[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks talking to the Bobcats about Antoine Walker?
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/21/2004  11:00 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/062104dnspomavslede.280415ad7.html

The Bobcats may have designs on taking Walker, then moving him on to New York.

"I know they have been talking," said Michael Higgins, Walker's agent, about Charlotte and the Knicks. "I haven't heard anything about him ending up in LA. I think that's a pipe dream."

Not a fan of Walker at all, but I'd take him for our expring deals...
AUTOADVERT
mikesknicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #684
USA
6/21/2004  11:07 AM
I think Walker can be a very go player in the post with zeke in his ear and the knicks fan on him he can be a good player for us.
In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/21/2004  11:07 AM
please no, i dont think i'll be able to watch him take shots from midcourt.. hes too frustrating of a player to watch.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/21/2004  11:10 AM
I definitely wouldn't mind taking an all-star PF for basically crap. If it doesn't work out here then he will still have a ton of value to us because of his expiring contract. I know a lot of people don't like him because he chucks up threes but I really liked how he played this year in Dallas. He became more of a team player and showed an all-around game (he had a couple of triple doubles on the year, one against us). I guess if we do get him, then you can forget about Rasheed unless we are just getting Walker to trade for Shaq as this article implies.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/21/2004  11:24 AM
If we did get Walker I don't know where he would play. TT is slated at the 3 and I'm hoping that Sweetney would be stepping into more minutes playing the PF position.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
s3231
USA
6/21/2004  11:27 AM
Walker would most likely play the 4. The only bad thing about getting Walker is Sweets would be getting less minutes at the 4 as you mentioned.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
BRIGGS
Member: #303
6/21/2004  11:29 AM
boy that sounds unrealistic because of that massive salary 14.625mm but even if there was some reason to it, i guess that forks mike sweetney but would anyone expect anything otherwise?
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/21/2004  11:46 AM
If I see that the bobcats take walker tomorrow, I am going to scream, because that means he is comming to NY for sure, and I really don't care for him that much, he is not what we need really...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
s3231
USA
6/21/2004  11:57 AM
Posted by tkf:

If I see that the bobcats take walker tomorrow, I am going to scream, because that means he is comming to NY for sure, and I really don't care for him that much, he is not what we need really...

Yea I know what you mean... he isn't really what we need but he can make us a better team. Getting Walker doesn't make us a contender for the title, but it definitely makes us a better team and it gives Marbury another star player to work with. I don't know about you guys but I will be very happy if we come away with Antoine. As I mentioned before Antoine will have value to us whether it is because of his expiring contract or because of his impact on this team.
s3231
USA
6/21/2004  11:59 AM
BTW is the expansion draft gonna be live on T.V?
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
6/21/2004  12:42 PM
Anybody here stop to think that, when Charlotte drafts Antoine Walker for us.. we will be setting ourselves up for another trade. Walker could be our means to getting Shaquille O'neal..

Don't laugh!!! It's not as far fetched as it seems.
His expiring contract.. plus a package of Dikembe Mutombo and Shandon Anderson could get it done.. Sweet'n the pot with next years #1 and we'd have a deal.. I'm almost certain!!

IMAGINE:

Shaq
K.Thomas/Sweetney
T.Thomas/D.Johnson
Houston/Hardaway
Marbury/F.Williams

Thats a CHIP right there!!! Just something to think about>
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/21/2004  12:54 PM
That's NEVER going to happen. The Lakers are going to want either an all star power foward or center for Shaq, like Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand. No chance the Lakers take Walker and even the Knicks expiring contracts for Shaq. They have enough expiring contracts as it is.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/21/2004  12:59 PM
With this being said, as talented as Walker is, I'd hate to root for him, more than anything. He wouldn't help our team, especially with our frontcourt. He's not a cancer, but he's no anti biotic.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/21/2004  1:11 PM
I cant believe what I am hearing.. getting Walker would be SO huge for this team. There is no downside, UNLESS you have to use Sweetney to get him. The upside is he came into camp 15 pounds lighter and in great shape last year, and got off to a very good start. If he isnt that good here you have a high tier player in the walk year of his max contract. Thats just about the best value you can have.

Sweetney turns 22 this fall. Did somebody say "stick a fork in him" ????

Please... Isiah always talked about getting more "attractive and valueable pieces." Walker in his final year would be a HUGE asset going into the trading deadline.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/21/2004  1:32 PM
i think getting Walker for a KT, Harrington, Mutombo & Trybanski type deal would be worth it...but only if you couldn't use KT to trade for something the team needs more, like a real C (Dampier)...

i don't see any other deal the Bobcats would go for...there's no way you could use Penny or TT to get Walker since Charlotte would be looking for reasonable contracts or ending deals...in fact, i would guess that the Knicks would have to include future picks or a young player like Frank or Sweetney to get them to take Walker in the expansion draft for them...so it would all depend on what the Knicks would be giving up to get Walker from Charlotte.

i would say that if Walker were to come into camp in shape & ready to work, he could fill many minutes at SF as well, moving TT to SG on some rotations as Allan Houston is likely to not play extended minutes w/that frail knee of his...that would give Sweetney the minutes we all want him to get...& w/Penny, Walker & Marbury on some rotations, you would have 3 guys who can handle the ball & orchestrate the offense...you could use Walker much like the Knicks of '99 used to use LJ as well, though LJ was also a superb defender which Walker isn't known to be at all.

but again, i think for any deal of this kind to go down, the Knicks would be giving up picks, since i can't see the Bobcats taking on the Knicks overpaid veteran bench players for Walker w/o them...so i might not be in favor of that deal depending on what they would be giving up.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/21/2004  1:37 PM
Posted by jaydh:

please no, i dont think i'll be able to watch him take shots from midcourt.. hes too frustrating of a player to watch.

Well Dallas and Boston were three point shooting teams. The funny thing about Walker is he always seems to get his 8 rebounds per game. Walker's play making skills would be like Mason all over again except Walker is twice the offensive player.

This is what we are talking about......the Bobcats selecting Walker and trading him to the Knicks for say Mutombo, Othella and maybe stick Shandon on them? Whoever they send over there even be significant to the Knicks because the Bobcats are a new team and vets make the difference in situations like that.

This is pretty big guys.....For a sec try and look at the positives that Walker brings. If anything he adds a demention to the Knicks that they never had and that is 4 guys that can kill you on any given night in Timmy, Marbs, Houston and Walker if the deal is true.....

What?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/21/2004  1:40 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I cant believe what I am hearing.. getting Walker would be SO huge for this team. There is no downside, UNLESS you have to use Sweetney to get him. The upside is he came into camp 15 pounds lighter and in great shape last year, and got off to a very good start. If he isnt that good here you have a high tier player in the walk year of his max contract. Thats just about the best value you can have.

Sweetney turns 22 this fall. Did somebody say "stick a fork in him" ????

Please... Isiah always talked about getting more "attractive and valueable pieces." Walker in his final year would be a HUGE asset going into the trading deadline.

Yaaaayuh!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/21/2004  1:48 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by jaydh:

Well Dallas and Boston were three point shooting teams. The funny thing about Walker is he always seems to get his 8 rebounds per game. Walker's play making skills would be like Mason all over again except Walker is twice the offensive player.

This is what we are talking about......the Bobcats selecting Walker and trading him to the Knicks for say Mutombo, Othella and maybe stick Shandon on them? Whoever they send over there even be significant to the Knicks because the Bobcats are a new team and vets make the difference in situations like that.

This is pretty big guys.....For a sec try and look at the positives that Walker brings. If anything he adds a demention to the Knicks that they never had and that is 4 guys that can kill you on any given night in Timmy, Marbs, Houston and Walker if the deal is true.....

What?

forget about Shandon going anywhere dude...it's not happening unless the Knicks were taking on an even more horrendous contract in the process.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Member: #303
6/21/2004  1:50 PM
we dont have any near term picks to sell other than the 44 pick this year which amounts to a value of 300,000. we cant trade an 05#1 and we already traded 05#2 06#1 etc..

how can this deal get done financially? even if both teams give 3mm dollars they are 8+mm short with no picks to give on either side.

why would we want this deal? walker has been run out of boston and now Dallas hes slow he doesnt play D and his shot selection might be the worst in the league. for a team that needs defense athletiscm length speed--what does this player represent to us? let me tell you 0. Let Nazr and Sweetney play PF go out and draft a David Harrison and go full boat trying to sign dampier. antonie walker tim thomas allan houston who t F would be playing D we would be the slowest smallest team in the league.. no--we dont need fatoine.
RIP Crushalot😞
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
6/21/2004  1:58 PM
That's NEVER going to happen. The Lakers are going to want either an all star power foward or center for Shaq, like Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand. No chance the Lakers take Walker and even the Knicks expiring contracts for Shaq. They have enough expiring contracts as it is.

Antoine Walker.. is an allstar caliber forward.. he can play a multitude of positions, would allow Kobe to have a 2nd option.. and moreover has an expiring contract that, contrary to your belief.. Would definitely be appealing to the Lakers. Add to that fact the uncertainty of Karl Malones return, or health status for that matter.. OF COURSE they'd take him!

That being said.. they'd also want Jermaine O'neal or Elton Brand as well. But neither one of those three are significant upgrades over the other. If any thing, the reason that deal that I mention may not happen is because of the other pieces involved.. Quite naturally the Lakers would want at least 1 bonafide player, Expiring contracts and some young hopefuls to match.. NY would only have the expiring contract of Mutombo to actively pursue this deal. They cant afford to deal away their youth.. however teams like Indiana and the Clippers have an abundance of young talent to disperse. Otherwise, NY has as good a chance as any to land Shaq, if they can swing the deal with Charlotte??? Remains to be seen!
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
Knicks talking to the Bobcats about Antoine Walker?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy