[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kupchak: We Won't Deal Bryant...Shaq on the other hand...
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/18/2004  9:31 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakersider18jun18,1,5119954.story?coll=la-headlines-sports
Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Thursday he would not accept a sign-and-trade offer for Kobe Bryant under any circumstances — a hard line against the likes of New York Knick General Manager Isiah Thomas and Bryant agent Rob Pelinka — but might be forced to listen to bids for Shaquille O'Neal.

A sign-and-trade arrangement would allow Bryant to get maximum money over seven years and still leave the Lakers.

"We're not going to trade Kobe," Kupchak said. "We're just not going to do it. Period."

Asked if he'd risk getting nothing in return if Bryant chose to leave the Lakers, Kupchak said, "He's going to have to just go."

Asked why, he said, "Because we're not going to trade him. We're going to do everything we can to keep him."

And if they can't, he said, "Well, we're not going to do a sign-and-trade."

The general manager insisted he believed Bryant eventually would re-sign with the Lakers, who by collective bargaining agreement guidelines will offer a longer and richer contract than any other team.

O'Neal's situation is different. He cannot leave the Lakers until after next season, but he has grumbled about demanding a trade if his contract is not extended or if the roster quality falls below his expectations.

O'Neal has interpreted owner Jerry Buss' in-season remarks as support for Bryant at the expense of Jackson and himself. So he would be unhappy if Jackson left, his contract went untouched and it appeared the organization was shifting its emphasis to Bryant.

To that, Kupchak said Thursday that if O'Neal came to him with a trade demand, he would have to consider it.

"He can dominate this game for years to come still," Kupchak said. "But that's something he has to decide to do. As you do age, it becomes harder and harder to do that. That's probably a big question he has to address."

Asked then if he foresaw a day he would trade O'Neal, Kupchak said, "Well, um, he has a lot to do with that as well. OK? That would not be a good day in this club's history. We do plan to talk to him. As you know, there's another existing issue with Shaquille, the extension…. Those are issues that do have to be addressed. I have not addressed them … with his representative in the last month or two. That's probably something that's going to come up."

By Thursday evening, according to team sources, O'Neal had been relayed Kupchak's remarks, took them to mean the Lakers were eager to trade him, and as a result canceled an exit meeting scheduled for today with Kupchak and Jackson.

hmm, trouble brewing in Hollywood these days i see.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/18/2004  9:47 AM
If I'm Isiah I make an attempt to get Kobe for the MLE. Just try to convince him that he will not be taking that much of a paycut with endorsements and convince him he can achieve greatness in NY, etc. I'm glad though that Isiah is not going to waste all of his time going after Rasheed and Kobe, it seems like he is just going to let NY sell itself to the superstars while he will be working hard to get other players to compliment the team. This should be a good offseason...
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
6/18/2004  9:57 AM
trade houston, kt, tt for o'neal and rush?

i'd do that to get o'neal

our line up

Marbury
Penny
Whoever at SF
Nazr
O'neal

works for me
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/18/2004  10:02 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

trade houston, kt, tt for o'neal and rush?

i'd do that to get o'neal

our line up

Marbury
Penny
Whoever at SF
Nazr
O'neal

works for me

I posted a similar trade yesterday, albeit tounge in cheek. Mine was TT, KT, H20 for O' Neal and George. George has a somewhat more expensive contract, making him more desirable for the Lakers to trade. He'd also be that "whoever" at SF.

Anyway, back to reality, if Shaq is getting to traded its to Orlando for the no.1 pick, Juwan Howard (and whatever expensive non-TMAC contracts they have) and maybe some more draft picks.
mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
6/18/2004  10:08 AM
I love that trade but they would never do a trade without Marbury & sweetney included
In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  10:22 AM
Lakers would be dumb to trade Shaq & not get a stud bigman in return imo...& i'm not talking about just any allstar PF, i mean he has to be a dominant player & he has to be worth giving up a franchise talent.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  11:04 AM
Shaq & Kareem Rush for Brand, Q. Rich & Kaman...i think that deal makes sense for both teams.

Lakers get younger & remain competitive:
C - Kaman
PF - Brand
SF - Q. Rich
SG - Kobe
PG - Fisher or Payton

Clippers get instant credibility in the West & legitimacy w/the LA media:
C - Shaq / Ely
PF - Howard or Okafor / Wilcox
SF - free agent (Stephen Jackson?)
SG - Maggette
PG - Jaric
6th man - Rush

[Edited by - TMS on 06/18/2004 11:51:12]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2004  11:08 AM
The lakes should do a Shaq for No1 pick, grant hill, and howard.

At 29mil a season, I can't see how they can move him. The lakes should think of rebuilding with youth around Kobe. Grow the talent.

Shaq in NY is a Starphuchers wet dream.
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  11:36 AM
Posted by Nalod:

The lakes should do a Shaq for No1 pick, grant hill, and howard.

At 29mil a season, I can't see how they can move him. The lakes should think of rebuilding with youth around Kobe. Grow the talent.

Shaq in NY is a Starphuchers wet dream.

are you nuts? no way would i do that if i were the Lakers...give up my franchise C & in return take on 2 horrendous contracts just for Okafor or Howard? hell no...they'll want at least 2 established guys who are in their primes if they're going to give up the most dominant player in the game...the deal w/the Clippers makes sense for them because it achieves this, & for the Clippers they would get 2 or 3 years of legitimate contention out West, & then if Shaq decides to leave for whatever reason, i'm sure they would be fine w/the tremendous cap relief they would get as well considering their cheap owner...they aren't getting anything from all the money they are spending on Brand & what it will take to keep Q. Rich anyway...i would do this trade if i were the Clippers in a heartbeat.
jazz74
Member: #371
6/18/2004  10:30 PM
actually, that trade makes the most sense. the lakers are over the cap anyway so having grant hill, who could play this year, and howard, who is still a decent pf, would'nt be that bad. the reall key is the number one pick. if they get okafor, the lakers would be back in the mix again. an okafor- bryant tandem would be great for years to come. okafor won't be as dominant as shaq but he would be more athletic and defensive minded on a team that needs it. plus he and kobe are young. buss will celverly build a team around them. if i were the lakers, i would definately do that in a heartbeat. this would be the best deal they can make with shaq's value.
flyingvee
Member: #405
6/19/2004  12:08 AM
Well doing the Shaq to Orlando deal would be the ONLY way to keep T-Mac there, otherwise he's made up his mind to go.

Interesting point on Bryant. Saying he could go to NY on the MLE because it's assumed he'll have been cleared of charges and NIKE would not only re-instae his endorsement deal but even double it being he'd be playing in NY. In fact there's already been talk of possible colusion between the Knicks and Nike.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/19/2004  12:39 AM

jazz74
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Panos:

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:

After this championship run Shaq will have nothing to look forward to unless he is heading east. Shaq would be the most dominating force in the easy east. What the heck, if he takes NY championship his MVP cannot be denied, and he will be considered the greatest center ever....yup, MVPs & championships in both conferences....WOW!
We always knew Ewing's replacement had to be equal or better for NY to go championship. Why settle for less, anything else is a compromise. Can you imagine a team stating to go championship as a season goal?...I almost forgot, the cliche is rebuilding

You are delusional. Getting Shaq would NOT win us a championship. The best it would do would get us to the conference finals. LA, with a MUCH better supporting cast than anything we would be able
to offer Shaq did NOT win the championship last year. What makes
you think a team of FW, Shandum, TT, Sweetney and Shaq (notice
no second all-star?!) could come out of the East, let alone win
the championship?

P.S. - the above is predicated on the fact that I believe H2O is
done. And even if he's not, he's no Kobe.

just the thought that we have anything the lakers want to trade for shaq is delusional. shaq is untouchable. they won't let him go especially with the cloud looming over the future of kobe, payton and malone. shaq is also slowing down. don't get me wrong. he is still hands down the best center in the league but for how long? a year or two? yao is having a good series and going tooth and nail with shaq. when was the last time a center did that against shaq? he has many injury issues to contend with. i don't know. there seems to be a lot of great players available ( ai, mcgrady, kobe, carter, etc.) but all of them have baggage that i don't know we should fool with whether it is health issues or chemistry issues. we should just hope new jersey knocks detroit out of the playoffs and get rasheed or else sign swift or camby. but we have to keep marbury, a point guard with his caliber is rare.

Caseloads, I had that deal a few months ago without Rush, but that will work

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Chico
Member: #666
6/19/2004  1:00 AM
Next years lakers have as many holes as atlanta. pretty much everyone is leaving. obviously kobe will get off. his lawyers are slaughtering the incompetent hicks prosecution team. they've already painted the chick as a whore with mental problems. its a done deal: he's gonna be back in la. we're one of the only teams with contracts big enough to trade for shaq. only dallas has the pieces and they're not gonna do it. Tim Thomas, Frank Williams, Nazr Mohammed, Kurt Thomas, and Othella Harrington and some future picks gives them a bunch of young roll players (except for Kurt who's a legit tough PF despite his age) for Shaq who can play alongside Kobe for years to come... It'll be kobe;s team. they have a few role players already. The fact is Shaq is older and fatter (much closer to 400 lbs than whatever the lakers media guide says) but with him and Stephon, we can come out of the East...
s3231
USA
6/19/2004  10:16 AM
Mark my words, Shaq will go to Orlando for the number 1 pick, Hill, Howard, and maybe some extra picks. It all makes perfect sense, Shaq unites with his friend T-Mac and goes back to Orlando to have a shot at winning another title. McGrady will definitely stay with Orlando if they can somehow land Shaq and O'Neal has already made it clear that he would love to come to Orlando.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
6/19/2004  11:07 AM
If you were LA why in the world would you do that? Grant Hill is shot, nobody comes back after what happened to him and plays decent (see McDyess) And Juwan Howard is one of the most over-rated players ( antoine walker), and the pick may not help you out. I mean Okafor is great, but what about his back? ANd Howard is just a teen. A LeBron story doesn't happen every time a high school player is drafted. (see Kwame Brown)

No, I don't think Shaq will be going anywhere this off-season
VDesai
USA
6/19/2004  11:14 AM
I was originally tongue in cheek about trading for Shaq, but if they really have to move him, we're one of the only teams that can give them 3, maybe 4 starters to put around Kobe, while taking back the bad contracts of guys they do not want (Fox, perhaps George). They'll want youth and more flexible contracts, but we might be able to offer the most legitamate starters....
s3231
USA
6/19/2004  11:24 AM
Posted by matt:

If you were LA why in the world would you do that? Grant Hill is shot, nobody comes back after what happened to him and plays decent (see McDyess) And Juwan Howard is one of the most over-rated players ( antoine walker), and the pick may not help you out. I mean Okafor is great, but what about his back? ANd Howard is just a teen. A LeBron story doesn't happen every time a high school player is drafted. (see Kwame Brown)

No, I don't think Shaq will be going anywhere this off-season

I wouldn't do it if I was LA either. But that doesn't mean it won't happen. I mean look at what Mitch has already done, he already has Shaq demanding for a trade. Shaq won't go to a place where he doesn't want to go (he won't go to the Clips). The only 2 places I can see him going are Dallas and Orlando. LA of course will be able to get more than that for Shaq but they just can't trade him to any team he wants. Plus, don't use McDyess as an example because at least McDyess has played decently when he played this year for us. I never said Hill would be healthy, I included him in the deal to even out the salaries, plus one more discouraged attempt to come back could force Hill to retire which would take his salary off the books for the Lakers. No need to have a fit just because of someone else's opinion.
VDesai
USA
6/19/2004  11:39 AM
One destination I forgot about that probably has a better chance of getting Shaq is Dallas. They could offer package including some combo of Walker, Finley, Jamison, Howard, Daniels Bradley etc. Either way they should be able to keep Nash and Dirk and make a legitamate offer for Shaq, which would be scary.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/19/2004  11:45 AM
Posted by TMS:

Shaq & Kareem Rush for Brand, Q. Rich & Kaman...i think that deal makes sense for both teams.

Lakers get younger & remain competitive:
C - Kaman
PF - Brand
SF - Q. Rich
SG - Kobe
PG - Fisher or Payton

Clippers get instant credibility in the West & legitimacy w/the LA media:
C - Shaq / Ely
PF - Howard or Okafor / Wilcox
SF - free agent (Stephen Jackson?)
SG - Maggette
PG - Jaric
6th man - Rush

[Edited by - TMS on 06/18/2004 11:51:12]

Not bad. Clipps could trade Brand and still land a stud PF with there #2 pick.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/20/2004  8:46 PM
i cant see shaq coming back to the staple center.....as a clipper?

does anybody know what billy knight is up to
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Kupchak: We Won't Deal Bryant...Shaq on the other hand...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy