Excellent offseason
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/29/2015  10:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2015  6:19 PM
lets say we drafted the following

1-Jahill Okafor
27 trade with Cleveland Tyler Harvey PG trade for future protected #1 to 20 or 2 future 2nd rounders plus 1mm
#35 we buy Phillys 2 2 nd rounder and offer than a future 1mm + 1 2018 2nd rounder Rakeem Christmas
and I a guy I think who is going to fall
lets say pick 43 C Robert Upshaw C 7-1 260 500K

We sign Goran Dragic to a 4 year 56mm $ deal
Jason Smith to a 2 year 8.5mm deal 2nd year team option)
Alexis Ajinca 2 years 6.5mm first year guranteed
Aaron Brooks 2 years 6mm first year guaranteed

--------------------------------------------
This all fits well under the salary cap and would give us a max contract the following year. I paid more to the role players Anjica Brooks and Smith in year 1 and they can be waived if needed year 2 as could all 2nd rounders which with stretching Calderon(if we dont trade him) a max contract spacefor 2016)

That would give us

C-Anjica
PF Okafor
SF Melo
G Galloway
PG Dragic

C Smith
PF Christmas
F Lance Thomas
G Tim Hardaway
G Aaron Brooks G

C Robert Upshaw
F Quincy Acy
F C Early
PG Tyler Harvey

open roster spot # 15(Ryan Boatright undrafted?? or older NBA vet for leadership)

Waive or trade Jose Calderon(stretch provision) waive Prigs

This would be the base but here is the following

Wed have an arsenal of HIGH quality 3 point shooters
Wed have multiple rim protectors 3 7 footers
Wed have a primary scorer in Melo and a second high end scorer in Dragic who also give sus our penetrating PG and size on defensive from the 1 guard.
Brooks would give us a pro 2nd team PG which we havent had in a LONg time
Multiple mid range shooters
A nice combination of youth and vets
Much more quality depth in case of injury

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/29/2015  11:04 AM
I see you want to resign Smith. As horrible as he looked early he's looked pretty good of late and had a couple games with 6 assists. If he can continue to show a good fit in the system than 2 years at $8mm seems reasonable.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
1/29/2015  11:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2015  11:09 AM
fishmike wrote:I see you want to resign Smith. As horrible as he looked early he's looked pretty good of late and had a couple games with 6 assists. If he can continue to show a good fit in the system than 2 years at $8mm seems reasonable.

fishmike--We have cap space--so My thought process was offer 3 players higher 1 st year deals with incentives for year 2(but at team options)

Jason Smith --C
Alexis Anjica --C
AAron Brooks-- PG

This way if our team is good and no reason to change we may just keep them--if not we dont and have a max contract space available for 2016. I think Anjica could start coming into his own soon--hopefully not to much--next year would be good:) Brooks is stead and VERY underrated.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/29/2015  11:09 AM
Briggs, you got Durant money left over for 2016?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2015  11:14 AM
The great thing is Phil is building from within and with moves that are not as flashy on paper. Now if we add a Milsap, Monroe or Gasol we won't be putting all our chips in their basket as we did with Amare. This is how you go about building a sustainable winner
BRIGGS
1/29/2015  11:18 AM
If we got Russell instead of Okafor?

Instead of trying to get Dragic Id offer Kanter a max contract or Millsap a 4 year 56mm$

Everything else the same.

It all depends on the top of the draft and who we get.

Same deal

C-Smith
PF Kanter or Millsap
F Melo
G Galloway
G Russell

yada yada yada

RIP Crushalot😞
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/29/2015  11:18 AM
If we have a chance to draft Okafor or Towns, I'm going after dragic and trying to sign Lavoy Allen, Koufos, or resign Smith on a one-year deal, and overcompensate them for that one year. If we fall out of the top 2, Russell is my guy and i'm going after Greg Monroe and still signing Smith or Allen on a one-year deal. Plenty of room for either Durant or Horford the following summer if possible.

C Koufos/Smith/Allen
PF Okafor/Towns
SF Anthony
SG Galloway
PG Dragic

or

C Monroe
PF Allen/Smith
SF Anthony
SG Russell
PG Galloway

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/29/2015  11:19 AM
BRIGGS wrote:If we got Russell instead of Okafor?

Instead of trying to get Dragic Id offer Kanter a max contract or Millsap a 4 year 56mm$

Everything else the same.

It all depends on the top of the draft and who we get.

Same deal

C-Smith
PF Kanter or Millsap
F Melo
G Galloway
G Russell

yada yada yada

Agreed. Millsap, Monroe, or Kanter would all be fine for me.

fishmike
USA
1/29/2015  11:30 AM
the point is I think we can be in pretty shape. We are getting a good player in the draft. We are filling in some holes with nice role players. I see no reason Admundson cant be a Scott Pollard type off the bench along with Lance Thomas. Galloway could very well be a nice starter and a healthy MElo and a couple good FAs (Dragic/Monroe) and the Knicks can have a very nice squad next year.
BRIGGS
1/29/2015  11:33 AM
fishmike wrote:the point is I think we can be in pretty shape. We are getting a good player in the draft. We are filling in some holes with nice role players. I see no reason Admundson cant be a Scott Pollard type off the bench along with Lance Thomas. Galloway could very well be a nice starter and a healthy MElo and a couple good FAs (Dragic/Monroe) and the Knicks can have a very nice squad next year.

I dont see Lou Admundson as anything ut a guy given two weeks by the Knicks as a showcase for a playoff team who needs depth. I would like to take a 2 week look at green next. If we want Admundson--we can bring him into camp next year.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
1/29/2015  12:03 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:the point is I think we can be in pretty shape. We are getting a good player in the draft. We are filling in some holes with nice role players. I see no reason Admundson cant be a Scott Pollard type off the bench along with Lance Thomas. Galloway could very well be a nice starter and a healthy MElo and a couple good FAs (Dragic/Monroe) and the Knicks can have a very nice squad next year.

I dont see Lou Admundson as anything ut a guy given two weeks by the Knicks as a showcase for a playoff team who needs depth. I would like to take a 2 week look at green next. If we want Admundson--we can bring him into camp next year.

you were saying? Admundson has played and worked like a pro and fit the culture. Will he ever have an impact as a Knick? Maybe he's our next Kurt Thomas.. who knows but he's looking good in the system. Maybe a Scott Pollard type?

I understand and agree with your desire for higher ceiling guys with brighter futures. That will come

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2015  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2015  12:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

That's not why Amundson is here lol

He's not being showcased. He just happens to fit in this new culture

smackeddog
Member: #883
1/29/2015  12:51 PM
fishmike wrote:I see you want to resign Smith. As horrible as he looked early he's looked pretty good of late and had a couple games with 6 assists. If he can continue to show a good fit in the system than 2 years at $8mm seems reasonable.

No, the board already decide he was a bum and that Phil Jackson is an idiot for signing him to a $3mil one year deal- money we could have used to sign Lebron James.

FistOfOakley
Member: #3075

1/29/2015  12:56 PM
a front line of smith, okafor and melo? why don't we just bring dalembert and amare back if we want to give up 150 pts a game?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/29/2015  12:58 PM
Alot of you guys are tainted with all these terms. Showcasing guys, increasing value, developing, this obsession with draft picks...we get guys that seemlessly fit and we want to continue the revolving for to try and get another teams player based on potential.

I mean cone on. We need our grunts and glue guys just as much as we need talent. Lance could be our Rick Fox, Lou could be our Scott pollard. Galloway is our bobby Jackson/Mario ellie.

We don't need more bums like Wear to take up space. We need guys that want their time to be now, not in 3-4 years. We're on the right path so I'm not worried about it

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
1/29/2015  1:17 PM
EnySpree wrote:Alot of you guys are tainted with all these terms. Showcasing guys, increasing value, developing, this obsession with draft picks...we get guys that seemlessly fit and we want to continue the revolving for to try and get another teams player based on potential.

I mean cone on. We need our grunts and glue guys just as much as we need talent. Lance could be our Rick Fox, Lou could be our Scott pollard. Galloway is our bobby Jackson/Mario ellie.

We don't need more bums like Wear to take up space. We need guys that want their time to be now, not in 3-4 years. We're on the right path so I'm not worried about it

yea and in the past we paid like $30mm for those guys (Jared Jeffries, Spoon, etc). Having some group of blue collar guys who know the system will only help.
BRIGGS
1/29/2015  2:07 PM
So what do you guys think of the secondary free agents--all 2 year contracts that are heavy in year 1 to bring them(or keep them here)

Smith 2 years 8mm
Anjica 2 years 8mm
Brooks 2 years 7mm
----------------------
Total 11.5mm

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/29/2015  2:10 PM
That looks like a roughly .500 team
fishmike
USA
1/29/2015  2:16 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

fishmike--We have cap space--so My thought process was offer 3 players higher 1 st year deals with incentives for year 2(but at team options)

Jason Smith --C
Alexis Anjica --C
AAron Brooks-- PG

This way if our team is good and no reason to change we may just keep them--if not we dont and have a max contract space available for 2016. I think Anjica could start coming into his own soon--hopefully not to much--next year would be good:) Brooks is stead and VERY underrated.

havent seen much of Anjica. Jason Smith... eh... lets see more but its been a nice turnaround. I like Aaron Brooks alot. He would really give you some nice scoring in that second unit but he's really small and Phil doesnt seem to like little guys.

I like your thinking overall though... maybe not those exact players but the philosophy is spot on

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/29/2015  2:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/29/2015  2:40 PM
BRIGGS wrote:So what do you guys think of the secondary free agents--all 2 year contracts that are heavy in year 1 to bring them(or keep them here)

Smith 2 years 8mm
Anjica 2 years 8mm
Brooks 2 years 7mm
----------------------
Total 11.5mm

It would not good to have Anjica and Smith. Also, Bass is probably available at that price. Plus, I highly doubt Jason gets a raise. Give me Jason Smith at 2 yrs and 4m with a directive to shoot more corner threes and I'll think about depending on how he ends the season. Hopefully he is traded.

Also, do not be fooled by the Chicago back up pg dust Thibs sprinkles on players every year.

Excellent offseason

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy