[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

portland gets 22 pick for cash
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/21/2004  12:21 PM
Ok...I think the Nets needed to make a Qualifing Offer to Kmart (which they did) to make him a restrincted Free Agent, otherwise he would have been an UFA. I guess Kmart couild have accepted the offer, but at the designated salary for the additional year and then become a UFA next year.

So he is a RFA this year.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2004  12:25 PM
the qualifying offer in the fourth year of the rookie contract guarentees the team excluive restriction. It guarantees the player an automatic 20% raise off his last year salary even if no other team offers him a contract proposal.

baically the team is guarenteeing payment in year 4 for the right of full restriction.

for example rodney white did not receive a qualifying offer from Denver after his three year rookie deal was up making him an unresticted FA. All denver had to do was give him a qualifying offer of around 3mm to keep restriction on them, but they declined to keep their cap space at a maximum. This doesnt preclude Denver from resigning White to a lower salaried contract after the fact.
RIP Crushalot😞
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/21/2004  12:28 PM
Yea that makes sense. BTW I'm just gonna throw this out there but does anyone think the Nets would be able to get Shaq? Bruce Ratner is trying to cut down on money and this would probably never happen but do any of you guys think that the Lakers would trade Shaq to the Nets for K-Mart, Kristic, Alonzo, Kittles, and Rodney Rogers also? David Alridge just wrote an article saying that a deal like this might be able to land Shaq.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=aldridge_david&id=1825532
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/21/2004  12:33 PM
i'd say it has about as much chance as some of the other trade proposals we discuss on this forum...who knows what will happen until it actually happens? i think the Nets do have a shot at getting Shaq, sure...but will the Ratner investment group want to shell out the salary to Shaq over the next 2 years when they are currently trying to complete their purchase of the Nets organization & move them to a new arena in Brooklyn? who knows.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
portland gets 22 pick for cash

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy