[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What can DerMarr Johnson bring?
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/23/2004  11:29 AM
One of the guys that seems to be lost in the shuffle this offseason is DerMarr Johnson. While we speculate about Isiah trying to get backup wing players and trying trade in the first round to get JR Smith, we have a player right here with the same talent base (range, athletic ability, though not great ON D and needs to improve ballhandling) with a lot of room for improvement, but also one who is further along.

Just what kind of talent does DerMarr have? Well first off, even Clarence Weatherspoon could probably drive by him at this point, but defense is something he will learn to improve on and hopefully will put forth the effort. What was impressive was that in his few chances to play big minutes last year, DerMarr showed some explosive offensive ability. Not only did he have a silky smooth 3 point shot, he had the ability to get to the basket and even showed a bit of a post up game. He showed some great leaping ability and the ability to have highlight reel dunks, though he also must learn that he can't dunk over everyone. While extremely slender, he has a long, 6-9 frame with a lot of room to add strength. As he fills out and gets more consistency on his shot, he could be a huge matchup problem at the SG or SF position with his length and sudden quickness. While he doesnt have the exceptional ballhandling ability of a big SF like Tim Thomas, he should at least be solid enough to use his ballhandling to get his own shot. He will reduce his turnovers with more game experience.

It's important to keep in mind that we've only seen flashes from DerMarr and he's no lock to get better, but this a prospect who will be available to the Knicks for a pretty low price. IMO the Knicks should re-sign him, especially with guys like Crawford being a pipe dream. He can play the role of backup SG if Houston is out, and hopefully he will move ahead of Shandon. He's one of the few players on the Knicks with room for improvement and possible NBA starter potential.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/23/2004  11:32 AM
depending on who they get for the MLE...if they get a bigman w/the MLE, i agree, i would spend the LLE on DerMarr & keep him here...he has shown some good flashes last year & i think he can contribute nicely next season, especially if Houston's knee doesn't fully recover, which will result in Penny getting more minutes backing up at SG & opening up a spot backing up TT at SF for DerMarr...i don't want to see Shandon getting anything but garbage minutes next season if at all possible.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/23/2004  11:41 AM
Does anyone think DerMarr reminds you of Prince?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VDesai
USA
6/23/2004  11:42 AM
A couple questions/considerations...

1) With DerMarr being a free agent, is he eligible to play on our summer league squad (if still unsigned)?

2) Do we have to give him the LLE? Is he eligible to take some other minimum level salary (provided he would accept that).
VDesai
USA
6/23/2004  11:44 AM
Posted by martin:

Size/length wise yes. He's not anywhere near the defensive player Prince is, but with that kind of length he at least has the potential to at least be solid with the right amount of effort. Offensively I think he has much more talented that Prince. Whenever he played 15 mins or more he showed some very nice scoring ability.
TMS
USA
6/23/2004  11:54 AM
Posted by martin:

i think Prince has more athleticism, plays better defense & blocks shots better...DerMarr has a nicer perimeter shot...both run the floor well, but Prince seems to have the edge in most departments for now...i definitely think DJ has the ability to be better than Prince though.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
6/23/2004  11:57 AM
Posted by VDesai:

A couple questions/considerations...

1) With DerMarr being a free agent, is he eligible to play on our summer league squad (if still unsigned)?

2) Do we have to give him the LLE? Is he eligible to take some other minimum level salary (provided he would accept that).

i would assume he can play for the Summer League team since Isiah told him not to make any summer plans before the team cleaned out their lockers at the end of last season.

& i doubt DJ will accept a veteran's minimum deal...but he is eligible for that technically as far as i know.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/23/2004  11:59 AM
yea, DJ is still a young player who IMO growth was hurt by comming out of college early and of course the near fatal accident that sidelined him, so we really need to look at DJ as a rookie, he is basically a 23 year old rookie, he has skills, was a lottery pick and has shown the grit and guts to make it back on this level after that injury, heck yea I say we give him every chance to prove himself to the knicks...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/23/2004  12:15 PM
I've been saying that since the Knicks off season started. Resign the guy, by all means. He probably will not be a star in this league (But who knows) but he can still be a solid player, with the tools that he has. He just needs to concentrate better on defense and he needs to understand how our offense works.

He seems to be a pretty clutch player, by the way, b/c he hit a couple of pressure packed free throws in that one game against New Orleans (End of season). Resign DerMarr. Almost a no brainer.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
6/23/2004  12:17 PM
he should get as much minutes as possible as a backup. Same applies to sweet and Frank.

Get all the old rotten guys to the trash.
TMS
USA
6/23/2004  12:18 PM
let's say for argument's sake though, that they sign Jamal Crawford for the MLE...in that case i might be more in favor of signing Doleac to the LLE if they can get him back, or Vin Baker if all else fails...this team needs a bigman to back up Nazr, because Dikembe maybe gone.
VDesai
USA
6/23/2004  12:24 PM
Posted by TMS:

let's say for argument's sake though, that they sign Jamal Crawford for the MLE...in that case i might be more in favor of signing Doleac to the LLE if they can get him back, or Vin Baker if all else fails...this team needs a bigman to back up Nazr, because Dikembe maybe gone.

I agree. If we sign a young, high potential SG like Crawford to the MLE than DerMarr becomes less important to our long range plans. While I don't see that happening, if that iss the case then I agree, we should be looking for a big. We need to bring in one PF/C and one swing man for the backcourt IMO.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/23/2004  12:58 PM
no Prince is very strong. Dont laugh... he may be thin as a rail but he got more muscle and a wirey frame. I think Dermaar is just skinny. When I see what Yankee trainers were able to do with Jeter over a 2 year period DJ needs the same. 3 protien shakes a day, lift weights, ect.... if DJ could put on at least 15 pounds he could quickly become an asset.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/24/2004  2:00 AM
Dermarr can be a great asset off the bench for us!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/24/2004  8:53 AM
Demarr will be a Knick for a long time. Although Lenny couldn't create time or a spot on the roster for this talented kid, Isiah will make it imperative for this kid to get some minutes next year. Demarr reminds me a lot of a shorter Bender. Bender was even skinnier when he first came in the league. As for Demarr, I hope that the administration at least invest some money and help this kid put on some weight on his frame, and most of all give him a contract. Get rid of Anderson, pay and play Demarr
The true Knickabocker..........
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/24/2004  9:46 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Get rid of Anderson, pay and play Demarr

should be on every knicks related commercial.
What can DerMarr Johnson bring?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy