[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would the Bulls match Crawford for the MLE?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/8/2004  7:07 PM
If the Knicks do decide to pursue Crawford and try to obtain, would they have to trade with the Bulls or would they be able to get him for the MLE without the Bulls matching.

Logic tells me the Bulls would match, as he's one of their better players, but if Paxson stays true to his plan of getting more hard-nosed players with positive attitudes, he might just let Crawford walk.

I think Crawford is perfect for NY. His consistency will come with time, but they need a legitimate 2nd scorer who can create his own shot, and with the decline of Houston, if that 2nd scorer was a shooting guard would be all the more better. I think it'd be ideal to have Houston as the starter but Crawford eat up most of the minutes as a 6th man, maybe playing like 32 mpg while Houston only plays in the 20s.

Maybe Isiah is looking to reconstruct his Bad Boy teams, or at least something in that mold. Obviously this team is nowhere near the defensive level of those teams, but the guard rotation of Marbury and Crawford would at least remind some of Thomas and Dumars in my opinion.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/8/2004  8:14 PM
Yea I would love to see us get Crawford this summer and I think it will happen. Honestly though, I don't know if Chicago would match our offer, I don't think anyone really knows except Paxson himself. I know for sure that Paxson doesn't want Crawford there but he might still match an offer just so he wouldn't lose Craw for nothing. I think the only way we will be able to get Crawford is by a sign and trade where we would also have to take Antonio Davis or Jerome Williams back. So if I'm Isiah I try to get Dampier for the MLE then I try to do a sign and trade for Crawford. Just getting those two players alone would help improve our team a lot.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/8/2004  8:46 PM
just for argument's sake, if the Bulls were offering Jamal Crawford, Antonio Davis & Jerome Williams for Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas, Dikembe Mutombo & Shandon Anderson, would you make the trade?

C - Davis / Nazr
PF - Sweetney / JYD / Othella
SF - Penny / DerMarr (LLE)
SG - Houston / Crawford
PG - Marbury / Frank / Moochie
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/8/2004  8:51 PM
No I wouldn't do that trade because I think we would be giving up too much in that trade by including TT and Kurt. I think we will be able to get Craw for less.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
6/8/2004  8:55 PM
I do think there will be a trade of some sorts as well regarding the BULLS and Knicks. I believe that Crawford will be in NY come next season.. BUT I think it will be at a heavy asking price.

I don't see Chicago being intrigued to match an offer for the Full MLE.. but they won't just allow him to walk away either. Look for them to attempt to pawn off one of there more hefty contracts in addition to J.C... AND rest assured that NYK will bite the bullet on this one.

It'll probably be something like the expiring contracts of Deke, Harrington and cash considerations for JYD and Crawford. I don't know but I think Chicago wil want to gain something from loosing J-Crawford!!
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
TMS
USA
6/8/2004  8:58 PM
Posted by s3231:

No I wouldn't do that trade because I think we would be giving up too much in that trade by including TT and Kurt. I think we will be able to get Craw for less.

you might have a point, but imo, the Knicks will have to overpay if they want to get a young guy w/upside like Crawford & not have to give up Sweetney or Frank in the process...i just don't really care about giving up Kurt Thomas in any trade if that deal nets us a young player w/star potential...& Tim Thomas would be a hard player to give up, but to unload Shandon Anderson, i might just consider it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/8/2004  9:30 PM
From what I've read, I doubt Chicago will match an MLE offer. I want the Knicks to obtain Crawf and Dampier this summer (one via MLE and one via sign and trade). That would be a dream summer.
BigSm00th
USA
6/8/2004  9:57 PM
"just for argument's sake, if the Bulls were offering Jamal Crawford, Antonio Davis & Jerome Williams for Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas, Dikembe Mutombo & Shandon Anderson, would you make the trade?"

Though it's tempting becuase they get rid of Shandon, no way. Crawford's a nice player to add, but you're also taking on their two biggest contracts, giving up TWO starters and and an expiring contract just to get a young 2G who might not even start?? Way too much. If they put in Chandler I'd mull it over, and if it was KT + expiring contracts for a resigned Crawford and Chandler I'd probably do it, but for that package, no way.

"From what I've read, I doubt Chicago will match an MLE offer. I want the Knicks to obtain Crawf and Dampier this summer (one via MLE and one via sign and trade). That would be a dream summer." They'd be a solid team, but which one do you get with the MLE and which through a trade? I'd say you get Crawford via trade, becuase with the Bulls two big contracts (Davis and Williams) the Knicks could take back and give expiring contracts, it'd be more feasible. I don't think GS wants anything the Knicks have.
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/8/2004  10:06 PM
from what I heard and read, the bulls will match a MLE. I mean to get craw for 5 mil per year is a friggin steal...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
6/8/2004  10:10 PM
fair enough, but also remember that Shandon & Jerome's contracts even out monetarily, & i think we can all agree that JYD fits this team's needs & personality goals alot more than Shandon Anderson does.

Antonio Davis is signed through the '06 season at $12.5 million annual salary average, which is a little less than Tim Thomas...so the question is basically, do you value Tim & Kurt more than you do Jamal & Davis? personally, i would rather have Antonio Davis than Kurt Thomas on the Knicks next season, & Jamal Crawford can grow into the next franchise SG for this team to take Houston's place...Dikembe's contract is strictly $4 million dollars worth of cap relief for the Bulls to help make the deal more attractive to them.
BigSm00th
USA
6/9/2004  12:30 AM
"i would rather have Antonio Davis than Kurt Thomas" I view Davis as a shell of his former self and would much rather have KT over Davis at this point. I just think you give up too much. I agree about JYD, I love his game and would like to add him, but I think TT is the best 3rd option you can have averaging a quiet 15 ppg and he has good size at the 3. Not sure if DerMarr is ready to give you that much as a backup (if anything at all), and Penny is going to be OK for how much more, 1-2 more years, before a steady decline happens?

Long term wise, the Knicks are getting a young 2G and two 30 something Fs with big contracts while the Bulls are taking a versatile 3, a still effective and probably in the prime of his career 4, and cap space. Maybe they put in something else, Isiah will have to play hardball.
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
6/9/2004  12:34 AM
"i would rather have Antonio Davis than Kurt Thomas" I view Davis as a shell of his former self and would much rather have KT over Davis at this point.

Kurt's a much better player than Davis. I'll take Kurt even with only nine healthy fingers over Davis with ten.
BigSm00th
USA
6/9/2004  12:44 AM
I'm with Bonn here. Last year in the same amount of time Kurt averaged 11 and 8 and Antonio averaged 9 and 8. KT shot better from the field and from the line, and is younger. He's also a better defender and better on the pick and roll.
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/9/2004  12:55 AM
Again the key questions remains.. why wouldn't chicago match the knicks offer of the full MLE. I mean that is a steal for chicago if they match?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/9/2004  3:50 AM
they will mathc cause they know they'll be able to tarde him easily even if he's signed forthe max MLE.

He's young, and full of potential. If he imporved a bit, he would be a hell of a bargain at that price.

Heck, maybe we should offer him the MLE, then they match him, then we do a sign and trade with no need to overpay...
TMS
USA
6/9/2004  9:54 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I'm with Bonn here. Last year in the same amount of time Kurt averaged 11 and 8 and Antonio averaged 9 and 8. KT shot better from the field and from the line, and is younger. He's also a better defender and better on the pick and roll.

& Antonio has the size advantage, he gives you an equally physical presence down low, is also a great post defender, can block shots, & can finish around the basket which is something KT has an inability to do...if the deal were Kurt for Davis straight up & the salaries were equal, i would probably not suggest this trade, but overall considering what they'd be giving up & what they could potentially be gaining, i would make this trade.

Kurt Thomas is a steady & solid player, but doesn't fit what this team needs right now...they have Sweetney waiting in the wings to take over at PF...they need a young potential star to take this team to the next level...they aren't going to get that from KT, Shandon or Deke, & Tim Thomas has yet to realize that "potential" that everyone always talks about after several years in the NBA, so why are we to believe he will all of a sudden realize it as a NY Knick?...i like Tim's game, i do...but i don't think he is the type of player who can take this team to the next level...he's a good complementary player to have, but i think Penny could bring similar production w/his overall game as a stopgap solution at SF until they get a younger & more talented replacement...i don't see this team as winning a title next year anyway...i think they should focus on the years to come & plan longterm

will they get that star player w/Jamal? who knows...i'm willing to take the gamble...& i think Isiah sees that in Jamal too...if he wants to play hardball & demand more in the trade, maybe the Bulls would be willing to give up their #32 pick? that may possibly net the Knicks David Harrison on top of getting Jamal Crawford...i think that would definitely be worth giving up that package.

of course, this will never happen, but i like to argue these fantasy trades...it's fun.
Bonn1997
USA
6/9/2004  2:13 PM
Posted by tkf:

Again the key questions remains.. why wouldn't chicago match the knicks offer of the full MLE. I mean that is a steal for chicago if they match?

The answer is because Chicago is stupid and everything I've read indicates that they will not match. They do not see him as part of their future and do not want to give him a 6 year $40 mil contract (the contract they'd have to match that the Knicks would offer). I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but that's what I've read in many articles.
Would the Bulls match Crawford for the MLE?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy