[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Larry Bird's comments
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/10/2004  12:40 PM
i personally thought larry bird's comments were inappropriate for a person in his position. it is on par with what george karl did two years ago. then i went to espn and voted. most of the people voting said that all of the comments were not offensive. that is ridiculous.
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/10/2004  12:53 PM
In what way were they offensive? He said things that were facts, it shouldn't offend anybody if they're told the truth.
#Knickstaps
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/10/2004  12:57 PM
For reference:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-06-08-bird-interview_x.htm

I didn't find the comments offensive at all....ok maybe this one:
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me — red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game
PURE KNICKS LOVE
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/10/2004  1:04 PM
Posted - 06/10/2004 : 12:59:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Bird said he viewed it as a sign of disrespect when a white player was assigned to defend him.
"I really got irritated," Bird said. "A white guy would come out [and] I would always ask him, 'What, did you have a problem with your coach?' And he'd go 'no,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' "

Bird also claimed the NBA could benefit from having more white players of all-star caliber to please white fans.

"The majority of fans are white America," he said. "And if you had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it's a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Now there isn't anything wrong with it but what is the reason for his comments? He's right but did he need to say that?

Take it this way if it were coming from a black man talking about white players would it have been blown up?

When you bring race into any conversation it's never good.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
trueknicksfan
Member: #646
6/10/2004  1:07 PM
*cough* Jermaine via Knickerbockers !

I wish that were only true
Bird will not let this happen ...
He will never let him go to Isiah !!!
(His Racism won't let him go to Isiah)
That comment wasn't really a put down to African Americans...
But who knows wut he is really thinking :D

[Edited by - trueknicksfan on 06/10/2004 13:12:46]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/10/2004  1:37 PM
to me, i don't see much of a difference between Larry Bird's comments & Jimmy the Greek's comments that got him canned from Sports commentating a few years back...obviously, they weren't as severe, but the message was pretty much the same, & that is that white people are inferior athletes to black people...

if you agree with that generalization, maybe someone should ask Lance Armstrong, Pete Sampras, Bruce Jenner, Wayne Gretzky, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Tommy Moe (Champion Skier), Amy Van Dyken (6-time Olympic Gold medal winning swimmer) & countless other decathletes, weightlifters, marathon runners, triathletes, speed skaters, swimmers, etc. what their views would be on this statement by Larry Bird.

look, to Larry Bird, he may have been speaking his mind, but when you make these kinds of generalizing statements without thinking about the actual facts, you are opening up a huge can of worms that you KNOW will be dissected by the media & analyzed by the general public to the letter of what you supposedly are saying...so why even go there? don't these athletes, coaches & other people in the public eye know by now that any comment they say having anything to do w/race will be very carefully scrutinized? (& rightfully so considering the negative connotations that could potentially be derived from any such comments dealing w/race, religion & sexual preference)

in my opinion, all Larry Bird did was to prove that he doesn't know what he's talking about...he's drawing from his limited scope of judging basketball players only & making this all-encompassing statement that blacks are better athletes than whites...he should have thought about what he was saying before he said it, because it was an ignorant thing to say...offensive? who knows...i'm not white so who am i to say?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/10/2004  1:41 PM
He didn't say anything to offend black people. He was actually very complimentary of African-Americans. The only people that would be offended by this are white people.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/10/2004  1:42 PM
He should've said blacks are better basketball players. You made a good point about the athletes.
#Knickstaps
Andrew
USA
6/10/2004  1:53 PM
Posted by TMS:

to me, i don't see much of a difference between Larry Bird's comments & Jimmy the Greek's comments that got him canned from Sports commentating a few years back...obviously, they weren't as severe, but the message was pretty much the same, & that is that white people are inferior athletes to black people...

What? To clarify...

Jimmy the Greek's comments were: "blacks are better at sports because of slave plantation breeding techniques"

Larry said: "the greatest athletes in the world are African-American"

Please tell me you can see a difference between the two.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/10/2004  2:08 PM
Also, didn't Jimmy The Greek referred to a black player as a monkey?
TMS
USA
6/10/2004  2:15 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by TMS:

What? To clarify...

Jimmy the Greek's comments were: "blacks are better at sports because of slave plantation breeding techniques"

Larry said: "the greatest athletes in the world are African-American"

Please tell me you can see a difference between the two.

if you notice, i did say that Jimmy the Greek's comments were more severe...but the message was basically the same, that white athletes were inferior to black athletes...that's the only point i was making here...& tell me after reading my post whether or not you think Larry Bird was qualified to make that statement.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
USA
6/10/2004  2:16 PM
I don't see why Larry would not be qualified to make that statement. Do you?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
bernard
Member: #475
6/10/2004  2:18 PM
I don't think Larry's comments were insulting to African Americans. They were insulting to whites, IMO. Not only the trash talking about white guys covering him. I don't really care about that ... just Larry's version of talking smack. But I do take issue with the idea that the game would be more popular w/ more white stars.

First off, I think it's just plain wrong. Many of the country's most idolized figures in sports and entertainment as a whole are African American, and it's been that way for decades. You don't hear retired rappers saying hip hop would be more popular if we could just find another great white artist. The idea is absurd. This country has enough lingering problems with racism. We don't need to imagine ones that don't exist.
Andrew
USA
6/10/2004  2:22 PM
Posted by bernard:

But I do take issue with the idea that the game would be more popular w/ more white stars.

I think Larry's statement is shown to be a valid one when you look at Yao's impact in the popularity of the NBA amongst Asians.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
6/10/2004  2:23 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I don't see why Larry would not be qualified to make that statement. Do you?

it's because what he said was shortsighted...the greatest athletes aren't necessarily black...didn't you read through the list of examples i just gave you? you think because Larry Bird played pro basketball that he's somehow qualified to make this type of all-encompassing statement? i sure don't.
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/10/2004  2:30 PM
Posted by bernard:

I don't think Larry's comments were insulting to African Americans. They were insulting to whites, IMO. Not only the trash talking about white guys covering him. I don't really care about that ... just Larry's version of talking smack. But I do take issue with the idea that the game would be more popular w/ more white stars.

First off, I think it's just plain wrong. Many of the country's most idolized figures in sports and entertainment as a whole are African American, and it's been that way for decades. You don't hear retired rappers saying hip hop would be more popular if we could just find another great white artist. The idea is absurd. This country has enough lingering problems with racism. We don't need to imagine ones that don't exist.
eminem anybody?
Andrew
USA
6/10/2004  2:33 PM
TMS, Larry gave his opinion. It may be right or wrong but he does not need to be 'qualified' to do so. Based on his experience and knowledge he said what he thought. You can disagree, but why do you think he shouldn't be able to make such a statement?...or since when does someone have to be qualified to give their opinion?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/10/2004  2:38 PM
Posted by TMS:

you think because Larry Bird played pro basketball that he's somehow qualified to make this type of all-encompassing statement? i sure don't.

This is funny. One of the great professional sports figures of our time makes a general comment about other sports figures and you don't think that qualifies him?

The who is qualified then?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/10/2004  3:19 PM
this is a man who is the president of operation of a team. he is making generalizations about a race. and that is not offensive? it is not just some shmoe who is playing 6th man on a team. this is a person of power. would a teacher be right if he said " you asians should get A's on the math test"? or a ceo who said that whites have more business sense than blacks? how is this any different than parcell's dumb comments earlier this week? these are the same stereotypes african-americans have been fighting for centuries. then to basically say that we need more white players and the nba is black. that is not alarming?
TMS
USA
6/10/2004  3:30 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:

you think because Larry Bird played pro basketball that he's somehow qualified to make this type of all-encompassing statement? i sure don't.

This is funny. One of the great professional sports figures of our time makes a general comment about other sports figures and you don't think that qualifies him?

The who is qualified then?

the opinion is shortsighted, & wrong...or didn't you read the examples i gave? you want to make sweeping general statements like this, then you should THINK about what you're saying from a broader standpoint then the limited pool of athletes he's drawing from who have played in the NBA...there are lots of other races of people who excell in other sports who are not necessarily black, or didn't you know that?
Larry Bird's comments

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy