Author Thread
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/2/2015  10:52 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:This was always going to be a combination of building for the future and the present. I don't think anyone expected that we'd simply ignore vets in Free Agency and do a Sixers style rebuild which could take many years to produce results. ..... Present and future both. I don't see how you didn't already know this.

What you are describing is called a "treadmill team" in the NBA.

Good enough to battle for that last playoff spot. Never bad enough to get an impact lottery pick. Never good enough to contend. Just treadmilling enough where your assets in place age and depreciate.

The full on tank now burns out a year of Melo's prime, or what's left of his prime window.

You've never answered the "timetable" question. Mostly because you don't want to answer it or don't have an answer for it.

For the Knicks to be able to actually build a team around Melo that could contend with him on the roster, by the time that happens and those draft picks develop, under even the most ideal of conditions, Melo's contract will likely be over or at the very end.

Point to note, if you look around the NBA, look at the contenders or the teams very close to contention, they all 'took many years to produce results' Many of those teams were products of decisions and personnel moves that date back 5-6 years.

This current tank job wasn't intentional. Please check your happy horse**** about this was all some kind of brilliant design by Zen Master. He actually tried to win this year and took a giant nosedive off a cliff. The tanking was just an extension of not having any other options at this point.

You also seem to miss the biggest point of all. Most of your hack job defense of what the Knicks front office is doing is based on your ball licking of Phil Jackson non stop. Except you wouldn't need a 60 million dollar splash GM and team president to get the Knicks where they are right now.

Melo is like Herschel Walker was on the Cowboys ( except Walker had a work ethic, actually didn't drive off coaches and team mates who could help him, and refrained from saying stupid things to the press) A player who doesn't fit the timetable of what that franchise needs to do, given the time and place and circumstance.

Pretty vanilla comment by Nix. Also, I don't think he ever said that Phil had a plan to tank and on the contrary was had positive thoughts about the roster coming into the season. Seems a bit like you are going after another poster here in my opinion.

Nix if fine.
His blind support and believe in any Knicks leadership is a bit annoying.
Organization sucks for 15 year plain and simple. And Nix was defending them all the way.
New leadership looks better but until they will make this team relevant and watchable not for Clowning sake I will reserve my judgment.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
2/2/2015  11:06 AM
arkrud wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:This was always going to be a combination of building for the future and the present. I don't think anyone expected that we'd simply ignore vets in Free Agency and do a Sixers style rebuild which could take many years to produce results. ..... Present and future both. I don't see how you didn't already know this.

What you are describing is called a "treadmill team" in the NBA.

Good enough to battle for that last playoff spot. Never bad enough to get an impact lottery pick. Never good enough to contend. Just treadmilling enough where your assets in place age and depreciate.

The full on tank now burns out a year of Melo's prime, or what's left of his prime window.

You've never answered the "timetable" question. Mostly because you don't want to answer it or don't have an answer for it.

For the Knicks to be able to actually build a team around Melo that could contend with him on the roster, by the time that happens and those draft picks develop, under even the most ideal of conditions, Melo's contract will likely be over or at the very end.

Point to note, if you look around the NBA, look at the contenders or the teams very close to contention, they all 'took many years to produce results' Many of those teams were products of decisions and personnel moves that date back 5-6 years.

This current tank job wasn't intentional. Please check your happy horse**** about this was all some kind of brilliant design by Zen Master. He actually tried to win this year and took a giant nosedive off a cliff. The tanking was just an extension of not having any other options at this point.

You also seem to miss the biggest point of all. Most of your hack job defense of what the Knicks front office is doing is based on your ball licking of Phil Jackson non stop. Except you wouldn't need a 60 million dollar splash GM and team president to get the Knicks where they are right now.

Melo is like Herschel Walker was on the Cowboys ( except Walker had a work ethic, actually didn't drive off coaches and team mates who could help him, and refrained from saying stupid things to the press) A player who doesn't fit the timetable of what that franchise needs to do, given the time and place and circumstance.

Pretty vanilla comment by Nix. Also, I don't think he ever said that Phil had a plan to tank and on the contrary was had positive thoughts about the roster coming into the season. Seems a bit like you are going after another poster here in my opinion.

Nix if fine.
His blind support and believe in any Knicks leadership is a bit annoying.
Organization sucks for 15 year plain and simple. And Nix was defending them all the way.
New leadership looks better but until they will make this team relevant and watchable not for Clowning sake I will reserve my judgment.

I don't see any place for this especially in regards to Nix comment:

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/2/2015  11:56 AM
We all know that Phil intended to have this team make the playoffs. He tried to give it a go and it didn't work. Even still he wasn't married to the players on this roster and there were going to be changes, just that he hoped there would be FEWER changes and some success this year that he could use to help him lure FA's. Now none of that matters cuz he's taking a different approach and this plan B is something he's talked about since the trade.

I don't see how anything I said was in any way controversial. It was as Crush said, pretty vanilla. No rah rah stuff, just a simple statement of the facts. Phil was from the very start looking to build sustainability but also to try and improve the team for the present. Phil has said that he wants to protect the teams future.

Phil on trades while protecting cap: "What we have to do is protect our future." "We obviously are solicitous of our draft pick."

On the possibility of making a trade, Phil Jackson says he wants to maintain future flexibility and would only deal for a long-term fit.

Now, he said, it is time to restart. “The reality is this is probably the best way to go about this business,” Jackson said.

He added: “To begin, to restart, to do it the right way, and put it together in a way that makes sense. We hope we’re on the right track, even though this is not the track that we anticipated.”

Are there additional moves to come? Jackson said yes. He said he would like to bring “five or six” new players to the team for next season, and he indicated that the team could be active over the next month. He wants players the Knicks can build with. He said that New York remained a destination and that he believed free agents still wanted to come here.

With regard to the coming Free Agency Phil has been hinting at his possible approach.

Phil says NY hasnt been successful at luring stars to NY for decades. Understands many fans want that, but says it may make more sense to build a team in piecemeal fashion. Says it hasn't been done that way in NY before, but says this is the right time.

"We're all worried about the fact that money is not going to just be able to buy you necessary talent. You're going to have to have places where people want to come and play," said Jackson, who signed a five-year contract worth a reported $60 million last March to serve as team president. "But I do think that New York situation holds a high regard in players and agents that have contacted us. We have no lack of agents that have contacted us for their players. We still think that we have a really good chance to develop a team."

Nothing i've seen so far from Phil suggests he's gonna go into some kind of panic mode and repeat the mistakes of the past. He's well aware of those mistakes and to me it seems pretty clear he doesn't intend to do the exact same thing. People can get nasty with me for my usually positive take, but that doesn't mean it isn't founded in fact and backed up by some evidence provided by Phil himself. Just looking at the young players he's trying to add as well as vets it seems clear that it's a dual approach and not just win now at any cost approach. Don't understand the panic, negativity and assumption that it's the same old Knicks Star Search, sacrificing the future for the present. Nothing Phil's said suggests that.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

2/2/2015  1:06 PM
The Plan B approach is what's in question

Melo's and Fish's comments are very suspicious

And no Nix's Vanilla's comments are once again mired in

"I know what they're thinking and doing, it's all gonna work out WTF calm down"

Which is no different than how he started the past summer off

nixluva
USA
2/2/2015  1:13 PM
F500ONE wrote:The Plan B approach is what's in question

Please point out the comments I made in my post that back up what you just said. I just posted the exact comments Phil has actually made and the reason I posted what I did. They seems to match up pretty well. No where did I say that there was a guarantee of success. I do however think the approach Phil says he's going to take is a good one for our situation. Explain what is wrong with what Phil is hinting at doing or has done so far after the reset. Seems to me he's taking a patient and thorough approach to things. What supports the panic you're trying to start with this thread?
arkrud
USA
2/2/2015  3:38 PM
nixluva wrote:

Please point out the comments I made in my post that back up what you just said. I just posted the exact comments Phil has actually made and the reason I posted what I did. They seems to match up pretty well. No where did I say that there was a guarantee of success. I do however think the approach Phil says he's going to take is a good one for our situation. Explain what is wrong with what Phil is hinting at doing or has done so far after the reset. Seems to me he's taking a patient and thorough approach to things. What supports the panic you're trying to start with this thread?

There is no panic but there is nothing to jump for joy also.
If Melo is the part of the future - this future must be next season or if we get lucky the season after.
If we are going to rebuild normally as any other NBA team did - Melo is just MSG ticket magnet interim.
Seriously who will watch this team without him.
We need another big name ASAP along with one of 5 top picks.
If we will not be able to get ether one and will stay the course Melo will be our Stat reduce.
Nothing wrong about.
The only problem I see if Dolan will panic again and pressure Phil to get some more Tyson/Felton/Bargs stuff on-board to not have melo all-alone.... Hopefully this will not happened.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/2/2015  3:52 PM
nixluva
USA
2/2/2015  4:04 PM
arkrud wrote:
nixluva wrote:

There is no panic but there is nothing to jump for joy also.
If Melo is the part of the future - this future must be next season or if we get lucky the season after.
If we are going to rebuild normally as any other NBA team did - Melo is just MSG ticket magnet interim.
Seriously who will watch this team without him.
We need another big name ASAP along with one of 5 top picks.
If we will not be able to get ether one and will stay the course Melo will be our Stat reduce.
Nothing wrong about.
The only problem I see if Dolan will panic again and pressure Phil to get some more Tyson/Felton/Bargs stuff on-board to not have melo all-alone.... Hopefully this will not happened.

No one is jumping for joy. I think this trope is just so overplayed. Yes I have a more positive take than most, but it's not like i'm saying we're guaranteed to win a title. I just don't think things are as bad as some do. I think we have good options to improve and I think Phil is looking at this rebuild the right way, based on his own words and actions so far. Phil saw things weren't working and he changed course. He's gotten some good results from that move.

IMO Melo's game is the kind of game that should age well. He's not reliant on pure athletic ability. He's got a below the rim game and those kind of guys tend to last longer. Even with his knee issues he's still been effective and so I'm hopeful that he can get his knee cleaned up and come back fine. Again, no guarantees, but just a reasonable assumption given how he's still been effective playing on a knee that is giving him pain.

As for big names I posted all of the PJax quotes for a reason, but it seems that it's not being paid attention to. He has made very reasonable statements about how he intends to rebuild the roster. He was clear that he didn't think he needed to rest all of his hopes on landing a big name. I don't know what else he can do at this point to make that more clear. Only time will prove what he does after the the deadline and after the draft.

If Dolan tried to interfere I believe Phil would quit. I think he has a plan for how he wants to go about things and Dolan will have to be patient. Dolan said he brought Phil in so that he didn't have to interfere and I actually believe him.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
2/2/2015  6:28 PM
So far Phil's "plan" has been a colossal failure, doesnt mean it will continue to be. But it really doesnt look good for the future when both the coach and star player are talking like time is ticking. it is, but bad news that they openly are commenting about it.
foosballnick
Member: #3148

2/2/2015  7:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2015  7:40 PM
knickscity wrote:So far Phil's "plan" has been a colossal failure, doesnt mean it will continue to be. But it really doesnt look good for the future when both the coach and star player are talking like time is ticking. it is, but bad news that they openly are commenting about it.

Apparently you've chosen to see only bad news coming in potential future moves. one could alternatively look at this year as a departure of what w as done in the past. There was failure in Plan A and instead of trading to acquire bad contracts to try and continue to win.... they went to plan B. Also in 2010, picks were given up just to get rid of guys to clear space. Not so this time.

As far as the quotes from Fish and Melo, what would you expect them to say when the media asks a bating question? Should Fish have said that the Knicks were going to build the right way but it might take five years. Thats not how Q&A works.....coaches and players talk in cliches and say a few things that won't get then or the team into a media frenzy.

nixluva
USA
2/2/2015  7:56 PM
knickscity wrote:So far Phil's "plan" has been a colossal failure, doesnt mean it will continue to be. But it really doesnt look good for the future when both the coach and star player are talking like time is ticking. it is, but bad news that they openly are commenting about it.

I just don't think you guys are even trying to pay attention to what Phil has actually said and he's the one that matters most. IS FISH OR MELO THE GM??? NO!!! I just posted a bevy of actual quotes from Phil himself and still you guys keep spouting this BULL ISH which is lacking any kind of perspective or sense of reason. It's not only wrong but tiresome to keep reading the garbage that keeps getting posted no matter what Phil actually does or says.

How about we stop with the stupid ass posting of nonsense and actually stick to what Phil has said and done starting with the trade.

Phil on trades while protecting cap: "What we have to do is protect our future." "We obviously are solicitous of our draft pick."

On the possibility of making a trade, Phil Jackson says he wants to maintain future flexibility and would only deal for a long-term fit.

Now, he said, it is time to restart. “The reality is this is probably the best way to go about this business,” Jackson said.

He added: “To begin, to restart, to do it the right way, and put it together in a way that makes sense. We hope we’re on the right track, even though this is not the track that we anticipated.”

Are there additional moves to come? Jackson said yes. He said he would like to bring “five or six” new players to the team for next season, and he indicated that the team could be active over the next month. He wants players the Knicks can build with. He said that New York remained a destination and that he believed free agents still wanted to come here.

Phil says NY hasnt been successful at luring stars to NY for decades. Understands many fans want that, but says it may make more sense to build a team in piecemeal fashion. Says it hasn't been done that way in NY before, but says this is the right time.

"We're all worried about the fact that money is not going to just be able to buy you necessary talent. You're going to have to have places where people want to come and play," said Jackson, who signed a five-year contract worth a reported $60 million last March to serve as team president. "But I do think that New York situation holds a high regard in players and agents that have contacted us. We have no lack of agents that have contacted us for their players. We still think that we have a really good chance to develop a team."

So now from here on if anyone else continues to just ignore these statements and posts some more BS, we know that you just have an agenda that isn't fact driven or reasonable in any sense. This doesn't mean you have to believe he's going to be successful, but to just spout more trash about him repeating some Star Search or giving away our draft pick for nothing as in the past is without merit. He's saying that he isn't looking to do that.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/2/2015  8:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2015  8:20 PM
foosballnick wrote:

Apparently you've chosen to see only bad news coming in potential future moves. one could alternatively look at this year as a departure of what w as done in the past. There was failure in Plan A and instead of trading to acquire bad contracts to try and continue to win.... they went to plan B. Also in 2010, picks were given up just to get rid of guys to clear space. Not so this time.

As far as the quotes from Fish and Melo, what would you expect them to say when the media asks a bating question? Should Fish have said that the Knicks were going to build the right way but it might take five years. Thats not how Q&A works.....coaches and players talk in cliches and say a few things that won't get then or the team into a media frenzy.

You can't look at past years. There are no recent precedents for this situation: .200 and having our own draft pick.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/2/2015  8:58 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
foosballnick wrote:

You can't look at past years. There are no recent precedents for this situation: .200 and having our own draft pick.
Also a team president that was given total control.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/2/2015  9:05 PM
If were are not tanking on purpose, than what exactly does that say about the future
ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/2/2015  10:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:If were are not tanking on purpose, than what exactly does that say about the future

Nothing.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

2/2/2015  10:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:If were are not tanking on purpose, than what exactly does that say about the future

That when we have a team with bad players, they play bad basketball?
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
nixluva
USA
2/2/2015  11:53 PM

Phil basically pulled the plug on the season but the Knicks didn't have to actually try to tank in order to be in the running for the top pick. Even with the wins the team is still in the running for the top pick. It's also important to continue to develop players and to establish a culture with the time remaining. It's clear that the process is starting to take hold since the trade and that's a good thing.

We can't control which pick we end up with but Phil can continue to look for role players who can be part of the franchise going forward. We still have the Trade Deadline, the Draft and Free Agency ahead of us. It's an ongoing process to find and develop talent so there's no reason to panic about comments from Fish and Melo at this point. As I keep stressing the point that Phil has made numerous statement about how he envisions remaking this team. He hasn't been talking like a man looking to blow all assets simply to land one big name player.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/3/2015  8:11 AM
Wow. And they tell me I need to up my meds.

nix, did you really have to kill his puppy and bury it in his front lawn?

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/3/2015  8:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2015  9:03 AM
Columbo

TripleThreat has an incredible gift to separate meaningless words from facts. As we depend upon biased, third hand reporting for information, it limits the amount of critical thinking that is invested in talking franchise theory. TripleThreat Franchise Theory reminds us of these 3 facts:

- if Phil Jackson stays three more years, it will be a miracle. He will be pushing 75.

- in two years, by the time our "sure thing" first round draft pick has his sea legs, Carmelo Anthony will be 33 years old and living in the trainers room. (there are no guarantees with draft picks or free agents.)

“We’re not going to punch all the right buttons in the process of doing this. But we’re looking for multiple talents, drive, intelligence, guys that will play defense. We hope to develop a team, and there are a lot of agents out there looking to find a good spot for their players.” - Phil Jackson

- The Atlanta Hawks were built over two decades of mistakes.

once a knick always a knick
arkrud
USA
2/3/2015  10:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2015  10:11 AM
misterearl wrote:Columbo

TripleThreat has an incredible gift to separate meaningless words from facts. As we depend upon biased, third hand reporting for information, it limits the amount of critical thinking that is invested in talking franchise theory. TripleThreat Franchise Theory reminds us of these 3 facts:

- if Phil Jackson stays three more years, it will be a miracle. He will be pushing 75.

- in two years, by the time our "sure thing" first round draft pick has his sea legs, Carmelo Anthony will be 33 years old and living in the trainers room. (there are no guarantees with draft picks or free agents.)

“We’re not going to punch all the right buttons in the process of doing this. But we’re looking for multiple talents, drive, intelligence, guys that will play defense. We hope to develop a team, and there are a lot of agents out there looking to find a good spot for their players.” - Phil Jackson

- The Atlanta Hawks were built over two decades of mistakes.

Hard to disagree... but there is one interesting thing in the world called variance.
It is wild and one always have a chance to win the NY lottery jackpot or being hit by meteor in the head.
so far NY fans were bitten by space stones to submission... it is time to win the lottery.
When... variance tells in 1 to 100 years from now this is entirely possible.

Carmelo 30yrs Old And Rebuilding In the Short Term

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy