[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

interesting read
Author Thread
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
12/4/2001  9:50 AM
We still have on roster slot open so we could actually get a good player for cheap wages...

article bits below
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/4/2001  9:51 AM
I finally see a familiar face in 6'7" point guard Lonnie Harrell. We're both products of D.C. He's a playground legend with great court vision and 25-foot radar who used to play with Zo at G-Town. But his lack of strength and his reliance on his street game, scouts say, has kept him out of the NBA. In a gym of nervous faces, he's calmly hoisting rainbow threes from half-court while giggling to himself. We all have our ways of dealing with stress. At 29, he's one of the oldest players here, and the D-League represents his last hope. I give him love and ask him about his chances. "I ain't worried about nothing," he says. "I'm good." His confidence is high because of a good showing at Nets camp earlier that week. "I shot Jason Kidd's eyes out in practice," he claims. "It was so bad they put us on the same team." He says Nets coach Byron Scott sat him down in his office and told him to keep in touch because, well, "you just never know."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/4/2001  9:52 AM
or

Former U. of Detroit point guard Rashad Phillips comes over to work on his trey. If there's a man on a mission here, it's the lightning-quick, 5'10" Phillips. After winning the MVP at the Portsmouth predraft camp and solid workouts with the Warriors, Knicks and Magic, RP was pegged as a late first-rounder. Draft night came and went, and his name wasn't called. He cried and felt cheated. Shad played on Golden State's summer league squad but, you know, numbers.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no25cpalm.html
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
12/4/2001  4:06 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on either one, but i'm not sure if they would make the team. I am fimilar with Rashad Phillips, but as small as he is, i can never see him being a solid pro. I am willing to take a chance on a 6-7 point guard to see what he can do. Under Van Gundy's system, if he can survive, they might be able to make a player out of him. We also need to look into solid 7-footers. I'm not sure whose out there, but anyone that looks good should be a possibility. The Knicks should really have those scouts at every NBDL game.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:41 AM
Well Boykins and Bogues seem to get away with it. I like Phillips, very fast and very good handle.

Harrell is even better but his game is already fully developed, so..

Delante “Lonnie” Harrell

Guard, Northeastern, Ht. 6-7, Wt. 205
High School: Eastern Senior HS, Washington, D.C.
Birthdate: November 11, 1972 (Washington, D.C)

BACKGROUND

Appeared in 25 games for the Tampa Bay Thunder Dawgs of the ABA 2000, averaging 15.2 points and 3.8 rebounds. Spent the summer of 2000 with the Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs of the USBL, where he played in 20 games and averaged 13.4 points. In 1999-00, was a member of the Baltimore Bay Runner of the International Basketball League (IBL). Averaged 10.8 points and 2.4 rebounds. Dished out 72 assists in 49 games. Played for the Rapid City Thrillers of the IBL in 1998-99.

Played his final two seasons at Northeastern after spending his first two at Georgetown. In 57 games at Northeastern, averaged 16.6 points and 5.0 rebounds. Scored in double figures in all but five games of his senior season. Made the America East All-Tournament team in both of his seasons.

In 56 games with the Hoyas, averaged 4.9 points and 2.2 rebounds.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:42 AM
Rashad Keith Phillips

Guard, Detroit, Ht. 5-10, Wt. 162
High School: Ferndale HS, Ferndale, Mich.
Birthdate: May 5, 1978 (Detroit)

BACKGROUND

Named Honorable Mention All-America by AP as a senior. Honored with the Francis Pomeroy Naismith Award as the top senior player in the country under six feet. Ranks first on Detroit’s career list in points (2,319), three-point field goals (348), three-point attempts (879) and free throws made (541). Is second in steals (190) and free throw percentage (.875), third in free throw attempts (618), fourth in assists (548) and seventh in scoring average (17.8 ppg). Holds single-season records for points (785), three-point field goals (136) and free throw percentage (.916). Was a two-time Midwestern Collegiate Conference Player of the Year (2000 and 2001). Named First Team MCC in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Is the only player in school history to total 1,000 points and 500 assists. Became the third player ever to lead the MCC in scoring two straight seasons (2000 and 2001).

Led the Titans and was sixth nationally in scoring (22.4 ppg). Was fourth in the nation in free throw percentage (.916) and second in three-pointers made per game (3.9). Named First Team All-MCC. Led Detroit to semifinals of the NIT, where he was named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 23.6 points.

As a junior, finished sixth in the nation in scoring (23.0 ppg). His 735 total points was the third-highest one year total in school history. Finished 14th in the nation in free throw percentage (.870) and 15th in three-pointers made per game (3.2). Scored career-high 34 vs. both Georgia State and Loyola. Named MCC Player of the Year and First Team All-MCC. Became just the second player in conference history to lead the league in scoring and assists (Loyola’s Darius Clemons, 1981).

Led the Titans in scoring (15.7 ppg) as a sophomore, ranking third in the conference. Was named MVP of the MCC Tournament after averaging 16.7 points, 5.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds in three tourney victories. Named to the MCC’s All-Defensive Team.

Named MCC Newcomer of the Year in 1997-98. Finished fourth on the team in scoring (10.0 ppg).
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/5/2001  7:44 AM
Bare with me, these are some prospects to keep in the back of your mind to fulfill the "brunson" role if we trade one of our PG's away for say, Marc Jackson for instance.

We could pick them up now and waive Larry Robinson who doesn't see the light of day anyway. But I wonder if our GM has any plans to trade one of our PG's.
Caseloads
Member: #41
12/5/2001  11:45 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Bare with me, these are some prospects to keep in the back of your mind to fulfill the "brunson" role if we trade one of our PG's away for say, Marc Jackson for instance.

We could pick them up now and waive Larry Robinson who doesn't see the light of day anyway. But I wonder if our GM has any plans to trade one of our PG's.
I can't believe how much game Brunson has, he's actually playing in Portland, VG does really shackle players here, Brunson was always a garbage player in garbage time here, which sucked, i knew he had game... for real.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/5/2001  12:38 PM
Brunson's big, he shoots well, and passes well. In this league you can be a good point guard with those qualities. I'd love to take a chance on Harrell though.
interesting read

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy