on how you look at it, he didn't necessarily get a square shake in either Toronto or Indiana and I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the CBA to comment on that fiasco....though I will admit he seemed to come through alright and a lot of people did lose a lot of money. He might very well be right that they would have lost it anyway and lost it sooner. Zeke says the NBA ruined it by not using the CBA as a minor league. There could be truth in that...he's Michael Jordan's mortal enemy and Stern would bend over backwards to side with MJ over Zeke. Jordan kept zeke off the dream team and essentially ran him out of the league in the early nineties (yeah yeah i know he was injured, but that is definitely NOT the whole story by a long long shot)
6/23/2004  5:08 PM
Posted by tkf:

I keep hearing how the Marbury deal was a"easy" deal to do.. I ask then, why din't layden pull the trigger? This could of saved his job? was he asking to be fired? come on man, Layden was probably holding out for some unrealistic add on, like marion for Shandon Anderson...LOL...

Layden actually was in discussions for a Marbury trade. It has been said though that Dolan was fed up with Layden and din't want him making that type of huge move. He wanted to bring new blood in and destroy the bad image.
Chico
Member: #666
6/23/2004  5:24 PM
Also, Phoenix didn't decide to definitely pull the trigger till Fortson flagrantly fouled their rookie, breaking his wrist and putting the final kibosh on Phoenix' potential playoff run. Once it became clear they weren't gonna make the playoffs, (after last year's exciting first round performance against the Spurs) they decided to rebuild. By that time, Layden's tenure was untenable even for uber-boob dolan. It is possible too that Layden wouldn't have included his prize euro wimps, which obviously zeke had no trouble pulling the trigger on. no trouble whatsoever.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/23/2004  7:50 PM
probably the most famous basketball player ever to come out of the Bobby Knight regime, Zeke has always been considered Piston's most favorite son. Zeke's dream could've been what Dumars has accomplished. i really hope when its all said and done knicks equal or surpasses Reily's era .
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/23/2004  8:12 PM
Jordan kept zeke of the dream team but to me that takes nothing from Zeke, Mike on the other hand with all his great accomplishments had a lot of skeletons also, the documented infidelity, the gambling and shady dealings he also had... Plus when you add that he stunk so bad as a GM that the wizzards almost paid him to leave is laughable, Jordan failed miserably as an executive and that zeke can get the last laugh.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Isiah is Extremely Overrated

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy