[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I like that we have carmelo
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/27/2015  7:02 PM
nyk4ever wrote:alot of folks here are pretty stupid about melo. yeah, we gave him a little too much money, but i think he'll be solid to build around. not many teams vying for the #1 lotto pick can say they have a 28ppg/7rpg guy ready to go for next year. between melo, a top draft pick and FA, i think we are set up nicely.

Certainly not a perfect example but its a version of what san antonio once had. I'm not worried about what position Carmelo guards rather I'd like to build a team that has the ability to score 120 yet also plays a team style of d rather than focusing on individualistic skills. Carmelo after knee repair will likely come back 15 pds lighter. I would let him guard4-3-2 in a team concept

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
1/27/2015  7:32 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:alot of folks here are pretty stupid about melo. yeah, we gave him a little too much money, but i think he'll be solid to build around. not many teams vying for the #1 lotto pick can say they have a 28ppg/7rpg guy ready to go for next year. between melo, a top draft pick and FA, i think we are set up nicely.

Certainly not a perfect example but its a version of what san antonio once had. I'm not worried about what position Carmelo guards rather I'd like to build a team that has the ability to score 120 yet also plays a team style of d rather than focusing on individualistic skills. Carmelo after knee repair will likely come back 15 pds lighter. I would let him guard4-3-2 in a team concept

totally with you on that notion briggs. i think carmelo will be fine on defensive in a team concept. like you said, no im not worried about what position he guards, because if we're built correctly, we'll have rim protectors and guys who are willing to work into a team concept defensively. tyson's first year here is a good example of what we COULD look like. carmelo didn't have alot to worry about defensively because chandler cleaned up any mistakes around the rim, which took alot of pressure off melo. if melo, amare, and jr smith werent all hurt and/or being stupid, i think we coulda given miami a real run for their money that year.

melo is the least of our problems, infact, he's a great ace up our sleeve right now.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/27/2015  8:59 PM
Carmelo is 30 years old.

He has played 30,067 minutes in his career.

How much is left in the tank.

Yes, a Mercedes with 100k miles might be better than a brand new hyundai.

But not if it breaks down...

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/27/2015  9:48 PM
nixluva wrote:

I agree. I think this is what Phil was thinking. He basically said to himself that he was starting his FA signing early by locking up Melo. Now he has one less core player hole to fill. It's hard to get players on that level and from what we know about the FA's this year it's gonna be extremely hard to pluck off one of the top FA's from their current team.

So now Phil locks up one core player and will likely draft another. That leaves him with having to make smart choices in Free Agency this year and adding solid team players which he should be able to do with the amount of cap space he has available.

I disagree.

I think he said to himself:

"Oh sh1t! I need to resign this guy to the max?? UGH"

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
1/27/2015  11:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/27/2015  11:44 PM
franco12 wrote:Carmelo is 30 years old.

Any player can "break down" (see Derrick rose) I guess Russell Westbrook is Broken down too since he's been injured alot. if that's what we're really calling melo now...broken down? a little exaggerate no?

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/27/2015  11:55 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:The big issue for is what position he is able to play. Not sure he can play significant minutes defending at SF- he is going to be worn out chasing certain SFs. He should be more comfortable dealing with stretch 4s on D, and his lower body is strong enough for him to hold his own down in the block.

I know he is injured, but I thought he started getting his shots blocked more frequently last year, too, and lets face it, the refs seem to give him little respect when he goes to the basket and there is contact.

His future position has to influence future FA signings and perhaps draft strategies, IMO.

he's always been a tweener on defense, it's been one of the major problems in his game his entire nba career. this flaw cannot be a hindrance to building a contender as he ages and starts breaking down... he'll be exposed in the playoffs and the team compromised. that's the other side of the "he's the most versatile scorer in the league" coin.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

1/28/2015  12:11 AM
dk7th wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:The big issue for is what position he is able to play. Not sure he can play significant minutes defending at SF- he is going to be worn out chasing certain SFs. He should be more comfortable dealing with stretch 4s on D, and his lower body is strong enough for him to hold his own down in the block.

I know he is injured, but I thought he started getting his shots blocked more frequently last year, too, and lets face it, the refs seem to give him little respect when he goes to the basket and there is contact.

His future position has to influence future FA signings and perhaps draft strategies, IMO.

he's always been a tweener on defense, it's been one of the major problems in his game his entire nba career. this flaw cannot be a hindrance to building a contender as he ages and starts breaking down... he'll be exposed in the playoffs and the team compromised. that's the other side of the "he's the most versatile scorer in the league" coin.

I don't know of any teams that start rebuilding around

A 30yr old 1-way player, who's even 1 dimensional in his 1-way play

If that even makes any sense

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/28/2015  12:27 AM
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

LOL if only the square root of one was less than one, but you still get the concept even if the math doesn't back it up.

the guy is destined to come off the bench. he'd make a great bench player.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/28/2015  12:53 AM
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

You keep saying things like this as if it actually has some meaning. The Knicks are not actually building around Melo as the centerpiece. He's a Part of the Core, but he's not going to be the sole focus of the team. That's the entire focus of Phil's philosophy. It won't be about one guy. As i've said over and over, Melo is one player out of 15 and for this team to be successful we need quality beyond just one player. The idea is to build a team that can win even if Melo was out for a stretch of time. Phil has to build a good overall team period. Melo is only one part of the puzzle.

It's not a very difficult thing to understand so I have to assume that you and others who keep pushing this crap are just being obtuse. You know damn well that it's entirely possible to build a good team regardless of Melo's presence on the roster. It starts with a good draft. Good free agent signings and continuing to develop prospects. This is no different than it is for any team so why are the Knicks somehow exempt from being able to put a good team together?

If Melo could be on a team that won 54 games and got to the WCF's, then it just proves that it's not impossible to put a team together around him that can win. Billups, Nene, Kenyon and JR isn't so spectacular a group that we can't put together a better core of talent. The talent level of that core isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

1/28/2015  1:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2015  1:19 AM
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

You keep saying things like this as if it actually has some meaning. The Knicks are not actually building around Melo as the centerpiece. He's a Part of the Core, but he's not going to be the sole focus of the team. That's the entire focus of Phil's philosophy. It won't be about one guy. As i've said over and over, Melo is one player out of 15 and for this team to be successful we need quality beyond just one player. The idea is to build a team that can win even if Melo was out for a stretch of time. Phil has to build a good overall team period. Melo is only one part of the puzzle.

It's not a very difficult thing to understand so I have to assume that you and others who keep pushing this crap are just being obtuse. You know damn well that it's entirely possible to build a good team regardless of Melo's presence on the roster. It starts with a good draft. Good free agent signings and continuing to develop prospects. This is no different than it is for any team so why are the Knicks somehow exempt from being able to put a good team together?

If Melo could be on a team that won 54 games and got to the WCF's, then it just proves that it's not impossible to put a team together around him that can win. Billups, Nene, Kenyon and JR isn't so spectacular a group that we can't put together a better core of talent. The talent level of that core isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

I was making a very astute observation

No need for you to be rude and belligerent

Once again the league does not stay static as we rebuild

Melo's cocoon has rotted from the inside out

There will be no butterfly to take flight

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/28/2015  1:18 AM
F500ONE wrote:
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

No need for you to be rude and beligerent

You're deliberately mischaracterizing the Knicks situation. They aren't so much building around Melo as if he's the center piece as they are building a good team with Melo as a part of it. You know there's a distinct difference.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/28/2015  6:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2015  6:08 AM
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

No need for you to be rude and beligerent

You're deliberately mischaracterizing the Knicks situation. They aren't so much building around Melo as if he's the center piece as they are building a good team with Melo as a part of it. You know there's a distinct difference.

It's not clear which is dumber: Giving Melo the largest contract on the planet to build around him or giving the largest contract on the planet to a player you don't even plan to build around.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/28/2015  6:34 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

I'm not sure if everyone missed this point.

San Antonio was in this position years ago with David Robinson. They got the #1 pick after a dismal season and drafted duncan. The Knicks are in the exact same position right now. Also a certain rookie coach was just planting his seeds in coach pop. We totally need to be be positive because we ate at the bottom now, but we could seriously set ourselves up to own the next decade of basketball.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
USA
1/28/2015  6:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2015  6:39 AM
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

San Antonio was in this position years ago with David Robinson. They got the #1 pick after a dismal season and drafted duncan. The Knicks are in the exact same position right now. Also a certain rookie coach was just planting his seeds in coach pop. We totally need to be be positive because we ate at the bottom now, but we could seriously set ourselves up to own the next decade of basketball.

The Spurs were really bad because David Robinson was out all season. We're really bad with Melo playing. The Spurs basically added two hall-of-famers in one off-season. The odds of adding even one - let alone two - hall of famers this off-season are remarkably low (for any team). It's an entirely different situation.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/28/2015  7:15 AM
^^^^If as a coach you have lost a lot and your gm declines a pay decrease and a new gm is brought in you might be on the hot seat. If the new gm amnesties your point guard when you run a point guard dominant offense and brings in a big when your mantra is bigs slow down the game you might be in trouble. If you are criticized for your lack of defensive coaching and an assistant head coach is brought in to help you with the defense you might be in trouble. If you are in the final year of your contract and the team doesn't extend you you might be in trouble. If you go out and lose a ton of games despite having what some call the best frontline in the game you might lose your job or you might finally negotiate a buyout for the remainder of your last year. But yeah that one was on Melo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/28/2015  7:23 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
franco12 wrote:Carmelo is 30 years old.

Any player can "break down" (see Derrick rose) I guess Russell Westbrook is Broken down too since he's been injured alot. if that's what we're really calling melo now...broken down? a little exaggerate no?

Sure, any player can break down.

But looking at Kobe & Amar'e, I see guys that have put on a ton of minutes in their career, and just are starting to break down.

I look at Melo and he hasn't been able to play this year effectively since the 2nd game of the year due to an injury to his knee that may require surgery, but which might not get better without rest.

Melo who in the prior 2 seasons ended the year with shoulder injuries.

I've got a 15 year old BMW- great car, but little things break, and I'm having to confront maybe a brand new leased Hyundai will be more cost effective way for me to budget my money.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/28/2015  7:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2015  7:29 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

The Spurs were really bad because David Robinson was out all season. We're really bad with Melo playing. The Spurs basically added two hall-of-famers in one off-season. The odds of adding even one - let alone two - hall of famers this off-season are remarkably low (for any team). It's an entirely different situation.

Different but similar. I believe if this current knicks team stated the season we would be still in the playoff hunt. Our team was completely disfunctional up until now.

Next year we'll have Melo playing to win, possibly a franchise talent at the #1 and the ability sign whoever we want as a free agent. We can very well set ourselves up very nicely.

Pop was 17-41 when he took over that year. I wonder if he was on the hot seat to get fired for someone more experienced? Fisher send to be in the same boat.

The sky is the limit.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/28/2015  7:54 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:You keep saying things like this as if it actually has some meaning. The Knicks are not actually building around Melo as the centerpiece. He's a Part of the Core, but he's not going to be the sole focus of the team. That's the entire focus of Phil's philosophy.

1) The Knicks are paying Melo about 40 percent of their total cap space. Forty percent.

FORTY PERCENT.

Imagine your workplace. If you were paid 40 PERCENT of the available funds to cover all salaries, you and your workmates would not all be equal. It would be Nixluva and the Pips. Either you are the most integral person in said workplace, or you have Polaroids of the CEO licking an elephants balls covered in grape jam and are extorting him.

At some litmus point, the salary cap is going to dictate who MUST be the primary player for said franchise, whether they are doing the job or not.

2) Every time Melo has a coach that doesn't give him what he wants or doesn't highlight him as the feature player, said coach gets the boot. To me that says he's the sole focus of the team

3) No one in the franchise holds Melo accountable for his lack of leadership, failures in moving off the ball, poor passing, selfish/carefree defense, lack of conditioning, consistently saying stupid things in the press, poor shot selection. Dude, when you can get away with all that FOR YEARS and make the MOST MONEY, you are clearly the sole focus of the team

4) If there is a player who can actually help the Knicks but has taken the spotlight and attention away from Melo or Melo simply can't act like a leader enough to get along with them, and those players are immediately jettisoned. Then that means Melo is the sole focus of the team

5) When your aging team president isn't putting on his Depends and sipping on some Ensure, is trying to trade everyone on the roster but you, in the offseason, you are sole focus of the team.

As usual, I have no idea what Briggs is talking about. Three games don't wipe out 12 years of history of a player's legacy. I guess it's just Brigg's methodology ( i.e. if a player has a couple of good games, then the Knicks must trade for him and give up future assets for him and give him a gigantic contract or if this college player looks good for a stretch, then he must be the apple of the Knicks eye until the next prospect breaks out. Briggs makes Larry Brown's classic reputation of a short memory and impulsiveness seem almost rational. )

Melo has shown for 12 seasons that Melo does what is best for Melo, or what he thinks is best for him.

If hes playing more team oriented now, more likely he is hurt and not wanting to aggravate his injury or he's faking hurt in a game of wills with Zen Master ( i.e. who can be blamed for this season) and trying not to hurt his branding by trying when he's pumping to the media how he needs to be shut down for the year.

When you sign a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT and you say YOU ARE HURT AND NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN but you SELECTIVELY PLAY in FEATURE GAMES GARNERING A NATIONAL OR INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE and everyone in the sports world says it's obvious you are waiting to PLAY IN THE ALL STAR GAME for your BRANDING before you shut it down, you are acting like the sole focus. A player like that, if he was really hurt, is risking the next four years of his ability to help his team for nothing other than branding/marketing appeal in his own mind. That kind of move is an act of someone who cares more about being the center of attention/sole focus than thinking about what's best for the team.

Well said as always

Bonn1997
USA
1/28/2015  7:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/28/2015  7:57 AM
EnySpree wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Different but similar. I believe if this current knicks team stated the season we would be still in the playoff hunt. Our team was completely disfunctional up until now.

Next year we'll have Melo playing to win, possibly a franchise talent at the #1 and the ability sign whoever we want as a free agent. We can very well set ourselves up very nicely.

Pop was 17-41 when he took over that year. I wonder if he was on the hot seat to get fired for someone more experienced? Fisher send to be in the same boat.

The sky is the limit.

You're describing a situation in which every best case scenario plays out:
A) Melo in year 13 playing at a significantly higher level than now
B) The draft pick being a franchise player
C) The idea that B and A will happen at the same time
D) We add excellent FAs.

Even individually, these aren't high probability events (with B and C being the lowest). All of them happening at the same time is extremely unlikely.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/28/2015  7:58 AM
F500ONE wrote:
nixluva wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
dk7th wrote:

No need for you to be rude and belligerent

Once again the league does not stay static as we rebuild

Melo's cocoon has rotted from the inside out

There will be no butterfly to take flight

Even tkf never sounded this stupid
while calling himself astute.

Melo's the first of hopefully two or three major starphilques. After years of IT and LarryBoy and Curry/Marbles, I have never understood the Melohate.

I like that we have carmelo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy