[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Trade to Get Shaq
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/21/2004  11:35 AM
We can trade for Antoine Walker from the expansion draft. We can then package him (expiring contract), Tim Thomas, and Sweetney for Shaq. That is a realistic offer.
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/21/2004  11:39 AM
So if Walker doesn't resign its a trade of TT and unproven Sweetney for Shaq? I don't think the Lakers would do this.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/21/2004  11:39 AM
no its not.
6/21/2004  11:48 AM
Posted by Andrew:

So if Walker doesn't resign its a trade of TT and unproven Sweetney for Shaq? I don't think the Lakers would do this.

The point is that Walker will expire and give them cap room but for this year it allows them to reamin competitive. It is similar to what Dallas is rumored to be offering: Walker, Finley, and Josh Howard. TT is younger than Finley but not as good and Sweetney fits more than Howard who is a sg/sf.
Chico
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #666
6/21/2004  11:50 AM
right. for shaq.

is "1" short for scott layden?
6/21/2004  11:55 AM
Posted by Chico:

right. for shaq.

is "1" short for scott layden?

Who else will give them a better offer? They don't want him going to a West Conference contender.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/21/2004  12:02 PM
Posted by 1:

It is similar to what Dallas is rumored to be offering: Walker, Finley, and Josh Howard.

It is similar, but I don't see the Lakers trading with Dallas either. If you trade Shaq, an All-NBA top 5 player, you better get at the very least a potential perrenial all-star in return. And if they go the rebuilding route...at least a lottery draft pick.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
6/21/2004  12:11 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by 1:

It is similar to what Dallas is rumored to be offering: Walker, Finley, and Josh Howard.

It is similar, but I don't see the Lakers trading with Dallas either. If you trade Shaq, an All-NBA top 5 player, you better get at the very least a potential perrenial all-star in return. And if they go the rebuilding route...at least a lottery draft pick.

The Knicks can also throw in a future 1st rounder, although it wont be a lottery pick. No Eastern Conference team is going to trade a star for Shaq and will have the contracts to add up to his salary. Walker's agent has said that Isiah is talking about trading for Walker. I am pretty sure that Isiah does not want Walker but is trying to get him to move in a trade like this one.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/21/2004  12:19 PM
Posted by 1:
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by 1:

The Knicks can also throw in a future 1st rounder, although it wont be a lottery pick. No Eastern Conference team is going to trade a star for Shaq and will have the contracts to add up to his salary. Walker's agent has said that Isiah is talking about trading for Walker. I am pretty sure that Isiah does not want Walker but is trying to get him to move in a trade like this one.

By getting Walker we would be helping the Mavericks get Shaq because they would get a huge trade exemption if the Bobcats do indeed select Antoine. The Mavericks could then make a deal with the Lakers without even giving up a large contract which would save the Lakers a ton of money.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
6/21/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by 1:
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by 1:

By getting Walker we would be helping the Mavericks get Shaq because they would get a huge trade exemption if the Bobcats do indeed select Antoine. The Mavericks could then make a deal with the Lakers without even giving up a large contract which would save the Lakers a ton of money.

No, from the Dallas News:

"But if he is taken, it will make doing deals with LA or Orlando tougher because, while the Mavericks will get a $13.5-million trade exception, it would not be combinable with other players to facilitate a deal for O'Neal, who makes about $26.7 million."
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/21/2004  12:42 PM
Posted by 1:
Posted by s3231:
Posted by 1:
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by 1:

No, from the Dallas News:

"But if he is taken, it will make doing deals with LA or Orlando tougher because, while the Mavericks will get a $13.5-million trade exception, it would not be combinable with other players to facilitate a deal for O'Neal, who makes about $26.7 million."

Didn't see that, thanks for the info
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
6/21/2004  2:08 PM
The reason this deal is very realistic is becuase the Lakers will not want to trade him to a Western Conference contender. How many teams can give better players with big contracts? Walker gives them someone who can keep them competitive and then his deal expires giving them cap room, Tim Thomas is a young scorer, and Sweetney is a young big man. We can also throw in a future first round pick. No other Eastern Conference team is going to be willing to give up a star and half their team for Shaq.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/21/2004  2:32 PM
what about teams like the Pacers, Heat, or Nets? i think they have much better players to offer than the Knicks do personally...i think Jermaine O'Neal would be alot more attractive to the Lakers...or a package of Odom, Butler & Jones for Shaq & Fox? i think Shaq would love the idea of hanging out on South Beach & playing for someone who he deeply respects as his GM, Pat Riley, along w/an exciting young player like Wade...there's also the idea of returning to NJ where he was born & raised...i would think a package involving K-Mart, Kittles & other players/picks would be a helluva lot more attractive to the Lakers than Walker, TT & Sweetney.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
6/21/2004  2:38 PM
Posted by TMS:

what about teams like the Pacers, Heat, or Nets? i think they have much better players to offer than the Knicks do personally...i think Jermaine O'Neal would be alot more attractive to the Lakers...or a package of Odom, Butler & Jones for Shaq & Fox? i think Shaq would love the idea of hanging out on South Beach & playing for someone who he deeply respects as his GM, Pat Riley, along w/an exciting young player like Wade...there's also the idea of returning to NJ where he was born & raised...i would think a package involving K-Mart, Kittles & other players/picks would be a helluva lot more attractive to the Lakers than Walker, TT & Sweetney.

The Pacers are not trading Jermaine (hometown young star) and half their team for Shaq. They are making a run at T-Mac instead.

It is doubtful that the Heat would trade Odom. Riley loves him. They have a young core and a good future.

The Nets cannot afford Shaq.

[Edited by - 1 on 06/21/2004 14:39:27]
TMS
USA
6/21/2004  2:55 PM
Posted by 1:

The Pacers are not trading Jermaine (hometown young star) and half their team for Shaq. They are making a run at T-Mac instead.
who said they'd have to trade half their team to get Shaq? all that would be needed is Jermaine & some other of their excessive contracts, like Croshere & Pollard, for Shaq...you don't think Larry Bird wouldn't LOVE the idea of bringing Shaq to Indiana & matching him up w/Artest, Harrington, Reggie & Tinsley?
It is doubtful that the Heat would trade Odom. Riley loves him. They have a young core and a good future.

Riley would love Shaq a whole heckuva lot more, trust me.

that's a fair point, but can they afford to let K-Mart walk for nothing in return? isn't it worth their while to try & win a title while Kidd is still on the team & before RJ decides he wants to leave NJ after that?

[Edited by - TMS on 06/21/2004 14:55:36]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/21/2004  2:56 PM
Im wit TMS on this...theres other teams that can offer LA more desirable players than TT, Walker, and Sweets.
6/21/2004  3:26 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by 1:

who said they'd have to trade half their team to get Shaq? all that would be needed is Jermaine & some other of their excessive contracts, like Croshere & Pollard, for Shaq...you don't think Larry Bird wouldn't LOVE the idea of bringing Shaq to Indiana & matching him up w/Artest, Harrington, Reggie & Tinsley?

Riley would love Shaq a whole heckuva lot more, trust me.

that's a fair point, but can they afford to let K-Mart walk for nothing in return? isn't it worth their while to try & win a title while Kidd is still on the team & before RJ decides he wants to leave NJ after that?

[Edited by - TMS on 06/21/2004 14:55:36]

The Pacers would rather have Jermaine and T-Mac than just Shaq. All of the fans would rather have Jermaine. Would Knicks fans rather have Marbury or Kobe? It is a similar situation. The Heat would probably rather try o build a team like Detroit. If they can sign a center like Dampier than they will be very good. I don't think they want to mortgage a promising future just for Shaq. Just Shaq will not make them favorites to win it all so they will probably want to stick with their young players. The Lakers also want some expiring contracts so that they can have cap room. They don't want any bad huge contracts. I think the Knicks offer is one of the best they will receive. It gives the Lakers a lineup:

Payton
Kobe
TT
Walker
?
6/21/2004  3:27 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Im wit TMS on this...theres other teams that can offer LA more desirable players than TT, Walker, and Sweets.

Like who?
6/21/2004  4:45 PM
The trade can be expanded so that we also give them Nazr and we get Deavon George back. The Lakers would then have a lineup of:

Payton
Kobe
TT
Walker
Nazr
TMS
USA
6/21/2004  10:01 PM
The Pacers would rather have Jermaine and T-Mac than just Shaq.

T-Mac was traded to Houston, so this is all moot...but i don't get that point anyway...what does getting Shaq for O'Neal have to do w/the Pacers' ability to get T-Mac? why couldn't they still have gone after T-Mac after they got Shaq for O'Neal in that scenario? you think out of Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Fred Jones, Jonathan Bender & Jamal Tinsley, you still wouldn't be able to get back T-Mac & then some?

i think Larry Bird would rather have Shaq & T-Mac than T-Mac & J. O'Neal personally.

[Edited by - TMS on 06/21/2004 22:08:30]
A Trade to Get Shaq

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy