Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/18/2004  2:46 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17489.htm

ISIAH EYES DEAL WITH BOBCATS

By MARC BERMAN

June 18, 2004 -- Trade talk.
The Knicks could make a bigger killing in the expansion draft Tuesday than the regular draft.

Isiah Thomas confirmed the Knicks are in discussions with the Bobcats about a trade. The Post reported yesterday Isiah had spoken to Charlotte prez Ed Tapscott about trading Othella Harrington, who's in the final year of his contract and whom the Knicks protected, for a player the Bobcats can select in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The Bobcats could also have interest in Dikembe Mutombo, whom the Knicks also protected and is in the last year of his pact, and their second-round pick.

Heading the list of players piquing Isiah's interest is Aaron McKie, who has a long-term deal the Bobcats aren't crazy about.

The Knicks are unsure of their 2-guard position because of Allan Houton's knees. Other notables the Bobcats could pick for the Knicks are Ruben Patterson, Marcus Fizer, Lorenzen Wright and Danny Fortson.

Houston was left unprotected so the Knicks can shop Harrington and Mutombo.

"We spoke with Allan," Thomas said after winning Father-of-The-Year along with Tommy Lasorda and Gen. Richard Myers, "and he was fully supportive of it.

"The only way we can continue to improve our team is through trades. Some of the contracts we have are very tradeable contracts. Strategy-wise, we thought high-priced salary players on the list were a pretty safe risk. We're having discussions with Charlotte and a lot of other teams about trying to improve our talent."

Isiah on Phil Jackson being a free agent, "I love Lenny [Wilkens] as our coach."

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
AUTOADVERT
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
6/18/2004  3:49 AM
I'm excited! I think Isiah will make the Knicks better by the end of next week with the ideas there.
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
6/18/2004  5:25 AM
i personally think wright and then fortson are the best candidates and wright would be the one I would like if available. Although he isnt great and is probably another underchiever that havent met his expectations since he was drafted, i think his skills compliment marbarys quite well. He is a running big man, decent shot, quite athletic for his size and can do a lil of everything.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/18/2004  6:40 AM
Posted by RonRon:

i personally think wright and then fortson are the best candidates and wright would be the one I would like if available. Although he isnt great and is probably another underchiever that havent met his expectations since he was drafted, i think his skills compliment marbarys quite well. He is a running big man, decent shot, quite athletic for his size and can do a lil of everything.

forston is crap. Sweet will 3 times the player danny is.

Wirght ? Why not ? he could help. especially if he replaces harrington.

RonRon
Member: #246
6/18/2004  7:34 AM
i dont really see why the bobcats would take harrington rather than having wright.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/18/2004  7:45 AM
maybe Ed is looking to get the rights to Fred Weis back.

I am still bitter about that draft.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
sandiegoknick
Member: #57
USA
6/18/2004  9:02 AM
Posted by martin:

Amen!!! Ed should take the rights to Fred after that horrible decision -- all I can say is Ron Artest!
Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/18/2004  9:03 AM
Posted by martin:

I still think about that draft everyday of my life, it won't go away
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/18/2004  9:06 AM
forget about Wright...all Isiah needs to do is sign Chris Anderson w/part of the MLE & then hopefully strike a deal w/the Hornets for a young, defensive backup SG.

i'm OK w/Isiah's interest in Aaron McKie or Ruben Patterson even though they are older vets, as long as he has some way of unloading Shandon.

[Edited by - TMS on 06/18/2004 09:06:31]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/18/2004  9:16 AM
Posted by Rich:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17489.htm

ISIAH EYES DEAL WITH BOBCATS

By MARC BERMAN

June 18, 2004 -- Trade talk.
The Knicks could make a bigger killing in the expansion draft Tuesday than the regular draft.

Isiah Thomas confirmed the Knicks are in discussions with the Bobcats about a trade. The Post reported yesterday Isiah had spoken to Charlotte prez Ed Tapscott about trading Othella Harrington, who's in the final year of his contract and whom the Knicks protected, for a player the Bobcats can select in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The Bobcats could also have interest in Dikembe Mutombo, whom the Knicks also protected and is in the last year of his pact, and their second-round pick.

Heading the list of players piquing Isiah's interest is Aaron McKie, who has a long-term deal the Bobcats aren't crazy about.

The Knicks are unsure of their 2-guard position because of Allan Houton's knees. Other notables the Bobcats could pick for the Knicks are Ruben Patterson, Marcus Fizer, Lorenzen Wright and Danny Fortson.

Houston was left unprotected so the Knicks can shop Harrington and Mutombo.

"We spoke with Allan," Thomas said after winning Father-of-The-Year along with Tommy Lasorda and Gen. Richard Myers, "and he was fully supportive of it.

"The only way we can continue to improve our team is through trades. Some of the contracts we have are very tradeable contracts. Strategy-wise, we thought high-priced salary players on the list were a pretty safe risk. We're having discussions with Charlotte and a lot of other teams about trying to improve our talent."

Isiah on Phil Jackson being a free agent, "I love Lenny [Wilkens] as our coach."

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
6/18/2004  9:27 AM
it's pretty simple how to to do it. most teams would be in love with getting rid of a long term expense problem like aaron mckie who is AN aging VET-yet has a huge contract still on the books UNTIL HE IS SOMETHING LIKE 36-37. Isiah offers ending contracts+MONEY to the bobcats the sixers offer a number 1 future pick t the bobcats and the knicks get the vet player.

BUT I WOULD BE SICK IF WE spent that kind of loot and made that type of long term commitment for what I perceive as a marginal player who will be 32 years old before the season starts- and you are committing to that player who has 4 long years on his contract.

thats the only way that gets done the player must be very undesirable to the team to me its a very poor move if it happens.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/18/2004  9:37 AM
Fortson would be a disaster. We have a good undersized rebounder in Sweetney...Fortson might not even be better than Harrington, because he doesnt offer as many flashes of good offense, and has a worse contract. In fact the Grizz are probably interested in Othella because he's a reasonably priced, playable PF who can score, and there are a lack of those on the expansion list. They could use him for one year and let his contract expire or maybe even waive him.

Lorenzen Wright is interesting. He puts up similar numbers to Mohammed (maybe with less points and more shooting). He'd be a duplicate of skills though. I'd rather add a good shooter/rebounder like Doleac for cheaper. Doleac actually played some decent post D this past year too. If Mohammed is to be moved down the line, Wright becomes more intersting.

But I'd ultimately like to add one of those young wing players who were exposed in the draft. Woods, Wallace, Pavlovic, Stevenson....these guys aren't all going to be able to play in Charlotte. I wonder if they would bite on a 2nd round pick+ Harrington. Not likely, but I hope Zeke tries. Forget about McKie, who is old and injury prone...that won't solve our problems.

[Edited by - Vdesai on 06/18/2004 10:17:04]
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  9:37 AM
Isiah can use the same type of reasoning & try to get Charlotte to take Shandon off our hands by offering them a future 1st round pick then if it's as simple as you are making it out to be.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
6/18/2004  9:44 AM
no you dont get it. aaron mckie only becomes a bobcat for a moment and then on to the knicks who are WILLING to absorb that contract.

you see lets say dikembe +cesary+3mm to Charlotte+ philly sends a 2006 number 1 and a little money to charlotte
charlotte chooses mckie and trades him to the knicks

NO team in the NBA wants andersen[which is why he isnt going anywhere] the key is the knicks willingness to take the contract and the sixers willing ness to get rid of the contract. the bobcats simply pick up an additional number 1 pick for almost no cost
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/18/2004  9:45 AM
Posted by TMS:

Isiah can use the same type of reasoning & try to get Charlotte to take Shandon off our hands by offering them a future 1st round pick then if it's as simple as you are making it out to be.

Not really the same kind of situation that BRIGGS is alluding to, because there has to be some third team that wants to be the ultimate destination for the bad contract. Usually we are that destination. Can you name any team in the league that needs and can afford Shandon?
BRIGGS
6/18/2004  9:48 AM
on top of that i dont think there are ANY knick fans who want any part of a 32 year old back up SG who makes 6MM+ a year for 4 more years. anyone want mckie for nothing? NO! it takes up a roster spot. this is almost like the moochie norris trade but worse. we took on 3mm+ in salary long term for moochie who is basically shot and not a winning player but now on the books for 3 more years. this would be worse.
RIP Crushalot😞
mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
6/18/2004  9:50 AM
I thought you had to be under the cap to take a player with a big contract.
In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
BRIGGS
6/18/2004  10:09 AM
all you have to do is trade a contract within 15% of cost

for example deke and cesary are within 15% of cost the extra years dont matter in terms of getting a trade done. its the ability of the teams to meet the rerquirements for 2004-2005 salaries.

no matter what--this is spending a tremendous amount of money over 20MM dollars this is EXACTLY what got Laydumb in trouble

i hope this is rumor only this would really stamp to me that we are going down the wrong path. unless the name is shaq or a cheap role player, i dont want to collect what would be core players who are that old and have contracts that run past 35. I want guys 27-28 and younger unless they cost 1mm.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  10:29 AM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by TMS:

Not really the same kind of situation that BRIGGS is alluding to, because there has to be some third team that wants to be the ultimate destination for the bad contract. Usually we are that destination. Can you name any team in the league that needs and can afford Shandon?

the whole point i made was that i wouldn't mind Aaron McKie or Ruben Patterson IF Isiah could unload Shandon...obviously since that's highly unlikely, i would much rather him trying to get a younger backup option for cheaper.

maybe he can convince the Bobcats to take Trybankski's ending contract along w/some cash considerations in exchange for drafting & sending us Jumaine Jones? he's athletic, good defender & alot cheaper than any of those other guys...& at the more cost of Trybanski & some cash, i think it would be worth it...i think a minor deal like that is very doable.
TMS
USA
6/18/2004  10:30 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

on top of that i dont think there are ANY knick fans who want any part of a 32 year old back up SG who makes 6MM+ a year for 4 more years. anyone want mckie for nothing? NO! it takes up a roster spot. this is almost like the moochie norris trade but worse. we took on 3mm+ in salary long term for moochie who is basically shot and not a winning player but now on the books for 3 more years. this would be worse.

as opposed to keeping a fat, out of shape, totally useless PF who was on the books for 3 more years anyway...why do you always harp on that deal as if it doomed the Knicks' franchise for the next century?
Isiah and Tapscott in trade talks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy