[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Per NYDN - IT targeting the Draft
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
6/20/2004  11:38 AM
"

Knicks fans will have to lower their expectations this summer, from Kobe all the way down to J.R. Smith.

This Thursday, Smith is jumping right into the pros from Newark's St. Benedict's Prep. According to several teams, Isiah Thomas is targeting him in the draft, if the Knicks can acquire a mid-first round pick in the coming days.

Bryant may be Thomas' dream. Smith is the reality."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/204412p-176420c.html
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/20/2004  12:37 PM
I'm hearing great things about Smith. Exceptional shooting range and great athletic ability. As a HS guy it will take him a while to get consistent, but he sounds like he can really be a good player. Another local kid too. We know Isiah has taken HS players before (TMAC). I don't know how he'd get into the late lottery to take this guy, but I'd love to see it happen, and the only guy I would be against moving is Sweets.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/20/2004  12:41 PM
I don't know how he'd get into the late lottery to take this guy
the article says he's expected to go in the middle of the 1st round.
VDesai
USA
6/20/2004  12:51 PM
Late lottery is mid first round. He can go anywhere from 10-17. Some of the mocks rate him higher or equal to Josh Smith while some a shade below. I could see him going to Cleveland at 10 but not past Atlanta at 17. We'd have to move ahead of some team that wants him in order to get him. Utah and Boston have several picks in that range and I doubt they'd give them up. Utah generally looks to build through the draft since its harder for them to attract FA's, and Boston is stockpiling picks to move up.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/20/2004 12:58:57]
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/20/2004  1:15 PM
JR Smith rebounds in workouts

After some tough workouts in Atlanta, Portland and Utah a few weeks ago Smith is finally starting to show why many people think so highly of him. Measuring out at 6-7 was a big boost for him (especially considering that he was listed by some at 6-5) and everyone that has seen him recently has commented what a great body he has despite the fact that he hasn’t spent much time working in the gym. He will be a legit post up threat in the league once he learns how to use it, and he’s been compared by some to Lebron James with the way his body looks at the age of 19. Athletically he is without a doubt a freak, although that didn’t register as well as you might think in the combine because he is a better leaper off one foot just like Andre Iguodala. That combined with his excellent (although extremely inconsistent) range and obvious upside lead scouts to believe that he is too talented to pass up in the 18-26 range, especially with all the players that pulled out. The only real concerns around him that are keeping him out of the lottery at this point is his nonchalant attitude in workouts—sometimes looking as if this process is all just one big hassle for him; combined with the fact that his in-between game is pretty poor, especially his ball-handling and mid-range game. He is a project player, but one that could end up as a homerun pick, which is a thought that will lie very heavily in the back of decision makers minds on draft night.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
VDesai
USA
6/20/2004  1:53 PM
Okay maybe here's the plan.

In the expansion draft trade Deke+Othella for Lorenzen Wright.

Trade Nazr to Utah for either the 14th or 16th picks. They are looking for a center like Swift or Arajuo, and maybe they'd look to Nazr who's closer to contributing. Maybe Nazr to Boston at 15 who is also looking for a center. Hopefully the pick would allow us to get JR Smith...

BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/20/2004  2:10 PM
My guess is they trade Harrington and Mutumbo to get Lorenzen Wright through the expansion draft, and then trade Mohammed and the 2nd rounder to move up in the draft to get JR Smith.

That way you never really lose anything, because you upgrade C with Wright by giving up junk, and then add Smith by giving up Nazr.
#Knickstaps
VDesai
USA
6/20/2004  2:27 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

My guess is they trade Harrington and Mutumbo to get Lorenzen Wright through the expansion draft, and then trade Mohammed and the 2nd rounder to move up in the draft to get JR Smith.

That way you never really lose anything, because you upgrade C with Wright by giving up junk, and then add Smith by giving up Nazr.

Umm...dude that's basically what I said in the previous post.
MX25
Member: #555
USA
6/20/2004  3:22 PM
I read somewhere that Hornets are gonna take Smith with there first round pick. I think it's either 17 or 18. So knicks would have to get higher but 14,15,16 are jazz and boston picks and they not trading them. So it could be hard to get Smith.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/20/2004  6:46 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Okay maybe here's the plan.

In the expansion draft trade Deke+Othella for Lorenzen Wright.

Trade Nazr to Utah for either the 14th or 16th picks. They are looking for a center like Swift or Arajuo, and maybe they'd look to Nazr who's closer to contributing. Maybe Nazr to Boston at 15 who is also looking for a center. Hopefully the pick would allow us to get JR Smith...

As I have mentioned before in other threads, trading Nazr to Boston for one of their first rounders just might work because they will most likely loss Blount in the free agency and Danny Ainge has already said that he only wants 2 Rookies on his roster next year, not 3. I would love to draft Smith because he really does have the potential to become a very good player in the NBA. He already has an NBA type body which will probably allow him to contribute in his first year. Plus, Marbury and Smith could become a very dangerous backcourt in a couple of years. Smith will fall into the draft range of 16-23, I highly doubt he falls in the top 15 but hey you never know what is going to happen. Hopefully we will be able to steal Smith on draft night.

[Edited by - s3231 on 06/20/2004 18:46:52]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/20/2004  7:12 PM
I doubt I would give up a first round pick for Nazy unless the Knicks were taking back a bad long-term contract.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/20/2004  7:50 PM
thats the wrong smith. josh smith is WAY better IMHO and could be a spectacular two-way player.

ill still think pick 10 is something we could maneuver into if we gave up Tim Thomas Othella and Frank Williams for pick 10[josh smith] Battie Wagner and Ollie

RIP Crushalot😞
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/20/2004  7:53 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

thats the wrong smith. josh smith is WAY better IMHO and could be a spectacular two-way player.

ill still think pick 10 is something we could maneuver into if we gave up Tim Thomas Othella and Frank Williams for pick 10[josh smith] Battie Wagner and Ollie

Josh Smith may go after J.R. Smith.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/20/2004  8:06 PM
even if we just use our 2nd round pick to take an athletic, defensive minded SG or SF, we should be alright. getting jr smith would BE GREAT but that's only if utah or boston want nazr or kurt.
s3231
USA
6/20/2004  8:11 PM
Posted by 1:
Posted by BRIGGS:

No, that won't happen. A lot of teams in the top 10 want Josh and he definitely won't slip past the 10 pick (Cavs will take him if he slips that far). If Atlanta can't move up to take Dwight, then they most definitely will take Josh. There is basically no chance Josh doesn't get back in the top 10. J.R. Smith however, basically has no shot at all at going in the top 10. He will most likely go between 16-21. If I was Danny Ainge I wouldn't give up one of my picks in the top 20 for Nazr Mohammed, but, look who we are talking about. Its Danny Ainge so anything can happen. Nazr had a decent season and with Blount leaving I wouldn't be suprised at all if the Celtics gave up their first round pick to us. I agree with Briggs that Josh Smith is better than J.R. Smith but I wouldn't mind going after J.R. because we would give up a lot less and J.R. also has a ton of potential. I just hope somehow, we get into this draft.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/20/2004  8:21 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by 1:
Posted by BRIGGS:

No, that won't happen. A lot of teams in the top 10 want Josh and he definitely won't slip past the 10 pick (Cavs will take him if he slips that far). If Atlanta can't move up to take Dwight, then they most definitely will take Josh. There is basically no chance Josh doesn't get back in the top 10. J.R. Smith however, basically has no shot at all at going in the top 10. He will most likely go between 16-21. If I was Danny Ainge I wouldn't give up one of my picks in the top 20 for Nazr Mohammed, but, look who we are talking about. Its Danny Ainge so anything can happen. Nazr had a decent season and with Blount leaving I wouldn't be suprised at all if the Celtics gave up their first round pick to us. I agree with Briggs that Josh Smith is better than J.R. Smith but I wouldn't mind going after J.R. because we would give up a lot less and J.R. also has a ton of potential. I just hope somehow, we get into this draft.

I know Josh is more likely to go first but it has been reported that teams are souring on him. Second, Danny will never do any business with the Knicks or any other Atlantic team unless he belives he is clearly ripping them off. This is the guy that gave Detroit cap room and Sheed just so Sheed would not come to the Knicks.
s3231
USA
6/20/2004  8:26 PM
Posted by 1:
Posted by s3231:
Posted by 1:
Posted by BRIGGS:

I know Josh is more likely to go first but it has been reported that teams are souring on him. Second, Danny will never do any business with the Knicks or any other Atlantic team unless he belives he is clearly ripping them off. This is the guy that gave Detroit cap room and Sheed just so Sheed would not come to the Knicks.

True, that Sheed deal could be an indication of how badly Ainge didn't want Sheed to come to NY. Anyway, I still offer that trade to him and see if he bites.
VDesai
USA
6/21/2004  9:56 AM
This article is badly in need of editing, but there are some interesting tidbits here about JR Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1823289
NYKfan1
Member: #679
USA
6/21/2004  1:08 PM
I would be thrilled if the knicks got either smith. J.R would be the perfect replacement for allan and will prob be better in a few years. Josh is the kind of athlete the knicks have never had at the 3. We WILL NEVER get kobe here so if isaih gets one of these guys then he did a great job.
Per NYDN - IT targeting the Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy