[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why didnt LA pull a NJ Marbury Blitz on Billups?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
6/16/2004  7:57 PM
What i dont understand is why more teams in the playoffs and in every game dont just shut down PGs as soon as they cross half court like the Nets did to Marbury? send your PF and SG at the PG on offense, and force the PG to give up the rock immediately...

If LA had sent two guys at Billups every time he crossed midcourt, you would have taken him out of his game and maybe had a chance at making that a series.

the only reason the Nets won is because they completely took the ball out of marbury's hands on every play and made other knicks try to beat the nets, which we couldnt.

injuries are part of the game and usually cost the better team from winning in the playoffs or the championship.

T-wolves would have been in the finals with a healthy cassell. Knicks would have probably beat the Nets with a healthy houston & TT.
AUTOADVERT
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
6/16/2004  8:04 PM
I don;t think we would have beat the Nets with a healthy TT and Houston when we got swept. The series wasn't close.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/16/2004  8:16 PM
the Pistons have other guys who handle the ball well...they say the way to beat the trap is to attack it...but you need good passers & guys who can dribble the ball...the Knicks had Shandon Anderson dribbling the ball of his foot i don't know HOW many times in that Nets series...& TT & Houston were both out of the lineup...that left Marbury out there w/a bunch of stiffs who couldn't dribble the ball if their lives depended on it (w/the exception of Frank, but he was still very inexperienced & made some bad decisions under pressure as well)...i think that may have had something to do w/it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/16/2004  8:33 PM
you had multiple guys who could bring the ball up court and 4 other explosive athletes who could take it to the hole. detroit passed the ball very well.

i think its a big mistake comparing detroit to NY they are a much different team with much more size athletsicm toughness better depth length at every position etc....
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/16/2004  9:13 PM
Prince brought the ball up a a lot so that killed that theory, but the lakers just didn't have the healthy horses to play that style like the nets did to the knicks....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/16/2004  9:14 PM
still, billups was the sparkplug for detroit. you double team and get the ball out of his hands, just like marbury had the ball taken out of his hands. with good rotation and spacing, that double team whenever billups got the ball would have been solid. shut him down when he crossed half court or before, not when he's at the top of the key.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/16/2004  9:20 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

still, billups was the sparkplug for detroit. you double team and get the ball out of his hands, just like marbury had the ball taken out of his hands. with good rotation and spacing, that double team whenever billups got the ball would have been solid. shut him down when he crossed half court or before, not when he's at the top of the key.
You do that and Rip and Rasheed could combine for 60 points
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/17/2004  3:01 AM
problem is : who could have done that ? perimeter d was one of the lakers weaknesses. If they couldn't defend pick and rolls at all, I could they set any trap ?
Why didnt LA pull a NJ Marbury Blitz on Billups?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy