[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kobe?-Possible?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/9/2004  4:47 PM
it all boils down to what Kobe decides he wants to do...i've never once heard that NY was the only place he'd be interested in playing, so until i do hear that, all this is debate is pointless.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/9/2004  5:31 PM
Posted by TMS:

it all boils down to what Kobe decides he wants to do...i've never once heard that NY was the only place he'd be interested in playing, so until i do hear that, all this is debate is pointless.

Exactly, its all up to Kobe in the end. If Kobe visits NY and likes it so much that he tells the Lakers he will only accept a trade to NY or opt out of his contract, then LA will definitely take TT, Frankie and a first rounder for Kobe. As fishmike said, its better than nothing. TT and Frankie would still keep them competitive anyway as long as LA holds on to Shaq.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/9/2004  6:57 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

If getting Kobe would cost us Marbury, then I dont want him.

I'm proud to say I'm a Kobe-Hater.

I'm a hater too but the dude has real game.

I think he would be fine in NY. He already has a spot on the team. Trading for him wouldn't be a good idea. The Knicks are strapped for talent as it is. Trading for Kobe wouldn't make the Knicks better.

Kobe already had the endorsements and a max contract. I'm telling you man if he comes to NY he would for the 5 mill just to stick it in everyones face and paint his own place in the history books.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/10/2004  12:40 AM
If getting Kobe would cost us Marbury, then I dont want him.
Agreed

The question is simple... Knowing that they can and will lose Kobe for nothing do they agree to a sign and trade with the Knicks

Maybe; there are few reasons why they might not, though. First, they might think Kobe was bluffing. Second, they might want to set a clear precendent to future free agents that they're not going to be bullied into sign and trades. Third, the LA fan uproar would probably be bigger if they did the TT trade you mentioned than if they lost him for nothing, even though the team would obviously be better off doing the trade you mentioned. In the end, if Kobe puts them in this situation, I think the Lakers will stubbornly make the same mistake with Kobe that the Raptors made with T-Mac
TheSage
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #386
6/10/2004  7:03 AM
I would still stay that any scenario for Kobe to come to NY is unlikely however, Kobe has lost some of his endorsements because of the the little problem in Colo. and the advertising home is still NY. He might then want to move. Then, assuming he does get off (and from a legal standpoint that is probable), the league would like Kobe in one of two places (NY or LA. LA may want to retool while remaining a contender as long as Shaq keeps playing so that a package of FWill, Nazr, expiring contracts and draft choices is not out of the realm of possibility. If LA is not of a mind to retool for the post Shaq era-Kobe "aint goin' nowhere"

[Edited by - TheSage on 06/10/2004 07:05:17]
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
6/10/2004  11:22 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

<clip> ...
Kobe already had the endorsements and a max contract. I'm telling you man if he comes to NY he would for the 5 mill just to stick it in everyones face and paint his own place in the history books.

Dude you're delirious! The guy is NOT going to turn down $15 Mil PER YEAR! to come and play in NY. Do you realize how much money that is?
OK, now do you realize how much money that is over, say, 3 years? Quit dreaming.
flyingvee
Member: #405
6/10/2004  11:51 AM
Don't be surprised to see a McGrady for Brynat Swap. MAcGrady has shown to be a quitter which is part of the Orlando downfall. Poor managemant added to the curse of Grant Hill. T-Mac and Shaq are buddies and said they will play together, though the idiots here thought that meant Shaq was to rejoin the Magic after next year. T-Mac goes to LA and has Shaq, Bryant goes to Orlando which is much better than last years record indicates, add Okafur and some others and Brynat has his own team to lead.

Logic though would say if he really wants to etch his place in history and overtake Jordan that NY would be the place to do it. THe Lakers claiming they won't do a sign and trade is nonsense. I'm sure they know exactly how Shaq screwed the MAgic when he left them without them getting back anything in return, so if Bryant says he'll leave, I'm sure they'll take something over nothing.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/10/2004  12:00 PM
Kobe will insert as much leverage as he can. If he wants NY, he must create a sign and trade. He will no doubt negotiate with Phx and SA and could very will go there. His agent then suggests his clinet will permit a NY trade and trade if the Knicks and Lakers can work it out. Marbury would be a good fit for the lakes. They can rid themselves of Payton, whom might be inspired to sign on with knicks for a small amount. We continue to groom frank or seek others.

Marbury for Kobe, or the lakes lose him for nothing. Thats how the leverage must be set, and Kobe must be willing to either dictate what he really wants in LA (it could be about that), or accept Denver, Clips, SA or the Suns as alternatives. Or Detroit!

What might Mrs. Kobe want?

And the legal issues!
trueknicksfan
Member: #646
6/10/2004  12:44 PM
Marbury is an awesome player, one of the best point guards if not the best, in my opinion he has loads of talent...

Trading Starbury for Kobe ain't going to accomplish much at all.
The key here is to have Marbury + Kobe on the same team, to have one
of the sickest backcourts ever!

So ok, we have pratically nothing to offer, you think a good trade will happen for Kobe? IE: Mcgrady for Kobe are you guyz nuts lol if I were kobe I would not allow that to happen... Mcgrady on the Lakers is crazy also, Lakers will still be sick

You guyz gotta picture whoever gets traded for Kobe will end up on the Lakers as well.. how will Kobe win a championship like that lol.

The other side to this is the cash , who can reject a ton of cash?
Well like I saw a post earlier before wut a better way to win a championship than in NY. Of course we will offer him cash later...But what it narrows down to is...

Will Kobe want to take that big pay cut to achieve "greatness" wut will be huge on his reputation? So it comes down to it all happening.. we still need work...but thats one hell of a start the rest of the changes to the knicks roster just got a hell of a lot easier... You would think if your roster will obtain Kobe your set lol, not at the knicks present roster...There are some sick teams out there!

I think Kobe will come to the Knicks...Thats wut great players are all about isn't it?

PS: I'm new to this forum, sup?

[Edited by - trueknicksfan on 06/10/2004 13:02:26]
TMS
USA
6/10/2004  1:35 PM
Posted by flyingvee:

Don't be surprised to see a McGrady for Brynat Swap. MAcGrady has shown to be a quitter which is part of the Orlando downfall. Poor managemant added to the curse of Grant Hill. T-Mac and Shaq are buddies and said they will play together, though the idiots here thought that meant Shaq was to rejoin the Magic after next year. T-Mac goes to LA and has Shaq, Bryant goes to Orlando which is much better than last years record indicates, add Okafur and some others and Brynat has his own team to lead.

Logic though would say if he really wants to etch his place in history and overtake Jordan that NY would be the place to do it. THe Lakers claiming they won't do a sign and trade is nonsense. I'm sure they know exactly how Shaq screwed the MAgic when he left them without them getting back anything in return, so if Bryant says he'll leave, I'm sure they'll take something over nothing.

are you not listening to anything that's being said here? it's up to KOBE where he wants to go next year, NOT the Lakers...do you think he's going to agree to a sign & trade to go from the best team in the NBA to the WORST? think about it...he doesn't have to agree to go anywhere he doesn't want to go...the ball is fully in his court.

now if you think he's going to turn down mega millions just so he can play in NY, then i think you're reaching there, but who the hell knows what Kobe ever thinks about? he's not your average basketball player, that's for sure...he doesn't think the way everyone else thinks...i'd be totally shocked to see him agree to that though...i could picture him going to the Clippers or to the Spurs alot more than signing here for a MLE deal.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
flyingvee
6/10/2004  3:07 PM
LOL Simmer down guys. I did not say he wants to go to Orlando or not. I'm saying he has always wanted to prove that he can lead a team. Plus the Magic despite their atrocious record last year are not the worst team in the league. With Okafur this year and Hill coming back along with GArrity and a new point guard via F/A the Magic look to make more noise than NY will at their present roster.

PG - FA/Lue
SG - Bryant/Bogans
sf - Hill/Garrity
pf - Howard/Gooden
C - Okafur/FA or draft pick

You guys don't realize that Orlando sunk becasue T-Mac could not carry that tream, HE IS NOT A LEADER. Bryant would have kept the team afloat. Besides what better way for Bryant to show the world how much better than T-Mac he is than to lead them where T-MAc couldn't?
TMS
USA
6/10/2004  3:27 PM
i agree, T-Mac isn't a leader...i made a very critical thread about him about a week ago when he started threatening the Magic about leaving if they didn't trade him to a team of his choice...

but again, Kobe Bryant going to Orlando is less realistic than him coming to NY imho, because really, what does Kobe have to gain by going there? he would have better recognition, more endorsements & better prestige by coming to NY over Orlando...

of course, not to make it sound like i think Kobe is coming here...but there's no way he's going to end up in Orlando imo.
Bonn1997
USA
6/10/2004  4:28 PM
and Hill coming back

Sorry but I started laughing so hard after I read that that I couldn't even finish reading the rest of your message
flyingvee
6/10/2004  8:54 PM
Glad to humor you LOL You know, Hill was a good guy and I'd love to see him come back, even if it were just at 70%. Chances are he is done, but gotta see what he has left.
Bonn1997
USA
6/10/2004  10:36 PM
Posted by flyingvee:

Glad to humor you LOL You know, Hill was a good guy and I'd love to see him come back, even if it were just at 70%. Chances are he is done, but gotta see what he has left.

I'd love to see him come back, but to casually state it as a *given* that he will be back is just silly
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/11/2004  4:09 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by flyingvee:

I'd love to see him come back, but to casually state it as a *given* that he will be back is just silly

sillier than thinking that houston won't ever be the same player without having any info about it ?
Bonn1997
USA
6/11/2004  12:18 PM
I don't understand your Allan Houston statement. I guess if someone was not paying any attention and had no information about Houston (not sure who you're refering to), then that statement would be silly too
Kobe?-Possible?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy