[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks talking to the Bobcats about Antoine Walker?
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
6/21/2004  2:12 PM
I'm all about upgrading our level of talent on the team.

I'm kind of surprised we didn't just work out a trade with Dallas using KT as bait. He's still 27 (soon to be 28 in August) and while not nearly as athletic as Tim Thomas, he has a much higher basketball IQ and much more game.

Like most players in his generation, he's a big man with a remarkably low fg %. He's a career 41% shooter. Think that's low? Jermaine O'Neal shot a similiarly poor 43%, so he's not alone in this regard.

I think Rasheed Wallace is really what IT would love to get... but if that's not possible, I'd be okay acquiring Walker even if it meant giving up Sweetney. I'd say the jury is still out on him. I just don't get the feeling that undersized PFs age well in the NBA--- as wear and tear saps them of their above-the-rim game.

And just as reports have said, I wouldn't mind a return of Antonio McDyess--- his initial healthy return was very promising, adding untold depth to our bench. I also wouldn't mind a return for Doleac, whose perimeter game really added another element for us at center.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/21/2004  3:06 PM
Posted by JayNYC:

Anybody here stop to think that, when Charlotte drafts Antoine Walker for us.. we will be setting ourselves up for another trade. Walker could be our means to getting Shaquille O'neal..

Don't laugh!!! It's not as far fetched as it seems.
His expiring contract.. plus a package of Dikembe Mutombo and Shandon Anderson could get it done.. Sweet'n the pot with next years #1 and we'd have a deal.. I'm almost certain!!

IMAGINE:

Shaq
K.Thomas/Sweetney
T.Thomas/D.Johnson
Houston/Hardaway
Marbury/F.Williams

Thats a CHIP right there!!! Just something to think about>

I dont see LA giving up shaq AND taking on shandon. miracles dont happen in 2s
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/21/2004  3:32 PM
Walker for KT and Shandon?

Bob's get two for one. Yah waht KT, gotta take Shandon.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/21/2004  3:44 PM
I wonder if anyone would feel differently if the Walker was replaced with Mo Taylor....who the Rockets may have left unprotected. Still I'd rather develop Sweetney.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/21/2004  4:00 PM
Wow adding another player that Kenyon Martin bitch slapped.
Chico
Member: #666
6/21/2004  4:24 PM
Mo Taylor is the rockets version of shandone anderson. i'm not sure why we would want more bad players with long term contracts who don't play defense. To compare him to antoine walker, a good player in the last year of his contract who doesn't play defense is like comparing a tomato and a red porche. they're both red...but that's about it.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/22/2004  12:05 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/22/sports/basketball/22nba.html

Several clubs have been trying to trade with the Bobcats through the expansion draft. The Knicks, who have much interest but little hope of landing any of the top three available superstars (O'Neal, McGrady and Bryant), tried to swing a deal with Charlotte that would have sent Dallas's Antoine Walker to New York. Charlotte was going to take Walker in the expansion draft and then trade him to the Knicks for several role players with favorable contracts. But the Knicks did not have enough players in the final year of their contracts to make the Bobcats bite.

tkf
Member: #87
6/22/2004  12:12 AM
thank god. No walker... good..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
USA
6/22/2004  2:15 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/23514.htm

ISIAH'S TALKING TO BOBCATS

By MARC BERMAN

June 22, 2004 --
Knicks president Isiah Thomas has had several discussions with Charlotte Bobcats GM/coach Bernie Bickerstaff regarding a trade before tonight's expansion draft, but no agreement has been reached.

Two GMs said the Knicks were trying to get Charlotte to select the Mavericks' Antoine Walker in exchange for Knick pawns, but that appears dead. Bickerstaff said yesterday he's not planning to select the star power forward with the big contract tonight. Bickerstaff said discussions will still continue with the Knicks.

Among other unprotected players stirring Isiah are shooting guard Aaron McKie and Malik Rose, both with long-term deals, making about $5.5M next season. Thomas nearly traded for Rose at the trading deadline in exchange for Kurt Thomas.

Bickerstaff acknowleged the Knicks have attractive assets. Sources say the Bobcats have interest in Othella Harrington and Dikembe Mutombo, both in the final years of their contracts, and the Knicks' second-round pick (43rd overall). Bickerstaff said he's looking for a couple of vets to serve as "mentors."

Bickerstaff said he expects to make three or four more trades this week, adding, "We have a some things on the bubble and we'll work diligently to try to bring a couple more to fruition.

"I've had conversations with Isiah, but we can't get to the point where we've had an agreement," he said.

Bickerstaff said he's had inquiries about Walker but said it's "a difficult situation" to trade him, referring to his contract, which is worth $14.6M next season. Harrington, who wants to be traded after being left off the playoff roster, and Mutombo's pacts add up to just $7.5M, so the Knicks would have to add more pieces. It's a reach, but the Knicks still own the rights to Frederic Weis, whom Bobcats president Ed Tapscott drafted while in New York.

Allan Houston is in no danger of becoming a Bobcat today, as Bickerstaff ruled out taking mega-sized contracts. Thus the Knicks likely won't lose a player.

Craig MacKenzie, agent for Charlie Ward, said his client opted out of his Spurs contract yesterday to become a free agent. If PG Frank Williams is dealt, the Knicks would have interest.

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/22/2004  2:42 AM
using the trade checker, just for the financial aspect of course :

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Cezary Trybanski (0.1 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.1 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.6 minutes)
C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.4 ppg, +10.0 rpg, and -1.7 apg.

New York trades: C Cezary Trybanski (0.1 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.1 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (4.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.6 minutes)
C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -7.4 ppg, -10.0 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1677064
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/22/2004  2:53 AM
what i wanted to show is that if the deal works for dallas, it will aslo for charlotte
Rich
USA
6/22/2004  5:00 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/205093p-177036c.html

Walker-to-Knicks
rumors heat up

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rumors of a trade that would bring Antoine Walker to New York are alive again. The Knicks and Charlotte Bobcats have had discussions about a deal for Walker, who was left unprotected by the Dallas Mavericks for tonight's expansion draft.

Walker's salary could preclude the Bobcats from selecting him, because if they were to deal Walker to the Knicks they would have to take back approximately $14 million in salary.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Walker's agent, Michael Higgins, confirmed that the Knicks and Bobcats were talking about a potential trade for Walker.

Walker, who will turn 28 in August, is entering the final year of his contract. His name is already being linked to trades with the Lakers, Magic and Bulls if Walker remains a Maverick after tonight.

Last season, the Knicks were prepared to send Latrell Sprewell and Michael Sweetney to Boston for Walker, but the Celtics rejected the proposal. Boston GM Danny Ainge swore he wouldn't trade Walker - only to deal him to Dallas.

The 6-9 Walker can play either forward position and is drawing plenty of interest around the league because he is in the final year of his pact. The Bobcats' projected salary cap for the 2004-05 season is approximately $32 million, which is why it wouldn't make financial sense for them to keep Walker.

Instead, they could select him and then attempt to trade him for several players, including some who are also in the final year of their contracts. For example, the contracts of both Dikembe Mutombo and Othella Harrington expire after next season. Other players would have to be included in the deal to match Walker's $14 million price tag.

If Dallas still owns Walker's rights, he could still be sent to the Knicks in a deal for Dallas product and former Maverick Kurt Thomas, who is a favorite of both owner Mark Cuban and coach Don Nelson.

One problem is that Walker and Tim Thomas are somewhat similar players. The Knicks would prefer to deal Tim Thomas, who lost credibility in the front office and in the locker room for sitting out the final three games of the Knicks' first-round series against New Jersey after challenging the Nets team and specifically Kenyon Martin. But with Thomas' value low and his contract high, he is difficult to move.

TRADE WINDS: Two players Isiah Thomas also knows very well, Tracy McGrady and Ron Artest, may both be on the move. McGrady could land in either Houston, Chicago, Indiana or with the Clippers.

The Pacers are trying desperately to trade Artest, a St. John's product from Queensbridge, who suffered several meltdowns in the playoffs. According to a league source, the Pacers spent an hour trying to convince Artest to get on the team plane after their Game 4 loss at Miami in the second round. Artest wanted to remain in Miami with his wife before finally boarding the plane.

In final minutes of the Pacers' Game 6 loss to Detroit, Artest picked up a costly flagrant foul when he forearmed Richard Hamilton in the face. After the series, Artest skipped his exit interview with Larry Bird.

BOBCAT BAIT: The Knicks left Allan Houston, Shandon Anderson, Penny Hardaway, Cezary Trybanski and Moochie Norris unprotected for tonight's expansion draft.

Originally published on June 22, 2004

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/22/2004  9:17 AM
Charlotte's not gonna take KT because he's not an expiring deal. The only way they'd take him is if they were assured the could immediately trade KT for an expring deal.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/22/2004  9:28 AM
when it comes down to it, everyone on the team is available except marbury and sweetney. it's a matter of what's best for the team. players like sheed, dampier, walker are the attainable ones. it's a matter of which one we can get.

i'm all for getting walker just for the mere fact that we can dump him at the deadline for some pretty good players. walker is a VERY valuable trade commodity.

but with all factors considered, the bobcats or dallas can get a better deal if they wait till the deadline. that's why i think this is just another tabloid story concocted by the newspapers. the knicks are nowhere near close to getting antoine.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/22/2004  11:14 AM
Bernie Bickerstaff yesterday indicated the Bobcats are not going to take Walker, however, so the Knicks will have to deal with Dallas directly.

raven's proposed trade on another thread of KT, Harrington, Mutombo & Trybanski directly to Dallas for Walker would work here hypothetically, but Cuban is set on trying to get Shaq, so he might have to use Walker in that trade.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/22/2004  3:20 PM
And why would ANYONE take that pile of crap for Walker? Walker has fallen dramatically, but he's still better than say, Keith Van Horn and you don't just give him away. Then there's the added fact that his expiring deal is FAR more tradeable at the deadline. Now, why would any team give that up for Kurt and a bunch of fodder, expiring fodder or not?

The only chance was to make it work with Charlotte, which can't happen, apparently. Maybe if they can find a taker for Kurt (like Utah?) who would give them a number one pick or something and has the cap room to just absorb the salary it could work.

Bottom line: Walker is quality and he'd make the Knicks better, but he doesn't address the SERIOUS defensive needs this team has at the moment. They need a shotblocking PF or C. Putting Walker next to Nazr and TT in the front court would get ugly REALLY quickly. If you can add Walker and then give the MLE to someone like Chris Andersen, I say do it.

Also, can people please stop fantasizing about adding Stromile Swift, Erick Dampier or Rasheed Wallace for the Mid-Level? There's no way any of those guys will EVER come here for the MLE. It just won't happen.
¿ △ ?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/23/2004  1:45 AM
I think the biggest thing going for this trade (at least on Dallas's end) is that they'd end up with some defensive role players to complement their all-star quality offensive talents (Dirk/Finley/Nash--Jamison).

Mutombo/Bradley make an imposing (albeit slow) center tandem--- and knowing Nellie, he'd probably try to play them together. :)

Kurt Thomas is more along the lines of the player Dallas needs than Walker. He's hard and nasty... and takes charges. I consider him among the better big-man defenders in the league. With his experience playing center w/ the Knicks, he'd fit in nicely alongside Nowitzki/Jamison.

Of course... maybe we want Antawn Jamison instead. In the east, he might be able to put up big numbers with his relative size/power/skill.

Overall, the contracts of Mutombo/Thomas are basically unwanted... so dump 'em while you can.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Rich
USA
6/23/2004  1:48 AM
The problem with Jamison is that his contract extends to 2007-08:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm
Knicks talking to the Bobcats about Antoine Walker?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy