6/9/2004  8:26 AM
or ...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/25437.htm
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/9/2004  11:14 AM
serious pipe dream. i knew these rumors will float around the next couple of months until he signs somewhere( if not the likely, which is most likely, then phoenix). we are not getting him. all free agents will say they will talk to teams. whether they sign is another story. especially someone like kobe who should make the max and we have only $5.5 million to offer.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/9/2004  11:40 AM
Kobe would be nuts not to make his money while he is young. Denver seems like a wicked choice because he's have Carmelo.

It's up to Kobe though.....

Jordan played alot of years under a bullshyte contract so did Pippen until they later signed for big money.

Like I said the last time this topic came up.....Kobe is a ****y dude and for him to come to NY and win a title......he'd get the respect he wants from the basketball community. Guys know Kobe can score but they put the "but he has Shaq" stamp on him. I feel the same way about that Shaq statement.....I know Kobe is sick of hearing it and he would love to get his own team and carry them to the Championship.

I doubt he would do it but like I explained....there is reason enough for him to consider playing and winning in the worlds most famous arena.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/9/2004  11:55 AM
It is funny how the morning after Kobe has this fantastic MJ like performance, we start seeing these articles...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/9/2004  12:13 PM
The Post must not be selling enough newspapers these days.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
6/9/2004  12:18 PM
maybe they should fire berman...
bernard
Member: #475
6/9/2004  12:54 PM
Putting all the well-founded skepticism aside for the minute (I don't believe Kobe's going to be traded either), would you trade Stephon for Kobe straight up? I would in a NY minute. I like Steph, but Kobe's got the rings. He's also proven himself to be a better crunch-time performer IMO.
NYK4
Member: #549
6/9/2004  1:25 PM
eventho its very a slim chance....if KOBE does indeed get traded to the knicks....I'm going to get a big boner. jp. just over ecstatic

hahaha actually, i don't know how happy i will be becuz a perennial superstar rarely comes to ny or ever lands in ny. and stephon is a star but not a superstar. i would trade anyone from the knicks. i love starbury but he's not the next thing closest to MJ. time to trade h20 for kobe on my nba2k4.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/9/2004  2:42 PM
Posted by bernard:

Putting all the well-founded skepticism aside for the minute (I don't believe Kobe's going to be traded either), would you trade Stephon for Kobe straight up? I would in a NY minute. I like Steph, but Kobe's got the rings. He's also proven himself to be a better crunch-time performer IMO.

If Kobe isnt going to be spending anymore time with the Colorado penal system then you have to do that trade. Kobe is younger, far superior in terms of athletic skills and knowledge, is a much bigger draw for ticket and jersey sales, etc. Marbury for all his hype, does not come clost to matching Kobe.

Kobe won't be traded though..they will get rid of Jackson and possibly Shaq before they let him walk.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/9/2004  3:17 PM
think about it for a minute. Kobe can opt out, making him an unrestricted FA. At which point he can EASILY take a max deal with someone like the Pistons, Suns, Hawks, Jazz, Nuggets, Spurs or Clippers (give or a take a few mill). The question is simple... Knowing that they can and will lose Kobe for nothing do they agree to a sign and trade with the Knicks... for say Tim Thomas, Frank Williams, a future #1 and $3 mill. Obviously thats a lopsided deal, but the Lakers gain nothing by letting him walk (they arent close to being under the cap). So if your Kobe (and the Knicks) and thats what you offer to LA do they take it? Its certainly better than nothing. Kobe has said publicly he loves the Garden, so his desire isnt that far fetched either. If you have Kobe and Marbury on board selling the MLE to a guy like Dampier should be pretty easy IMO.

Obviously its a total long shot but when you look at how a deal like that would unfold its not impossible.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jazz74
Member: #371
6/9/2004  3:24 PM
Posted by fishmike:

think about it for a minute. Kobe can opt out, making him an unrestricted FA. At which point he can EASILY take a max deal with someone like the Pistons, Suns, Hawks, Jazz, Nuggets, Spurs or Clippers (give or a take a few mill). The question is simple... Knowing that they can and will lose Kobe for nothing do they agree to a sign and trade with the Knicks... for say Tim Thomas, Frank Williams, a future #1 and $3 mill. Obviously thats a lopsided deal, but the Lakers gain nothing by letting him walk (they arent close to being under the cap). So if your Kobe (and the Knicks) and thats what you offer to LA do they take it? Its certainly better than nothing. Kobe has said publicly he loves the Garden, so his desire isnt that far fetched either. If you have Kobe and Marbury on board selling the MLE to a guy like Dampier should be pretty easy IMO.

Obviously its a total long shot but when you look at how a deal like that would unfold its not impossible.

again the only way that will work is if kobe force the lakers' hand. he must agree with the sign and trade. and let's say that the word leaks out that the lakers want to trade kobe, there are more than 20 other teams that would trade ANYBODY on their roster to acquire him. you think orlando won't give up mcgrady? or philly giving up iverson? and we want to give them tim thomas, frank williams, number one pick and cash. come on.
tkf
6/9/2004  3:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

good post fishmike, but Kobe has to sell that to the lakers, make him them believe that he will walk. I know he won't play in Atlanta, I mean I live here and right now this team is going nowhere, so he must make them believe that he would go to a team like the spurs, right in their own conference, that should put a scare in them, hey, give them TT, frankie and a future #1 that should still keep the lakers competitive or maybe they will take Houston if healthy... either way you have a good point, but it is up to Kobe to apply the pressure..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
6/9/2004  3:29 PM
Posted by jazz74:
Posted by fishmike:

again the only way that will work is if kobe force the lakers' hand. he must agree with the sign and trade. and let's say that the word leaks out that the lakers want to trade kobe, there are more than 20 other teams that would trade ANYBODY on their roster to acquire him. you think orlando won't give up mcgrady? or philly giving up iverson? and we want to give them tim thomas, frank williams, number one pick and cash. come on.

the key here is, if Kobe forces their hands, he will obviously force them to trade him to NY( if this is where he wants to be) or he can walk. It doesn't matter who comes with offers, because Kobe would have to want to play there... That is what a lot of people keep missing. So what if a team offers it's whole roster and all their picks, Kobe has to want to play there, and why would he want to go to orlando after watching the Hell Mcgrady went through last year....
TMS
USA
6/9/2004  3:39 PM
we need to sell Kobe's wife on all the nice, expensive jewelery stores in NY's diamond district! that's the key!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/9/2004  3:41 PM
kobe isnt going any place. he's set to make the secondary max contract like marbury - 20mm per year -- he can by far make the most with the lakers and at the end of the day he will be a laker.

the lakers would NEVER accept tim thomas for kobe not in a million pipe dreams. stephon marbury isnt a horrible prize but still not enough. you dont give up the best player without getting something close but its a pipedream anyway kobe will be a laker he lost his endorsement deals has spent a LOT of money this year and at the end of the day will take the highest $
RIP Crushalot😞
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/9/2004  3:48 PM
If getting Kobe would cost us Marbury, then I dont want him.

I'm proud to say I'm a Kobe-Hater.
TMS
USA
6/9/2004  4:19 PM
if he was wearing a Blue & Orange #8 jersey, I'd be able to convert no problem.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/9/2004  4:21 PM
why are you talking about the Lakers trading Kobe? If he opts out they CANT trade him... he's a FA.

Kobe DOES have options. Plenty of them. They arent many good FAs and there are a handfull of teams with capspace. If Phil stays Kobe goes, and Kobe's won 3 titles in the LA circus, you can tell he's sick of it. So if Kobe opts out (which everyone thinks he is) the scenario is simple. The Lakers can accomodate his wish for a sign and trade to the Knicks and get TT, Frank and cash back, OR they can say good bye to Kobe and hope like hell they can sign Steven Jackson with the MLE, unless you think Kareem Rush is ready to fill Kobe's role. Kobe can then let 10 teams big for his services.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
6/9/2004  4:44 PM
thats true fishmike, and it would behoove the lakers to sign and trade Kobe to the knicks if that what he wanted and get him out of the western conference. Could you imagine the uproar in LA if Kobe sticks it to the lakers and signs with the spurs and teams up with Duncan.... LA if anything would want to deal with the knicks just to keep Kobe out of San Antonio... Don't think for one minute that the Lakers are not thinking of that scenario happenning...
Kobe?-Possible?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy