Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
6/11/2004  4:01 AM
Insider Special: Rumours (updated 6/10)

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Grant Hill
Magic
? Jun. 10 - Believe it or not, there are teams out there who want Hill. Or, rather, the cap space Hill can potentially create. "I've had four or five teams call about Grant," Magic general manager John Weisbrod said in the Orlando Sentinel. "It's a little surprising."

Of course, the acquiring team would still be on the hook for the remaining $47 million in salary, but it would come off the books if Hill reinjures himself and is forced to retire. The risk, though, is that Hill would refuse to quit and the team would be stuck with him and his contract. "It excites me that teams still want me and are willing to take a risk," Hill said, missing the point. "The bottom line is that I want to play and I want to play here."

Jamal Crawford
Bulls
? Jun. 10 - Officially, Crawford will soon become a restricted free agent, meaning he doesn't work for the Bulls. And if that's the case, then Crawford is refusing the attend summer workouts at the Bulls' Berto Center even if he does want the Bulls to re-sign him. "I don't know if I'll be back," the point guard said in the Chicago Sun Times. "I think about it all the time, and it will be interesting. I'll talk to the Bulls first because I love playing for Scott Skiles, but I'll be prepared for anything. If some team is interested in me, I'll be interested in them."

Vince Carter
Raptors
Raptors Jun. 10 - The Toronto Star is reporting that Carter isn't asking for a trade and the Raptors aren't involved in any trade talks. However, tension is mounting after the team refused to hire Julius Erving. The paper mentions nothing specific except to say that Carter has privately mentioned his dissatisfaction.

Kobe Bryant
Lakers
Lakers
Suns
Clippers
Spurs Jun. 9 - Depending on who you believe, Kobe Bryant plans to opt out of his current contract in order to A) secure a longer tenure with the Lakers, or B) because he can't wait to leave the organization. Bryant told the New York Post on Tuesday that he would make a recruiting visit to New York if the Knicks extend an invitation when free agency begins in three weeks. "I'm going to listen to all options. If he (Knicks GM Isiah Thomas) invites me, I'll be there," Bryant said.

The Arizona Republic reported last week that while the Suns would love to land Bryant, they know the risk involved in pursuing him while disregarding other more realistic options. That's why they also have been mentioned in rumors concerning the acquisition of Tracy McGrady or Manu Ginobili, possibly using Shawn Marion and their No. 7 lottery pick to facilitate a deal.

If you subscribe to the theory that Kobe simply wants a better deal in L.A., the Chicago Tribune's Sam Smith proposes a plan that has the Lakers keeping Kobe, shipping out Shaquille O'Neal and preparing to make a run at Yao Ming when he becomes a free agent in 2006, when Bryant will be 28 -- the same age Michael Jordan began his string of NBA titles.

Phil Jackson
Lakers
Lakers Jun. 9 - Being the daughter of the owner and girlfriend of the coach gives Jeanie Buss some exclusive insight and she says Jackson will be in L.A. next season.

"That's my personal feeling," she said in the L.A. Daily News. "I have not had this conversation with Mitch (Kupchak, the general manager), or my dad, but I feel that, given the way things have been going, I can't see how we can't continue with them the way they are."

But no one thinks it's going to be quite that easy with Phil, Kobe, Malone or Payton when the season ends and contracts expire or are opted out of. "She freelanced that," said Jackson. Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Lakers had already offered Jackson one year at $10 million but he turned it down in hopes of getting a two-year deal worth $25 million.

Malik Rose
Spurs
Bobcats Jun. 9 - Rose can see the writing on the wall. His days in San Antonio appear to be numbered as the team likely won't protect him in the upcoming expansion draft.

"It's like a mathematics problem," Rose said in the Express News. "They have to leave a certain number of players off to protect a certain amount of players. ... They have to protect the guys they think are going to help them the most. And I'm not going to be on that list."

Since signing a long-term deal two years ago, Rose has clashed with head coach Gregg Popovich often. "That was one of the greatest moments in my life," Rose said of his $42 million deal, "and it's turned out to be a huge thorn in my side for certain reasons."

Marcus Camby
Nuggets
Nuggets Jun. 9 - It's official. Camby opted out of his contract with the Nuggets in hopes of securing a longer deal with the team, which he hopes happens soon. "If they come out correct, I don't have no reason to go with any other cities or any other teams," he said in the Denver Post. "I would definitely want to get (a contract) out of the way as soon as possible."

The move also helps the Nuggets, allowing them protect another player on their roster in the expansion draft. "I see it as a positive for both sides, really," Vandeweghe said Tuesday. "At the end of the day, I think Marcus wants to be in Denver, and we certainly want him back."

Troy Hudson
Timberwolves
Timberwolves Jun. 9 - Rehab on his injured ankle will begin in a month, but free agency began last week for Hudson when he opted out his contract with the Timberwolves. Although he hopes to stay with the team, he also hopes to be getting paid more than the $2.1 million he was due if he had kept his current deal.

"My only concern right now is, I would love to be in Minnesota," Hudson said in the Star Tribune. "I have a house here. I'm type of player who's tired of moving around. It's a Midwestern city, I'm from the Midwest. This is where I want to be. I'm a free agent right now, I'm not denying it, but for me, right now, the Timberwolves are my team. I wish I could sign a contract tomorrow. But it's a negotiating process, they have to do what's best for them and I have to do what's best for me . . . You just get to point where you feel that you deserve a little more."

Alonzo Mourning
Nets
Nets Jun. 8 - The Nets hope Mourning comes back. Jason Kidd said he expects Alonzo to come back. But someone, obviously, forgot to check with Morning. "Barring a miracle, no, that is not my intention," said Mourning in the Bergen Country Record.

"My intention right now is to continue to focus on making sure that this new organ that I have in me stays in me. I don't want to go through that procedure again."

Mourning is still recovering from kidney surgery, though he has made constant appearances behind the Nets' bench. "As far as the possibility of me playing again, that is something that yes, being around the game, obviously I think about," he said. "But it is not an issue. The important issue is making sure that my body keeps its kidney."

Earl Watson
Grizzlies
Timberwolves Jun. 8 - The St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Timberwolves are trying to work out a deal through the Charlotte Bobcats and the expansion draft that would land them Watson. The paper also reports that franchise player Kevin Garnett would much rather have Troy Hudson back, but Hudson appears set on testing the free-agent market. Hudson, who is expected to opt out of his contract soon, could make $2.1 million with the Timberwolves next year.

Head coach
Hawks
Mike Brown
Del Harris
John McLeod
Dwayne Casey
Mike Woodson
Mike Fratello Jun. 7 - The list of potential head coaches for the Atlanta Hawks continues to grow, with the Indianapolis Star reporting Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown will interview for the job next week. As Indiana's defensive coordinator, Brown was largely responsible for the Pacers improved play on that end of the floor.

He is now on a list in Atlanta that already includes Dallas assistant Del Harris, Denver assistant John McLeod and Seattle assistant Dwayne Casey. Others expected to interview are Detroit assistant Mike Woodson and former Atlanta and Cleveland head coach Mike Fratello.

Antonio McDyess
Suns
Rockets Jun. 7 - The Rockets wanted Antonio McDyess when he was at his peak a few years ago. They might finally have a shot at him now.

"I have had no ... conversations with the Houston Rockets about Antonio McDyess," McDyess' agent, Andy Miller, told the Houston Chronicle. "But Antonio has indicated to me that, one, remaining in his adopted hometown of Houston, Texas, is very appealing to him. He loves the city and community. Two, he has a high regard and respect for the team, its personnel, management and coaching staff. And three, this would provide him the opportunity to win, to contribute to the success they are having, and to go over and above what they've already achieved."

McDyess averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds from 1998-99 through 2000-01 but has played in only 52 games since because of lingering effects of a major knee injury.

Pau Gasol
Grizzlies
Grizzlies Jun. 7 - No one knows better than Jerry West that Memphis needs to make a move to get to the next level, but potential trading partners might as well scratch Gasol off their wish list.

"Every once in a while I hear Pau Gasol's name mentioned in trades," West told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "The last six champions in the NBA have all had a player who is very good with his back to the basket. And unless somebody is offering us Shaquille O'Neal or Kobe Bryant or a player of that magnitude, I would never be willing to trade Gasol. Another player in my mind is James Posey."

West, however, did say he is trying to put together a deal and wouldn't be opposed to including the team's draft picks.

Vlade Divac
Kings
Kings
? Jun. 4 - Vlade Divac may be a free agent, but he's still a King at heart. "The Kings are my first option," said Divac in the Sacramento Bee. "I feel like a King. I came here six years ago because I believe in Geoff (Petrie) and the things we can do. It would have to be perfect situation for me to leave."

Recently, Divac has considered teams like the Clippers and Lakers (where he started his career) and even retirement. But with the Kings' future in flux, he seems to want to stick around and see it through. "I think we have the best team in the league," he said. "It just has to click together. What really ticks me off is that I saw great talent, I saw opportunity, and we didn't capitalize. I don't know why it happened."

Al Harrington
Pacers
Pacers
Bulls Jun. 4 - Al Harrington may be the odd man out of the Pacers' small forward rotation. "This is an unbalanced roster," coach Rick Carlisle said in the Indianapolis Star. "There are a glut of guys at the small forward spot, and there haven't been enough minutes. I don't think this team will be back in our exact form next year. I just think there will be some changes, through free agency, the draft or trades. There's going to be some things that are different, without question."

Harrington believes he should be starting. Carlisle believes he should be starting. The problem is that there can be only one starting small forward on the team and the Pacers already have Ron Artest. "This has been a tough situation for Al," Carlisle said. "I view him as a starter in this league. As the summer progresses we'll see what takes form. If there was the opportunity for him to be a starter here, that would be great. If there isn't, it may be time for him to move on to another team."

The Bulls are interested in Harrington, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, but likely won't be willing to trade the No. 3 pick in the draft for him.

Gary Payton
Lakers
? Jun. 4 - Rather than change his address and head coach for a second time in two seasons, Gary Payton may, instead, change his mind and his own style of play to stay with the Lakers.

"Let me work at standstill jumpshots if that's what it's going to be," Payton said in the Orange County Register. "In the summer, if that's what I want to do, I'd work on that."

It has been reported in the past that Payton was unhappy with the current Laker situation and would opt out of his contract at the conclusion of the season. He has since softened his stance and linked his stay to Karl Malone. But this is the first sign that he would go to such an extreme to remain in L.A.

Eddy Curry
Bulls
Mavs
Sonics
Blazers May. 28 - According to the Chicago Tribune, both the Grizzlies and SuperSonics have contacted the Bulls about Curry, as both look for a low-post presence to contend in the big-man dominated West. The paper suggests the Grizzlies could offer Pau Gasol and Shane Battier for Curry, Chicago's first-round pick (No. 3 overall) and one of the Bulls' bad contracts.

Or, the paper proposes, Seattle could offer Ray Allen and the No. 12 pick in the draft for Curry, the No. 3 pick and a bad contract of someone like Jerome Williams or Antonio Davis.

Latrell Sprewell
Timberwolves
Wolves
Spurs Jun. 3 - There's speculation that the Spurs will make another run at Sprewell after losing out to the Wolves last year. Sprewell can become a free agent next month because of an opt out clause in his contract, but Wolves owner Glen Taylor is confident Spree will be staying in Minnesota.

"He's our player right now, so he is assured of $14.6 million," Taylor said in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I wouldn't think that he would want to play on a team unless it was a winning team. I think that cuts it down pretty much."

Fred Hoiberg and Trenton Hassell can also leave the team for similar reasons, but seem to be staying out of team camaraderie. However, point guard Troy Hudson, who made only $2.7 million this year, is leaning toward testing the market.

Kurt Thomas
Knicks
? Jun. 3 - Knicks head coach Lenny Wilkins mentioned the need for a stronger, bigger power forward, which immediately started speculation that the Knicks might use veteran Kurt Thomas as trade bait despite the fact that he had just signed a four-year extension worth about $30 million. The New York Daily News reports that any deal would have to include a 20 percent trade kicker that might scare off any potential suitors for Thomas. Besides, he is already the team's leading rebounder, second in blocked shots and, "I think everybody saw I could play with the injury," he said. "I don't think that will be a factor or anything."

Scottie Pippen
Bulls
? Jun. 2 - Though Pippen has said he probably will retire, the Arlington Heights Daily Herald reports Bulls GM John Paxson could use Pippen's contract to help balance a trade involving the No. 3 pick in this year's draft.

"To get deals done, you need salaries to match up," Paxson told the paper. "We'll have to use whatever means we have to make a deal. I can't rule out anything or rule in anything."

Pippen has one year left on his contract at $5.4 million.

Ray Allen
Sonics
Nets? Jun. 2 - According to the N.Y. Post, the Nets have contacted the Sonics about a deal for Allen, entering the final year of his contract at $14.625 million, that would send Kerry Kittles and a combination of other players to Seattle. Kittles is scheduled to make $10.2 million next season and is likely to be left unprotected in the expansion draft.

Antoine Walker
Mavericks
? Jun. 2 - The Dallas Morning News reports that if the Mavericks retain Walker for next season, he likely will be relegated to a reserve role. If that's the case, the paper suggests, he might be more open to a trade or to opt out of the final year of his contract, worth $14.5 million.

Steve Nash
Mavericks
Mavericks
Nuggets
Suns Jun. 1 - Nash is among the free agents Denver will be pursuing, reports ESPN.com's Marc Stein, but the team with the best (albeit slim) chance of wooing Nash away from virtual blood brothers Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley is Phoenix.

Nash never sold the house he bought as a Phoenix youngster -- his family still uses it -- and the early word is the Suns will make Nash their No. 1 free-agent target, not Kobe Bryant, since they see actually landing Bryant as a long-shot fantasy.

Tracy McGrady
Magic
Magic
? May. 28 - McGrady says he's 90 percent sure what he wants to do, but he has yet to tell his current team what that is. "The dilemma for the franchise is, 'Do you want to try and win now or wait two or three years for a guy to develop?' " McGrady told Florida Today, not swayed at all by the team's upcoming No. 1 pick.

"I'm just saying, I'm not trying to wait that long to win. I was in that situation last year, and I just can't see going another couple of years losing and waiting on players to develop. I just don't think I can do that. I just think that it would be best to go get a guy ready to fill a role and contribute right away."

But in the same breath, he states: "I love Orlando, because it's home, and I love the fans. They have been great to me. I don't want to leave, and I'm sure a lot of them don't want me to leave, either. But if we can't change the team this summer, I just think the best thing would be for me to move on."

McGrady mentioned the Spurs and Lakers as places he'd like to go if he does decide to leave Orlando.

Rasheed Wallace
Pistons
Pistons
Knicks May. 28 - Who knows what free-agent-to-be Rasheed Wallace is thinking on a day-to-day basis, but at least, for now, he's got the Detroit Pistons on his mind. "That's definitely a strong possibility," Wallace told the Detroit News about re-signing with the Pistons. "I definitely like it. They're a good bunch of guys."

New York was originally thought to be his destination of choice, but his time spent alongside Ben Wallace in a championship race may have changed that. "They complement each other," teammate Richard Hamilton said. "They know where each other is at all times of the game."

Mehmet Okur
Pistons
Pistons
Mavericks
Suns
Nuggets
Jazz May. 28 - The Detroit Free Press is reporting Okur may command as much as $8.5 million in free agency. "I'm excited about my future," Okur told the paper. "I'm not nervous about what might happen this summer. I know that if we do well and keep playing that people will pay attention. Everything will be OK."

At that price, though, the Pistons might have to decide if they want to focus on the immediate future with Rasheed Wallace or look down the road with Okur. It has become apparent that they cannot sign both.

"I'm happy here," Okur said. "This is where I started. My friends are here. I'm happy with coaches and my teammates. I have a good time with them. It's a lot of fun. I don't want to talk about (free agency) because we're doing well, and that's what's important right now."

If the Pistons cannot re-sign Okur, the second-year PF/C from Turkey will have plenty of suitors. The Deseret News of Utah indicates the Mavericks and Knicks have joined a list that already included the Suns, Nuggets and Jazz.

Greg Ostertag
Jazz
Jazz
Mavericks May. 27 - Utah may have been his first and only NBA gig so far, but home has always been Texas for center Greg Ostertag. And when he becomes a free agent on July 1, he has no reservations of returning. "I'm hoping they'll bring me in to talk about it at the appropriate time," Ostertag said in the Dallas Morning News. "I'm not a scorer and they don't need a scorer. They need a rebounder and shot-blocker, which I can be. I'm going to look at all my options. But it would be my ultimate dream to play in Dallas."

The paper goes on to note that the Mavs could split their mid-level exception between Ostertag and Marquis Daniels, spend their $1.6 million minimum exception on him or negotiate a sign and trade with the Jazz. But even if Ostertag stays in Utah, he is expected to take a big cut from the $8.6 million he made last season with the Jazz.

Brent Barry
Sonics
Sonics
Nets
Nuggets
Cavs
Warriors May. 25 - Expect the Nets, Nuggets, Cavs and Warriors to make runs at Barry in free agency, according to the New York Daily News. The paper indicates Barry will be seeking the mid-level exception of $5 million per year over three to four years. However, the Seattle Times cites sources who say Barry has turned down a three-year, $18 million deal to re-sign with the Sonics and is seeking a four-year contract. The Times indicates the Sonics still hope to re-sign him.

AUTOADVERT
Insider Special: Rumours (updated 6/10)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy