[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: Knicks Still Alive in 'Sheed Chase (I doubt it)
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/17/2004  3:47 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17453.htm

KNICKS STILL ALIVE IN 'SHEED CHASE

By MARC BERMAN

June 17, 2004 -- Even while basking in the glow of an NBA championship, even as he became prince of Motown, the final piece to Detroit's championship puzzle, Rasheed Wallace maintained that his wife and kids will make the final decision on whether he will re-sign with the Pistons as a free agent.

So the Knicks still are in the game, although ever so slightly. As the celebration carried on inside the Pistons' locker room Tuesday night, Bill Strickland, Wallace's agent, was asked by The Post if Wallace still will consider the Knicks come July 1, The agent said, "Perhaps, given how hard he tried to get there before he got here."

The 6-11 Wallace wouldn't commit to Detroit because it's not his call.

"I have to talk it over with my wife, talk it over with my kids and get their input," Wallace said. "If it's a situation or something here they don't like or they see shaky, I have to take all of that into consideration. I think my family has the biggest say of it all. But don't get me wrong. I think they are a great group of guys that I'm playing with, but my family, they are going to have that last decision."

The Knicks were once his No. 1 choice, but Isiah Thomas did not have the pawns after the Stephon Marbury blockbuster to entice Portland. And Isiah surely did not have the expiring contracts to attract Atlanta at February's trading deadline. In all, the Knicks may have a better chance at Piston spare big man, Mehmet Okur.

Strickland hasn't spoken to Wallace about free agency since the playoffs began, not wanting to distract him.

If it were up to Wallace, he'd stay. But he wants his wife, Fatima, to like the area. She and their four kids, including an infant daughter, have yet to live in Detroit. They stayed back in Portland.

"She didn't have time and the kids were in school," Strickland said. "She had a daughter in March."

The Knicks can only offer him the $5 million mid-level exception for two years and then re-sign him to a deal starting at $9M. Or more conventionally, they can offer him a maximum length six-year mid-level deal, totaling $37.5M. The Knicks can only hope Detroit tries to squeeze him on number of years. As far as a sign-and-trade, Pistons prez Joe Dumars is not champing at the bit for Kurt Thomas.

With champagne misting in the steambath of a locker room, Dumars sounded as if Wallace were signed, sealed and delivered.

"We're going to be a year wiser, we're going to be better," Dumars said.

Asked if that means Wallace will return, Dumars said, "I think this is a pretty good selling point. I don't have any beautiful speeches to give him like, 'Hey, the weather's great here, we got some nice sights.' He's won a world championship. What can you sell a guy more on than that, someone who's been a big part of it."

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/17/2004  8:53 AM
Don' you love how a player can say one little thing like "my family will make the decision" or "I am going to test free agency" and that gets translated into NY having a chance at grabbing guys who clearly are not going anywhere?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/17/2004  9:28 AM
Sheed is one of the least predictable guys in the league, so I'm not gonna shut the door, but the press needs a story, so they're gonna keep pushing the door open. Every summer we have someone thats inevitbly on our radar but unattainable that the press keeps shoving down our throats (Webber, Nesterovic, Van Exel Brian Grant etc.).

radu
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #349
Romania
6/17/2004  10:38 AM
there's also his agent's words:
Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace, who becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1, still wants to play for the Knicks, his agent, Bill Strickland, said yesterday.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spphil0616,0,1283206.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines
.:: KNICKSONLINE.COM ::.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/17/2004  10:59 AM
Imagine if we can sign Sheed and then do a sign and trade for Dampier. We would then be all set to make a run at the Finals.

Dampier
Wallace
T.Thomas
Houston
Marbury

Getting Rasheed alone though would still be a big accomplishment. I have faith in Isiah.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/18/2004  2:48 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/17502.htm

ISIAH: I'LL APPLY PRESS ON 'SHEED

By MARC BERMAN

June 18, 2004 -- Knick President Isiah Thomas yesterday fired a warning shot at his former teammate, Detroit GM Joe Dumars: Expect a battle for free-agent Rasheed Wallace.

Thomas tried to bite his tongue when asked if it was a good sign the 6-foot-11 Wallace did not proclaim he'd be back as a Piston, even after winning the championship.

But in the end, Thomas gave away his intentions about going full-bore after Wallace, who, along with Kobe Bryant, are the two biggest fish in the free-agent derby that begins July 1.

"Over these next couple of days, it is Detroit's shining moment," Thomas told The Post. "And I will respect their shining moment and let them have their peace before I try to cause holy hell for them."

While Thomas made his remarks after being feted as a Father of the Year recipient, Dumars was hailed as Executive of the Year as the Pistons held their championship parade.

Thomas also has interest in the Pistons' backup power forward, restricted free agent Mehmet Okur.

Thomas said he will make runs at Bryant and Wallace, but cautioned the free-agent period may only serve as a way for the Knicks to plug holes and not add a blockbuster talent.

"A guy like Kobe would be great, but you're not always looking for that," Thomas said. "I think you're also looking at the small pieces to add to the team to make it better."

Thomas indicated one of those pieces is Nugget free-agent center Marcus Camby, who loved playing for the Knicks and whom Thomas drafted with Toronto.

However, according to a Nugget insider, Denver won't let Camby go to the Knicks for the $5 million mid-level exception.

Two other ex-Knick big men are known to be on Thomas' free-agent short list — Antonio McDyess, who had a strong finish in Phoenix, and Michael Doleac, whom Thomas tried to claim off waivers after he shipped him in the Tim Thomas blockbuster.

Bryant told The Post he'll pay the Knicks a recruiting visit if Thomas invites him.

Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, said he'll likely have interest in talking to the Knicks since he wanted to be traded there in midseason.

"Hope springs eternal," coach Lenny Wilkens said. "I'm an optimist. I'm sure it will weigh heavy on him [winning a title]. He had a great year there. They won a championship. Every player aspires to that. It's going to be difficult."

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/18/2004  6:57 PM
if we cant get rasheed, id love to go after camby
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/18/2004  8:58 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

if we cant get rasheed, id love to go after camby

Same here. Like Sheed however, I doubt Camby ends up here.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
NY Post: Knicks Still Alive in 'Sheed Chase (I doubt it)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy