F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

1/22/2015  3:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  4:28 PM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:hollinger:

2014 clippers TS 56.7 off eff 109.4 griffin TS 58.3

2015 clippers TS 57.2 off eff 110.4 griffin TS 54.9

so from the numbers it appears that griffin is sacrificing personal numbers for the good of the team. yes i know there is likely no way of establishing a correlation, but still... there IS a pattern to be acknowledged.

lastly, you will see that he has gotten better at sharing the ball and one wonders if it is because he is in a better place on the floor from which to make the extra pass:

2014 usage:ast rate ratio -----> 29:19.2 which reduces to a really good 1.5:1 for a power forward. i mean REALLY good.

2015 usage:ast rate ratio -----> 29:8.24.9 which goes to an outstanding 1.2:1 THIS IS LARRY BIRD TERRITORY

my guess: it's about floor spacing and putting griffin in a position to be more of a ball mover/playmaker. when you do that as his coach you know his personal numbers will go down but his ability to make others around him better will go up.

i think this is a very persuasive justification for him being on the floor *where* he is throughout most of the shot clock and if the shot is available then he takes it, unless he sees a teammate with an even better look. he's averaging 5 assists per game!

what say you?

Blake as I mentioned previously has become a much better passer. I don't think that has anything to do with him taking 20 footers.

There is certainly a value to spreading the floor, however, these stretch 4's are not usually stretched to 20 feet, because of the return but stretched to 23 for the ROI. I bet he ends up there and this is just a transition. Even at 30% from 3, its still better that 40% from 16-23.

The argument that you are making was an argument against the Tyson TS and how it was overvalued. If he could not spread/stretch the floor, then he is allowing the defense to pack the paint and reduce rim shots for other players. This is the same argument against DJordan.

LA is being moved closer and closer to behind the arc to maximize his efficiency. He is nervous to take them but he can hit them at an efficient rate.

So, if taking a 20 footer is a means to get to a 23 footer then I can see the strategy.

If a player just cant hit the 3, then I still see some value in stretching the floor but he would be best suited to play closer to the rim most of the time and maximize on his mismatches. Just standing around and taking shots in those bad shot positions are mostly harmful in the long run. he is also down 1.5 FT's this year since he is parked more outside.

Good post though ...

Not if the other part of the ROI is foul trouble and putting teams in the penalty and getting to the free throw line

And as DK said the stretch play even if inside the arc can benefit the team for spacing

Players definitely should expand their game in all capacity if possible

Unless they do certain things at an all world Elite level[keep doing it]

But what they should not do is become 2 dimensional[layups & 3s only]

AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/22/2015  4:07 PM
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

so from the numbers it appears that griffin is sacrificing personal numbers for the good of the team. yes i know there is likely no way of establishing a correlation, but still... there IS a pattern to be acknowledged.

lastly, you will see that he has gotten better at sharing the ball and one wonders if it is because he is in a better place on the floor from which to make the extra pass:

2014 usage:ast rate ratio -----> 29:19.2 which reduces to a really good 1.5:1 for a power forward. i mean REALLY good.

2015 usage:ast rate ratio -----> 29:8.24.9 which goes to an outstanding 1.2:1 THIS IS LARRY BIRD TERRITORY

my guess: it's about floor spacing and putting griffin in a position to be more of a ball mover/playmaker. when you do that as his coach you know his personal numbers will go down but his ability to make others around him better will go up.

i think this is a very persuasive justification for him being on the floor *where* he is throughout most of the shot clock and if the shot is available then he takes it, unless he sees a teammate with an even better look. he's averaging 5 assists per game!

what say you?

Blake as I mentioned previously has become a much better passer. I don't think that has anything to do with him taking 20 footers.

There is certainly a value to spreading the floor, however, these stretch 4's are not usually stretched to 20 feet, because of the return but stretched to 23 for the ROI. I bet he ends up there and this is just a transition. Even at 30% from 3, its still better that 40% from 16-23.

The argument that you are making was an argument against the Tyson TS and how it was overvalued. If he could not spread/stretch the floor, then he is allowing the defense to pack the paint and reduce rim shots for other players. This is the same argument against DJordan.

LA is being moved closer and closer to behind the arc to maximize his efficiency. He is nervous to take them but he can hit them at an efficient rate.

So, if taking a 20 footer is a means to get to a 23 footer then I can see the strategy.

If a player just cant hit the 3, then I still see some value in stretching the floor but he would be best suited to play closer to the rim most of the time and maximize on his mismatches. Just standing around and taking shots in those bad shot positions are mostly harmful in the long run. he is also down 1.5 FT's this year since he is parked more outside.

Good post though ...

Not if the other part of the ROI is foul trouble and putting teams in the penalty and getting to the free throw line

And as DK said the stretch play even if inside the arc can benefit the team for spacing

But what the should not do is become 2 dimensional[layups & 3s only]

that was a meaningless post ... not sure if you are just bored or are intentionally silly.

please post something of substance. You don't have to post just to post. I am being serious ... do some research and make a good argument. Your arguments are really lean at best and making your own arguments look bad.

You posted steph curry yet you failed to really look at his numbers and see the trend.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
F500ONE

1/22/2015  4:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  4:47 PM
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

what say you?

Good post though ...

that was a meaningless post ... not sure if you are just bored or are intentionally silly.

please post something of substance. You don't have to post just to post. I am being serious ... do some research and make a good argument. Your arguments are really lean at best and making your own arguments look bad.

You posted steph curry yet you failed to really look at his numbers and see the trend.

I posted more than Stephen Curry

Sorry all those visuals hit deep

We can discuss Dirk if you like

I allowed you to show your deeper side of intelligence

Coming up with a valid explanation why Steph is shooting 50%FG[career high] and 40%3pt[career low]

And you evaporated on it

Then showed you this year visually he's on a pace taking more

Midrange shots than last yr

Once again nothing

So maybe this video will help you wise up a little more

Mid Range shot and open twos inside the arc given by the defense

Should and will be taken by good-great shooters, can't argue against reality

mreinman

1/22/2015  4:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  5:25 PM
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

what say you?

Good post though ...

Coming up with a valid explanation why Steph is shooting 50%FG[career high] and 40%3pt[career low]

And you evaporated on it

Once again nothing

Mid Range shot and open twos given by the defense should and will be taken by great shooters

Can't argue against reality

Really? See, this is why I think that this is intentional. You can't be missing all this on purpose. Its the exact opposite.

he has gone from taking 24.5% of his shots (last season) between 16 and 23 to only 15.3% of his shots (this season).

He has also gone from taking 14 percent of his shots (last season) from 0-3 to over 20.4 percent from there (this season) hence the increased efficiency, those are the best shots and he is hitting them at 71.5%!

Thats why his FG is better! Not sure why its so hard to take a look at the data

Again, did you just choose to ignore this in my previous post? Or just miss it? Or just being intentionally silly and unwilling to comprehend the obvious? I'm a bit confused.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/22/2015  5:20 PM
saw this on another board

Frank January 22, 2015 at 12:28 pm

one trend that seems positive —

Knicks 3PAr (ie. % of FGA that are 3 point attempts) by month:

October – 18.9%
November – 24.1%
December – 24.5%
January – 30.4%

As a point of reference Houston leads the league in 3PAr at ~40%. Minny is last at 17.9%. ~27% seems about league-average.

Seems likely this is on purpose ie. I’ve sort of noticed more action to screen defenders to open up 3 point looks.

mreinman

1/22/2015  5:33 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:saw this on another board

October – 18.9%
November – 24.1%
December – 24.5%
January – 30.4%

As a point of reference Houston leads the league in 3PAr at ~40%. Minny is last at 17.9%. ~27% seems about league-average.

Seems likely this is on purpose ie. I’ve sort of noticed more action to screen defenders to open up 3 point looks.

thats good info and I hope thats true.

some teams just have guards who can't shoot the 3 like minny and rubio, rondo, wall, etc ... you are what you are. Minny has suffered from this for years.

mreinman

1/22/2015  5:38 PM
mreinman wrote:

October – 18.9%
November – 24.1%
December – 24.5%
January – 30.4%

some teams just have guards who can't shoot the 3 like minny and rubio, rondo, wall, etc ... you are what you are. Minny has suffered from this for years.

I do see the monthly splits and it does shot that via 3PA. Don't see the Advanced Stats or Shooting Stats split by month though (on bask-ref. It would be nice to see.

F500ONE

1/22/2015  5:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  8:32 PM
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

what say you?

Good post though ...

And you evaporated on it

Once again nothing

Mid Range shot and open twos given by the defense should and will be taken by great shooters

Really? See, this is why I think that this is intentional. You can't be missing all this on purpose. Its the exact opposite.

This year he has gone from taking 24.5% of his shots between 16 and 23 to only 15.3% of his shots.

He has also gone from taking 14 percent of his shots from 0-3 to over 20.4 percent from there hence the increased efficiency, those are the best shots and he is hitting them at 71.5%!

Thats why his FG is better

Again, did you just choose to ignore this in my previous post? Or just miss it? Or just being intentionally silly and unwilling to comprehend the obvious? I'm a bit confused.

Didn't catch the ratio %s you presented although it doesn't tell you

The full story as I've tried to direct you in this area before

You have to keep in mind his volume FGA/gm are down from last yr

So yes some outputs at certain distances will ebb and flow

What you want to look at are his % at the various distances

And see if you see truer analytic sum totals

Here let me help, might want to start using this as another alternate resource for data

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201939/stats/shooting/

GSW have essentially play half their schedule so projecting his current output for the rest of season

His numbers this yr to last yr goes as follows from distances, I know BBRef.com using their own too

2013-2014

Shot Distance (5ft)	FGM	FGA	FG%	3PM	3PA	3P%
Less Than 5 ft. 141 247 57.1 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 33 76 43.4 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 42 82 51.2 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 122 245 49.8 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 149 315 47.3 96 197 48.7
25-29 ft. 163 399 40.9 163 399 40.9

2014-2015

Shot Distance (5ft) FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P%
Less Than 5 ft. 114 166 68.7 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 18 34 52.9 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 26 49 53.1 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 33 60 55.0 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 57 137 41.6 42 94 44.7
25-29 ft. 76 199 38.2 76 199 38.2

2014-2015 * 2 on all numbers his season could finish like this

Less Than 5 ft. 228 322 68.7 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 36 68 52.9 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 52 98 53.1 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 66 120 55.0 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 114 274 41.6 84 188 44.7
25-29 ft. 152 398 38.2 152 398 38.2

While you are correct he's increased his numbers

Getting to the rim, you're trying to ascribe all credit to this one factor alone

When in all actuality his game inside the arc has improved overall from 0-19ft

We agreed 20-22ftrs maybe a player shouldn't take those

But you said "taking midrange shots is stupid" when this happens to be

A very effective part of his game improved from last year

And yes getting to the rim is great, he should keep doing it over and over Tony Parker style

In the video as mentioned he probably could improve in this area more he's about average in the paint

But he should also maybe avoid shooting the 3ball certain spots beyond the arc

Or should we go extreme like you and say since he's in the high 60s 70s at the rim

Make sure well over half of his attempts are at the rim

Weren't you opposed to Bigs[Love] playing close to the basket in the paint because

You argued the difficulty of being able to get those shots off but now

You're championing Curry because he's getting them off at such a clip

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/22/2015  7:47 PM
mreinman wrote:
mreinman wrote:

October – 18.9%
November – 24.1%
December – 24.5%
January – 30.4%

I do see the monthly splits and it does shot that via 3PA. Don't see the Advanced Stats or Shooting Stats split by month though (on bask-ref. It would be nice to see.

He may have just did the numbers himself by dividing 3pa/fga

mreinman

1/22/2015  10:23 PM
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

what say you?

Good post though ...

And you evaporated on it

Once again nothing

This year he has gone from taking 24.5% of his shots between 16 and 23 to only 15.3% of his shots.

He has also gone from taking 14 percent of his shots from 0-3 to over 20.4 percent from there hence the increased efficiency, those are the best shots and he is hitting them at 71.5%!

Thats why his FG is better

Didn't catch the ratio %s you presented although it doesn't tell you

The full story as I've tried to direct you in this area before

You have to keep in mind his volume FGA/gm are down from last yr

So yes some outputs at certain distances will ebb and flow

What you want to look at are his % at the various distances

And see if you see truer analytic sum totals

Here let me help, might want to start using this as another alternate resource for data

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201939/stats/shooting/

GSW have essentially play half their schedule so projecting his current output for the rest of season

His numbers this yr to last yr goes as follows from distances, I know BBRef.com using their own too

2013-2014

Less Than 5 ft. 141 247 57.1 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 33 76 43.4 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 42 82 51.2 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 122 245 49.8 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 149 315 47.3 96 197 48.7
25-29 ft. 163 399 40.9 163 399 40.9

2014-2015

Shot Distance (5ft) FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P%
Less Than 5 ft. 114 166 68.7 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 18 34 52.9 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 26 49 53.1 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 33 60 55.0 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 57 137 41.6 42 94 44.7
25-29 ft. 76 199 38.2 76 199 38.2

2014-2015 * 2 on all numbers his season could finish like this

Less Than 5 ft. 228 322 68.7 0 0 0.0
5-9 ft. 36 68 52.9 0 0 0.0
10-14 ft. 52 98 53.1 0 0 0.0
15-19 ft. 66 120 55.0 0 0 0.0
20-24 ft. 114 274 41.6 84 188 44.7
25-29 ft. 152 398 38.2 152 398 38.2

While you are correct he's increased his numbers

Getting to the rim, you're trying to ascribe all credit to this one factor alone

When in all actuality his game inside the arc has improved overall from 0-19ft

We agreed 20-22ftrs maybe a player shouldn't take those

But you said "taking midrange shots is stupid" when this happens to be

A very effective part of his game improved from last year

And yes getting to the rim is great, he should keep doing it over and over Tony Parker style

In the video as mentioned he probably could improve in this area more he's about average in the paint

But he should also maybe avoid shooting the 3ball certain spots beyond the arc

Or should we go extreme like you and say since he's in the high 60s 70s at the rim

Make sure well over half of his attempts are at the rim

Weren't you opposed to Bigs[Love] playing close to the basket in the paint because

You argued the difficulty of being able to get those shots off but now

You're championing Curry because he's getting them off at such a clip

I never said midrange shots are stupid. If you can't even read my posts then there is not point in responding (there maybe no point anyway)

I never said that Love should not shoot in the paint, he and everyone else should be shooting efficient shots. In the paint, 3's, whatever ... no inefficient shots.

Don't no why you use NBA.com, baskRef is much better, especially for you who may be starting out with metrics and would like a clearer picture. And 20-24 includes both 2's and 3's which seems quite ridiculous to group them. That is the worst advanced metric site on so many levels.

And volume being down (just a tad) is irrelevant. Look at the % rates.

And, getting to the rim is great and as I have told you before when you were the other poster, you can't just get rim shots every time the defense does not just allow you to do that.

You still seem to be intentionally missing or not comprehending on every single point which is REALLY strange. Please review the numbers again for Steph Curry on BaskRef and let me know if you are still having trouble. If you are, maybe we could meet for coffee and I can bring some puppets.

F500ONE

1/22/2015  10:28 PM
Naaah the numbers are their proving

Curry is taking advantage of the midrange game

And being very efficient at it

I'm so sorry but what you said can't be unsaid

mreinman

1/22/2015  10:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2015  10:48 PM
F500ONE wrote:Naaah the numbers are their proving

Curry has dropped his 16-23 shots this year by ALOT and has increased his rim shots. I really can't tell if you are being serious or just trying to keep me engaged out of boredom (with just high fivin DK) or are very challenged.

please post what you think I said. Actually quote me please. And yes, things can be unsaid if I don't believe in them anymore or feel that I was WRONG. Again, its ok to be wrong.

Even houston takes SOME midrange shots, sometimes there are not that many options, and the 16-23 foot shots which everyone agrees are awful, actually still are being taken since options may be limited at the end of possessions and/or because the player is quite flawed, or he is dirk. Even Steph who has drastically reduced them this year still takes some (though very few) of them.

And, not to be a dik but can you at some point admit to being TKF or at least related so that we don't have to drag this out? No 2 posters can say or believe the same dumb statements and be so diligent about it. Most smart or dumb or strange people are smart or dumb or strange on different levels.

Anyway, enough with the back and forth, I know you will outlast me or manage/insist on getting the last say. Lets get back to other posts like why Thanasis is not here and trading a first round pick for the mayor.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/22/2015  11:14 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
F500ONE

1/22/2015  11:17 PM
mreinman wrote:

Curry has dropped his 16-23 shots this year by ALOT and has increased his rim shots. I really can't tell if you are being serious or just trying to keep me engaged out of boredom (with just high fivin DK) or are very challenged.

please post what you think I said. Actually quote me please. And yes, things can be unsaid if I don't believe in them anymore or feel that I was WRONG. Again, its ok to be wrong.

Even houston takes SOME midrange shots, sometimes there are not that many options, and the 16-23 foot shots which everyone agrees are awful, actually still are being taken since options may be limited at the end of possessions and/or because the player is quite flawed, or he is dirk. Even Steph who has drastically reduced them this year still takes some (though very few) of them.

And, not to be a dik but can you at some point admit to being TKF or at least related so that we don't have to drag this out? No 2 posters can say or believe the same dumb statements and be so diligent about it. Most smart or dumb or strange people are smart or dumb or strange on different levels.

Anyway, enough with the back and forth, I know you will outlast me or manage/insist on getting the last say. Lets get back to other posts like why Thanasis is not here and trading a first round pick for the mayor.

mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:
F500ONE wrote:Jason Smith another WIDE OPEN 16ft, he made it

i know, with the midrange. power forwards 6'10" with the midrange. could be a trend. still, smith is so soft.

so you're for that shot too? mid range jumpers?

you just need to agree with what he says even if it makes zero sense?

very strange.

You can't unsay this sorry man

While he's increased his output at the rim

Using BBref as I've known this to be a good resource too as is hoopdata.com

He's taken from all areas 3ft out to 3pt line and sent them at the rim

He still shoots the midrange shot and he's also increased

His fg% in this area of 10-19ft[based on NBA.com data] from previous season

You can't argue against those numbers either

The point I was getting at is that I knew he improved his inside game and it's wasn't exclusively at the rim

10-19ft is about the midrange area an area you referred to as stupid or making zero sense

If it's an open shot[given by defense] and-or you're a good shooter, you take those shots plan and simple

You don't have to seek them out at all cost but take them you should

NBA.com link is a good one because it tells what kind of shot was taken

And for the record Curry isn't that good of a jump shooter[set shot]

Based on this season and NBA.com he should continue focusing on his drives and give more

Attention to his corner 3s, and of course keep his current trend of increased shooting % between 10-19ft

mreinman

1/23/2015  10:29 AM
mreinman wrote:

Care to address? A simple no would work too.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/23/2015  11:28 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF SHIT, WE WON THE FUHUUUUCKIN GAME!!!

ENOUGH WITH THE STOOGE STAT ANALNESS.

PLEASE, I BEG YOU, JUST GO BACK TO HATING MELO!

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/23/2015  11:53 AM
jrodmc wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF SHIT, WE WON THE FUHUUUUCKIN GAME!!!

ENOUGH WITH THE STOOGE STAT ANALNESS.

PLEASE, I BEG YOU, JUST GO BACK TO HATING MELO!

somebody needs a time-out

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
RonRon
Member: #246
1/23/2015  5:20 PM
What advanced stats are best to look at when anylzing talent?

Players I would like to compare and analyze and compare are

Jimmy Butler
Draymond Green
Kawaii Leonard

Millsap
Dragic

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/23/2015  5:51 PM
RonRon wrote:What advanced stats are best to look at when anylzing talent?

Jimmy Butler
Draymond Green
Kawaii Leonard

Millsap
Dragic

i look at (1) TS% which combines 2s, 3s, and free throws to measure efficiency. it doesn't really work that well for players who don't shoot threes

i also look at (2) the ratio between usage and assist rate (the number of assists generated when that player is on the floor)

real point guards will have a ratio of around .50:1, elite shooting guards and non-orchestrating "scoring point guards" will have a ratio of 1:1, swingmen will have a range from 1:1 to 1.35:1 but sometimes 1.5:1 is acceptable. anything above that is for "finishers" who have no business handling the ball. this ratio represents the player's contribution to offensive cohesion.

also (3) BPM or "box plus/minus" shows a players effectiveness on both sides of the ball, comprised of obpm and dbpm. looks like your assessment of green is accurate.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greendr01.html

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
RonRon
Member: #246
1/23/2015  10:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2015  10:41 PM
dk7th wrote:
RonRon wrote:What advanced stats are best to look at when anylzing talent?

Jimmy Butler
Draymond Green
Kawaii Leonard

Millsap
Dragic

i look at (1) TS% which combines 2s, 3s, and free throws to measure efficiency. it doesn't really work that well for players who don't shoot threes

i also look at (2) the ratio between usage and assist rate (the number of assists generated when that player is on the floor)

real point guards will have a ratio of around .50:1, elite shooting guards and non-orchestrating "scoring point guards" will have a ratio of 1:1, swingmen will have a range from 1:1 to 1.35:1 but sometimes 1.5:1 is acceptable. anything above that is for "finishers" who have no business handling the ball. this ratio represents the player's contribution to offensive cohesion.

also (3) BPM or "box plus/minus" shows a players effectiveness on both sides of the ball, comprised of obpm and dbpm. looks like your assessment of green is accurate.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greendr01.html

Thank You DK

So basically there are different combinations of advanced STATS to use when analyzing depnding on their position and their games?
It is hard for Golden State as a lot of their games are actually blowouts, especially when David Lee came back and got back on track withBOget

A lot of times they do not play in the 4th quarter or are playing just to kill clock

Philly vs. New York: TANK BOWL I

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy