[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do you want A.Walker on the Knicks???

Author Poll
Elite
Member: #510

Do you want the knicks to make a deal for Antoine Walker?
Yes, the bobcats deal sounds good, unload garbage for a former all-star
No, we can make a better deal using those pieces later
View Results

Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23

6/22/2004  4:26 PM
Personally i think this is a tuff one.... Walker is not the answer, he is soft... and not the kind of player to be a main piece in a championship run... but at the same time we are givin up almost nothin for him... i say yes only if we cant get anything better... but i think those players might be able to be used in a better deal... who knows.. this is a tuff choice
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2004  5:04 PM
I voted yes. So long as we dont give up Sweetney or Frank. Having a team with a bunch of ball handlers that can score can be devastating. Walker isnt a good defender. He IS an excellent rebounder... considering how he plays everywhere on the floor he is awesome on the boards. He, Garnett and Odom are the closest players to being able to play 5 positions for any given stretch. He can score anywhere, he can play pg, he can rebound. Knock him all you want, player thats have career averages of 20/8.5/4 assists dont grow on trees. The only thing I dont like about his is his FT shooting, but the guy is big in the clutch.

I want LESS depth. Get rid of Kurt, Deke, Othella, Shandon, Baker, Nazr, Moochie... I dont care. Just give me a couple warm bodies at center.

If Houston cant play, plug Frank in at 2 guard. He's big enough to guard most of them, and we have other shooters...

I would love to see a tighter rotation start of next year

pg Marbury
sg Houston
sf TThomas
pf Walker
c KT
bench: Frank, Penny, Nazr, Sweetney... something like that.

Imagine the value Walker will have come the deadline. He's only 27 (28 this august). This isnt some washed up has been. Ask Paul Pierce if he missed Walker or if he misses going to the ECF.

I think #'s are overrated myself, but if you want to look past 20/8.5/4 and you dont see the tremendous skills this guy has your nuts.

I dont know how guys like Briggs can go on all day about draft picks that are "highly skilled" then turn around and bash "fat-toine Walker."

*IF* we keep our young guys (namely Sweetney, if the deal is right I can live with Frank going, so long as we get a #2 or *something*) I cant see ANY downside to getting him, if for no other reason than his value come Feb will be off the charts.

Do you hate him because you dont respect his game, or do you hate him because he beats you with big 4th qtr shots and does that stupid dance?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/22/2004  5:07 PM
the answer completely revolves around who we get him for. The deal as advertised is good, not great...the best thing about it is probly the 3 for 1 aspect. toine is not the future of this team, but we've gotta clear some room for new blood. this deal opens up 2 roster spots.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/22/2004  5:22 PM
I also voted yes, I'm praying that we can get Walker for the reasons that fishmike stated. Walker easily makes this a better team and he is a huge upgrade at the PF position. No he isn't good at defense, but he does everthing else well. He is a good all-around offensive player who will give you points, rebounds, and assists when needed. Honestly, I just think that this is a no-brainer. No, he doesn't make us a contender for the championship but for us to be a championship team we have to improve and by getting Walker we will. Of course if it doesn't work out we can always trade him for a very good player because of his expiring contract. He would be a very nice asset to this team and I just don't see how some of you guys don't want this deal to happen. I'll take Antonine Walker any day of the week for our expiring contracts and Kurt Thomas.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/22/2004  6:42 PM
If H20 cant play then he might be worth having, however he is a bit of a cancer. Who are we supposedly giving up to get him? Just expiring contracts? If thats the case and Isiah sees nothing else on the horizon that could be good - then pull the trigger.

Personally, I dont like Walker and don't want him to be a Knick. My vote is no - but I could see how he may help us a little in the event H20 cannot recover.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Elite
Alba Posts: 23

6/22/2004  7:27 PM
my problem with Walker is, how can u have a power forward who doesent play D? if thats the case u have to have a ben wallace type of center... the front court must have defense/shot blocking to win
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
6/22/2004  7:35 PM
get rid of deke and othella and gave me walker now!!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/22/2004  7:43 PM
Posted by Elite:

Personally i think this is a tuff one.... Walker is not the answer, he is soft... and not the kind of player to be a main piece in a championship run... but at the same time we are givin up almost nothin for him... i say yes only if we cant get anything better... but i think those players might be able to be used in a better deal... who knows.. this is a tuff choice

It's not so tough for me cuz I'm not thinking of him as a main piece. I think of it as the Knicks picking up a really good ball player to go with Marbs, TT and Houston.

Contracts aside and ego's aside....that team would be very dangerous. The Knicks will be a very versitile team. Marbs is the point guard but the demention that Walker brings is the fact that he is not a black hole. If Walker can't get a shot he give someone else one.

To me that will give the Knicks an identity. You will have to play defense on us or the Knicks will beat you. I tell you what.....if it's gonna happen it needs to happen now. If not the expantion draft it has to be before August.

This will allow Isiah to clean up the roster and maybe get insurance for Houston.

I can see Walker, Timmy, Dampier?, Marbs, Houston winning some big games in NY.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/22/2004  7:47 PM
well, put this rumor to rest since the bobcats did not select walker.
trueknicksfan
Member: #646
6/22/2004  7:54 PM
walker for president!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/22/2004  8:08 PM
Do you hate him because you dont respect his game, or do you hate him because he beats you with big 4th qtr shots and does that stupid dance?

i've always wanted walker for what he brings to the hardwood and the enjoyment he displays tells me he's having fun. you put 'toine in msg and he's gets rollin, his market surpasses kobe.....without a doubt

i dont know what sounds better " nike 'toines " or con toines (converse)
one thing you can be sure of, there'll be a whole lotta shakin goin on!
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
jaydh
Member: #96
6/22/2004  8:10 PM
one thing you can be sure of, there'll be a whole lotta shakin goin on!

o man, u just reminded me of another reason of why i really hate walker and his ****y attitude.
BRIGGS
Member: #303
6/22/2004  8:23 PM
why would we want a player who doesnt play D, has a TERRIBLE shot selction and FG% and commands the ball to much? we dont need guys like this we need guys who will play D guys who have length athletiscm speed and would be willing to play within a system. i know enough about basketball to understand with the make-up of the knicks--we just cant have a player like that on our team playing big minutes. i would rather give mike sweetney 35 minutes and live with growing pains. you cant have tim thomas allan houston and walker on the same team you will get to the playoffs most likely than get exposed by teams who play D who have speed athletiscm and length. There is a reason why Dallas soured on him so fast, because he's not the caliber of player that can win in the playoffs.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/22/2004  8:23 PM
i'd give up KT, or any of the excess filler this team has, for Walker.

i would NOT want to trade Marbury, Sweetney, Frank or Tim Thomas for him though.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/22/2004  8:47 PM
There is a reason why Dallas soured on him so fast, because he's not the caliber of player that can win in the playoffs.

You gotta be kidding.....Dallas is not a defensive stop and never was
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
fishmike
USA
6/22/2004  9:45 PM
funny how he cant play in the playoffs but but took the Celtics to the ECF and drove Jermaine Oneil crazy and made him look like just bad when Bos dumped Indy out of round 1. As for poor shot selection your nit picking. He's a streaky shooter who clearly will take a suspect shot when he's hot... He reminds me a lot of Van Ex that way. And he's not a good defender but he doesnt loaf either.

Those are the negatives. The positives are he's instantly the best frontcourt player on our team and someone that makes guys around him better. When you look at our bigs NONE can handle the ball except TT. Kurt, Nazr, Baker, Deke, Othella, Sweetney... can any of these guys dribble without staring at the ground?

He fills a need just as much as other guys do. And why if we get Walker do we have to stop there? Why cant we trade for Walker and THEN sign Swift to a MLE contract?

Yes.. we should clearly avoid all 20/8/5 players at all costs. You want Rahim who can defend NOBODY, has NEVER even made the playoffs, cant handle the ball well, isnt clutch and stunk in Portland, yet you say "why would we want a player like Walker.."

Gee... I dunno
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/22/2004  10:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:

funny how he cant play in the playoffs but but took the Celtics to the ECF and drove Jermaine Oneil crazy and made him look like just bad when Bos dumped Indy out of round 1. As for poor shot selection your nit picking. He's a streaky shooter who clearly will take a suspect shot when he's hot... He reminds me a lot of Van Ex that way. And he's not a good defender but he doesnt loaf either.

Those are the negatives. The positives are he's instantly the best frontcourt player on our team and someone that makes guys around him better. When you look at our bigs NONE can handle the ball except TT. Kurt, Nazr, Baker, Deke, Othella, Sweetney... can any of these guys dribble without staring at the ground?

He fills a need just as much as other guys do. And why if we get Walker do we have to stop there? Why cant we trade for Walker and THEN sign Swift to a MLE contract?

Yes.. we should clearly avoid all 20/8/5 players at all costs. You want Rahim who can defend NOBODY, has NEVER even made the playoffs, cant handle the ball well, isnt clutch and stunk in Portland, yet you say "why would we want a player like Walker.."

Gee... I dunno

As a fan, you grow to hate Walker. The numbers look good but as a fan it is hard to watch him chuck up shots for your team. It is easy to laugh at him if he is not on your team. In Boston, everyone hated him. I also like to watch the Knicks play and a player like Walker can ruin that.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/22/2004  10:47 PM
being patient will help. Let him slide for now. He might come cheaper down the road. With dallas in running for shaq, he gets more valuable for a trade pawn and ending contract.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/23/2004  12:36 AM
What else are you going to get for KT/Nazr/Othella? To me, obtaining a guy who's going to come in, be your 2nd best player, and average 20/8/5 isn't a bad thing. You've gotta get something for KT now because you know his value will only decrease.

One thing about Antoine is he's in his CONTRACT YEAR. Guys always stay disciplined and focused in their contract year because they know it could mean huge money. Look at Rasheed, did he act like a lunatic in Detroit and get T'ed up? No. I have a feeling that if Walker came here and Isiah and Lenny told him "stay in the post" he would stay in the post and not shoot 8 threes a game.

If you do go out and get Antoine, you must get an athletic, defensive minded big man, and to me that's Etan Thomas. He's big enough (6'10", 260 lbs.) and strong enough to play C in the East, and I think he's on the verge of breaking out. I'd bet that Blount signs with Miami (he has a house there and apparently wants to play there), so if the Knicks could get Thomas (who grew up in NYC and won't get offered more than the MLE), they'd be fine.

PG: Marbury, Williams
SG: Houston, Anderson
SF: TThomas, Penny
PF: Antoine, Sweetney
C: EThomas, Baker or Doleac signed with LLE

That's a much better team than the one they fielded this year. Let's face it, most teams in the EC don't even have ONE good post threat, nevermind two. Just throw Antoine on their least talented big man and put Sweetney or Etan on the better player and you'd at least have somewhat of a solution. Offensively the Knicks have the mismatches for a change, as 4 of the 5 players could create their own shot.

If he doesn't work out you trade him at the deadline for two players, much like Portland did this year when they turned Rasheed into Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
6/23/2004  9:03 AM
As a fan, you grow to hate Walker. The numbers look good but as a fan it is hard to watch him chuck up shots for your team. It is easy to laugh at him if he is not on your team. In Boston, everyone hated him. I also like to watch the Knicks play and a player like Walker can ruin that.
I know one guy that didnt hate him... Paul Pierce. As for his time with the Celtics did anyone watch those games? Did anyone notice the that Bos was something like 13-2 against us the last 4 years? Did anyone notice that the main reason for that was how Walker made a joke of our forwards? I hope like hell we get him, if for no other reason than we have a real chip in Feb to use instead of peddling Layden's cast offs with future picks.
Do you want A.Walker on the Knicks???

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy