[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

potential new number 1 target in free agency
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/2/2015  6:07 PM
I'm not saying number 1 like wed be getting kd I'm saying potential number 1 value free agent who also has significant upside. A Dragic or a Knight will cost 14mm plus. I don't think they are of the same relative value. I think if we sign anjica for 5mm and resign smith for 4 with appropriate 4acquisitions will be straight.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

2/2/2015  6:21 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I'm not saying number 1 like wed be getting kd I'm saying potential number 1 value free agent who also has significant upside. A Dragic or a Knight will cost 14mm plus. I don't think they are of the same relative value. I think if we sign anjica for 5mm and resign smith for 4 with appropriate 4acquisitions will be straight.

You were doing so good until you mentioned Smith. With Ajinca there really isn't a need for "Junior Bargs". Honestly, I don't think he will cost that much money. The good thing is that N.O. only has his early bird rights so they can only go as high as 175% of the avg nba's salary.2014-15 NBA Player Contracts

2014-15 Salary Cap: $63,065,000

Average Salary: $4,116,185

So, regardless the Knicks can easily out pay the Pelicans while staying under $6M.

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

2/2/2015  6:30 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I'm not saying number 1 like wed be getting kd I'm saying potential number 1 value free agent who also has significant upside. A Dragic or a Knight will cost 14mm plus. I don't think they are of the same relative value. I think if we sign anjica for 5mm and resign smith for 4 with appropriate 4acquisitions will be straight.

You were doing so good until you mentioned Smith. With Ajinca there really isn't a need for "Junior Bargs". Honestly, I don't think he will cost that much money. The good thing is that N.O. only has his early bird rights so they can only go as high as 175% of the avg nba's salary.2014-15 NBA Player Contracts

So, regardless the Knicks can easily out pay the Pelicans while staying under $6M.

Idk ...

I me be softening on Smith

I think that I may be seeing a bit of what Phil envisions ... LOL ... seriously. He has been playing much better and moving closer and closer to behind the arc.

I think the guy has potential to be efficient if he moves some/most of those long 2's to short 3's.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
yellowboy90

2/2/2015  6:48 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

I think that I may be seeing a bit of what Phil envisions ... LOL ... seriously. He has been playing much better and moving closer and closer to behind the arc.

I think the guy has potential to be efficient if he moves some/most of those long 2's to short 3's.

He might has a chance to be efficient but he still doesn't rebound or play any defense. I do not want bigs that do not rebound or play defense unless they are highly extremely super extraordinarily efficient.

callmened
Member: #4234

2/2/2015  6:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2015  6:56 PM
A. Ajinca is GARBAGE!!! a walking foul machine. lol. stop reaching dude. lol. hes a nice player to have off the bench and i wouldnt mind getting him for cheap but lets not call him a #1 free agent target. lol
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
mreinman

2/2/2015  6:57 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

He might has a chance to be efficient but he still doesn't rebound or play any defense. I do not want bigs that do not rebound or play defense unless they are highly extremely super extraordinarily efficient.

defense has been better lately and he has also been racking up the assists.

yellowboy90

2/2/2015  7:11 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

I'll see how he closes and do not mind being wrong but check out his recent game log efficiency. I will say he has been banging and hedging on the high pnrs like a champ recently but a few games here and there is not enough to sway me right now.

mreinman

2/2/2015  7:41 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

I'll see how he closes and do not mind being wrong but check out his recent game log efficiency. I will say he has been banging and hedging on the high pnrs like a champ recently but a few games here and there is not enough to sway me right now.

I'm like you ... hope that I was wrong about him.

Calderon is also starting to play much better but that I expected.

yellowboy90

2/2/2015  7:58 PM
hopefully other teams are seeing and phil trades them both for some 2nd rd picks.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/2/2015  8:01 PM
What="yellowboy90"]

What I envision out of the 5 for next year would be anjica smith and a secondary draft pick from rd 2. If not I'll pay up for a premium of like millsap

RIP Crushalot😞
Finestrg
Member: #1069

2/2/2015  8:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2015  3:27 AM
If we're saying Ajinca costs anywhere from $4-7mm per, how much do you guys think Lavoy Allen would cost? Around the same? Like Ajinca, Allen will be an UFA...I understand one's a C and the other's basically a PF (maybe we target both?) but I think if you project out the numbers in a starting role, Allen might come closer to producing 15 & 10. Tell me this guy doesn't remind you of Kurt Thomas? Same body, same game basically -- he'll bang inside like Kurt, similar ability to score on the block (nothing great but effective), both above average rebounders and both are very good shooters in the mid-range. I think this guy Allen may actually have a little more offensive ability than Kurt had to be honest. Maybe something along the lines of Jordan Hill production-wise (a little heavier/less agile but equally as effective?). In 21 mins per, Allen's currently putting up 6.5 ppg/6.5 rpg. Give this guy 30 mins per, he'd easily average a double/double.

Curious what you guys think Lavoy Allen and Jeff Withey would both cost and produce.

I know we all want Okafor and he would solve a lot of our problems but I just can't count on getting him. I've been proceeding like we won't get him when trying to flesh out/formulate a go-ahead plan. Honestly, I hope the Knicks are planning accordingly as well. So say for argument's sake, no Okafor (and then say no Towns or Cauley-Stein also -- say we go for a guard in the draft). Where's that leave us in terms of improving the frontcourt/improving the team as a whole?

Where would all your wish lists start and end for the frontcourt?

• Enes Kanter for the max? I don't think he'd mind leaving Utah + I don't think Utah wants to pay him the max = attainable/one of our best options.
• Lamarcus Aldridge for the max? Won't want to leave Portland.
• Overpay for DeAndre Jordan? Won't want to leave the LAC.
• A competitive offer for Paul Millsap ($8-12mm per)? ATL's really clicking this year -- would he want to leave a good thing? Likewise, would the Hawks want to lose him? He's good but I don't love this guy anyway.
• Marc Gasol -- truthfully I'd hate to give this guy max dollars.
• Greg Monroe - ditto Gasol.
-----------------
Say these options aren't feasible/probable -- then who?
What's the next tier of big-man targets for us?
• JaMychal Green
• A combo of Ajinca + Lavoy Allen (+ a max offer to Brandon Knight + D'Angelo Russell in the draft)? Getting ahead of myself a little bit but that's not a bad 4-player retool around Melo. Frontcourt would still be lacking a bit. Ideally, I think we need a top frontcourt centerpiece, then guys like Ajinca/Allen to fill in.
• Offer a contract to Thomas Robinson partially based on potential (like Ajinca/Allen)? Might be a better buy over Millsap if we want that type of player. Maturity issues aside, this dude's athletic & plays hard. Hasn't done much in the NBA yet but there's still a lot of upside here.
• Omer Asik
• Dante Cunnigham
• Dwight Powell - Dallas holds a team option on him for next year. If they pass on him, I'd grab him with no hesitation. If not, I'd like to see us try to deal for him.
• Jeff Withey - could be a big-time rim-protector if given the minutes.
• Robin Lopez - he's OK but I wouldn't want to overpay for this guy.
• Kosta Koufos - useful but not as good a pro as he was a college player imo.
• Jeff Ayres (Pendergraph)
• Jason Smith
-----------------
Then we have the lower level big-man FA talent that should warrant some consideration:
• Greg Smith
• Justin Hamilton -- MIA RFA but they'll have to pay Hassan Whiteside among other expenditures. Plus he's got the heart condition which may give Riley pause. If his health checks out, this dude's big/skilled and would come cheap.
• Khem Birch
• Jerrelle Benimon - Slightly undersized and doesn't appear overly athletic but has very good all-around skills for a PF -- score/finish/shoot/rebound plus some surprising ball-handling & passing skills for a guy 6'8"/245. Intriguing alternative over a Paul Millsap/Thomas Robinson.
• Richard Howell
• Daniel Orton
• Earl Barron
• Cole Aldrich
• Willie Reed
• Arinze Onuaku
• Orlando Sanchez

A lot depends on who we draft but at least it's good to know we'll have options. Quite a few good ones actually.

TPercy
Member: #5748

2/2/2015  9:33 PM
Smith is not a starting player, that is the problem, his solid jumpshot and ability to spread the floor as well as get a few dimes would be very helpful off the bench in the longrun.If we signed a quality big to start over him then I think he can do fine here.
The Future is Bright!
Finestrg

2/2/2015  10:12 PM
TPercy wrote:Smith is not a starting player, that is the problem, his solid jumpshot and ability to spread the floor as well as get a few dimes would be very helpful off the bench in the longrun.If we signed a quality big to start over him then I think he can do fine here.

He's played much better over the past 7-8 games or so, much closer to the Jason Smith we saw play for New Orleans. His grit, toughness and shot-blocking has resurfaced...Still, I think we could do better for a backup/spot-starting 4/5-man.

TPercy
Member: #5748

2/2/2015  10:24 PM
Finestrg wrote:
TPercy wrote:Smith is not a starting player, that is the problem, his solid jumpshot and ability to spread the floor as well as get a few dimes would be very helpful off the bench in the longrun.If we signed a quality big to start over him then I think he can do fine here.

He's played much better over the past 7-8 games or so, much closer to the Jason Smith we saw play for New Orleans. His grit, toughness and shot-blocking has resurfaced...Still, I think we could do better for a backup/spot-starting 4/5-man.

I honestly don't to be frank. Bigs are quite expensive in the league and there arnt that many cheap ones that can consistently hit that jumper like he can. I mean sure we could add another one and move him to 3rd string or whatever but what he brings is going to be very helpful to us.

The Future is Bright!
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
2/3/2015  4:48 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

And that is exactly why I am on the Karl Towns bandwagon. The role that Jason Smith is playing right now would easily get dominated by Towns. His outside shot, passing ability not to mention the rebounding and shot blocking would be a perfect match in the triangle. If we somehow got Gasol, a Gasol/Towns/Melo lead team might take the league by storm next season.

I bleed orange and blue for life.
Finestrg

2/3/2015  7:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2015  8:27 AM
TPercy wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

I honestly don't to be frank. Bigs are quite expensive in the league and there arnt that many cheap ones that can consistently hit that jumper like he can. I mean sure we could add another one and move him to 3rd string or whatever but what he brings is going to be very helpful to us.

Take a look a Lavoy Allen's numbers -- nothing Earth-shattering but his numbers are better right across the board in the same amount of playing time (around 20 mins.). More efficient FG% (closer to that 50% mark you'd expect from a big man), better FT shooter (Allen also gets to the line more), much better rebounder, more blocks...Jason Smith really hasn't had a great year for us. Dude's been MIA for the longest time. I like Smith, glad to see that he's finally showed up to play (looks like he's trying to incorporate the 3-ball into his attack now a little bit and as of recently & he's definitely started playing harder/tougher) but I think there are better options. For the amount of money we're probably talking about for a 2nd line primary backup big-man (4/5), I think Allen's the better choice even if he might cost a tad more. Alexis Ajinca as well...As for 3rd string bigs, I think there are better options here too; guys that would cost less than Smith. Just mho.

mreinman

2/3/2015  9:55 AM
Finestrg wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

Take a look a Lavoy Allen's numbers -- nothing Earth-shattering but his numbers are better right across the board in the same amount of playing time (around 20 mins.). More efficient FG% (closer to that 50% mark you'd expect from a big man), better FT shooter (Allen also gets to the line more), much better rebounder, more blocks...Jason Smith really hasn't had a great year for us. Dude's been MIA for the longest time. I like Smith, glad to see that he's finally showed up to play (looks like he's trying to incorporate the 3-ball into his attack now a little bit and as of recently & he's definitely started playing harder/tougher) but I think there are better options. For the amount of money we're probably talking about for a 2nd line primary backup big-man (4/5), I think Allen's the better choice even if he might cost a tad more. Alexis Ajinca as well...As for 3rd string bigs, I think there are better options here too; guys that would cost less than Smith. Just mho.

Not efficient for a big ... 51.7 TS% is very unimpressive. His rebounds per 36 is excellent though, and his WS48 was better last year but very solid this year.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/3/2015  10:00 AM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

I'm like you ... hope that I was wrong about him.

Calderon is also starting to play much better but that I expected.

Im with both of you guys.. not quite ready to annoit JSmith a good player, but Im sure glad he's playing better and looking more like Phil imagined he would fit here.

Right now he looks a lot like Doleac to me, better passer, not quite the rebounder but an OK role player.

Calderon is looking much better also. Should be an interesting deadline

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/3/2015  11:53 AM
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

And that is exactly why I am on the Karl Towns bandwagon. The role that Jason Smith is playing right now would easily get dominated by Towns. His outside shot, passing ability not to mention the rebounding and shot blocking would be a perfect match in the triangle. If we somehow got Gasol, a Gasol/Towns/Melo lead team might take the league by storm next season.

This is one scenario whereby if we don't get the first overall (assuming that would be Okafor) and Towns turned into a player he is capable of being, I would love. You have 2 post players who fit the triangle perfectly in Gasol and Melo, and Towns who can spread the floor and is agile enough on defense. Part 2 of that plan would be to bring in a Matthews type. Gasol, Towns, Melo, Matthews, Gallo. I'd love that team.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mreinman

2/3/2015  11:56 AM
martin wrote:
KEEPCAMBYNY wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Idk ...

This is one scenario whereby if we don't get the first overall (assuming that would be Okafor) and Towns turned into a player he is capable of being, I would love. You have 2 post players who fit the triangle perfectly in Gasol and Melo, and Towns who can spread the floor and is agile enough on defense. Part 2 of that plan would be to bring in a Matthews type. Gasol, Towns, Melo, Matthews, Gallo. I'd love that team.

dream team!

potential new number 1 target in free agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy