[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Malik Rose to the Knicks?
Author Thread
CTKnicksfan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #572
6/22/2004  11:57 AM
ESPN Insider by Chad Ford has a rumour that the Knicks, Spurs, and Bobcats have discussed a deal that would send Malik Rose to the Knicks. (sorry I don't know how to copy/paste from Insider)

Under the proposed deal, the Spurs would give $3mm and their 1st round pick (no. 28) to the Bobcats to select Rose in the expansion draft. Rose would then be shipped to NY for Mutombo.

[Edited by - CTknicksfan on 06/22/2004 12:10:31]
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/22/2004  12:08 PM
unless the Knicks are trading KT & Harrington in another trade, i don't see any point in this trade.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/22/2004  12:24 PM
yeah, I don't get this trade. The Cats get a first rounder, $3M and Deke for nothing?

How about the Knicks and Spurs do that deal?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
6/22/2004  12:25 PM
Horriable trade unless we get a pick or tradable player ie walker or center wright.
In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
TMS
USA
6/22/2004  12:40 PM
Posted by martin:

yeah, I don't get this trade. The Cats get a first rounder, $3M and Deke for nothing?

How about the Knicks and Spurs do that deal?

SERIOUS! i can at least see the logic behind that since the Knicks could get the 1st round pick from SA...why do the Bobcats even have to be involved w/this trade?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/22/2004  12:40 PM
Financially this would be a horrible trade but talent wise I wouldn't mind swapping Rose of Mutombo. I'd rather do this then the dumb McKie trade, but I'm not to crazy about this trade either. My guess is the Isiah is trying to get Rose to make Kurt more expendable (who knows maybe he already has a trade in place to deal Kurt).
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
USA
6/22/2004  12:43 PM
why not simply get Charlotte to take Harrington, then package the trade exception w/Trybanski to SA for Rose & their 1st round pick? or is that not allowed under the CBA?
s3231
USA
6/22/2004  12:54 PM
Posted by TMS:

why not simply get Charlotte to take Harrington, then package the trade exception w/Trybanski to SA for Rose & their 1st round pick? or is that not allowed under the CBA?

Charlotte cannot take Harrington because we protected him. Trybanski on the other hand was left unprotected but I don't think Charlotte will take him anyway.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
USA
6/22/2004  1:01 PM
damn, why do i keep forgetting that we protected Othella?

can this be done then:
Isiah offers the Bobcats $3 million to take Trybanski in the expansion draft, & then trades the exception along w/Harrington & the 2nd round pick to SA for Rose & their #1?

[Edited by - TMS on 06/22/2004 13:02:12]
CTKnicksfan
6/22/2004  1:03 PM
Forgot to mention, in this deal the Knicks would also give their 2nd round pick, which makes it even worse.

I really don't understand why Zeke wants Rose at all. He's another undersized backup PF type with an outrageously long contract at big $; He's borderline untradable like spoon was (except for another overpaid marginal talent- aka moochie). I hope there is something else involved b/c I just don't see how this helps the team.

I wouldn't mind getting Walker but I think that's pretty unrealistic. Walker is the same situation as Rasheed was last year, with his trade value determined more by his expiring cap number than by his basketball talent and what he could bring to a team. If Isaih sees a deal that he likes and makes sense to move the expiring contracts of Deke, Othella and Trybanski then go for it, IF it upgrades the talent level of the team. But to move an expiring contract for marginal talent with big $ committed long term, like Rose or Mckie, is a big mistake. If that's all that's available right now, I would hold on to the expiring contracts (put them all on IR for all I care) until the deadline. At that point some teams will be out of the playoff race and willing to deal for expiring contracts. For now, Zeke should focus on upgrading through the 2nd rd pick, and use the MLE and LLE.

[Edited by - CTknicksfan on 06/22/2004 13:07:40]
s3231
USA
6/22/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by TMS:

can this be done then:
Isiah offers the Bobcats $3 million to take Trybanski in the expansion draft, & then trades the exception along w/Harrington & the 2nd round pick to SA for Rose & their #1?

Yea I would think that this could be done. But I doubt that San Antonio gives us their first round pick unless we send KT in return.
TMS
USA
6/22/2004  1:07 PM
i agree CT...i hope Isiah has something else up his sleeve that would make this trade make sense.
s3231
USA
6/22/2004  1:08 PM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

Forgot to mention, in this deal the Knicks would also give their 2nd round pick, which makes it even worse.

I really don't understand why Zeke wants Rose at all. He's another undersized backup PF type with an outrageously long contract at big $ borderline untradable like spoon was 9except for another overpaid marginal talent. I hope there is something else involved b/c I just don't see how this helps the team.

I wouldn't mind getting Walker but I think that's pretty unrealistic. Walker is the same situation as Rasheed was last year, with his trade value determined more by his expiring cap number than by his basketball talent and what he could bring to a team. If Isaih sees a deal that he likes and makes sense to move the expiring contracts of Deke, Othella and Trybanski then go for it if it upgrades the talent level of the team. But to move an expiring contract for marginal talent with big $ committed long term like Rose or Mckie is a big mistake. If that's all that's available, I would hold on to the expiring contracts (put them all on IR for all I care) until the deadline. At that point some teams will be out of the running and the expiring contracts will be worth more. For now, Zeke should focus on upgrading through the 2nd rd pick, and use the MLE and LLE.

I have to admit that I'm not too crazy about this deal but I have a feeling that if Isiah is taking Malik then he has another trade lined up in which he will send KT. Maybe he will use KT to get us a first round pick so we can get J.R. Smith. Who knows? I trust Isiah, if he does this Rose deal then I think KT will be gone in a matter of days. We're gonna have to wait and find out.
TMS
USA
6/22/2004  1:09 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by TMS:

can this be done then:

Yea I would think that this could be done. But I doubt that San Antonio gives us their first round pick unless we send KT in return.

that would be fine w/me...send them KT for Rose & their #1 pick as was discussed last season at the trading deadline...but i think the Spurs are more interested in getting cap space so they can make a run at K-Mart or Kobe.
dregal
Member: #686
6/22/2004  1:10 PM
yeah - throwing in the 2nd round pick puts this trade over the top for me. Not to mention that by adding Maik we are taking minutes away from Sweets. This deal reeks of Layden.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/22/2004  4:32 PM
i think, at least i hope, that if we end up with rose, then isiah has a deal involving kurt lined up. i would rather just stay status quo than pick up rose and use our expiring deals at the deadline where they're more valuable.
CTKnicksfan
6/22/2004  9:24 PM
Well it looks like this deal didn't go down, nor the one for McKie. Thank God for that.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/22/2004  9:42 PM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

Well it looks like this deal didn't go down, nor the one for McKie. Thank God for that.

That's what I'm saying. I was hoping none of those dumb deals went through. Just dumb rumors.

Malik Rose for one is what we expect Mike Sweetney to turn into next year.....at least Malik from last year....why didn't Malik play this season? was he hurt?

McKie is a step above Shandon but that doesn't really help the team all that much to have two over paid role players that play the same position.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/22/2004  10:02 PM
Sweetney is already much better than Rose.
Malik Rose to the Knicks?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy