[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anybody really like this team?
Author Thread
knickgeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #46
USA
12/4/2001  3:07 PM
Fan loyalty is one thing; I want to support this team. But does anybody really honestly think this team has a chance of even going to the playoffs, let alone advancing?

It seems to me that what we have is a collection of good players but not a real team. The last good trade brought us Camby and Sprewell. Every trade since then has made us worse.

I'm still a Knick fan, but its hard to get too excited about this current configuration.
AUTOADVERT
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
12/4/2001  3:11 PM
I think we will definitely get to the playoffs, although maybe as only the 8th seed. It's a question of how deep can we get into the playoffs...my prediction is another first round exit.
We suck.
john44
Member: #115
USA
12/4/2001  3:31 PM
I agree we havent made to many good transactions that has made our team better. the only one u forgot about was the harrington trade. eventhough i think the rice trade will benefit us it hasnt worked out good at all for us so far. once spoon gets back we have to trade one of our PF and pg's.
Matt
knickgeek
USA
12/4/2001  3:34 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

I think we will definitely get to the playoffs, although maybe as only the 8th seed. It's a question of how deep can we get into the playoffs...my prediction is another first round exit.

They could go to the playoffs and I still may not feel any better about them. I just don't think they're going anywhere in the longer term. I don't know what it is they're missing; maybe it is "heart", mabye team chemistry. I trace it back to trading Patrick Ewing for Rice and Knight.

I know Patrick was getting old, but there's no way the Knicks were better (as sprewell said) without Patrick. That was proved by their early exit in the playoffs last year. (The first year without Ewing). Whatever else you want to say about Patrick, he was a warrior. He had heart, and he hated to lose.
knickgeek
USA
12/4/2001  3:36 PM
Posted by john44:

I agree we havent made to many good transactions that has made our team better. the only one u forgot about was the harrington trade. eventhough i think the rice trade will benefit us it hasnt worked out good at all for us so far. once spoon gets back we have to trade one of our PF and pg's.

You're right. I forgot about Harrington. I also think Jackson has been much better recently. I just don't think his offensive skills make up for his defensive deficiencies, at least in VG's defense oriented system.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/4/2001  3:58 PM
If this team plays the way they are capable of playing, they will not only get into the playoffs, but will advance a considerable ways. They have three players that are capable of being all-stars and once they get completely healthy, you should not bet against them. I know i won't.
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
12/4/2001  4:37 PM
I still have faith in the big 3...

I hate to be negative, but I mean we just had a home game against Houston, a team missing its do-it-all leader and is not having a great season - and we escaped with a narrow victory.

Right now I just don't see us beating a Milaukee or a Toronto in the playoffs.
We suck.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
12/4/2001  6:23 PM
Right now this team, OUR so called team, is trying to find a new identity finally in the post P. Ewing era. I feel as if this year will be our worst in years but not as bad as people thinks. That is because we are so accustomed to having a winning organisation that are expectations are always high. The destiny of this team however has not been determined. When we get our center and i know we will then we will see the real potential of this team. The mere fact of getting more offensive rebounds and a big prescence in the middle will reap immediate benefits. Getting Allan and Spree second shots in the same offensive set will also. So dont give up on this squad i wont they will come around believe me.
knicker for life
Caseloads
Member: #41
12/4/2001  6:38 PM
Posted by knickgeek:
Posted by MCfan23:

They could go to the playoffs and I still may not feel any better about them. I just don't think they're going anywhere in the longer term. I don't know what it is they're missing; maybe it is "heart", mabye team chemistry. I trace it back to trading Patrick Ewing for Rice and Knight.

I know Patrick was getting old, but there's no way the Knicks were better (as sprewell said) without Patrick. That was proved by their early exit in the playoffs last year. (The first year without Ewing). Whatever else you want to say about Patrick, he was a warrior. He had heart, and he hated to lose.
We have no heart, no passion. Where is the FIRE?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/4/2001  6:59 PM
We have no heart, no passion. Where is the FIRE?
Our team never does at the beginning of the season so thats nothing unusual. You know Spree and Camby will pick up the intensity as the season goes on and the team plays better and maybe Houston can pick it up as well. Just keep the faith cuz this team will be just fine.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
12/5/2001  6:00 AM
Look at last season, we could beat anyone but loose to anyone as well. If we make it to the playoffs I hope it will be the eigth seed so we can get a reasonable draft pick as well.
Caseloads
12/5/2001  11:57 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Look at last season, we could beat anyone but loose to anyone as well. If we make it to the playoffs I hope it will be the eigth seed so we can get a reasonable draft pick as well.
honestly, this year's draft is not 15 quality picks deep. The talents tail off after like the 12 pick or so - including international, high school ballers and unknowns.

so picks like 15-28 are all going to be on equal level, except for steals like last year's tinsley and tony parker, all the guys taken after 15 have not been huge (ok, maybe zach randolph, but still, most have been nothing outstanding like the earlier draft picks).
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:00 PM
You forgot Trenton Hassell. Or maybe Oscar Torres but then again he didn't get drafted at all. Boumtje Boumtje is really good as well. Most though are on the injured list so we can't really judge their progress can we? I was really curious about Jeryl Sasser but haven't seen him play..

anyways..
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:00 PM
I haven’t taken into account which number draft pick we get but these are the ones I would love to be a Knick.

Projected first round picks ranked in order of my own personal preference (not that we can get them and I based it abit on the positions we need to be injected with new blood desperately)

Yao Ming 7-5 270 C (although he’s actually a SF by play)
Jason Williams 6-2 195 PG
Chris Marcus 7-1 285 C
Amare Stoudemire 6-10 240 PF
Dajuan Wagner 6-2 200 PG/SG
Jiri Welsch 6-6 205 PG/SG
Lenny Cooke 6-6 206 SG/SF
Chris Jefferies 6-8 220 SF
Caron Butler 6-7 235 SF
Maurice Baker 6-1 175 PG
Frank Williams 6-3 PG
Jared Jeffries 6-9 220 SF
Tayshaun Prince 6-9 215 SF
Drew Gooden 6-10 230 SF/PF
Dan Dickau 6-1 189 PG
Troy Bell 6-1 180 PG
Brett Nelson 6-3 182 PG
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:01 PM
Projected second round round picks ranked in order of my own personal preference

Juan Carlos Navarro 6-4 PG/SG
Rasual Butler 6-7 205 SF
Tamar Slay 6-8 210 SG(SF)
Tito Maddox 6-4 190 PG
Bostjan Nachbar 6-8 SF
Lynn Greer 6-1 175 PG
Randy Holcomb 6-9 219 SF/PF
Juan Dixon 6-3 152 SG/PG (played it in highschool)
Steve Logan 6-0 198 PG (would rank him higher if he were taller)
Mario Stojic 6-6 SF
Dan Gadzuric 6-11 245 C ( I admit it, just because he’s dutch)
Kris Lang 6-11 256 PF/C.
John Salmons 6-7 200 SF.
Robert Archibald 6-11 250 C

I personally think we should get a SF with the first round pick and a PG in our second round pick. I think we’ll probably have two second round picks as we still are one or two due from Boston. If I were to be so lucky to be making the pick I would use this list and just mark them off when they are selected so I can get my personal highest pick which I’m guessing will be Jiri Welsch/Cooke/Jefferies/Butler. Unless scouts are going to really pick Welsch up as he’s hella nice but will have to strengthen up a little.. As for Juan Carlos Navarro “la bomba”, he should be a first round pick but is projected as a late second round pick. A no brainer pickup.

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 12/05/2001 19:04:44]
john44
Member: #115
USA
12/6/2001  12:08 PM
Why would anyone be looking into next years draft when this season is only 20 games old. Also what team in the east is so special that we cant make it to the finals. Of course we wouldnt have a chance against the Lakers but nobody does and eventhough a championship is the only thing that matters in NY fans should still give them some love for making the finals with this team.
Matt
Caseloads
12/6/2001  2:48 PM
Posted by john44:

Why would anyone be looking into next years draft when this season is only 20 games old. Also what team in the east is so special that we cant make it to the finals. Of course we wouldnt have a chance against the Lakers but nobody does and eventhough a championship is the only thing that matters in NY fans should still give them some love for making the finals with this team.

unfortunately, we are going to make the playoffs, and even if we go to the finals, we aren't going to win, but so what.

oh, and there is a trade rumor on the top shelf that keeps flying around in certain circles - Marcus Camby for Lamar Odom. The salaries don't match though, so i think it's more like:

Camby and Spoon/Harrington/Thomas for Odom and Kandi.
knickgeek
USA
12/6/2001  3:13 PM
Posted by john44:

I think when Camby is in there, and the Knicks maintain their concentration, they are good enough to win the east; the problem is that Camby has a tendency to injury, and the Knicks often lose their concentration, especially if they are up big.

Winning is, of course, the ultimate goal of any sports team, but
I'd still like to know what the long term plan is. How are we going to get good enough to one day win the finals? I think the ownership of the Knicks cynically trades and overspends to try to keep the Knicks in the playoffs and ticket prices high.

They don't develop the players they have - was Brunson really that bad or did he just not get enough playing time? Is Travis Knight really just a token white boy on the bench or might he contribute something? When will Lavor Postell get any significant minutes? Probably not until he is traded to another team.
Caseloads
12/6/2001  3:58 PM
Posted by knickgeek:
Posted by john44:

I think when Camby is in there, and the Knicks maintain their concentration, they are good enough to win the east; the problem is that Camby has a tendency to injury, and the Knicks often lose their concentration, especially if they are up big.

I'd still like to know what the long term plan is. How are we going to get good enough to one day win the finals? I think the ownership of the Knicks cynically trades and overspends to try to keep the Knicks in the playoffs and ticket prices high.

They don't develop the players they have - was Brunson really that bad or did he just not get enough playing time? Is Travis Knight really just a token white boy on the bench or might he contribute something? When will Lavor Postell get any significant minutes? Probably not until he is traded to another team.

You are RIGHT on the money with all your points. And clearly, brunson is not that bad, as he is logging minutes in portland.
Caseloads
12/6/2001  4:03 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by knickgeek:
Posted by john44:

You are RIGHT on the money with all your points. And clearly, brunson is not that bad, as he is logging minutes in portland.
the reason we'll never find out is that NY has a "win now at all costs mentality" and that's never going to get anyone other than the starters anywhere. I hope the other boys in blue are learning/ maturing in practice. I wouldn't mind trading anderson and letting postell play if postell's D is okay. the only thing about postell is he doesn't seem to understand the game and when he gets minutes he seems to rush everything and doesn't let the game come to him, he forces things... like jump shots. He needs to come in, play some good D and drive to the hoop and use some of his youthfulness and athleticsm instead of taking jumpers - taking Jumpers is allan houston's job. And since spree is slashing to the hoop less and less often, that job is open, Postell, you interested in filling the position?
Anybody really like this team?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy