[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Please Stop Coveting "Big Name" Free Agents and Spread The Wealth
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
1/31/2015  12:40 PM
New York sportswriters like Frank Isola bang the hype drum just to sell newspapers. A "source" claimed this or that.

Kevin Durant commanding $200M is NOT the topic du jour. Nor is it salivating over Kevin Love.

There is only ONE, "big name" potential free agent worthy of the fuss and he has injury issues - Joakim Noah... and Chicago will not give him up without a fight.

Quality skill sets are not only found on the header of the marquee.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/31/2015  2:46 PM
Say what? I'd trade 3 Noah's for 1 Durant
F500ONE
Member: #5844

1/31/2015  3:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  3:03 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Say what? I'd trade 3 Noah's for 1 Durant

So you'd trade 3 Prime Tyson Chandler's for Durant?

I have to see it to believe it

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/31/2015  3:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  3:17 PM
I would take Durant. Then what do we do with Melo?

Much rather have Anthony Davis

smackeddog
Member: #883
1/31/2015  3:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2015  3:25 PM
The big name things boring- they ain't going to happen. The Hawks and Pistons have shown you don't even need big names to succeed. I just want us to target two way, non-flashy, good character players, and build on that. Try to get two of: Dragic, Wes Mathews and Beverley. Hope we get Towns or OK4 for the front court, and see if we can get robin Lopez, Asik or Monroe, depending on who we draft.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/31/2015  3:16 PM
and draft & develop you own big name player
F500ONE

1/31/2015  3:17 PM
smackeddog wrote:The big name things boring- they ain't going to happen. The Hawks and Pistons have shown you don't even need big names to succeed. I just want us to target two way, non-flashy, good character players, and build on that

Yeah when you don't have a Lebron or Durant

You don't go searching for the next biggest star or try everything possible

To pipe dream that they'll show up at your doorstep eventually while you toil endlessly

You build a team with players, who by the sum

Of their parts are greater than 1 or 2 stars, which creates the star[s] from within

smackeddog
1/31/2015  3:27 PM
F500ONE wrote:
smackeddog wrote:The big name things boring- they ain't going to happen. The Hawks and Pistons have shown you don't even need big names to succeed. I just want us to target two way, non-flashy, good character players, and build on that

To pipe dream that they'll show up at your doorstep eventually while you toil endlessly

Of their parts are greater than 1 or 2 stars, which creates the star[s] from within

Looks like we agree on something for a change

smackeddog
1/31/2015  3:32 PM
Our bench is roughly set for next season:

SG Tim Jr.
SF Early
PG/SG Gallo,
F Thomas
F Amundson
F Wear
C Cole

Round it off with some cheap vets

F500ONE

1/31/2015  3:51 PM
smackeddog wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

George Karl was hoping to accomplish this very thing

While in Denver after the Melo trade

Call him choke artists blah blah blah or whatever

But his principle has always been Spot On if you don't have a Star of Stars

There aren't a bunch of Lebrons and Durants to be had, Matter of fact there's none really

And who likes waiting on these dudes to come off 4-5yr deals

To have a shot at them, now don't get me wrong

Phil should leave his option open for a chance at Durant[whatever odds say] but don't be all in here

Phil has a chance to do what no other exec has been capable of

Crack the code of failure and turn it into success

Create his own standard of executive decisions, his start has been near dreadful

But he has some possible outs on the horizon

smackeddog
1/31/2015  3:57 PM
Apparently we might be bringing in Horace Grant to join the coaching staff according to Twitter (Begley retweeting some writer interviewing Horace Grant)
smackeddog
1/31/2015  4:00 PM
F500ONE wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

George Karl was hoping to accomplish this very thing

While in Denver after the Melo trade

Call him choke artists blah blah blah or whatever

But his principle has always been Spot On if you don't have a Star of Stars

There aren't a bunch of Lebrons and Durants to be had, Matter of fact there's none really

And who likes waiting on these dudes to come off 4-5yr deals

To have a shot at them, now don't get me wrong

Phil should leave his option open for a chance at Durant[whatever odds say] but don't be all in here

Phil has a chance to do what no other exec has been capable of

Crack the code of failure and turn it into success

Create his own standard of executive decisions, his start has been near dreadful

But he has some possible outs on the horizon

George Karl strategy was working well, until the idiot owner decided to fire him, let the Gm walk and somehow let the talent slowly drain from the roster.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/31/2015  4:03 PM
Phil is on the right track. Just forget that brief attempt at trying to get something done with the holdovers. At this point that isn't relevant anymore. After the Draft we'll see what that leaves us with and make decisions from there on what direction to go in FA. Right now Phil is setup to rebuild his core with the right kind of players and they don't have to be Superstars. We all know the names of 2nd and 3rd tier FA's who can give this team good production. Phil will likely leave some room just in case KD does want to come but the overall plan isn't tied to that slim chance. He's taking a more methodical approach now and it should get some tangible results. It's still up in the air but there will be options in front of Phil that can make the team much better. So let the media get crazy with their big names. As long as Phil is grounded and sensible there's nothing to really be concerned with. Phil has made statements that indicate that he is being very reasonable in his approach to FA's. We'll see how it plays out.
F500ONE

1/31/2015  4:26 PM
smackeddog wrote:Apparently we might be bringing in Horace Grant to join the coaching staff according to Twitter (Begley retweeting some writer interviewing Horace Grant)

Don't like this nepotistic like operation

But if it somehow gets us Jerian Grant[who played against Duke the other day]

Via Twin relation to Harvey, Jerian's dad

In addition to what we have going positively okay

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/1/2015  12:11 AM
smackeddog wrote:Apparently we might be bringing in Horace Grant to join the coaching staff according to Twitter (Begley retweeting some writer interviewing Horace Grant)

Wow. That would be great.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/1/2015  12:24 AM
F500ONE wrote:

I actually don't see a problem with Phil looking at guys he trusts. He coached and trained these guys and he's just nurturing his coaching tree, which hasn't always gotten all the support they need. Here guys will get the support they need and come up in the system which will only serve to reinforce the culture and philosophy Phil believes in. It's a circle of support and one clear direction which this franchise has lacked in the past.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/1/2015  12:38 AM
Isola just wanted an eye catching headline. The Knicks aren't putting all their eggs in one basket to chase the flavor of the month star. Phil has said he will try to sign several good players with the cap space. Isola is trying to portray the Knicks as business as usual. A dramatic positive change is taking place. It might not be sensational, easy or quick but it certainly isn't the new plan that relies on getting one mega star.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
F500ONE

2/1/2015  1:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  1:05 AM
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

I actually don't see a problem with Phil looking at guys he trusts. He coached and trained these guys and he's just nurturing his coaching tree, which hasn't always gotten all the support they need. Here guys will get the support they need and come up in the system which will only serve to reinforce the culture and philosophy Phil believes in. It's a circle of support and one clear direction which this franchise has lacked in the past.

You hire the most qualified not your

Personal cronies exclusively at every chance

If Horace was really a teacher of the craft

And wanted in badly he would have been well known through coaching circles by now

Odom=Bust

Shannon=Busted

MbengedOn=Bustomatic

Not every idea Phil has is always a mercury riser

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/1/2015  5:51 AM
What's funny about trying to get the free agents is the media throes it out there that the Knicks need to do what they can to get so and so..... then when they get here "can they share the ball?"

I'm sick of it really. You hand to manage your team and keep yourself flexible enough to make necessary moves.....necessary moves. We just have to keep building our team.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/1/2015  10:16 AM
Im glad we are moving away from this "superstar" and "big three" era, at least in NY.

We are set on building a team based on a system. We need as much talent as possible in the starting lineup, so after cementing Melo as the star, we will spread the wealth, welcome the lottery selection and fill the rest with many talented and hungry players from the DLeague and overseas.

Its good to have a sensible plan for a change.

Knicks_Fan
Please Stop Coveting "Big Name" Free Agents and Spread The Wealth

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy