Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/18/2004  9:23 AM
Knicks hoping price is right

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Isiah Thomas confirmed yesterday that Kobe Bryant and Rasheed Wallace are at the top of the Knicks' wish list, but acknowledged it is unlikely the Knicks will be able to sign either free agent.

"Definitely, the top guys that are on the market we'll have conversations with," Thomas said. "Whether or not we'll be able to get those players . . . our chances are pretty slim because we don't have a lot to play with. There are other teams with more resources, but the thing we have to sell and try and sell convincingly is the opportunity to play in New York and for the Knicks and be a part of one of the first teams in the last 25 or so years to win a championship here. That could be a pretty exciting thing for some players."

The free-agent recruiting period begins July 1 and teams can start signing players two weeks later. Thomas, the Knicks' president, has his eyes on Bryant and Wallace as well as former Knick Marcus Camby, Chicago guard Jamal Crawford and Memphis forward Stromile Swift.

Any of the five would upgrade the Knicks' roster, but getting any of them would take a minor miracle. Because the Knicks are over the salary cap, they can only acquire a top-flight free agent in a sign-and-trade or by offering their $5 million exception.

Swift and Crawford are both restricted free agents, meaning their respective clubs have the right to match any offer. Camby is expected to re-sign with Denver. Wallace is expected to re-sign with the Pistons while Bryant, the No. 1 free agent, has said repeatedly he wants to remain with the Lakers. The fact that coach Phil Jackson is not expected to return enhances the likelihood that Bryant will be back.

Still, Thomas would like to meet with Bryant before Bryant makes a decision.

"If we're on the list, we're honored to be on the list," Thomas said. "We'll definitely invite him and pay him a visit.

"We've had some (internal) conversations and thoughts. But at the end of the day we have to sell the Knicks and we have to sell our vision moving forward. The city sells itself, but the players want to see what strategies you have in place and is this a place you can build a dynasty and win for a long time. That's the story we'll be telling."

Thomas' interest in Bryant and Crawford is another sign that the Knicks are concerned about Allan Houston's status. Houston, who was left exposed for next week's expansion draft, appeared in only 50 games last season and missed the playoffs because of soreness in both knees.

"All reports are he's feeling good about himself," Thomas said. "We're happy with his progress."

Houston, who continues to travel to Boston for water therapy treatment, is opposed to having surgery on his knees. If surgery is required, Houston runs the risk of missing training camp or even the start of the season because he waited to make a decision.

"I think Allan has to speak to that," Thomas said. "I'm not inside his body. All I can do is trust what he's saying and that's how he feels. We have seen progress. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hopefully he can be back on the floor for training camp."

AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/18/2004  9:43 AM
All this Camby talk is kind of interesting. We know he loved NY, and he did a lot of good charity work in this area. We know he was devastated to leave, and we know he has a good relationship with Isiah. We also know Denver can offer him more money. However, he is injury prone, and might not get the years he's looking for. If we stepped in and gave him a 6 year deal, Denver might not be willing to go that far, and Camby might look for the financial security because of his penchant for getting hurt.

I don't think its likely, but Camby would be exactly the type of player we need...an athletic shotblocking big man who can get out on the break. If we can limit his minutes like Denver did this year, he might be able to play in more games this time around. I guess the offseason is the time for optimism...
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/18/2004  10:20 AM
i will tell ya, I know stromile isnt the end all to make this team better, but to me he fills many requirements

A--hes 24
b hes a very long athletic 6-9 with a tremendous vertical leap
c-he has already showed bonafides when givn PT i.e multiple 20-10 games --games with 7-8 blocks etc..
d-would not be overly costly and could be moved again
e-kind of like chauncey billups has all the tools to be a very good player but has the rap sheet that billups had--not considered smart sometimes lazy etc.. needs a team where he can use his tremendous talent and we need a shot bloker and a rebounder who can also score. to me its a match.
f-he can legitimately play C in the east

i think this player would help us improve the team and because of his age would be right up there as a number 1 target
the fanbtasy of rasheed kobe crawford et al is just that it will never happen so i hope they make their pitch but dont waste their time.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/18/2004  10:28 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i will tell ya, I know stromile isnt the end all to make this team better, but to me he fills many requirements

A--hes 24
b hes a very long athletic 6-9 with a tremendous vertical leap
c-he has already showed bonafides when givn PT i.e multiple 20-10 games --games with 7-8 blocks etc..
d-would not be overly costly and could be moved again
e-kind of like chauncey billups has all the tools to be a very good player but has the rap sheet that billups had--not considered smart sometimes lazy etc.. needs a team where he can use his tremendous talent and we need a shot bloker and a rebounder who can also score. to me its a match.
f-he can legitimately play C in the east

i think this player would help us improve the team and because of his age would be right up there as a number 1 target
the fanbtasy of rasheed kobe crawford et al is just that it will never happen so i hope they make their pitch but dont waste their time.

I agree, Stro would be a Camby type with less height, but more durability and youth. He played less than 20 mins per and still put up something like 9.5 ppg 5 rpg and 1.5 bpg. Still only like 25. I'm not certain you can get away with him at center. He really only has small forward size. Certainly worth getting him though...
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/18/2004  10:47 AM
I'd rather get swift than camby- my fear is with our luck, the second the regular season starts camby goes down with injury.

but we kinda need a shooting guard more than a front court player- who knows where houston will be next year- it almost sounds like he is avoiding surgery.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/18/2004  11:16 AM
Briggs, I said Stro was a realistic grab w/ the MLE and you laughed it off. Trust me, a 6 year, almost $40 mill deal puts significant pressure on Memphis, a team with serious upcoming contract issues of their own. They have yet to resign Gasol. Have the resigned Mike Miller yet? Not to mention they are probably losing Bonzi Wells a guy who was important. Stro is kind of stuck behind Gasol anyhow, they arent the Knicks... a full 6 year MLE commitment to a guy that played 18 minute a game last year is a big deal for them.

For us he's everything we need, an athletic frontcourt 2 way player thats young with upside. If he has to play center I dont care... the Pistons just won a title (against Shaq) with a guy playing center thats probably 2 inches shorter than his lised 6'9.

To me our most realistic shot at improvement is signing Stro to the full MLE. Signing Doleac to the LLE (2-year deal) then moving Nazr to a team like the Jazz (who are desperate for bigs) for the # 21 pick and taking Sato, Pauling or Dorell Wright. Then you look something like this:
pg Marbury
sg Houston
sf TThomas
pf Swift
c KT
bench Doleac, Sweetney, Penny, Frank, pick
trade bait: Harrington, Deke, TSki, Anderson (gotta put him somewhere)

Good mix of size, athleticism, and good depth off the bench.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/18/2004  11:21 AM
Fish...you mentioned the Grizz losing Bonzi (team option for $8M next year). I wonder if the Knicks would be interested in him if his option was not picked up and if Bonzi was willing to sign for the Mid level. I don't think I would hesitate at that.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/18/2004  11:38 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Briggs, I said Stro was a realistic grab w/ the MLE and you laughed it off.

it only makes sense when he suggests it Fish.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/18/2004  7:14 PM
but we kinda need a shooting guard more than a front court player- who knows where houston will be next year- it almost sounds like he is avoiding surgery.

There was another article saying we might trade Harrington to the bobcats for possibly aaron mckie if they pick him.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/18/2004  7:55 PM
i still highly doubt in fishmike, but id much rather talk about the possibility of obtaining a stro swift than mutter any more words about aaaron mckie--frankly that scared the bijibeeebs out of me. the last thing we need is more role player over the hill making a lot of money clarence weatherspoon ring a bell?
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/18/2004  8:40 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Briggs, I said Stro was a realistic grab w/ the MLE and you laughed it off. Trust me, a 6 year, almost $40 mill deal puts significant pressure on Memphis, a team with serious upcoming contract issues of their own. They have yet to resign Gasol. Have the resigned Mike Miller yet? Not to mention they are probably losing Bonzi Wells a guy who was important. Stro is kind of stuck behind Gasol anyhow, they arent the Knicks... a full 6 year MLE commitment to a guy that played 18 minute a game last year is a big deal for them.

For us he's everything we need, an athletic frontcourt 2 way player thats young with upside. If he has to play center I dont care... the Pistons just won a title (against Shaq) with a guy playing center thats probably 2 inches shorter than his lised 6'9.

To me our most realistic shot at improvement is signing Stro to the full MLE. Signing Doleac to the LLE (2-year deal) then moving Nazr to a team like the Jazz (who are desperate for bigs) for the # 21 pick and taking Sato, Pauling or Dorell Wright. Then you look something like this:
pg Marbury
sg Houston
sf TThomas
pf Swift
c KT

fishmike, you are so on the money man, I can count on you to post well, I agree, stro at that price is everything we need but a huge cost for the grizzlies, and I watched stro play and this guy is high energy and athletic, I do think his basketball IQ is not that high, but he is what we need... If we do that and then move naz for a draft pick, this will make all the sense in the world...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/18/2004  8:56 PM
Posted by fishmike:

pg Marbury
sg Houston
sf TThomas
pf Swift
c KT

Yea your pretty much on the money. I would love to trade Nazr for a first rounder but I don't think Utah would trade one to us because I'm hearing that they want to move up in the draft. The 21st pick would be a very nice pick to have. You don't pick Paulding or Sato at 21 because one of them or even both of them will probably be available by the time we are picking with our 2nd rounder. J.R Smith just might drop to 21, that would be a steal. If not Smith we could get one of the few centers available. Danny Ainge has said that he only wants 2 rookies on his roster next year so there is probably a better chance of us getting a first-rounder from the Celtics especially since they are likely going to use Blount (they could use Nazr). Other than that I basically agree with everything you said, I would love to add Stromile for the MLE and I think that there would be a good chance that West decides not to match a 6 year offer.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Knicks Hoping Price is Right - Frank Isola 6-18-04

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy