[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Vecsey: Kobe would double his Nike deal by coming to NY
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/20/2004  12:57 PM
What if Kobe should defect to the Knicks? Nike, say sources, is prepared to double his $45 million contact should he be declared not guilty and winds up playing in New York. What if he splits for San Antonio or Phoenix or remains in L.A. with the Clippers? What if Buss actually lets him walk away without compensation?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/23369.htm

Just thought that was interesting....
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/20/2004  6:21 PM
There is basically no chance that Kobe will leave LA now that owner Jerry Buss has made him their "franchise player." Kobe isn't going anywhere because they're getting a new coach and Shaq is most likely leaving. If the Lakers had choosen Shaq over Kobe, then I would say the Knicks would still be in the running for Kobe, but, its over now.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
6/20/2004  8:32 PM
the article is moot point since shaq is the one that will be leaving. why is nike willing to double the money for kobe just to play in ny?

wow...nike is banking on knick fans
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/20/2004  8:56 PM
Posted by Bobby:

the article is moot point since shaq is the one that will be leaving.

Why...because another news article said so?
Posted by Bobby:

why is nike willing to double the money for kobe just to play in ny?

wow...nike is banking on knick fans

Nike is banking on Knick fans and NYC...and the media exposure that comes along with it.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/21/2004  2:13 AM
to be fair, Kobe's sneaker sales have been very disappointing even before his rape charges were ever filed...the hype that would be generated by Kobe signing w/NY would be unbelievable, & i can picture his sneaker sales & endorsements getting a HUGE boost as a result nationwide...so you never know, this article might have some truth to it afterall.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
6/21/2004  4:41 AM
I'm sure Kobe would receive a huge amount in endorsements in NY. I'm not sure though if it would be enough to make up for the difference in money the Lakers and Knicks can offer him. (A 7 year $140 mil contract in LA vs. a 6 year $38 mil contract in NY.)
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/21/2004  8:51 AM
Yes, Kobe would make $100 mil over 7 years in advertising if he played in NYC. Come on...
Andrew
USA
6/21/2004  9:11 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'm sure Kobe would receive a huge amount in endorsements in NY. I'm not sure though if it would be enough to make up for the difference in money the Lakers and Knicks can offer him. (A 7 year $140 mil contract in LA vs. a 6 year $38 mil contract in NY.)

I doubt that the mid level contract would last 6 years without having an opt out after year 2 (or is it 3) so he could sign for Max $.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
6/21/2004  9:11 AM
...but I still don't think Kobe is coming to NY.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/21/2004  9:28 AM
Is there any reason Isiah Thomas can't hire Kobe's wife to be the spokesperson for MSG, Cablevision and related properties for $40 million per year?

And I don't mean IT personally- but someone at a related division of Cablevision.

And there wouldn't have to be a clause that says its so Kobe signs here- but it would clearly be understood.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/21/2004  9:33 AM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I doubt that the mid level contract would last 6 years without having an opt out after year 2 (or is it 3) so he could sign for Max $.

Exactly. And I think Sheed would be looking for that type of deal as well if he ended up wanting to sign here.
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2004  9:59 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

Yes, Kobe would make $100 mil over 7 years in advertising if he played in NYC. Come on...
Jordan made over $30 mil per season in endorsements
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
6/21/2004  10:15 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Kobe would at least make that much money in endorsements if he played in NY. I still think there is a chance he could come here
TMS
USA
6/21/2004  11:38 AM
Posted by franco12:

Is there any reason Isiah Thomas can't hire Kobe's wife to be the spokesperson for MSG, Cablevision and related properties for $40 million per year?

And I don't mean IT personally- but someone at a related division of Cablevision.

And there wouldn't have to be a clause that says its so Kobe signs here- but it would clearly be understood.

i'd be happy to hire Kobe's wife to be my "personal assistant" as well...i'll write him an IOU for $40 million.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Chico
Member: #666
6/21/2004  11:44 AM
STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! i just don't understand all these kobe to ny or kobe anywhere rumors. now that they got rid of phil and they're trading shaq, kobe's so obviously staying with the lakes and they're going to build around him. and don't even mention the trial. it's a joke. they've pretty much already won. his team is running circles around the hick prosecution. they've won everysingle pre trial skirmish. they've succesfully painted her as a ho and a mentally ill one at that. its pretty clear the sex began as consensual and she said stop only when he tried to go up her ass. its gonna be hard to get a jury, especially one in such a backwards place to call it rape when it began as consensual (despite the fact that that is the law) its more than just "she went to his room" which she did, she said "yes" to the sex (at least at first.)
TMS
USA
6/21/2004  12:26 PM
Posted by Chico:
its pretty clear the sex began as consensual and she said stop only when he tried to go up her ass. its gonna be hard to get a jury, especially one in such a backwards place to call it rape when it began as consensual (despite the fact that that is the law) its more than just "she went to his room" which she did, she said "yes" to the sex (at least at first.)

correct me if i'm wrong, but if Kobe forcefully performed anal sex on the alleged victim even after they had begun to have consensual sex, doesn't that still constitute sexual assault?
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2004  3:51 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Chico:
its pretty clear the sex began as consensual and she said stop only when he tried to go up her ass. its gonna be hard to get a jury, especially one in such a backwards place to call it rape when it began as consensual (despite the fact that that is the law) its more than just "she went to his room" which she did, she said "yes" to the sex (at least at first.)

correct me if i'm wrong, but if Kobe forcefully performed anal sex on the alleged victim even after they had begun to have consensual sex, doesn't that still constitute sexual assault?
Yes, legally it does without any ambiguity. You might find some jurrors who don't care about the law and feel that in that scenario what Kobe did is acceptable, though.
Chico
Member: #666
6/21/2004  3:55 PM
Of course its legally rape, but as bonn said, the difference between the law and jurors interpretation is pretty wide...with the primitive sex views of small town colorado (cnn has interviewed all sorts of townsfolk...the potential jury pool... all of whom seem to blame her) nobody cares about rape in this country. when it came out that strom thurmond had fathered a child by a fifteen year old girl, that by its very definition is rape and rape is a crime with no statutory limit, yet no outcry no nothing. this is a capitalism. money and power usually come out over right.
Vecsey: Kobe would double his Nike deal by coming to NY

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy