[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Robert Covington
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

2/1/2015  1:29 AM
Should we look into pursuing him? He seems to have a Robert Horry skillset, which would work well with Melo. Even better, he is locked into a 4 year/$4 million deal, which is great value for a rotation player. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
alwaysaknick
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #5711

2/1/2015  2:37 AM
Of course it's great to have him but the Sixers have explicitly stated that Cov is within their plan and is unavailable for trade even mcw is put by Hinkn the trade block.

Also, what the Knicks can offer?

NardDogNation

2/1/2015  1:08 PM
alwaysaknick wrote:Of course it's great to have him but the Sixers have explicitly stated that Cov is within their plan and is unavailable for trade even mcw is put by Hinkn the trade block.

I'd be willing to ante up Hardaway for Covington and a pick. It's a dangerous move but I feel like a 2 guard can easily be replaced in free agency for us.

knickscity
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4241
USA
2/1/2015  1:20 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
alwaysaknick wrote:Of course it's great to have him but the Sixers have explicitly stated that Cov is within their plan and is unavailable for trade even mcw is put by Hinkn the trade block.

I'd be willing to ante up Hardaway for Covington and a pick. It's a dangerous move but I feel like a 2 guard can easily be replaced in free agency for us.

RC is a better player than Timmy imo, not sure why they would offer a pick.
NardDogNation

2/1/2015  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  1:31 PM
knickscity wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Covington has largely flown under the radar, so teams haven't been zeroing in on him. Time will tell how he adjusts to that when they do. Hardaway is going through that now and we've all seen how he has struggled during parts of this season. The fact that Covington has not gone through that same process makes me uneasy because we could very well be trading for a flash in the pan. I'd love to take the risk though albeit at a lower price.

DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

2/1/2015  1:37 PM
NardDogNation wrote:Should we look into pursuing him? He seems to have a Robert Horry skillset, which would work well with Melo. Even better, he is locked into a 4 year/$4 million deal, which is great value for a rotation player. Thoughts?

I like his versatility, love this guy in ny
But don't wanna part with higher draft picks at all ..

If he has a contract, the wait may still be too long

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

2/1/2015  1:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  1:41 PM
Let's see. We could have an even better player with Cleanthony Early. I'm a big Covington guy since last year--love his game--but he's on Philly now. We had opportunities to grab this guy and passed -- Philly likes him & rightly so--he's been solid for them and should only continue to get better. To trade him now that he's established himself, they'd want ample compensation back in return: either a draft pick or he'd have to come as part of a larger trade. I don't see either happening with us. The Sixers were once rumored to be interested in Stoudemire but I don't see that at all -- for one thing STAT's hurt and has minimal value now and 2nd, why would they add a big expiring vet player at this point and risk their draft position? For a few more wins they may come up with adding STAT (provided he can even play anytime soon)?? Make no sense for them...They're doing exactly what they should be doing right now -- developing their young talent win or lose while maintaining their top lottery draft positioning.

I haven't been too high on Early thus far but maybe he's on the verge of turning the corner with the 2 good performances for Westchester back to back. My whole thing with Early -- just be aggressive young fella. I wanna see young guys come in here and play their asses off and have a mindset to just go out and take it. I hate it when I see guys playing passive. Early, for the most part, played passively when he was with the Knicks -- that's probably what got him demoted. He would rarely look to make a move and looked content to just hand the ball off out high most times. These 2 games in the DL though he's looked better. Hasn't shot it well in either game but he's been much more aggressive and has had an impact. Hopefully he continues to grow now. An active/aggressive Early can definitely help the Knicks eventually.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

2/1/2015  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  1:47 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

Whatever we wind up doing with THJ (whether he's dealt or we keep him around), I definitely agree with you here -- we can definitely go out and revamp the entire SG spot for next year in FA, even for minimal money. I can name a good 4-5 legit 2Gs that would come for minimum money that I'd argue are better than Hardaway.

NardDogNation

2/1/2015  2:50 PM
Finestrg wrote:Let's see. We could have an even better player with Cleanthony Early. I'm a big Covington guy since last year--love his game--but he's on Philly now. We had opportunities to grab this guy and passed -- Philly likes him & rightly so--he's been solid for them and should only continue to get better. To trade him now that he's established himself, they'd want ample compensation back in return: either a draft pick or he'd have to come as part of a larger trade. I don't see either happening with us. The Sixers were once rumored to be interested in Stoudemire but I don't see that at all -- for one thing STAT's hurt and has minimal value now and 2nd, why would they add a big expiring vet player at this point and risk their draft position? For a few more wins they may come up with adding STAT (provided he can even play anytime soon)?? Make no sense for them...They're doing exactly what they should be doing right now -- developing their young talent win or lose while maintaining their top lottery draft positioning.

I haven't been too high on Early thus far but maybe he's on the verge of turning the corner with the 2 good performances for Westchester back to back. My whole thing with Early -- just be aggressive young fella. I wanna see young guys come in here and play their asses off and have a mindset to just go out and take it. I hate it when I see guys playing passive. Early, for the most part, played passively when he was with the Knicks -- that's probably what got him demoted. He would rarely look to make a move and looked content to just hand the ball off out high most times. These 2 games in the DL though he's looked better. Hasn't shot it well in either game but he's been much more aggressive and has had an impact. Hopefully he continues to grow now. An active/aggressive Early can definitely help the Knicks eventually.

I get what you're saying but I don't think Early has shown enough for me to pass on anyone, let alone Covington. I've been skeptical of Early since he's been drafted and judging by his performances in the summer league, preseason as well as the regular season, I doubt he'll be much more than a run and jump athlete at the forward spots that can hit the occasional jumper. Guys that are limited to that profile, seldom stick with a team for long (see Shawne Williams, Earl Clark and Austin Daye). Everything else you said I largely agree with though.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

2/1/2015  4:11 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
knickscity wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Covington has largely flown under the radar, so teams haven't been zeroing in on him. Time will tell how he adjusts to that when they do. Hardaway is going through that now and we've all seen how he has struggled during parts of this season. The fact that Covington has not gone through that same process makes me uneasy because we could very well be trading for a flash in the pan. I'd love to take the risk though albeit at a lower price.

Yup. This is always something to consider with players who seem to emerge for the first time.

Very true for young hitters in baseball, as word of a kid's weaknesses at bat are gradually discovered and exploited over time.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/1/2015  4:12 PM
Finestrg wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Whatever we wind up doing with THJ (whether he's dealt or we keep him around), I definitely agree with you here -- we can definitely go out and revamp the entire SG spot for next year in FA, even for minimal money. I can name a good 4-5 legit 2Gs that would come for minimum money that I'd argue are better than Hardaway.

Disagree about that last part. Quality two guards are at a premium, that's why teams are always overpaying for guys like Eric Gordon and guys like Aron Afflalo are so coveted. It's also the reason why even a guy like JR Smith will always have a home. That said, there's no guarantee THJ will develop into a NBA starter.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Robert Covington

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy