[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Larry Bird's comments
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/11/2004  8:36 AM
as a person of power, he has an obligation to express himself like veryone else but do it intelligently. i mean, bird is a world renowned athlete who has been a part of the professional life of basketball for about a decade. he should know how to express his opinion without lokking like an idiot. do i think bird is racist? not at all. but he, as well as a lot of people in the world, has some prejudices. if he was asked if he thinks more white athletes are needed in sports, he should have said," i love basketball if there were blacks, white, asians or hispanic playing. unfortunately, there are some people who do not see it this way. most of america for the time being happens to be white. so they want to usually see someone who resembles them playing well. all because of association. it does not matter to me but unfortunately, from a business standpoint, it does". but instead, he sounded like a stereotypical person from french lick, indiana who stayed in his little town for 40 years.
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/11/2004  9:09 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:

to put this thread into context there are (generally speaking) 2 types of definitions for racism.

The first is a mild one: belief that a race accounts for differences in character or ability and that one particular race is superior to another. I would note the emphasis on belief (however that may be accounted for).

The other is far more stinging: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Was Larry Bird's the first or the second? Got to believe it was the first.

when did i even touch on racism? i said what Bird said was ignorant & encompassed only a limited scope of sports in general, because he didn't take into account other sports like i've been talking about. Can we steer clear of the racism charges here? no one is saying Larry Bird is a racist.

Actually you have mentioned race, black, white, and other general racism comments in just about each one of you posts. Birds comments were overtly racist (in a praising way).

i mentioned race because that was what Larry Bird was addressing with his comments...not ONCE did i ever mention that i thought Bird was a racist...so please, can you not put words into my mouth? if you want to take this to a discussion of racism, that's your choice...i'm not even talking about that...

obviously you totally misconstrued everything i have said up to this point...what i said was that his comments were based on a limited scope of athletes & overgeneralized w/o even considering the top athletes of so many other areas of competitive sports & athletic events...& in that sense, what he said was ignorant...ignorant, as in lacking knowledge of fact in deriving a misinformed opinion that overgeneralizes an entire race of people.

now i'm done explaining myself on this...after all, this is MY OPINION...& since you all believe Larry Bird is entitled to his, i guess i am entitled to say he's ignorant as well.

I think using the term ignorant when describing a white person who has the balls to say how they feel about a topic involving race has become a generalization as well. A white man has an opinion that isnt 100% politically correct and all of a sudden they are deemed ignorant. This is a subject that will never have agreement or comproise reached on any side.

Was Bill Cosby being ignorant when he made his comments? Or was he just hitting a nerve? I think its about time this country woke up and starting dealing with the real issues. Stop acting like babies and really get all of this BS out in the open. That goes for Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics....everyone. Don't people realize this kind of thought is what is keeping humanity from moving forward? It is rediculous, and every color is to blame. However you cannot change people's opinions so I don't see this issue getting solved - it certainly won't be solved on an internet message board. Its just sad that it always comes up yet both sides retreat in the end and refuse to work it out.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/11/2004  9:54 AM
please, if an Asian guy had said that the best athletes in the world are black, i would still have had an issue with it...this has nothing to do w/the color of Bird's skin...how many times do i have to reiterate that? it has to do w/the statement itself being overgeneralizing, & in many cases, inaccurate.

nevermind, i shouldn't have bothered to try & debate something like this.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/11/2004  10:04 AM
Posted by TMS:

please, if an Asian guy had said that the best athletes in the world are black, i would still have had an issue with it...this has nothing to do w/the color of Bird's skin...how many times do i have to reiterate that? it has to do w/the statement itself being overgeneralizing, & in many cases, inaccurate.

nevermind, i shouldn't have bothered to try & debate something like this.

i guess neither of us has a good idea of Bird's expertise on greatest athletes in the world, but he does have a fairly good background competing and studying professional athletes in general. To say that he only played basketball does not preclude Bird from studying all athletes in general.

Seriously, what type of person would you consider eligible to make a general comment like Bird did? I would say that a professional athlete would be a candidate. And what's wrong with making generic comments? They can be inaccurate, but that's the nature of generic comments.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
USA
6/11/2004  11:00 AM
it's overgeneralizing...those types of comments don't need to be put out there to the general public, because they oftentimes send the wrong message to people who automatically assume that what he's saying is true & accurate, when it's actually not...he's totally ignoring so many other aspects of sports when he makes a statement like that...

& whether you believe it or not, when a guy like "Larry Legend" says something, some people will believe him...you would figure he'd be intelligent enough to research ALL the facts before he decided to make a generic statement like this...it was ignorant on his part, bottomline...that's the only point i was trying to make.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
jazz74
6/11/2004  11:16 AM
Posted by OasisBU:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:

to put this thread into context there are (generally speaking) 2 types of definitions for racism.

The first is a mild one: belief that a race accounts for differences in character or ability and that one particular race is superior to another. I would note the emphasis on belief (however that may be accounted for).

when did i even touch on racism? i said what Bird said was ignorant & encompassed only a limited scope of sports in general, because he didn't take into account other sports like i've been talking about. Can we steer clear of the racism charges here? no one is saying Larry Bird is a racist.

Actually you have mentioned race, black, white, and other general racism comments in just about each one of you posts. Birds comments were overtly racist (in a praising way).

i mentioned race because that was what Larry Bird was addressing with his comments...not ONCE did i ever mention that i thought Bird was a racist...so please, can you not put words into my mouth? if you want to take this to a discussion of racism, that's your choice...i'm not even talking about that...

obviously you totally misconstrued everything i have said up to this point...what i said was that his comments were based on a limited scope of athletes & overgeneralized w/o even considering the top athletes of so many other areas of competitive sports & athletic events...& in that sense, what he said was ignorant...ignorant, as in lacking knowledge of fact in deriving a misinformed opinion that overgeneralizes an entire race of people.

now i'm done explaining myself on this...after all, this is MY OPINION...& since you all believe Larry Bird is entitled to his, i guess i am entitled to say he's ignorant as well.

I think using the term ignorant when describing a white person who has the balls to say how they feel about a topic involving race has become a generalization as well. A white man has an opinion that isnt 100% politically correct and all of a sudden they are deemed ignorant. This is a subject that will never have agreement or comproise reached on any side.

Was Bill Cosby being ignorant when he made his comments? Or was he just hitting a nerve? I think its about time this country woke up and starting dealing with the real issues. Stop acting like babies and really get all of this BS out in the open. That goes for Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics....everyone. Don't people realize this kind of thought is what is keeping humanity from moving forward? It is rediculous, and every color is to blame. However you cannot change people's opinions so I don't see this issue getting solved - it certainly won't be solved on an internet message board. Its just sad that it always comes up yet both sides retreat in the end and refuse to work it out.

yes, you can say that talking about race is ignorant. it is ignoring the reprecussions your statement makes. that is what happened to bird. having opinions are fine but if you deal with the media and have a position of power, you need to be responsible and think before you talk. i don't mind talking about race but there are better ways to express yourself than making generalizations
martin
USA
6/11/2004  11:22 AM
Posted by TMS:

it's overgeneralizing...those types of comments don't need to be put out there to the general public, because they oftentimes send the wrong message to people who automatically assume that what he's saying is true & accurate, when it's actually not...he's totally ignoring so many other aspects of sports when he makes a statement like that...

& whether you believe it or not, when a guy like "Larry Legend" says something, some people will believe him...you would figure he'd be intelligent enough to research ALL the facts before he decided to make a generic statement like this...it was ignorant on his part, bottomline...that's the only point i was trying to make.

so what you are saying is that you have it on good word that Larry didn't use enough research to make a generic statement and so it is instantly ignorant?

How does over 10 years as a professional athlete whose main job is to study other athletes not make Larry at least a little bit qualifed?

I am imagining a big imaginary line out there that showing you if you have done enough research or not. One side says 'Ignorant', the other says 'Qualified To Make Generic Statement'. Still not sure how you know where to draw that line.

I like to give people out there more credit than you do. People say stuff all the time, whether they are low or high on the totem pole, and it is up to each listener to individually to assess the value of gerenic statements, opinions, "stated facts", etc. Let's put the pressure on the listener and not the speaker.
martin
USA
6/11/2004  11:24 AM
Posted by jazz74:
Posted by OasisBU:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by martin:

yes, you can say that talking about race is ignorant. it is ignoring the reprecussions your statement makes. that is what happened to bird. having opinions are fine but if you deal with the media and have a position of power, you need to be responsible and think before you talk. i don't mind talking about race but there are better ways to express yourself than making generalizations

so what are the reprecussions of Bird saying that he thinks blacks are the best athletes around?
jazz74
6/11/2004  11:30 AM
the reprecussions are negative media attention. the possibility of offending key members of the staff not to mention players. credibility possibly damaged.
TMS
USA
6/11/2004  12:29 PM
Posted by martin:

so what you are saying is that you have it on good word that Larry didn't use enough research to make a generic statement and so it is instantly ignorant?

ummmm...nooo...

what i'm saying is that what Bird said didn't touch on so many other aspects of sports in general that what he said WAS ignorant...if you did a little research into the entire scope of what he was saying, you would realize that...if he meant to base his opinion on black athletes who played basketball, he should have kept the statement to that limited scope, & not generalize the way he did.

honestly, i don't understand what you're debating me with...are you trying to say Larry's entitled to his opinion, or are you trying to tell me that what i'm saying here is inaccurate?
How does over 10 years as a professional athlete whose main job is to study other athletes not make Larry at least a little bit qualifed?

I am imagining a big imaginary line out there that showing you if you have done enough research or not. One side says 'Ignorant', the other says 'Qualified To Make Generic Statement'. Still not sure how you know where to draw that line.

qualified if he had said "Black BASKETBALL PLAYERS" maybe...but he didn't say that, now did he? or did his playing career also involve the study of athletes outside the realm of basketball that i would have known he would be able to comment on w/expertise? & no, contrary to the assumptions & imaginary line you are making up here, i don't pretend to be any more qualified than anyone else to state an opinion on this matter, but i at least have taken the time to consider the statement Larry Bird gave & think about all the other examples that would prove to the contrary...does that mean i can't say that what Larry Bird said was "ignorant"?
I like to give people out there more credit than you do. People say stuff all the time, whether they are low or high on the totem pole, and it is up to each listener to individually to assess the value of gerenic statements, opinions, "stated facts", etc. Let's put the pressure on the listener and not the speaker.

whether you believe so or not, people like Larry Bird who are highly respected & are in the public eye need to think carefully about what they say to the media, because their comments are taken to heart by alot of people who respect & admire them...oftentimes, people don't even bother to take the time to research whether or not those statements are factually accurate or not...

haven't you ever heard of the phrase "IGNORANCE BREEDS IGNORANCE"? you don't see the danger in these kinds of comments by a respected public figure like Larry Bird?
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
6/11/2004  12:49 PM
So what exactly is the uproar here?

Are we offended on behalf of decathletes everywhere that feel like they have been overlooked by Bird's statement?

Are White people offended because Bird feels that Blacks are better athetes?

Are researchers everywhere offended that Larry didn't look into things further before making a statement?

Are qualified sports analysts everywhere offended because Larry is stepping on their toes with his unqualified opinion?

Are top executives everywhere offended that Bird, as a top level exec, made a contreversial and generalized comment that could reflect poorly on the executive community as a whole?
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
martin
USA
6/11/2004  1:11 PM
Posted by jazz74:

the reprecussions are negative media attention. the possibility of offending key members of the staff not to mention players. credibility possibly damaged.

I'll have to check in with Austin Croshere and Jeff Foster to see if their feelings were hurt; they're busy watching the DVD of White Men Can't Jump and forming letters to send off to political representatives in their district. I'll get back to you on what Artest & ONeil have to say about being considered some of the best athletes in the world, although the praise may be a blow to their egos. Donnie Walsh may not be able to do his job either, so maybe Al Harrington won't be on a new team next year. Don't know about the media, but they usually like the attention.
TMS
USA
6/11/2004  1:27 PM
some people here are trying to present points in a non-sarcastic way...you'd figure you could make a point w/o resorting to that.

[Edited by - TMS on 06/11/2004 13:28:21]
martin
USA
6/11/2004  1:45 PM
let me take this from a wildly different angle.

"I say grass is green."

I have mowed lawns before and have studied about 2 acres worth of grass. I do know there are lots of different types of grass out there but I haven't seen them all. I have not put much thought towards grass other than that. In my own world I am a high profile person. I have told children in my neighborhood that grass is green. I am neither a gardener nor a botanical expert.

Was my statement ignorant because it was generic?
OasisBU
USA
6/11/2004  2:46 PM
Maybe Larry should have worded it differently so that people wouldnt take it the wrong way. I agree with Jazz on that - he is in a position of power where he is seen as a role model and should be careful about the things he says because of the way they are interpreted. However he should also not be afraid to speak his mind, because that undermines what this country is supposed to be about.

As far as the NBA earning more $$$ by having more white athletes on the floor...I think thats a bunch of BS. I am white, and the reason I watch basketball is not to see other people like myself on the court. I watch it to see the best athletes in the world compete in the greatest game ever created by man - I do not care what color they are, how many tatoos they have on their bodies, or if they listen to country music, rap, whatever. I like watching Europeans play because of their shooting and passing fundamentals, I like watching black american players because their athleticism, shooting, dunking, defense, and swagger is some of the best you can find on any field or court, I like watching Yao because he is really the first Chinese player to have an impact in the NBA - he has size, fundamentals, and he is a pretty funny guy. I think Nene is pretty cool too.

The thing is when I am watching basketball I am not focused on the fact that Dirk is white and Webber is black - I am thinking these are two of the best big men of our time leaving it all out there, and the product is extremly entertaining, even if the guy/team I am rooting for loses.

In that sense Bird is wrong, I dont agree that white players would make me more interested in watching the NBA.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/11/2004  3:14 PM
Oasis...maybe not you, or the avid NBA fan, but more so casual baskeball fans are what Bird is talking about. The casual fan is more likely to buy tickets, buy jerseys. That has been proved with Yao, Tiger, and other athelets that people relate to easily.

Posted by OasisBU:

In that sense Bird is wrong, I dont agree that white players would make me more interested in watching the NBA.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
jazz74
6/11/2004  3:19 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by jazz74:

I'll have to check in with Austin Croshere and Jeff Foster to see if their feelings were hurt; they're busy watching the DVD of White Men Can't Jump and forming letters to send off to political representatives in their district. I'll get back to you on what Artest & ONeil have to say about being considered some of the best athletes in the world, although the praise may be a blow to their egos. Donnie Walsh may not be able to do his job either, so maybe Al Harrington won't be on a new team next year. Don't know about the media, but they usually like the attention.

come on, martin. you know what i mean. sometimes what people say are very powerful and could start ripple effects. it is hard to shake that stigmatation. like isiah's comments about larry bird 15 years ago. i am sure that a person like thomas could have had many more offers for jobs and a lot sooner but there are people who remember him agreeing on a comment. not saying but just agreeing with a teammate. so what it was supposed to be a "positive" generalization. just becuase it was positive gives him the right to categorize the whole race? practically saying the nba is too black is "positive"? like i said, i do not think he really meant to categorize anybody but it is all semantics. you need to be careful about how you word things. i agree that race is a topic that are too sensitive for most people including african americans. but a person dealing with the media almost on a daily basis since the age of 19 should know better.
TMS
USA
6/11/2004  3:51 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Maybe Larry should have worded it differently so that people wouldnt take it the wrong way. I agree with Jazz on that - he is in a position of power where he is seen as a role model and should be careful about the things he says because of the way they are interpreted. However he should also not be afraid to speak his mind, because that undermines what this country is supposed to be about.

As far as the NBA earning more $$$ by having more white athletes on the floor...I think thats a bunch of BS. I am white, and the reason I watch basketball is not to see other people like myself on the court. I watch it to see the best athletes in the world compete in the greatest game ever created by man - I do not care what color they are, how many tatoos they have on their bodies, or if they listen to country music, rap, whatever. I like watching Europeans play because of their shooting and passing fundamentals, I like watching black american players because their athleticism, shooting, dunking, defense, and swagger is some of the best you can find on any field or court, I like watching Yao because he is really the first Chinese player to have an impact in the NBA - he has size, fundamentals, and he is a pretty funny guy. I think Nene is pretty cool too.

The thing is when I am watching basketball I am not focused on the fact that Dirk is white and Webber is black - I am thinking these are two of the best big men of our time leaving it all out there, and the product is extremly entertaining, even if the guy/team I am rooting for loses.

i agree...1 of the most popular athletes in history was Michael Jordan...i don't think the color of his skin had anything to do w/why people idolized him...maybe greatness just transcends race, & in Michael Jordan's case, transcends the sport entirely...i think that's what Magic was talking about when he mentioned Larry Bird & the respect he gets among blacks & whites alike...i'm Asian, & i don't idolize Yao Ming just because he's Asian...i admire him for his talent & game...same goes for all the rest of the NBA players i admire.

a big problem IMO is that there aren't any more Magic's, Bird's, Jordan's, Doctor J's...guys who revolutionized the game & the popularity of the sport who were the type of players who the media could portray as heroes to the kids who admired them...now we have Allen Iverson & his domestic disputes being reported on by the media, Kobe Bryant getting accused of rape & admitting to cheating on his wife, players getting caught w/weed & guns at airports, players getting into late night brawls at Strip Clubs, arrested for DUI's, etc...those types of things can't be helping matters for the NBA to revive its image with the general public.
martin
USA
6/11/2004  3:57 PM
Posted by jazz74:
Posted by martin:
Posted by jazz74:

come on, martin. you know what i mean. sometimes what people say are very powerful and could start ripple effects. it is hard to shake that stigmatation. like isiah's comments about larry bird 15 years ago. i am sure that a person like thomas could have had many more offers for jobs and a lot sooner but there are people who remember him agreeing on a comment. not saying but just agreeing with a teammate. so what it was supposed to be a "positive" generalization. just becuase it was positive gives him the right to categorize the whole race? practically saying the nba is too black is "positive"? like i said, i do not think he really meant to categorize anybody but it is all semantics. you need to be careful about how you word things. i agree that race is a topic that are too sensitive for most people including african americans. but a person dealing with the media almost on a daily basis since the age of 19 should know better.

Oh I do know what you mean, but you get my point too.

I think Larry's comment about black athletes being the best in the world was an OK comment; verily, no one gets hurt and it was a generalization and an observation and not meant to be derogatory (and would be a stretch to think that that particular could be construed as derogatory or demeaning). Needing more white players in the NBA... that can certainly be taken a few different ways (marketing perspective vs. too many black athletes).

Bird is a person who is in a position that is noticeable, so are a lot of people. Doesn’t mean that they are not stupid or won’t say stupid things. Everyone should realize that. I would be concerned if Larry was talking about this at a school or in an interview for Kids Sport Illustrated. He answered a question in an ESPN interview. You KNOW that ESPN was looking to sensationalize the whole thing, and most likely asked him the question on purpose hoping for the response he gave. Why no outcry or badmouthing for ESPN?
OasisBU
USA
6/11/2004  4:42 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by OasisBU:

i agree...1 of the most popular athletes in history was Michael Jordan...i don't think the color of his skin had anything to do w/why people idolized him...maybe greatness just transcends race, & in Michael Jordan's case, transcends the sport entirely...i think that's what Magic was talking about when he mentioned Larry Bird & the respect he gets among blacks & whites alike...i'm Asian, & i don't idolize Yao Ming just because he's Asian...i admire him for his talent & game...same goes for all the rest of the NBA players i admire.

a big problem IMO is that there aren't any more Magic's, Bird's, Jordan's, Doctor J's...guys who revolutionized the game & the popularity of the sport who were the type of players who the media could portray as heroes to the kids who admired them...now we have Allen Iverson & his domestic disputes being reported on by the media, Kobe Bryant getting accused of rape & admitting to cheating on his wife, players getting caught w/weed & guns at airports, players getting into late night brawls at Strip Clubs, arrested for DUI's, etc...those types of things can't be helping matters for the NBA to revive its image with the general public.

You are right, we have no more Jordan's, Doctor J's, Magic's etc - guys who played amazing ball on the court and had class off of it. However I think a large part of the problem with todays players is noot only their actions, but the sensationalization that the media does to every little thing pro athletes and celebrities do. The line between being an athlete and a celebrity has become more hazy lately.

People like to read about the bad things people do instead of reflecting on the positive. That is a problem with society as a whole. Players have a responsiblity to represent themselves in a classy positive manner because they are role models for all of us. However they are human and make mistakes - the media chooses to focus on those mistakes and turn them into "news."

There are a lot of problems with our country. The racial tension here is at an all time high - it may nto be publicly spoken out about but nobody has delt with the issues in a positive way since the days of MLK. Society has taken a major downturn with its focus on the negative actions of a select few who are glorified through the press. One day you are famous for having talent, the next you are ebing ripped to shreds by the media because you have become too successful. Watch the news, its only bad things they are telling us. How many people died in Iraq today, how many terror plots are currently in action against the US and its allies, how terrible the economy is, etc.

They never focus on the fact that our economy is recovering (slowly, but it is coming back pretty strong). That most celebrities and sports players do good things with thier money to support the communities surrounding them, that a free Iraq really is a big deal in a part of the world that has been troubled since the days of early man. America is buying into what that little box called TV tells them...and the problem is when people speak their minds, when they tell the truth, the media shuts them down and paints them as villains.

My point is the media is as much to blame for the negative way players are portrayed in the NBA as the players themselves.
Larry Bird's comments

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy